Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

I caused the debt by going on many, many vacations. Last year alone I took fourteen vacations. Each cost well over 1000 dollars. I also bought some stuff I didn't need and lived outside of my means. For 9 months my means were -$400 a month because of a clerical error and I didn't budget correctly for the backpay and income that followed.

When you took that vacation to Spain, you should have charged the tranny to gently caress him in the rear end. :gay: Hope this helps!

Also looooooooooooooooooooool at you financing your laptop from 2007.

Tuyop: never change.

edit:

tuyop posted:

I'm a Canadian 23 year old male in a soon-to-be common law relationship (with a currently unemployed carpenter/waitress who has enough savings to look for work here for about two months).
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
But are marshmallows paleo? :ohdear:

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

Tuyop posted:

I have a 430 dollar speeding ticket that I have to start making payments on in September. I want to challenge it, but it's in another province and I simply can't make it to the court dates. I'm going to have to take 20 a month out of one of my spending weeks, groceries on course, or something. This may also increase my insurance next year.

CRIMEZZZ

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

nucleicmaxid posted:

Uh, bro, she's going to be making carpenter money. carpenter money.

If she actually lands that job, it'll probably be the first wood she's worked since she started seeing Tuyop. Oh hey :gay:

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

A student posted:

Tuyop, can you or she look into any additional streams of revenue? Selling things on Etsy, pizza delivery driver, etc?

:frogout:

He can't get a job because he used to guard a switch and then he left to go eat pasta with sugar and a dude touched the switch and he got fired.

edit:
:lol: you are at a point where Berkut is offering you valid advice on improving your life.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Old Man Fancington fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 28, 2011

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Also, what the gently caress guys?

I'll always find you.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

Cuddlebottom posted:

However, your car is a sticking point because it's such an insane expense for your income. 12% of your paycheck goes towards the car payment. Your car payment is more than than your rent. Including insurance and gas, a quarter of what you earn is spent on that car. Not only is it an enormous money sink, but it has negative value.

Tuyop you literally made the classic new to the military car purchase trap. Please never offer your financial 'wisdom' to your junior enlisted.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
LOL Tuyop you poor. Also dumb. Not knowing your extra pay didn't come until the end of your course and that putting you into overdraft is entirely on you. Get your poo poo together - having absurd financial difficulties sets a terrible example for your troops.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

KarmaCandy posted:

But yes, it's true. There are people around your age who are fiscally responsible and have money to play with for fun in the market. That person is not you.

You are the person who spent all your money on several leisurely vacations to other nations instead of saving at least a fraction of it to invest and take advantage of compound interest at a young age.

edit: perhaps if you focused on passing your officer's course, your country would -pay- you to see other parts of the world.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Today a friend of mine with the same job and income as me was saying that he has 12k in debt and wasn't going to have it paid off for five more years. He also just bought a 600 dollar watch. Priorities I guess?

Brand new guys in the military aren't exactly known for financial prowess, Tuyop. I wouldn't use your buddies as any sort of metric.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

I figure it's worth the 5 bucks a month that I'll be making in interest.

Tuyop, now this is the kind of attention to detail and financial acumen that will get you right back to a life of luxury and dozens of international vacations each year!

bam thwok posted:

This account will earn you $3.87 this year. Enjoy.

Heh

edit: to be serious for a moment, have you actually sat down and considered that you repeatedly and consistently miss important facts or have financial troubles that catch you by surprise? Basic things like not understanding your interest rates, not knowing how and when you'll get your 'extra' pay for being in the 'field', or overdrawing your balance, while not acceptable, are forgivable if they happen... once. You seem to constantly encounter these issues. These seem to be symptomatic of a bigger problem and you need to figure this out. Even though you posted this thread, you're still constantly making mistakes, which shows you haven't learned sufficiently.

Fortunately for you, your income as a junior officer is exceptionally generous, so you haven't really been bitten in the rear end yet. It's going to happen eventually if you stay on this path, though. I'm not suggesting you lash yourself before a statue of Milton Friedman and beg for forgiveness, but you have to stop.

You've said that you want to leave the military eventually and teach. A teacher's salary won't be nearly as generous as an officer's and you are going to get your teeth kicked in and then repo'd if you try to live the same lifestyle.

Old Man Fancington fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 13, 2011

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Also general admin issues, like how I lost a hat on September 9th, reported it on Sept 10th, but still have seen no replacement hat some five weeks later. Hats are very important in the Canadian military so this is a Big Deal.

Tuyop have you checked if your hat is on your head? You've missed a lot of other important details lately so I think it's important to cover all your bases here.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

I feel much, much more boring.

I'm not sure if I wouldn't do it all again though. I could die driving to work on Monday and all that would really matter was the experiences I had when I was alive. I think I've done pretty well that way, now it's just time to pay for it.

I'm happy for you that you realized 'how interesting you were' was directly tied to 'how many international vacations / fancy tech products' you could buy. This means you can use this newly found austerity to grow as an actual person.

edit: why get a new iphone when you can stay with your carrier and get a new phone for $25 that can make calls / send texts? Iphones, aside from the higher initial cost, also have a higher recurring cost than a basic phone. You're on the bad side of 5 figures of debt and you want people to tell you its okay to get a fancy new toy. I'm telling you it isn't, and you're just addicted to a life of luxury where you confuse "need" with "want."

If the only change in your attitude is "won't stay at condo in Italy with no regard to finances," you got a long drat way to go.

Old Man Fancington fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 15, 2011

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

Breetai posted:

because... why exactly? Because the latest version of your $$$underpantsfinder$$$ app doesn't work with it?

More like $$$hatfinder$$$

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop if it makes you feel any better, I promise you this won't be the last war that the western world is involved in.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Don't knock it until you tried it, Tuyop. Disability pay covers my coffee expenses each month, which is nice. And you get it for life!

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

The tires had about 60 000km on them during the flat. There was really no tread left (they nearly failed safety, but the mechanic knows me), and my alignment is off AGAIN so the wear is completely uneven so my rears actually had canvas showing in a couple of places. I just needed them to last until October. :( But you're right. Now I don't have to save for new tires in April, I just have to pay back my efund.

You lunatic, don't drive with bald, lovely tires. You are going to loving kill someone else when you're driving in a rainstorm. You own your poor decisions in life, but don't recklessly endanger other people just because you spent your money basking on the beach in Costa Rica instead of using it smartly.

edit: I just had a great idea. You love backpacking, right? How about you start walking places until you can afford basic safety? Hoofing it everywhere will also help the problem of you having become portly.

Old Man Fancington fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 10, 2012

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop, you might have answered this somewhere in the past 33 pages, but have you considered moving back in with your parents? If I remember correctly, you said they were a middle-class couple, and if you're really living off $3/day, you probably won't be a burden.

Especially now that your car and health is hosed and you are imminently unemployed while having large outstanding debts, you should look at this again.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop, regarding your rice and beans situation, don't you have a mess hall on base? They're usually pretty drat cheap, and all you can eat.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Hey Tuyop, are you still netting $2900/month? If you can barely make ends meet now, what's your plan for once you're out, disabled, and have to work low-paying, unskilled jobs?

This is something you should legitimately think about NOW instead of later. You're getting something like 75% disability once you're out, right?

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

spog posted:

EDIT: your resume: edit the 'skills' section. You are supposed to be promoting yourself as an ex-military man-of-action, a leader of men. Your first 2 bullet points (which are all that most recruiters will bother to read) are about MS Office. You are underselling yourself badly.

The issue here is as soon as -any- recruiter asks him about his military experience, he'll have to come clean about not completing his qualifications or having any experience as a "man of action" outside of a placeholder admin billet. You're of course supposed to look your best on your CV, but if he ever went to an interview and got asked about it, he'd immediately have to come clean.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

spog posted:

Genuine question: Do you think that the average non-military recruiter is going to know anything about military qualifications - or will listing a qualification similar to 'personal equipment deployment and recalibration' (aka 'I was taught to tie my own bootlaces') still impress?

I think it will be absolutely apparent if they ask any questions on the subject. Tuyop still should definitely put down that he was an officer in the Canadian military since it showed he did something positive with the past few years. However, if they ask any questions at all about it, and they likely will since military service usually is interesting, he will have to tell them that he was unable to complete training because of medical issues and has never really lead any troops.

So his service is a positive thing, but try to an play himself up as an ex-military man of action will set himself up for failure at the first question asked.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop once you're out of the service, have you considered just leaving the country and starting over in some Latin American shithole paradise? Cost of living is very low in a lot of those places, and I know you were all about helping the impoverished 3rd worlders when you got your university degree.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop it's time you stopped being a man of leisure with all your vacations.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Yeah I was going to budget 600 including tux rental, now I don't know.

Better get your hitchhiking thumb ready, son.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

Chronojam posted:

Wait, are you being serious or mocking Tuyop here? I can't tell anymore, you seem to be implying an average person should spend "a couple hunded dollars just to eat" for a week. What, should he be eating at a steakhouse for three meals a day?

Chronojam I am a man of both over-sized and refined taste, and despite gobbling up all the grass-fed steak and raw fish I can find in this city, my food bill has yet to cross $150/week. I can only assume that Tuyop must devour a mountain of gold-encrusted rice and halibut, as is the custom of his people, if his bills are larger than mine.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

A student posted:

I still need to get a vast cummerbund for it.

Indeed you do.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop don't forget that if you go bike riding without one of those special seats it'll damage your taint over time and you will have erectile dysfunction. Better make sure to get one of those what with your marriage coming up.

PubMed source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20102446

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
There are seats that are shaped differently that supposedly take the pressure off the nerves inside your taint. The biking megathread in YLLS is probably a good place to look for more info.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Only time will tell! I'll be pretty upset if I go from eating 3 dollars a day and spending ~4.60 on gas, to eating 7.60 a day to fuel my body instead of a car.

Heaven forbid you should spend money to become healthier.

All jokes aside, I saw a very recent pic of you and you've really withered, Tuyop. I won't repost the pic out of respect for your privacy, but please consider it worth the extra few dollars per day for the added health benefits of you getting the extra exercise.

I know you can't really lift because of your injuries, but at least biking will help get your legs swole again.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop, have you considered a stationary lifestyle? When you tried to drive, you broke your car, when you tried to bike, you popped its tire, and when you tried to walk, you broke your back.

This whole "motion" thing isn't really working out for you.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop,

Old Man Fancington posted:

This whole "motion" thing isn't really working out for you.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop.

I was thinking about you today and it made me angry since I feel like you've given up on everything. You used to have ambition and interests and drive, but now you're horribly in debt, eating like a third-worlder, all your poo poo is broken, and your fiancee is out banging other dudes.

Bootstraps is generally not helpful advice, but Tuyop you really need to bootstrap yourself out of where you are. I know your back is broken but I present to you one Steve Stanko who got crippled by phlebitis, needed crutches to walk, and then went ahead and started pressing 300 lbs for reps. You used to be a health nut but you let it all go and now you are fat and weak, and you don't any excuse. I won't even touch on your insatiable hunger for vacations, since it's been covered repeatedly in this thread.

Tuyop you suck and your life sucks, and you need to stop being a profligate and a victim. No penny-pinching or hoovering of rice and beans is going to help you until you have a major attitude change in your life.

At least you won't be riddled with White Guilt anymore because third-worlders are scrappy as hell in trying to get a better life. In general, much scrappier than you.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

menieres_4_life posted:

lol crimezzz...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crimezzzpree!

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

spog posted:

It's been obvious for a while that you are suffering from depression.

Now I understand why: it's not your fault, God is genuinely pissing on you. Nothing terrible like contracting AIDS, but it's just niggle after niggle.

Yeah, Tuyop, it might sincerely be better if the doc prescribes you morphine instead of prozac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
The Tuyop JO Cam: A Film in Several Acts

• Locked thread