Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I wouldn't sell the car, nor the camera/computer. That would be dumb, especially with someone with your impulse habits. You'd have nothing to do and it would just entice you to spend more money. What you really need to do, especially since you have a pretty much 100% guaranteed income as a military employee is get your habits under control.

Spend more time with your current hobbies. You don't need to get rid of everything and live a lovely life, but you do need to change how you view money.

More troubling than the fact that everyone wants you to get rid of everything is the fact that you never once considered it yourself. If I was stressed out and losing sleep I would have considered all my options, even if I didn't do it... the fact that you still can't consider losing your camera isn't good for your financial wellbeing going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

moana posted:

People say this all the time, and it's the dumbest loving strawman. Who does this? Nobody does this. It's a false dichotomy you create so you can feel superior to people who don't make your dumb financial mistakes because your ambitions are somehow better or more important. People in BFC take vacations, buy nice cars, indulge in luxuries - we just don't go into debt to do it because we know that's a bad deal that costs much more than it should, especially if you ever run into bad luck along the way.

People do do this. I grew up dirt poor and was so accustomed to saving everything I could so I wouldn't end up like that and feeling anxiety about spending any money that I stockpiled a bunch of money and lived way below my means in a radically different tax bracket than my parents. I would constantly check my checking account and savings accounts. I know other people like this too.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Wolfy posted:

I can't wait for you to get out of debt by selling lovely, over-processed photos of hearts and then plunge right back by taking 6 consecutive vacations to Costa Rica.

There are a million worse ways to live than that.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Underarmor underwear stinks like hell. Get some icebreaker or smartwool. Only need one pair for the field!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

That's a great idea, spend the 200$/mo savings you had forgotten about (what the gently caress, how?) on fashion crap rather than improving your debt situation.

Maybe this is true for the military, but it's not completely "fashion crap." Looking presentable for job interviews is far worth the cost. Think of it as an investment (assuming you're applying for jobs that care/are worth it.)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

What does it mean to somewhat share finances?

Shared checking account for Magnum XXL purchases

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Who gives a gently caress why she wanted to quit her job? She has a couple weeks until basic starts and she wants to get her poo poo in order before she leaves and be in better shape. I quit a job for 2 months making a ton of money because I wanted to relax and travel and was a great decision. If I had posted about it here first everyone would have had a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah, let's be fair here. Vomik's out-of-context anecdote is what counts. The best financial advice is, after all, based on the life experience of goons. And no, not goons in the aggregate, but individual goons. Individual goons like Vomik.

Sorry. If you think a 2-4 week vacation from a low paying job before basic has any bearing on her long-term financial well-being you're delusional. She's not even the one who posted this thread asking for advice

• Locked thread