Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Wow, this tuyop character sounds pretty interesting. Can someone fill me in with the juicy details? Huh? he’s going to reading this? Ok, never mind… :psyduck:

send me a PM

Tuyop, I’m a loan officer and one thing I tend to be reasonably good at is to look at numbers and patterns, and use that to paint a picture. I do this with our members when they apply for a loan, and it leads me to better decisions than if I look only at numbers. Of course if I draw the wrong conclusion, let me know.

The first thing I observe is that you are very impulsive with your spending habits. You have trouble separating needs from wants. I agree with whoever mentioned the Costco membership. I don’t care about the membership fee, I have a Costco membership, I love going there. But my boyfriend calls it the $100 dollar store because he never spends less than $100 when he’s there. It’s great to stock up on toilet paper, it’s dangerous if you are impulsive. Second, when you buy something, you don’t ask can I afford it? Instead you tend to ask can I afford the payment? These are not the same thing. Third, you have a distorted view of credit. You view having good credit as useful because that allows you to finance more stuff with more favorable terms. Put it another way, good credit allows you to buy more rope to hang yourself.

Before you do anything else, I would take out your photo album and enjoy the warm memories of your experiences. You will not be going on vacation for a long time. Maybe frame some of your favorites and that will tide you through the cold dark days of winter.

Next, sell the car. Borrow the difference if you have to. I really don’t care that it is 1.9% and a loan will be 12%. The 1.9% was the bait that caught you in this trap where your only asset is a rapidly depreciating chunk of metal that you drive on salty roads 6 months of the year. You never could afford this car; the 1.9% tricked you into thinking you could. 23 year olds with no money don’t deserve to drive their dream cars. I would rather you drive a paid for beater and owe $6000 instead of owing $25,000. Your insurance will go down too.

Then you need to establish an emergency fund. Its funny, when you look at the numbers in your bank account, or even more so, pull money out of your wallet, it feels different than when you pull out a credit card and it just gets added to your next statement.

Finally, will have to aggressively pay back the debt starting with the Dell. It’s insane that you still owe money on a 4 year old laptop. You are proof that Dell makes more money financing computers than selling computers. Don’t wait until you get a raise. You will never out earn your impulses.

Parting thought. Its cool that you are thinking about your budget through October. And if you have a big thing coming up in a future month, its cool to plan for it and save for it. But when you budget, you need to think about the month at hand, not the generic month from heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Its not like you shouldn’t plan your budget long range, but at some point you are just extrapolating. As each month approaches, see how you did on the previous month and make adjustments to the one coming up to make sure it conforms to reality.

I’m going to mostly side with you on the food issue. Before I do, “beans and rice” is as much of an expression and philosophy as a recommendation that one eat only rice and beans every meal. That said, beans are a super food, very high in protein, and rice, especially brown rice complements them nutritionally and taste wise. Both are amazingly cheap and can be prepared in so many ways. There is a reason why beans and rice are foundation of many cultures around the world.

Many of your expenses are out of control, your food expenses are not one of them. Food is one thing you always get what you pay for. You don’t have to overpay, and you will save tons of money by sacrificing convenience, (i.e. you have to cook) but I will never sacrifice nutrition. There are things I will always pay extra for. One of those is eggs. I’m not loaded, but I buy my eggs at the fancy natural store where everything is locally grown. They cost between $3.50 and $4.00 a dozen. Go to google, search the term “forced molting” and then go to images, and you might decide that it’s worth spending an extra $0.30 per egg too.

Some ideas to save money. Since you do go to Costco, get those big bags of frozen vegetables. You can get about 6 pounds for $5.00. I put them in the microwave for about 3 minutes, add cheese to the top, and zap for another 20 seconds. Surprisingly good, fast, cheap. Frozen is often more nutritious than fresh if fresh means it was grown on a different continent and harvested 2 weeks ago. Sardines and canned salmon are reasonably cheap and amazing sources of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Speaking of eggs, you can mix cottage cheese in with scrambled eggs, and you can’t even taste it. They just become higher in protein. You can’t beat oatmeal for a stick to your ribs breakfast. Add a scoop of protein powder if you want. There is a GWS thread about it,

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309340

tuyop posted:

The money simply does not exist in the world for me to sell that car. I would have to save for 12 months making minimum payments in order to break even on the loan so that I could sell it….

…with a huge chunk over the fall, when I get a promotion (this is not a "hope", this is just something that happens in the military) and stick to the budget I'll be even more solvent.

How much money are we talking about? If you sold a few things, saved between now and then, would you have enough to sell the car?

So your friends are broke too? The point this isn’t to suffer for the sake of suffering. You don’t do it because it’s easy. You do it so at some future point you can do fun things without losing sleep over it when the bill comes.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 28, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Including the cost for a 500 dollar piece of poo poo if I can find one? 7300 dollars.

If I somehow survive with a bike or something in freezing, butt-gently caress New Brunswick 24 kilometers away from work while having to carry nearly 100 pounds of stuff quite often? 6600 dollars.

Edit: Actually I'd like to try going without a car for awhile just to see if I could. Might just take a bit more planning.

If I sold the camera and TV and desktop, I would be 4800 dollars short. So I could save that in 9 months instead of 12. This is what I mean, it just doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

I don’t follow your math. Not saying its wrong, I just don’t follow it. How much is your bonus exactly? How much is the shortfall between what you owe and the private party sale of the car?

quote:

That's the thing, none of these people are broke. They don't think I'm broke. They have 5-30k in debt, make 25-75k a year, they make their payments and pay down stuff slowly. Their lifestyle isn't out of control, but they don't live in the fight club house, sleeping on a mattress salvaged from an apartment fire, and eat whole chickens that are on sale because they're about to expire (this is my situation, by the way).

They don’t think you are broke, you don’t think they are broke, how interesting?

quote:

I guess this is some sort of group-think to get us to tow the party line of spending more than you're making in order to keep the whole North American fake-money financial hegemony working?

You might be onto something here.

quote:

I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. Why is it so necessary to wring everything enjoyable out of my life for three more months closer to being without debt? It's 3 months closer to freedom, yes, but the slavery isn't complete or that bad as long as I don't have to spend two years doing nothing but having sex and walking around this horrible loving town.

If you sold the car, got the beater and roughed it for a couple years, you would be debt free. You read the cornholio thread, look what he did in 2 years. And you will be 25, and earning good money. Think how many toys you can buy and vacations you can take? Instead you will be on the multi decade plan and take solace that you have a slave master, but he isn’t that bad. And sex is free and as a sex haver, you are already better off than 2/3 of goons.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Maybe I misread an earlier post, but did you say that because you were in the military, you were entitled to a bonus. I was specifically asking about that bonus. How much will this bonus be?

Do you want to get rid of this car or not? Because if you do, you will cut back where you can, pick up extra jobs here and there, sell something, not necessarily everything, get a small loan or a cash advance to tip you over the top, and you will sell it, and you will do it in less than 8 months. If you don’t want to sell it, then don’t.

So do you want to sell it or not? This is a yes or no question.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Actually those positive values (for gas and misc (apt)) are for repayments from people that I either drove places or bought things for with the promise of being repaid.

Just so I understand are these your friends who are not broke?

tuyop posted:

I hate how every post turns into this huge wall of text in this thread, so I'm sorry but I talked to a friend last night who is a bank teller and is not in any debt at all. Here's how our conversation went:

:downs:Me: I need to sell my car.
:eng101:Her: Why?
:downs: Well because the goons say that it's ruining me. I'm upside down on the loan 7500 dollars.
:eng101: Well, what the gently caress? Where are you going to get 7500 dollars in order to sell it?
:downs: I would have to sell my camera, computer, TV, et cetera for like 3 grand and then make minimum payments for 8-10 months to build the balance, then sell the car and pay back the loan.
:eng101: THAT IS THE WORST IDEA EVER. So they want you to drop to the minimums on all of your debt for almost a year, in order to pay off your lowest interest, highest-balance loan? Also, you still need a car, which could cost you thousands in repairs if you get a lovely one. This one is under warranty.
:downs: But the goons said... And the math...
:eng101: Maybe the goons aren't right about this. Your car is:
1. In its worst period of depreciation in its lifespan, the first two years after it was bought. Which means you will lose the most amount of money possible if you sell it soon.
2. That 7500 dollars would be way better going on your 29, 21, and 15 percent debt.
3. Getting rid of your car does not put you in a better position relative to your debt, or your assets. You'll end up with an unreliable POS, 25000 less than you had before in assets, savings, or less debt, plus the cost of any repairs that need to happen.
Instead, just put that money on your credit and savings so that you have a buffer and can pay off your horrible high interest poo poo faster.
:downs: Oh.

Is this advice sound? Why not?

Edit: Also, Pay day! Savings go up 125, balance goes up to 980 to pay for things next month. I have adjusted the August budget to reflect this.

Did you show her this thread?

This is how I would respond.

You have dug yourself in so deep and have so few assets to show for it that frankly you have no good options. You always have choices. Right now you lack good choices. You have to make the less bad choice. However the worst choice of all is for a broke guy to have 90+ percent of his assets in what is still a rapidly depreciating item, especially when it represents the largest chunk of debt and the largest payment. Interest rate magic isn’t going to help you. The reason you don’t have money isn’t because Dell charges you 29%. Its because you fly down to Mexico at the drop of a hat every time you have any room on a credit card and this car which has given you so many payments you hardly have anything left over.

I don’t think you should sell anything. Well, maybe the TV, but when you say computer, are we talking about the 4 year old laptop? I was kind of poking around your posting history last night; you are a really good photographer. I would hate to see you sell your camera.

You know what is pissing people off right now? Whenever there is a tough choice, you are armed with 27 excuses as to why the cure is 10 times worse than the disease. People roll their eyes when you start talking about moving into a tent and eating ramen for 8 months, or whatever the latest thing is. I’m guessing you don’t need 8 months to plan a vacation. I still don’t know why you can’t at least try to get a loan for some of the difference, maybe they will give it to you if your dad cosigns.

Is there a reason why you can’t make some money on the side with your photography skills? You have an eye for it, it is a passion of yours. Do people in New Brunswick get married, and if so, do they ever hire photographers?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chronojam posted:

As far as I know, his CV consists of a PI thread with photographs of pigeons. Good wedding photographers generally have the option to operate with a roaming posse instead of solo shots, photo touchup and album assembly skills and tools, and most of all a history working as part of a professional crew. Otherwise, you're worse off than "some guy my friend knows" going in without any recommendation :(

Perhaps he would be kind enough to cross-post examples of his work, but he posts quite a bit in the dork room. His stuff is beautiful. I was impressed. He captures the passing moments, the mood, everything is sharp, the angels are great, they are visually appealing. Credit must be given where credit is due. No, I don’t think it would be much of a stretch for him to network and get his name out there. His budget is so tight that a few extra hundred dollars would change his world.

Mod edit: It will be a punishable offense if anyone finds and posts pics or posts links to pics that he has not previously shared with the SA community.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 29, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I am pleased about June and July for spending (a little) less than I made.

Well part of that might be due to you being maxed out on your cards and unbankable when you try to obtain more debt.

How did you become $7000 upside down on your car? There has to be a broader lesson here.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I asked that because to continue the gym analogy, no one in BFC is a saint. We are all troubled in our own way, but most of the regulars go to the gym. And going to the gym means you don't have all the answers, and hopefully you are learning and observing how the other people do this. Where you are at is you just showed up for the first time and all you can see are the buff guys at the end benching 250 lbs. You are not noticing how we are all trying to figure it out and learn from each other.

How about this? We don't expect you to sell the car next week by selling every last thing you own. But even if it takes you a few months, you have to do it. And after you do it, THEN you take a vacation. You don't get to take vacations until you sell the car, even if you save cash for them. Savings go to clean up the car mess.

I do have to say, driving to Mazatlan was a gutsy move though, especially with all the kidnappings and drug violence. They probably don't see that many flashy cars with New Brunswick plates on them down there.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

It's cool to post the link here, but if I were you I would start a thread in SA-Mart and link to that instead.

More eyeballs that way.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I'm scared that the Dorkroom folks will find it and ridicule me endlessly for posting technically terrible photos.

You drove all the way from Canada to a Mexican resort, including at least 1500 kilometers of Mexican highway through areas where they are fighting a drug war and people get kidnapped every day. You had the time of your life blowing $60,000 dollars on trips and cars you can’t afford. You possibly had sexual relations with a transvestite? (Not that there’s anything with that, but I like my cock attached to a man :allears:) I thought this tyuop dude was bold, fearless, lived life to the fullest, and screw what people think. But drat, who are these monsters in the dorkroom!?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

You know I’m all in favor of saving to get rid of the car, but for this amount of money I would scrape together another $102.42 and send it with your $400 to Dell. Won’t it be nice to finally have them out of your life and use a laptop that you actually own? One fewer payment that you can put towards your other debts.

For the car, if you keep making regular payments and stop driving it into the ground by not putting 1000 km on it ever other weekend, you will be right side up faster. And you won’t spend as much on gas.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I made the mathematically correct choice and put it on the mastercard, so that's down to 1950.

If I were you, I would reconsider what account you will pay off first, and get rid of Dell, especially if you have decided that you will not be selling the car any time soon. If I recall, the Dell was something like 23% and the Mastercard something like 29%? If that’s the case, you probably will save somewhere around $3 in finance charge by paying Mastercard first. If your goal is to muddle along, then it doesn’t matter. But if you are really interested in attacking your debt, that means cutting back your lifestyle, i.e. there will be parts of your life that will really suck. Pain now, reward later. Knowing in the background that you saved $10 in finance charge doesn’t really excite most people’s internal passions. Probably you especially, since you said that looking at numbers on a computer screen doesn’t do anything for you. You’re not a nerd like cornholio (and you know I mean that affectionately) and for that matter most of BFC. You don’t get boners looking at excel spreadsheets going in the right direction. That’s just how your mind works. You need to score some early victories, and that will see you through the drudgery. Without the victories, you will lose focus, and your behavior won’t change. Next time you get $400 you are likely to buy yourself something nice because that will excite your brain more than the knowledge you saved some finance charge.

The other thing is all debt limits you. Your car is at 1.9%. But your excellent rate means nothing. You are just as trapped in the car. By knocking out the little accounts first, you will give yourself an immediate raise. You have been paying some of these for so long it just feels normal. But pay enough accounts off, you will have noticeably more money, and that is always good.

I saw this and thought of you.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/pf/1108/gallery.extreme_debt/index.html

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

Cant you just do your own hair?

My sister cut my dad's hair once. When he went back to his barber Lenny, he knew immediately someone who didn't know what they were doing had messed up his hair. But she did a better job than when he decided to cut his own hair when he was a kid. His grandmother used to cut it and after she did he went in there and decided to cut holes in it and claim she didn't know what she was doing. That went over like a lead balloon.

tuyop, could you go three weeks between haircuts? I want you to look nice and not get in trouble, and it's not like $13 is that much money, but over a year that's about $120 in savings.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Well, I'll focus on paying down the car so that I can start saving a down payment for a nice used one. Then I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a debt-free celebration vacation to SE Asia to surf two to three months after the 0 point.

I fixed this for you. I'm sure what you originally wrote was a typo.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Psycho Crusher posted:

I don't know if the car debt thing is such a big deal. He probably needs a car in some capacity, he already has it, it's his "dream car", it's fairly new, he knows the history of it, and the loan is only at 1.9%. By my bromath that means the total interest on his 25.5k car is about 1.8k. Is it really worth trying to pay off the car earlier, just to save a few hundred in interest? Or are we still talking about selling the car to get a better deal?

The point isn't that he has 1.9%. The point isn't even that he is $7000 in the hole. Or that he is driving it into the ground by putting 40,000 miles a year on it. The point is he is talking about a celebratory debt free vacation at the same time he is $25000 in debt.

Also don't let your bromath convince you that 1.9% allows you to buy cars you can't afford, or that interest is the largest expense in car ownership.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

CornHolio posted:

man, I'm debt free you guys! drat!

Are you debt free using standard math or tuyop math?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Not so much his choice of words. More their order.

He can do whatever he wants with the car. And keeping it has it's advantages, like you and he has mentioned. But it also has it's costs. And one of those costs is no large vacations to other continents until its paid.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Breetai posted:

This is terrible, and should scare the living poo poo out of you. You're an adult, not a teenager with a pizza delivery job.

Tuyop, have you read Zaurg's thread? Because while I know you've read Cornholio's, Zaurg is probably more your style what with the 'I made a budget but then I spent money beyond it anyway. Oh well' approach that you both seem to share.

You need to get over that mindset, pronto.

Edit: added thread link.

To his credit, he had a lot more fun getting into debt than Zaurg did. And he's in better shape. And eats heartier. And as far as I know has no growths coming out of his foot. He probably gets laid WAY more often too.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I'm more interested in long term financial decisions. I really don't think I'm exposed to enough risk to justify a huge emergency fund, regardless of what Dave Ramsey says.

In a way you should be thankful that BFC seems to quote Dave Ramsey a lot more than Suze Orman. She tells people to have an 8 month emergency fund before they start paying extra on debt. I think that's overkill. But yeah, it's good to have a $1000 buffer, but maybe in a savings account that is accessible but not quite as accessible as your checking.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

You still haven't gotten over the whole false dichotomy thing eh? Fitness and health aren't all-or-nothing things. There are only better decisions and worse decisions. Just because you have a cigarette or eat a spaghetti dinner with your folks doesn't mean that you're a fat, unhealthy piece of poo poo. You just made a bad decision. Health and fitness are all about averages, if you can make mostly good choices and mostly stick to a regimen, you're coming out ahead. I'd say finance is probably the same way, but I don't know much about that.

So yeah, you can lecture me on fitness when you run a 5:30 mile and deadlift twice your bodyweight, cornholio. Smoking half a pack a day is optional.

Are carbs that evil now that a spaghetti dinner and smoking are uttered in the same breath? You might be able to run a 5:30 mile but can you poo poo these 2 foot long logs that are impervious to toilets? :colbert:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

moana posted:

Yep, and you're making a bad decision to smoke (an expensive bad decision), expect to be castigated for it.

The good news is that since he is in :canada:, they will have a killing frost in about a month and mosquito control will be unnecessary.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Lyon posted:

If/when you guys were in debt I'd love to see you follow your own advice.

What makes you think we don’t? I’d wager that most of the regulars are sharing thing near and dear to them and stuff that has worked in their personal life.

People like to compare personal fitness and financial fitness, but like every analogy, it eventually breaks down. Personal fitness follows the 20/80 rule. Put in 20% of the effort, you get 80% of the reward. That is why you hear stories of how people lose 50 lbs when they cut out soda and fast food and take up walking. They might not win any beauty pageants, but it’s good enough. But if you are out of control with money, if you do 20% of the work, all you achieved is to be 20% less out of control. But the good news is the pain is temporary. Once you have cleaned up the mess, you can take your foot off the accelerator and your life becomes that much better.

It would be like if you could go to the gym every day for 2 years, and get in such awesome shape that you could eat even more junk food and drink even more soda than when you started and never put on a pound.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Speaking of fitness and stuff, how do you guys feel about sort of borrowing against my September grocery budget?

On course it's pretty difficult to supplement using shakes and stuff because you don't really have the time, not to mention maintaining some kind of nutrition in the field. I'd like to buy some whey bars and BCAA tablets instead of the powder that I usually eat and they're a bit more expensive than powders, but if I do it next month it probably won't make it through the army delivery system until October.

I can count on spending near-zero on groceries for the second half of September at least (Course starts Sept. 12). I'm worried because this is a bit of a slippery slope, and is literally spending money that I don't have, but I have a positive cash flow for this month that will just be kind of transferred to next month.

Is this a terrible idea?

To me that sounds like you under budgeted. I don’t care if you buy some protein bars, but seriously, how hard is it to throw some powder in a shaker bottle? And do you need BCAA tablets? Really, be honest. Isn’t it just protein that is a bit more bio-available, and you are already eating whey, the most available protein. Why do you think your body that laughs at cigarettes will disintegrate if you don’t take BCAA?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Do you even need protein suppliments? From what I've read, most people get more than enough protein in their diets to help them build/maintain muscle. That said, I don't care if you buy them either, but don't use "I NEED them" as an excuse to 1)buy something more expensive when the powder would work just fine, and 2)get into the bad habit of going "oh, I can just borrow against next month's budget." Even if you do think you need them, is it impossible to last another week so that you can get them out of next month's budget?

To be fair, when some is lifting and generally physically active, they do benefit by taking protein. And creatine. But neither is expensive and you don’t need anything fancy.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chronojam posted:

I thought you were going across Europe and across Asia, sorry. Obviously if you're only going across Asia alone then it's no big deal, have a nice trip :)

What are you talking about?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

If you've never budgeted before it takes a few months to get it right. They don't teach this in school especially if you are a free spirit who has never thought about this stuff before, it's not obvious. I don't like the cigarettes more than anyone else, but its not a crisis that he didn't get it 100% right his first month.

Now if he can stay out of planes and/or 3000 mile road trips....

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Try some merino wool poo poo. One guy wore a pair for 177 days straight on the Appalachian Trail and they didn't smell. No blisters either, for what it's worth.

I want an icebreaker merino wool bodysuit so bad. 300 bucks on long underwear when I already have several pairs of very nice polypropylene issued stuff is silliness though.

I love how your reaction to asmallrabbit’s spectacular post is to keep digging. It’s kind of endearing in a way.

Also one pair of socks for 177 days straight brings back weird flashbacks

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3268872

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Edit 2:
So what should I tell my girlfriend? Her income will go from 1200 to 2600 as of October 10. She was excited to finance a Mazda 2 when she got back. I told her that if she really wants to finance a new car, she should save 20% for a down payment and then finance for no more than 36 months. This was the advice given to me earlier in the thread. I can't control her, but I told her that if she keeps behaving as if she only makes 300 a week, she'll easily be able to pay for a used 6-7k car in cash by spring next year.

You can tell her anything you want, but I’m not sure why you think you have any credibility. That’s the downside of the “I’m broke but I’m going to keep buying stupid crap because it’s my money” attitude.

Also what moana said.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

/\/\/\ Just passing on the advice I'm getting here. What I do has nothing to do with the validity of the advice I might pass on.

It warms my heart that you find what we are saying useful. What you do doesn’t change the validity of the advice, only if she listens to it (or not). Send me a PM; I’ll buy her an account, that way she can read it herself.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

but I have a no-jokes large package and the dedicated mesh junk holder is gold.

You know, I thought that, but I've been accused of being obsessed with dick before, and because I'm supposed to help moderate this small corner of SA, I didn't dare say anything.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Those are the ones with the huge ridiculous grin on them.

Are you referring to tuyop or his car?

Also, last week I offered to buy his girlfriend a membership to these forums so she could read this thread. He immediately sent me a PM. I sent him a gift certificate that very day. A week has passed and so far no girlfriend has popped in to say hi. Are you there girlfriend?

If this situation doesn’t fix itself and I flushed $9.95 down the toilet, what would be a good mod challenge for tuyop to redeem himself?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ToeShoes posted:

Hi! I'm the girl friend.

Hi girlfriend!

You made tuyop's life considerably easier by posting here. I was afraid he ran off with my money and I was mulling ideas for mod challenges. I had decided that he would have have to make a sign on his car that said "Isn't this monthly payment a beauty!" and have his army buddies pose with it. That, or he could send me a picture of his package.

Questions for you:

1. I hope you have had the opportunity to read the thread. Has he been 100% honest, or are there items that you would like to amend or clarify?

2. How much does your underwear cost?

3. Would you be OK with any degree of gay for pay?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Badger Pudding posted:

7. How much does he really spend on cigarettes a month?

8. Does this scenario ever crop up:
:j:"Oh tuyop, it's so big!"
:smuggo:"No-jokes."

RealEdit: You guys should probably also know, I'm the ex-girlfriend. We used to live together and somewhat share finances, and he actually used to be really good with money. I'm only saying this because I think that it's proof that he is actually capable of not being a budgeting monster. I've just neglected from saying something because I wasn't sure if he wanted his privacy or whatever, but now that ToeShoes girlfriend is involved I've decided I don't care his privacy is moot his package is too large more fuel for the flame is a good thing.

What does it mean to somewhat share finances?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Taima posted:

I'm going to take this dong chat full circle back into financial territory.

Tuyop I am fittin' to save you so much paper on your no-jokes large condom bills: the cheapest place to buy the XLs is Bed Bath and Beyond. Counterintuitive for sure, isn't that straight out of left field, you would think like maybe Wal-Mart but nope.

WTF? Do you make them yourself out of shower curtains or something?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ToeShoes posted:

4. He doesn't wear underwear most days.

tuyop, you have some explaining to do. Why so much :10bux: on an article of clothing that you hardly ever wear?

RheaConfused posted:

Also, lack of drama that isn't going to happen implies that drama is going to happen. :iiam:

Where are you going with this? They obviously know each other in real life and must be pretty good friends to be overnight guests at each others houses. I highly doubt this is going to devolve into some type of cat fight.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 16, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ToeShoes posted:

He orders a lot of weird stuff on the internet and it just arrives here and he gets really excited about it.

Nibiru posted:

I want to know more about this :allears:

ToeShoes, I think this question was directed more at you.

Of course tuyop gave his standard answer that his boots and underwear have been budgeted for.

I am still waiting on a good explanation of why someone who goes commando needs expensive underwear.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ToeShoes posted:

What would you like to know? It's basically what I said, the mail comes and it's underwear or something else. So far I've encountered 2 online purchases knocking on the door, one was underwear, and the other was a camel pack (I think that's what it's called). I could say more but I'm not completely sure on what you want to know.

And, Thanks CuddleChunks, I definitely don't like not knowing what to do with the money. I'll take a look into Dave Ramsey.

It sounded so much more titillating when you talked about a lot of strange stuff from the internet being delivered to your house. The way you said it seemed like it was more than 2 things. But it is endearing in a way how he got excited when his camel pack arrived. Please let us know if he orders anything else. It will be fun for us and it might keep him honest with his budget.

With Dave Ramsey, I listen to him and find myself repeating a lot of his viewpoints. Just to give you a heads up, he is an evangelical Christian, and sometimes gets criticized because many of his answers have a biblical flavor. I give him a pass on that. It’s a big part of his life, and he is never in anyone’s face about it unless the caller asks their question in a biblical way. But his politics are just terrible. On one hand he genuinely cares for his callers best interests, while at the same time advocating tax policy that is bad for 95% of them. His get out of debt advice is better than his investment advice, and sometimes his tax advice is flat out wrong. I don’t agree with giving up the 401K match through work (not sure if there is an equivalent in Canada) while you get out of debt and build an emergency fund. I can see where he is coming from, but giving up thousands or tens of thousands of dollars seems too high of a price to pay to be out of debt a little bit sooner.

Overall, the show is very professionally done, he is an engaging host, and you would do well to listen to him to keep up the intensity and enthusiasm.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Its been fun, but time to reign in the talk of skid marks.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zaurg and tuyop are very different animals. At the very least, tuyop gets laid more often and had a lot more fun getting into debt. Also Zaurg’s thread was goldmined after he stumbled through 154 glorious pages.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3175682

What I still can’t wrap my head around is this underwear. Was it selected due to its amazing functionality in holding the no jokes large package? Or was it selected for it’s sexiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

asmallrabbit posted:

I think this thread started as a financial advice/help thread, but I have no idea what the hell it is now.

How does your income/expenses look so far this month Tuyop/ToeShoes?

I'm guilty of this too, but I've never seen BFC so enthralled with the OP’s nether regions.

artard posted:

I can't believe it's already been over a year since that thread was closed. They were the best of times, and the worst of times.

Mostly the worst of times.

• Locked thread