Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

tuyop posted:

Wait. Hey, I have a tent, there's this woods behind the old building on base where I lived, it's very private. What if I just take my tent and go live in there? I could sell literally everything I own except for a set of workout gear and my military kit. I'll keep it all under a tarp that I have while I'm not using it. I'll use the shower in the gym and get books from the library and cook my meals in the microwave. I think my expenses will be about 105 a month (groceries, soap, razors, batteries, gas for friends in case I need a ride). It'll take me a year to pay off EVERYTHING, then maybe I'll keep squatting for awhile to build that savings buffer. How does that sound to you guys?
The hyperbole is loving annoying. Stop it.

I'm with you on the car. I also agree with you on the food. Your income is decent, but your debt will crush you if you stay this course. If we carry the fitness analogy further, just like if your calories in are greater than your calories out, you will never get in shape, if your expenses exceed your income, you will never be in good shape financially.

In my opinion, your biggest problem is your ability to rationalize away everything. You need to make a big change in your attitude. Start making your decisions from a balanced perspective instead of trying to figure out how you can justify the decision you've already impulsively made. A one-week moratorium on buying anything over $20 seemed to work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

tuyop posted:

Are you saying the debt will crush me if I stay on the course I stayed on in July?
Yes. I think you missed a couple minus signs on your July budget that will reduce your +$99 balance for the month down to -$87.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

tuyop posted:

I'm an untrained officer and I work in a training company as an admin officer. I do maybe an hour of work a week. Mostly photocopying.

tuyop posted:

Yeah I'm pretty proud. Part of the problem, I guess. But I have a lot to be proud of, other than finances obviously.

And I have shitloads of long term life ambitions.
:psyduck: This just doesn't add up.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

tuyop posted:

I was just going to buy pads and front rotors and replace them myself using borrowed and rented tools and a friends' garage. They want 500 bucks for labor and two sets of pads and rotors. I'm pretty sure my back rotors are fine, and I brake very lightly because I always downshift so I'm not quite sold on the fact that my front rotors need replacing.

I priced the pads and rotors at around 120 dollars at Canadian Tire, if I'm remembering correctly. I want to have the money set aside for if I screw it up and have to take my car in anyway, though.
Most military bases here in the States have Auto Hobby Shops. If you pick up the pads and rotors and head on down there on a weekend, there will be all the tools you need plus a bunch of car enthusiasts to help you out. Do they have those up north too?

Also, thirding or fourthing that you probably don't need new rotors.

• Locked thread