Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Chronojam posted:

Do you remember us questioning all of your poor decisions?

Does this guy have some kind of history in this forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

traveling midget posted:

I think they're all friends in real life (or online and are sadly close to eachother) and have WaCkY iNsIdE jOkEs like 'pasta with sugar' and 'tuyop hosed a tranny or something'.

That's... kind of sad, really.

At least when I go out with my friends most of them don't know I have a thread on these forums where I'm called worse than a child molester.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Berkut posted:

Wells Fargo has a Way2Save savings account that works on a similar principle: transferring one dollar from your checkings to savings any time you use your debit card, forcing you to reconsider each transaction. Not to mention building a small lump of money you are never 100% aware of.

I actually really like this idea. I bank with Wells Fargo and I might have to consider doing this.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, I couldn't think of a nice way to put it, but holy poo poo this.

I think 14 vacations is more than I have taken cumulatively for the past 5 years combined.

I am positive that 14 vacations is more than I have taken in 14 years. I usually reserve my vacation days for when I need time off for something rather than we're going somewhere. I tend to take a 'vacation' every other year.

And look where that got me! :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Yo Berkut, just an FYI. I'm ignoring you now because I can't stand the fact that someone with absolutely no life experience is giving me advice, not just about finances, but about my responsibilities to my country when you didn't even have the spine to get fit and try out yourself. gently caress you.

Sorry for the derail, I just hate that guy.

You know, for somebody that doesn't really have any long-term life ambitions, you sure do sit on a high horse. Just sayin'.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Orgasmo posted:

Link didn't work for me.

"Uh oh!

Sorry, the page you were looking for was not found."

And it shows a three-armed sweater! I like it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Edit: and we've been over the DIY maintenance thing. And the part has to be cemented and all sorts of fancy painting and stuff that I really couldnt do myself. Also, no tools whatsoever outside of storage that I can't get to. Another elective payment is coming up too. I lost a car key somehow so that has to be replaced at some point. The Mazda key fob is ridiculously expensive apparently. I'll probably do that after course.

Are you sure it has to be cemented? Take a picture and post it in the AI "stupid questions" thread. You will need to get it properly painted at a body shop but those usually don't require anything but a bunch of clips and screws to put in, unless I'm imagining the part wrong or Mazdas are put together weird or something.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Let's see... this is the top seller in the world for photography. 7142 sales.

OMG Bokehs :swoon:

Genius... :barf:

Here is the second best seller. 5594 sales.

Must you have this on your wall? 25 bux.

So yeah, I think I can do this. I have the talent software.

More incredible photography if you care to look: http://www.craftcount.com/category.php?cat=3&subcat=29

The real money is in pins anyway. http://www.etsy.com/shop/beanforest 41086 sales at 1.30 each after posting costs...

I will agree with you that those are pretty terrible pictures. Maybe I just don't have an aesthetic sense but I couldn't imagine hanging those in my living quarters let alone spending money for them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wolfy posted:

But you see the lights, they're shaped like hearts.

HOLY loving poo poo *purchases ten*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man I go three months between haircuts. And my hair grows like a goddamn weed.

edit: and I shave once a month if even.

(Granted I'm not in the military so I don't have to abide by their draconian laws)

vv you can be pretty. I'll be manly. :colbert:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 18, 2011

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
man, I'm debt free you guys! drat!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Are you debt free using standard math or tuyop math?

tuyop math. He's prettier than me so I trust his math (and it gets me out of debt quicker)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't call getting engaged or getting married an emergency. I mean hopefully you know in advance when those are coming so you can plan accordingly.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think the best part is that he worries so much about what he eats and his workout regimen, and then he smokes half a pack a day.

It's like the lady at the supermarket that buys a poo poo-ton of candy bars and then diet soda.

(Also, I should add that caffeine dependance isn't much fun either, and I've been fighting it for awhile, but it's at least not lung cancer. And I get free coffee at work.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just bought a five pack of boxers for $13. Undies for the proleteriat!

It's the first underwear I've bought in five years. I wait until it literally falls of of me. (Also, I usually get some as a gift).

I can't even imagine what kind of jewel-encrusted rare Chinese silk undergarmets cost $100. And I can't wait for you to tell us how much socks cost.

Then again, I'm not sexy. :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just because they don't stink and are still comfortable doesn't mean it isn't gross as all hell. Feet sweat. Where do you think that sweat goes, sweat heaven?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

buy a 6000 dollar 2004 or something and take a little bit more risk for repairs. But I didn't do that. My girlfriend should though.

Man guys seven years is old for a car! That's, like, a classic! It might not even have an mp3 player!

:rolleyes:

Also, I deserve nice things. My girlfriend doesn't.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Badger Pudding posted:

Tuyop owned two 1992 Mazda 323's when he was younger (2006), and is trying to make sure his girlfriend doesn't gently caress up the same way he did.

Owning clunkers isn't a punishment. It's a necessity sometimes. You haven't somehow 'earned' a nicer car because you 'did your time' in pieces of poo poo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Doubtful. Suspension issues usually arise from regular wear and tear unless there is obvious damage. How many miles are on the car?

I went through a set of rear tires in 10k miles. Then I saw one of my trailing arm bushings was torn, so my tires were wriggling like an eraser while I drove. $80 each for replacement high performance all seasons and $20 each for bushings and I was good to go. Bushings were a breeze once I borrowed an air chisel.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yeesh. I have some decent Kumhos that were like $60/tire plus installation. Used to have some Bridgestone Potenzas that were $80/tire but once they were worn I went with a more thrifty option.

The Kumhos aren't as good but they're hardly crap.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Weatherman posted:

Business, Finance and Careers: Sooner or later every thread turns into carchat

Sorry :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo this got epic.

Poor Tuyop. I keep the internet at arms-length most of the time, but it's all up in his biz-natch now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
BFC= Butt Feces Care

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ToeShoes posted:

I'll work anywhere.

Hey Tuyop, you know about this?

(I kid, I kid)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Does I matter why she quit early?

Well, in a thread regarding finances, usually making more money is preferable over not making more money.

[img-the more you know]

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

archangelwar posted:

Stop buying wet wipes and use the three sea shells.

I love you for this.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
On the plus side, did you say this gets you out of infantry? That's a plus, right?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Shooting Blanks posted:

If he's out of infantry, it also presumably means it's going to screw with his income - so not necessarily.

I know I don't speak for everybody but I'd rather be poor than full of bullet holes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure three of my four wheels are bent. It's something I learned to live with long ago.

Did you look to see if you could pick up a single used wheel anywhere? Craigslist is full of them usually. I passed on a full set of OEM wheels for my car for free because I have nowhere to store them and I didn't need them that bad (and of course someone got to them first anyway)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

I remember buying some used steels (I've got my winters on so it's just a cheap black steel wheel) like six years ago for 35 each. This one was 60. The junk yard is about 15 in gas to get there and back, I didn't think it was worth it.

Ah, I missed the price of just the wheel. That isn't a bad price at all.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Your front brakes do most of the braking anyway. It's very likely that the fronts are all that need to be replaced.

Feel free to ask in AI for help. Personally I love doing brakes. I find them fun. Except on my friend's Subaru, where the previous brake-doer had crossthreaded the caliper carrier bracket to the knuckle. We worked for hours to break that loose, and it's a sickening feeling to break it loose only for it to remain difficult to remove. But still, put it all back together with the old parts and drove it to a shop and they installed the parts and charged labor only. Still saved on parts.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

I guess there's no easy way to put this. Toeshoes (the girlfriend) is pregnant! :D

I've wanted to have a kid for a long time now, so obviously we're keeping it. I guess this is a financial catastrophe, but it's like everyone always says, if you didn't have kids until you were ready for it, nobody would have kids.

Cornholio managed to have another baby and claw himself out of debt, and my parents had two while they were literally bankrupt and now live pretty well, so I know it can be done. (One of) the worst parts is that we're going to have to find another place to live. The Fight Club house is no place for an infant. I haven't told work yet, but there's a whole slew of benefits that I may or may not qualify for that I'm really going to need; least of which being paternity leave.

Anyway, I'm really happy about this but bring on the apocalyptic predictions!

Congratulations!

*checks date*

*groan*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

quaint bucket posted:

Where's yours, you scallywag.

I'm not a fan of payment plans with furnitures. Are there any other catches other than coming straight out of your paycheck automatically?

$30 for a mattress, how are you not dead yet?

Since I don't have a thread, it's harder. I tried, and failed to get anybody. :effort:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FrozenVent posted:

Before anyone tears into tuyop for buying an extra set of wheels, you can't use alloy wheels in the winter.

The size of those wheels would have definitely been on the invoice however.

The hell you can't! I've been doing it for over a decade.

Also, I need to read this thread. Judging by the latest replies it's going to be worth it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

It's not as "good" as you might hope, BFC is just really longing for the next you or zaurg or murderknobs to jump all over. Tuyop isn't doing that bad despite his horrible financial luck (especially with vehicles).

I dunno, I just finished skimming from April to now and it was pretty amusing. I especially liked the basilchat and that he wanted to build his own house.

I've known people like Tuyop. They'll have a huge grand idea and it'll be the best idea ever and will be completely, utterly ridiculous, and they get all hurt when you tell them so, and don't do it and are crushed. I won't get into the friend that wanted my help in starting a zeppelin freight company.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

We net 5928 together with some small variations. So you can imagine, I guess.

That's the car pie chart.

Edit: keep in mind that that's averaged over 28 months

I thought this was neat and did it to each of my cars, though only applied over the past six months (one because I'm lazy and that's a lot of data to sort through, and two because our car situation changed dramatically over the past six months).

1. Our Volvo. This is our spare car and gets driven rarely. If we were to stop driving it, the mileage and gas would be amortized into my car. So it costs us about $50/month. I just did some repairs yesterday that cost $8 total, so it should continue to be cheap as hell to own.

2. Our new Ford Fiesta. Being a brand-new car with full coverage, it has high insurance and payments (it's a short-term lease, hence the high payments). While I'd like to think my car could make a thousand-mile journey and need nothing, I know the reality is that it has 160,000 miles and that probably wouldn't be the case. I know the Volvo couldn't make such a journey. So this is our reliable car with a full warranty. I gets nearly 40mpg too, and so far has been great.

3. And lastly, my BMW. This is my daily driver, though I must not be driving as much as I used to. The Volvo is siphoning some mileage off of it though, so that's probably why. Insurance is high (something I disagree with, since my E36 was much cheaper to maintain and this car isn't worth that much, especially since I paid six grand for it, but they must see the V8 and slap a premium on it. Whatever, it's worth it.) but so far repairs have been pretty reasonable. Mostly just fixing stuff that was wrong when I bought the car. I'm sure the repairs will increase over time, but it really needs nothing at the moment and is also known as one of the most reliable luxury cars ever built, so who knows.

So that's the cost of ownership for my three cars over the past six months. They're very, very different profiles, but I think having that third car gives me a lot more options should problems arise - I could sell it for some cash, or sell my car for some cash, or just stop driving one if it breaks and is going to be expensive until I save up the money (not likely since I'm pretty well prepared for such a thing).

I'd never really compared them against each other before. It's kind of cool to do.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

I'd kill for any of those cost profiles, or even the insurance on any of them. :(

I'm just really excited to try going car free. It would make such a huge difference in our finances.

Yeah, our three cars cost us less than your one car per month (and two of ours have full coverage!). Though if you can successfully go car free, many many kudos are in order. That'd be pretty awesome finances-wise.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Cornholio is now leasing a new car on a short term? Apparently the fiscal responsibility didn't last long...

Sometimes, a lease makes sense based on what somebody's specific wants and needs are. I did a lot of research and calculating before I made my decision. If you want to complain and tell me how stupid I am, take it here.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

It's odd that you didn't mention you leasing it in the posts - you only mention your brother doing it. Time to open up the ole' biz fin thread again cornholio it sounds like you're back in debt.

You're getting me confused with somebody else, I think. Neither of my brothers has ever leased a car. Actually, neither has even technically bought one... My dad bought them each their cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rudager posted:

The first rule of automobiles is that any vehicle, whether it's a car, truck or bike, is only ever as good as it's maintenance.

And people called me nuts :v:

• Locked thread