Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Old Fart posted:

Can you give us some hard numbers? Unless I'm reading the wrong thing, the budget said something like "$3000 overage that we need to figure out how to distribute."

How was it distributed? Post some YNAB screen caps.

Well we still had the student loan debt in August, and most of it went to the wedding after the debt was gone. The whole thing ended up being pretty complicated. We made and budgeted 8100 for August. Still not sure how it's all going to work out in September.

Some notes:
Home insurance just got paid for the next 12 months.
Misc goods is including a cord thing from BestBuy for a camera (leant to record the wedding), leaving it with the carryover amount is a reminder to take it back because it didn't fit. And a printer and some stuff that factored into my move.
My phone bill is crazy from the phone calls related to my move. Any overage in minutes is covered.
Fees is positive because of a weird NSF charge thing that got fixed.
Car maintenance is high because there's some mechanic work that the car needs like a new clock spring for the steering wheel and stuff.
Car insurance is high because we still have to transfer to an Alberta provider once I get my licence here (and then we can register the car here). I'd like to pay this in one lump sum to save the financing fee.

Oh, and this morning there was a $120 transfer into my account that I don't recognize, so I left it uncategorized until I call the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Fart posted:

Groovy, thanks. And wow, that's confusing. :)

So if I read it right, all of the inheritance and some of the buffer went to student loans? And it looks like there was a huge sports overage from a previous month? And what's this family entertainment? Or Misc Goods?

I'm mostly curious what happened to the $3k that was supposed to go to savings this month. I worry that you're not being honest with yourself. You said that 45-65% of your income was going to savings, so... where is it? I'm not really sure paying for a wedding the month it happens counts for "savings". That's just spending. In my mind, savings is loooong-term. Like, retirement or children.

You have your own goals and stuff, but a couple of weeks ago you said that $3100 was going to savings. Then it was going to be $2100 plus a $1k laptop. I don't even see a laptop line item, and I don't see even $2100 into savings.

Not trying to bust your balls, just giving feedback as requested in the OP.

E: FWIW, that's a really cheap wedding, so good for you on that. It's also awesome you're building up car maintenance savings. I'm just trying to keep you honest with yourself.

Thanks, and it's complicated. It's 3100 to savings/debt which is captured by that 14131.49 pre-YNAB Debt budgeted amount + the car loan. I just lump the two together because it's really the same goal. Once the debt is gone, then it's all savings. Paying off debt or funding an investment account both achieve the same thing: long-term financial health.

This month we used savings and a bit of that 3100 budget balance. Including the car payment as debt. Now that the student loan is gone, I think I'm saving to "Emergency fund" (maybe buffer is better?) to make that lump-sum payment to my car loan. So in the debt chart I post each month, it'll look like a large increase in savings and then a sudden decrease in savings and debt.

The wedding confounds things as far as the rest of the normal budget goes. The whole matrimony thing (over the past 8 months) cost a bit less than 6000, including 1800 for air fare and travel costs. I was hoping to keep it under 5000 (which is why it was 2100 this month instead of the planned 1100), but oh well!

The sports overage covered a membership fee for some toeshoes thing and a larger protein order than usual. I'm torn about the sports category because it's almost all stuff that we eat to save money on the grocery budget. Seems like we should count whey as groceries, protein bars as fun money, creatine and BCAAs as sports, and multivitamins as pharmacy. Right now it's all "Entertainment > sports", apparently because this is a discretionary expense. But a large part of our grocery bill is discretionary as well. :psyduck:

Grocery is over because we made a Costco staple run.

The three lines of his fun, her fun, and family fun, are basically one envelope with some granularity in it. So yeah, family entertainment is huge, but that's because we "borrowed" his fun and her fun as we did things together instead of individually. It's supposed to be 220 altogether, but we spent 270 and pulled money out of fuel which I overestimated, IIRC.

Finally, a lot of items like TV, Laptop, bicycle, vacation, are unfunded so I just took them out for the screenshot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Me in Reverse posted:

If we're talking 'YNAB Buffer' when you say buffer, no. Your buffer and your emergency savings should be separate entities, because they're two separate goals. The point of the buffer is to start living off of last month's income rather than paycheck to paycheck. Your emergency funds, ideally, shouldn't impact your buffer. The buffer is a 'lifestyle' type thing, emergency funds are for emergencies.

Yeah I don't really care what the line is called. "Emergency fund" isn't accurate for what I'll be using it for, though. I think we'll rename it to "Debt pool" or something.

cstine posted:

Sports should be food - if you eat it, it's food, unless it's for medical purposes, then it's a medical expense.

Also, you have a 'fees' category? What fees? Why are you paying fees?

$218 in phones? Didn't you get rid of phones and get cheap prepaids? Are the cheap prepaids costing you $218 a month?

And yes, $400+ in misc means you probably should have seperated categories for stuff since that's turning into a junkdrawer of your budget.

"Fees" was created to capture a few ATM fees :argh: that toeshoes incurred in some sort of housing emergency. That little slipup has cost us like $15 in tertiary bullshit from a cash advance. It's upsetting.

"Phones" is high because I had to sit on the phone for 60-90 minutes a few times to sort out a bunch of release and moving stuff with Halifax, Edmonton, Gagetown, and Ottawa. I only have 100 minutes and that usually works out perfectly. This time it wasn't enough and there was no recourse with Koodo for adding some minutes to my plan mid-month. The balance will be reimbursed because it's work related.

"Misc" is captured by Mint, it seems like a waste of time to double-categorize that stuff. I don't think we use YNAB in a way that makes adding misc granularity useful, but I might revisit that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

That mostly make sense - the only problem with 'misc' stuff is that clumping a lot of stuff into 'misc' is a good way to avoid actually following a budget - I know that I have a tendancy to view things outside of categories as 'DIDNT SPEND IT WOO UNDER BUDGET WOO' and that's been kinda harmful long-term - $300 here and $500 there in 'misc' a month and suddenly you've spent $5000 in a year outside of your intended budget.

The way it works in practice is like this:

Hypothetically, it's August 25th, we're out of printer ink, a lightbulb has burnt out, and we need more laundry soap.

We budget, say, $60 for all that stuff in the misc category and buy the stuff. Each month I think we usually budget about 50 and there's rollover.

Mint tracks the transactions separately as:

$45 office supplies
$5 household goods
$10 laundry

This way I can tell that I spent $115 this year on office supplies and $40 on laundry, which is useful. YNAB made sure that we had the money, which is also useful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Okay that seems reasonable - I don't use YNAB for actual budget tracking. For personal stuff I use Mint and fairly fine-grained categories, and for the corporation I spend a large amount of time hating my life and wishing for death (Quickbooks).

I've made sure that in mint everything has a specific category, since I'm certifiably crazy and have a tendancy to spend money if it's there, regardless of budget - which was being aided by loose categorization making my spending seem 'on track' when it really was a thousand bucks in the wrong direction due to little things here and there that didn't end up in specific categories.

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Especially after reading this YNAB Blog post by Jesse hisself.

I mean, we have a ridiculous number of accounts. Mint is tracking 22. YNAB has 9 on-budget and 2 off-budget.

So yeah, I may spend some time soon fixing up the number of categories. The next couple of months should have the number of accounts improved. Hopefully to:

Chequing
Savings
Credit Card 1 (everything, reward card)
Credit Card 2 (groceries, better grocery rewards)

And I'm not sure if I should bother tracking my questrade accounts on YNAB or not. I mean, soon those alone will be:

His TFSA
Her TFSA
His LIRA
His RRSP
Her RRSP

Possible RESP?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think I like the sounds of that. As it is now, I have the 1000 that I put into my RRSP as a transfer and a budget line, and the QT account is on-budget but the amount is not updated.

It's a bit of a mess and treating it as a straight budget line and output in the register will really simplify that stuff.

Edit: Also, what do you use a TFSA for? I've never understood its purpose. Like, I understand what it is, but why isn't clear to me. It seems wrong to use it for something like a vacation because space in your TFSA can be used up. Does your TFSA room come back after you spend from it?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 29, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Does your TFSA room come back after you spend from it?

Question answered:

Yahoo Finance posted:

Now, here's where things get tricky. You can also put back as much as you've withdrawn (contributions and interest). What you need to avoid is recontributing that money in the same calendar year. Doing so could put you over your contribution limit, making you subject to an overcontribution penalty of 1 percent per month on the amount you've over-contributed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Fart posted:

If I'm reading it right, about 2500 went to this, on top of pulling out inheritance and buffer?

I believe that's how it worked out, yes.

Old Fart posted:

Notice how there are a lot of overages? If you're frequently over budget, then maybe your budget is inaccurate? Adjust your budget to meet reality. That way you don't get it in your head that you have so much extra, and then have to scramble at the end of the month while feeling bad about failing goals. Ideally you should be over-estimating categories so that you don't spend that money on other stuff.

I'm comfortable with the craziness because we're just dealing with the chaotic ripples of both of us getting cost moves to Alberta and my incredibly atypical posting(s) and release. This is not your typical "there is no average month" stuff. I mean, since May our incomes have been:

For each month, respectively. Most of that income is complicated reimbursements that have been very hard to plan and end up getting retroactively tracked. We planned using the base income and spending patterns, then work made everything pretty extraordinary.

Old Fart posted:

Quality of Life: allowance, restaurants, home improvement, etc. Things that make life fun on a daily basis.
Travel & Activities: camping, music, sports, small trips, big trips.
Savings & Big Items: retirement, baby savings, immigration, moving, buffer, toys, furniture. A new SSD/HDD fusion drive upgrade for my old iMac counts as "toys".

Yeah I like these distinctions. I think our problem has been that we (ordinarily) run the budget pretty tightly to debt payment and haven't accounted for room for saving for large purchases and trips. Automating that stuff and treating long-term savings like bills would be a pretty big step forward.

So, Old Fart, what would you do next month in my shoes? Forget the windfalls, debt, and the bills. You (25) and your spouse (23) make about 5800/month. Rent is around 800 in your area. Your insurance obligations are about 225, other bills are up for grabs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Do you not have a 'base' budget?

My life has changed a great deal over the past 12 months.

I've lived in three different provinces, four if you count the 8 weeks (cumulative) or so that I've spent living in Nova Scotia.
My marital status changed.
My address changed almost seven times with rent ranging from 165/month to 825/month.
My commute has changed seven times as well, from a 35km drive/bike ride each way, to a 6km walk/bike ride, to no commute at all now, next month will be different again but essentially free because of my bus pass.
I've had a significant career change.

There's even more that I can't think of right now. I assume it'll normalize, but right now we're just rolling with the punches and trying to minimize expenses where we can.

Our "new month" routine is basically to insert those numbers from the lines that have numbers (Rent 825, for instance) into the budgeted amount. Or divide by 2 for that pay, if it makes sense.

For the stuff with no numbers, we take the average of the past seven months. For the stuff that is absurd and unusual because of work or moves lately, we just kind of guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MickeyFinn posted:

I have a question about the bold sentence: what? I don't understand the sentence because I don't understand the alternative to spending money you have. I guess it is spending money you don't have, but how? Where does it come from? Just to make sure I understand what you are saying here, let me outline how I am planning next month. Tomorrow, my paycheck will come for the hours I worked in August. Throughout September I will spend this money on things like savings, food, rent, and so on. Is that the one month buffer? I didn't even realize there were alternatives, so I'm not sure why this is called a buffer rather than 'spending money that you have'? So I don't think I understand what you mean by buffer here.

What you're describing is "living paycheck to paycheck".

The buffer objective of living off of last month's income is basically:

Say you earn 3000/month. You're ignorant to the virtues of frugality so you spend all of it every month.

To establish a one month buffer, you could cut your expenses by 30% and instead spend 2000 and save 1000. In three months, you would have a fund with 3000 in it, which was your old spending amount. On the third month, you could take that fund, empty it and count it as income, and then save all of your current month's income for the next month.

So: January, earn 3k, save 1k, spend 2k
February, earn 3k, save 1k, spend 2k
March, earn 3k, save 1k, spend 2k
April, "cash in" buffer, earn 3k, save 3k, spend 3k from buffer (if you're so inclined)
May, "cash in" buffer, earn 3k, save 3k, spend 3k from buffer

And onward.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Just gonna repost these for this page for reference.

SiGmA_X posted:

Tuyop, I'd still do an average of most of your budget categories. Except for fixed changed poo poo like insurance, rent, maybe utilities, etc. Or perhaps average since you guys got the most recent place this summer, so <2mo ATM?

That's what we do with the numbers next to the categories are related to. I cleaned it up a little and double-checked:

[image removed for SECRETS]

So yeah, most of my line-items come from an average or known, fixed amount. The problematic ones are consumable, like car maintenance (I use a conservative per-kilometer average running cost for my maintenance line), sports, clothes, groceries, and the household goods and misc goods.

The "goods" lines are really the only ones that suffer from having inconsistencies in your lifestyle, and only then if you let them. We could be much more disciplined with those.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 30, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish we had a bigger dresser.

Or fewer clothes. Hm.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren:August Update:siren:

Student loan is gone! And so are most of the savings.

Here's what we made vs spent. The balance is $14. Pretty much even this month because of the wedding or something. This just shows that we spent savings to the tune of like 2500 bucks.

And here's where that all went. "Uncategorized" is all wedding vendor cash transactions. I have them tracked in YNAB so. :effort:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
And... double-post.

How do you guys feel about, rather than a Macbook Air, I pick up a used ipod touch (4th or 5th gen)?

I really just want something to beep when calendar appointments are due, take quick notes on Evernote, and something that I can quickly check class internet stuff on. Wifi is everywhere in the university, so an ipod touch should work with all of these things.

Looks like 5th gens are going for like 250 on eBay, and 4th are around 150 in my area and on eBay.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Eris posted:

I'm not saying the ipod touch wouldn't work - maybe it would for you? But ... Do you not see the giant pendulum swing here?

Well, sure. I still don't have a laptop and the MBA would be ideal, but a good PDA is really what I need so far. I'm taking 15 courses this year and I think only one or two of them have any sort of essay requirement. It's kind of a huge change for me coming from my first degree where I was writing 70 pages a week.

My phone would be great, but the calendar doesn't sync and the note-taking is pretty worthless. I'll try IFTTT (with evernote and google calendar) as a stopgap for now, I guess.

For reference, I have this phone:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 6, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Eris posted:

I just mean the phone to set reminders or to beep, not to do any sort of note taking.

I mean, even if you got an MBA, how would you solve the beeping/calendar sync problem?

I fear you are going to spend $250 on a PDA, then inevitably ... somewhere between $300 and $1000 on a laptop. Why not just ... skip to the laptop?

Ultimately it would be great to have a smartphone and a laptop, but I want to go a year without a smartphone just because, and we haven't figured out when to buy a laptop yet. This is just an easy, $150 solution (I don't think I need the latest ipod touch for what I want) that could be resold for >$100 when I don't need it anymore.

It'll probably also be the only non-book thing I need to carry around this fall, since I don't have the kind of writing workload that means I need to be writing poo poo constantly like I did before. It'll be pretty easy to get to a computer lab or home to get more serious work done.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Me in Reverse posted:

'I want to go a year without a smartphone just because'

But you want to buy an iPod Touch. And a Macbook Air.

So should I go buy a smartphone with the accompanying ~$65/month bill to avoid martyring myself somehow?

I'm just trying stuff out, it seems like I won't really need a laptop this semester. I'm trying to figure out the effort versus expense of staying organized using the silly student union agenda versus a modern mobile device thing. This is the first time I haven't had a smartphone since 2005, so I don't really have the... analog skills (?) and I'm not convinced that they're worth learning.

Also, it turns out we haven't really needed a microwave. I miss having a slowcooker much more at this point (it's in storage). We still use the chef's knife several times a day, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The not having a smartphone thing is not just because, I just said that because the reasons are a little off topic. Basically, I'm trying to go without because I was a bit compulsive about the whole thing and it was really expensive anyway. I'm not entirely convinced that we've saved money due to the lack of information about cheaper alternatives, public transit, getting lost and poo poo, but the whole other side of being disconnected or whatever has been valuable.

HooKars posted:

Buy a notebook with an attached datebook/agenda and write in it and check it. It'll cost like $5 and be better for note taking.

Yeah, see, I find that I'm terrible at this and I have literally seven courses this semester, eight next semester. Stuff is already falling through the cracks of my terrible paper-based organizational workflow. If it keeps me from messing up a date or location or even just reduces the amount of stress related to organizing this poo poo, then I think the $150 is worth it.

I take my class notes, which are like poo poo that the professor adds to their presentations verbally, on a steno pad. I prefer this to a laptop because I feel more engaged. Some things are way better to have available for search though, and this week I've just been adding them manually to Evernote when I review and check for homework. I don't plan to be thumbing an ipod touch furiously all day trying to keep up with lectures or anything. I just want to enter poo poo into my calendar and then get it out of my head, knowing that I'll be reminded in a couple of ways whenever something important is about to happen.

In the long term, or if I find that an ipod touch is no good for what I want to use it for, well, I know exactly how much they're worth used (exactly what I paid)!

As for spending more and getting a Nexus 4 and some lovely netbook, I think that would be a great alternative if I needed a ~computer~ and a cell phone, but I already have those things and I'm considering supplementing with something that costs less.

And I can't have my crockpot yet! I have to move to a new apartment to have my stuff shipped from storage in Halifax. I have until July 2015 to do this but obviously I'd like it to happen soon.

As for the chef's knife. We have two actually (the excess!), a $6 refurbished 10" Lamson Sharp knife (looks like a professional version of their $150 knife, I got it for my birthday), and a smaller 7" Henckels Santoku knife that was like on sale for $45. It's only got one dude, so I think it's their lowest grade.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

I'm confused, doesn't the Canadian Army keep paying for your moves? Why do you have to wait until 2015 to get your stuff out of storage?

They paid for toeshoes' move. They said they'll pay for mine but there is a ton of confusion about the whole process of it.

Basically:

My stuff (2215 pounds of furniture and poo poo) is still in storage in Halifax.
They will hold it, at crown expense, in storage until July 2015.
They will move it to a new place, anywhere in Canada. This includes unpacking.
It won't fit in this apartment because we already have some stuff, and we want to move anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

I'm gonna say something kinda anti-BFC here but you should just buy another crockpot for the time being. They're like $30-$40, and you'll save a ton of money by cooking amazing meals that can last for days.

Unless you'll be moving in like a month or two. If you don't plan on moving for like 3 months or more, I'd argue it makes sense to buy another. Plus, then you have a backup if you break the ceramic part of it while cleaning it like I did. :smith:

We may just buy another one used and then kijiji it. Posts like this come up all the time: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-indoor-kitchen-dining-wares-all-kinds-of-kitchen-appliances-W0QQAdIdZ519912089

Actually, I think I'll buy the $5 roaster from that guy because that's one thing we're totally missing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Edit: And yes, a roasting pan. Is there another thing for roasting large cuts of meat and birds that plugs in?

Never you mind posted:

I used to own a iPod Touch and a flip phone. The iPod Touch was great for music, fussy for emails or any kind of writing longer than a sentence or two, and fine for web browsing on the go - but of course you have to have wifi access. With a smartphone (an iPhone 4S), I found I no longer had a use for the iPod since it duplicated and improved on everything the iPod did. I'm not sure why you would get one as a stopgap since it sounds like other products would fit your needs better.

I basically want what you had. Are you saying I should just go buy an iphone?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flynt posted:

This is what I was thinking of.

Well that's just loving awesome.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Also, didn't you *have* an iPhone you sold to save $10 a month or something?

We both had iPhones. We sold them for a $500 profit or something and saved $65/month.

And we just went over our savings goals and stuff and basically concluded that we have no space for such things until the car is paid off. So it looks like the whole ipod touch and crockpot discussion is moot at this point. :eng99:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 7, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zteuer posted:

Congrats on getting rid of the student loans! I'm also amazed at how well you take a lot of the feedback you get in the thread, and even change your decisions based upon it. It seems like going back and forth with the thread is one of the things keeping you in check. You need to develop your own inner thread to move on with your life!

Do you have an estimate on how much you are upside down on the car?

8000-10000.

And thanks, the thread really does help. There should be like, a support group thread where people with weird tendencies can go to tell each other their schemes and be told that they're being ridiculous.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Fart posted:

Regarding courseload: what's the recommendation by your major? Seven classes seems like a lot. I fear this is another example of Tuyop Extremism.

The max is 5 and you need to request permission to take more than 6.

I spoke to my adviser about this and pointed out that, in the fourth year of my BA, I took 8 courses the first semester, 9 the second, wrote a thesis, worked three jobs and had a 3.87 GPA. Edit: And I had at least 7 courses every year after first. He took a look at my transcripts again and I got my approval from the Dean a little while later.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 7, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

haplesscardsharp posted:

Edit 2: I'm really not saying this to make you feel bad. I'm saying this so you think more about what went wrong, and think about how you can try to avoid debt in the future. It' hard to do, but it's worth it.

My method of avoiding debt in the future will pretty much be: Don't pay for several international vacations per year using only credit cards.

Giant Goats posted:

On top of that was the much-needed time to get experience in the field through volunteer activities and professional development events.

An Education degree isn't just about passing the courses and getting the certification, but about developing long-term pedagogical viewpoints and frameworks that will shape the rest of one's career. If anything, I wish that I'd opted for the four courses + summer session in order to have more time to focus.

Oh I'd love to fart around with four courses per semester and take time to really develop and network for the next 3-4 years (my degree needs 31 3-credit classes), but my funding is only until August 2015.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

My big worry here is that you have a history of heaping huge burdens on yourself all at once, which then comes back to bite you a few short months down the line. I see the same pattern starting again here, and it's a habit you really need to break.

Hey, as long as it has nothing to do with ambulating, this has brought me nothing but success! and years of stress and sleeplessness

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 8, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, the critical factor behind my decision to take all these classes was funding. If I didn't show how I could finish in two years, I'd get no funding. Now I have funding AND a much lighter workload than my first degree, at least until my practicum, so life should be nothing but scholarly and matrimonial bliss.

In the past few posts, I'm just pointing out that I think I'll be okay.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yeah, this is pretty much the way it has to be.

SiGmA_X posted:

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole ton about masters programs let alone masters of education, or masters of education in Canada.

I'm taking a Bachelor's of Education, actually. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Besides, if tuyop needs someone to yell at him for being lazy and not doing his classwork to some random stranger's satisfaction, we're always here.

Ugh goons [tell] me how much of a failure I'll be if I don't read this one-page handout about the importance of warmups for my track and field class.

Man, I should have just done what the insurance lady said and used this time and money to travel the world for two years. THAT would be worthy of BFC.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Frankly, even IF it drives him to buying a naked basil webcam robe ipad phone air bike car, it's probably cheaper than paying for his own schooling by doing it slower.

Oh man, you're right! I should buy a new TV with all this money I'm saving.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

tuyop, please post your Sims families' budget.

My guy basically lives on a diet of the finest Organic Goopy Carbonera while supplementing his income as an adventurer/gold digger with gardening and eating contests.

I'm pretty sure this is like video game Jesus telling me that I'm making a terrible mistake with this whole "career" thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Today was a stupid clusterfuck of getting lost and missing buses and class locations and readings because of my lack of electronics. There's a 4th gen ipod touch for sale down the road on kijiji for $70. I'm buying it. Come at me, goons.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

RheaConfused posted:

If you have to have wifi to use it, how will it help you when you're out navigating on the street?

I will download the full transit schedule and map onto goodreader and reference it if I need it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does it really matter? This thing cost like four moleskine notebooks.

You guys are obviously just awesome because you can organize things using only analog poo poo. I'm not good at that and trying to get there is causing me much more stress than $70 is worth.

If anyone actually cares: The real problem is just distance and time. I have class from 9:30 to 5 with only ten minute breaks in between, crisscrossing campus with about half a mile between each of them. Today I got three emails, two for location changes to classes that were taking place in the next two hours, one for a reading change that I could have followed if I'd had some sort of device. For the location change emails I just got a text from IFTTT saying I had some kind of urgent email from my professors. The only way to check is to walk out of the way, during a ten minute break, to find a computer lab to check. Now I can just check my ipod during class and use the UofA app to find the new room. A laptop wouldn't really help and would just be more poo poo to carry, the ipod is basically perfect.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I am OK posted:

Haha, pathetic. How did people survive without computers?!?!

I assume that they weren't all expected to have computers in their pockets before there were computers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

We don't. Unlimited anything is basically unheard of in Canada, even for land based Internet. A smartphone plan starts at around $50 a month or so.

Distributel is unlimited internet in Edmonton if you're interested, in my case I think it's 15mbps.

WIND has $30 smartphone plans with unlimited data, as long as you're in their area. And they only have android phones. I think mobilicity and those types are similar.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
There are only a few ways that you can fit 31 courses into four-five semesters, especially when two of those semesters are consumed solely by five-course practicums. I did all sorts of scouting out my classes and poo poo, it's just a lot of walking no matter what you do.

WampaLord posted:

Tuyop, you are/were the Canadian equivalent of a drill sergeant, right? I find it kind of hilarious that you have the exact same first day experience as a 18 year old kid on his first day at college.

Haha, no. But the image is pretty funny.

And it's not the first day, I had classes last week as well.

Anyway, the car loan will be paid off soon and then we'll probably revisit the whole smartphone + data plan business.

Old Fart posted:

I also agree that this entire thing was avoidable, just like almost every other "universe is out to get me" story in here.

I never said that the ipod touch was the only way to go. I could continue on with IFTTT and computer labs paper things, I just don't want to deal with any of that when the cost of not dealing with it is $70. This is nothing but me being entitled and spoiled, but the object of my entitlement is only .4% of my debt, so I don't think we should really sweat it that much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bam thwok posted:

Are you able to take summer classes?

I'm kind of gambling on being able to. If the six or so courses that I need aren't available during the two summers (I guess it's 4-6 semesters), then I have no idea what will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Fart posted:

So what happened in those classes that were moved? Were there signs taped to the doors? Was anybody else also late, or missed the class entirely? Is the move permanent? And what's with this reading assignment that was changed last minute? Fill in some gaps here, please.

No sign for either, just an email. In one, which is a class of like 25, people trickled in for like half the class, it was also the first class of the day so that may have something to do with it. It really sucked because there was a guest speaker. For the other one the room was changed a couple of hours before, but no building was given so I had to check the three buildings that the course is supposed to take place in depending on labs and stuff, all three have the same room designations (E-###). I seemed to be the only one late for that one, so who knows, maybe I'm just a retard.

As for the reading assignment, that was like, "yeah I sent out the reading for discussion this morning on eclass, did anyone get it?" And the sea of front-lit faces from laptop and tablet screens nods. Then we did groupwork on that. Which was retarded because everyone was just on their laptops.

Old Fart posted:

Also curious, why does funding run out in two years? I power-read through the entire thread, so some things blur together. I thought at one point you had full funding? Is this related to that time you up and quit the military? If you hadn't done that, would you have gotten a full ride?

No judging. I've quit jobs on a whim, too. I've made plenty of impulse decisions that have created temporary shitstorms, or that have affected my entire life. I also move without thinking and break a lot of stuff. That's why I relate to you so much. :)

That's my vocational rehab program. It's 24 months of reeducation with a ceiling of 25k. There's also an income top-up that's like $200/month less than my salary was.

I didn't quit the army, they wouldn't let me. My request to release was denied. Instead, I waited for 15 months and got released medically.

• Locked thread