Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Berkut posted:

I reaffirmed my decision to never own a loving credit card. EVER. :slick:
As long as you're building credit in other ways, that is fine. I don't understand the mentality, though. If you have the willpower to never own a credit card, what is so hard about just not misusing it?

Tuyop, plenty of people in BFC live the baller no kids lifestyle, just without having a crippling amount of debt threatening our financial stability (the fact that some people manage to survive and get rid of that debt doesn't mean it's not dangerous). You need to change your attitude about money, and that won't come quickly, but it does need to happen. And don't listen to the average person, the average person thinks real estate and gold are great investments and will buy into anything that advertises get rich quick results. You eschew the average mentality about the "American Dream"; why are you being suckered in by the average mentality of the acceptability of crushing debt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Having an ever compounding number in my web browser is not fulfilling for me. I don't have contempt for people who find that very satisfying, it's just not for me.
People say this all the time, and it's the dumbest loving strawman. Who does this? Nobody does this. It's a false dichotomy you create so you can feel superior to people who don't make your dumb financial mistakes because your ambitions are somehow better or more important. People in BFC take vacations, buy nice cars, indulge in luxuries - we just don't go into debt to do it because we know that's a bad deal that costs much more than it should, especially if you ever run into bad luck along the way.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

And my xbox live membership ran out today. $60 more this month. :(
That's not how a budget works. If you haven't planned and saved for it, you don't buy it. You can cut down on your restaurant and entertainment expenses for this month, for example, and use that money for your X-box thing instead. You don't just get to add a bunch of poo poo that you want everytime you want a bunch of poo poo, and say "whoops, over budget". That is not a budget, that is you just throwing money everywhere and taking notes on where it lands.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Psycho Crusher posted:

You guys seem way vigilant about car loans. Do you all pay cash for your cars?
Nope, I have a 0% interest 5 year loan out on mine, but with enough cash in savings to pay it off immediately. Car loans can be good, but they are usually a way for salesmen to get you to buy more than you can truly afford.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

There are only better decisions and worse decisions.
Yep, and you're making a bad decision to smoke (an expensive bad decision), expect to be castigated for it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Still don't know how to make a graph. :(
Do you have Excel? If so, it's super easy: http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/excelcharts/ss/line_graph.htm

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

So what should I tell my girlfriend?
Tell her you deserve $100 underwear but she can't get the nice toy she wants.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I'm actually having a heart attack right now just thinking about Vomik's vacation. Thanks a lot, Vomik.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Bad fortune comes to everyone at times, though some certainly more than others, but all you can do is prepare and try to make the best of it when it comes. If there's anything we can help you with or advise on just let us know.

Where are you right now?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I think it's a better lesson for everyone else who thinks they're invulnerable to things. Hell, I bought a house and one year later the DOJ shuts down poker sites and we move to Canada. Anything can happen, and it's good to plan for the worst while you hope for the best.

This is another thing that was touched on in Elizabeth Warren's book - most people don't think about what they need to do if things go nuts, so when it happens they get hit even worse. Taking a few hours now to put together an "Oh poo poo" plan will save you lots of misery and stress if and when it actually happens.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

And I think teachers have a huge amount of status, personally. I know they're not really that appreciated in society but I would love it enough to not care.
Speaking as someone who actually taught for a living, this is the best advice I can give you: Everybody who thinks they would love to teach imagines themselves as the awesome teacher who inspired them in school. But for the first couple of years, you won't be that teacher. Remember the teacher who never got assignments back on time? Who was unfair in their grading policy? Who let bad kids gently caress up their classroom and was always yelling and mean and grumpy? You are going to be that teacher, not because you want to be, but because everybody is that teacher at first, when they're still learning to teach.

You seem to have this idealistic notion that you're going to love teaching and that'll make everything better and worth it. Well, I love teaching. I've known my entire life that I wanted to be a teacher. It was my loving dream; I would line up my stuffed animals when I was five years old and teach them how to add numbers. And I only lasted a year teaching public school before I quit. The worst teachers are the ones who can't quit because they need the paycheck. If you want to be a teacher, wait until you're stable (financially, emotionally) and then try it. Don't go into it blazing into more debt with no way out.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, I've been making like $1k/month just writing a few stories here and there, it's a pretty good gig.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I don't know about you guys, but I just live in a nest made out of Christmas wrapping paper, power tools, linens, and camping gear. gently caress closets!!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I could really use a microwave/food processor/whatever kitchen gadget, but for now I'm trying to make do with a gifted pot set, a few pans that were on sale, a chef knife and paring knife, also on sale, and an oven. It's not heroic, but I think it's an example of control over my gear whore impulses.
I got my first microwave for free off of craigslist because the display was broken. Used it for five years no problem and replaced it with one I saw on sale for like $25. If your past is any indication, you'll "go without" a microwave for a year and then convince yourself that your willpower means you deserve to buy a $200 top-end microwave. So don't do that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hell yeah, just picked out my free shirt. Thanks tuyop!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I got my t-shirt! Thanks tuyop :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

cstine posted:

Because Cornholio took care of his poo poo without having to resort to living in a car?
No, he resorted to a butter knife. Or was that zaurg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats tuyop! I always had faith in you(r BASIL scheme)!!

• Locked thread