Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

What you guys are telling me just seems like an unfit person being given a program to immediately change their diet and begin a grueling long term program. What if all I want is to lower my cholesterol, lose the spare tire and stop feeling out of breath when I climb the stairs?
The difference is that you see a spare tire, BFC sees a guy who's might to drop dead of a heart attack. And if you continue the analogy your friends are all fat.

zo posted:

Your "on course " is naively optimistic and is how many many people get in trouble.
Also this. You can't budget for the best-case scenario. Some of these things are predictable (birthdays, replacing boots, etc) while others aren't (speeding tickets), and it's the second kind that's going to get you in trouble.

Edit: Also, by your own math, selling the car would still get you out of debt a year and a half sooner. Throw your car payment into savings for 18 months and you'd have $6,750.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Her advice really isn't bad - as everyone else already pointed out, it's a matter of priorities. However, your car is a sticking point because it's such an insane expense for your income. 12% of your paycheck goes towards the car payment. Your car payment is more than than your rent. Including insurance and gas, a quarter of what you earn is spent on that car. Not only is it an enormous money sink, but it has negative value. You will be underwater on your car loan for another 18 months (if it didn't depreciate more, which it will). You need to at least acknowledge how much of a tradeoff that is.

So far, you haven't been able to identify a single expense you're willing to cut. At least sell the TV and put it towards the MasterCard.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 29, 2011

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

Yes. I understand that money is a means to an end. I am not interested in making it an end in itself. Having an ever compounding number in my web browser is not fulfilling for me. I don't have contempt for people who find that very satisfying, it's just not for me.
I'm guessing that most people who are sitting there watching compounding interest are doing it because they want to do things like retire. Or buy a house. Or any number of other things that cost stupid amounts of money. Nobody's swimming in their Scrooge McDuck money pools here.

Edit: Also, what the hell are you going to do with credit cards worth half your net income? :psyduck:

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 31, 2011

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

What's the most prudent thing to do with this 400 dollars right now? Should I save it or buy those boots ($165) so I can break them in this month or what? I could use a wireless card for my computer ($30). Or should I just dump it on the Mastercard this month? I was hoping to get the boots with my cash, gas and grocery overflow, if possible.
The Mastercard. It's another $10 in interest you're won't have to pay next month.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I think the beginning of your resume is the weakest. You have all the vague material at the top, like "accomplished wide range of tasks with a wide range of teams" and "extremely organized." The more concrete and interesting things are lower, like "monitored multiple databases to keep track of 160 personnel deployed across seven provinces and 18 organizations." Your resume sounds much stronger where you're explicit.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 28, 2012

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

Yeah, you guys are right. :( I'm feeling a lot of buyer's remorse at this point.
Have you installed/worn them yet? You could always try to return them.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Can't you just spend $20 on a pair of slippers and a sweater? 16° C/61° F seems like a pretty reasonable winter temperature for a house.

Edit: Also heating your apartment with the oven sounds vaguely unsafe to me. Or like the sort of thing that would really piss off your landlord.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 8, 2012

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

recently quit coffee because I was drinking 21-30 cups a day (7 days no caffeine)
:stare: I am never going to complain about caffeine withdrawal again. Good on you, Tuyop.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

Yup, tried that. I even tried soaking them for longer, changing the water every eight hours. Then I would boil the poo poo out of them for two hours, changing the water four times.

Still, civilization-rending farts. :(
Beano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Hey tuyop, two years ago, you'd have financed a Macbook already (along with all the accessories) and everyone would be yelling at you. Just wanted to point out that you're doing better and shouldn't gently caress it up now.

• Locked thread