Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dolash posted:

That just makes me wonder if there's a specific soldier patrolling in Oblivion that Asotil is meant to represent. Then again if he dies in the story and is replaced by some other patrolling legionnaire we wouldn't know.

I've taken it as Asotil is every soldier of the Imperial Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kazerad posted:

Seriously though, whenever someone really hates my work I try to figure out where they are coming from. I think I found your DeviantArt page, and you were apparently doing a commission drive? If that's still a thing you're doing, would you have an interest in advertising on my site? I've been planning to try out some new on-site advertising techniques I came up with, but I need some people offering products/services to help me kick it off. I don't care about payment or anything, I'd just want detailed statistical info on how it affects your commission quantities. The problem with Google Ads is that they give me no indication of what happens after people click on the ad, which is what I care about.

...Kazerad wins the classiness game with a three-pointer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dolash posted:

That just makes me wonder if there's a specific soldier patrolling in Oblivion that Asotil is meant to represent.

Try hanging out in the Countess' place and see if any soldiers show up and dump a load of dead bodies there. Then follow that guy.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I really liked this. Could anyone recommend any other paint adventures that are just as good?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RandomFerret posted:

You should follow her around a bit. All the NPCs have their own routines, remember.

Twice a week she really does attend the Countess' dinner party, and once a month she wakes up early and starts on a two-day walk to Chorral, where she meets up with her special friend and they spend the week together. They sleep in the same bed.

So this is actually cannon? :stare:

Good god, who actually figured that out without using the level editor? Who would even notice?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Volmarias posted:

So this is actually cannon? :stare:

Good god, who actually figured that out without using the level editor? Who would even notice?

Probably started with someone stealing crap in Chorrol and wondering what the hell Quill-Weave was doing all the way over there. From there it's already demonstrated that she's got a weird schedule, so there's an actual reason to follow her around.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Probably started with someone stealing crap in Chorrol and wondering what the hell Quill-Weave was doing all the way over there. From there it's already demonstrated that she's got a weird schedule, so there's an actual reason to follow her around.

I think there's a quest which she takes part in at some point, so you might try looking for her and she'll end up being in Chorrol.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I don't care if you have complaints about how 'original' Prequel is - all I know is it makes me laugh, I like it, and I look forward to some interesting character development.

And Kaz gets super bonus points for responding like a classy fella.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Anti_Social posted:

I don't care if you have complaints about how 'original' Prequel is - all I know is it makes me laugh, I like it, and I look forward to some interesting character development.

Echoing this sentiment. Regardless of any creative merit it may or may not have, it's definitely entertaining, and Kazerad gets bonus points for responding to criticism like an adult.

Black Huntress
Oct 8, 2001

Anti_Social posted:

Yeah, this really does seem like ~original~ furries getting sore at a 'derivative' one for being more popular. I do not know a thing about Morrowind and quite like Prequel, though I worry this thread as spoiled me on the Kvatch thing.

EvilKosh
Oct 23, 2000

If they saw my face, could I still take a bow? Will they know me, NOMI, know me, now?

idonotlikepeas posted:

...Kazerad wins the classiness game with a three-pointer.

I don't think playing Internet detective is particularly classy. I'm a little creeped out.

I'll be going now. Please don't find my address, because I am sorry. I apologize. I love Prequel. I have no problem with it.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

EvilKosh posted:

I don't think playing Internet detective is particularly classy. I'm a little creeped out.

I'll be going now. Please don't find my address, because I am sorry. I apologize. I love Prequel. I have no problem with it.

This is hilarious. Either you actually did a Deviant Art commission drive, and are apparently ashamed of this fact, or you're just trolling. I'm going to guess the latter, as if you were as creative and such as you seem to think you are, you'd not be afraid of said Deviant Art page being shared on the Something Awful Internet Forums.

This aside, I like Prequel quite a bit. You might be copying the MSPA style, but you're also easier to enjoy. This is not necessarily a bad thing!

EvilKosh
Oct 23, 2000

If they saw my face, could I still take a bow? Will they know me, NOMI, know me, now?

nukethewhales posted:

This is hilarious. Either you actually did a Deviant Art commission drive, and are apparently ashamed of this fact, or you're just trolling. I'm going to guess the latter, as if you were as creative and such as you seem to think you are, you'd not be afraid of said Deviant Art page being shared on the Something Awful Internet Forums.

I just want to know why someone says something bad about their comic in an Internet thread and they go and start googling people. My DA account isn't THAT hard to find, but the fact that Kaderaz went out of their way to track me down is really kind of weird.

As far as my commission drive, it went very well, I'm working on some cool art for people, and I was able to make enough money to pay some bills and buy the medication I desperately need. If you're going to begrudge me for that I don't know what to say. Again, I don't know what it has to do with Prequel.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Oh hey, update! :siren:

All things considered, that went pretty well. :haw:

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
D'aww... Culinary skills. :3:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh wow, will you look at the angry eyebrows on that horse!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Horse is unfuckwittable.

e - haha Kosh took his AIM name out his profile. Now he can threadshit with impunity!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
That mudcrab had it coming. Filthy creature.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

Black Huntress posted:

Yeah, this really does seem like ~original~ furries getting sore at a 'derivative' one for being more popular. I do not know a thing about Morrowind and quite like Prequel, though I worry this thread as spoiled me on the Kvatch thing.

:psyduck: Or maybe it's all discussion about a comic in a comic's discussion thread. It's not personal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I went and bought me some Oblivion because of this comic. Then I went and killed me a mudcrab. It was oddly satisfying.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Good webcomic, it blends humour and character development to be a highly interesting read. I can't wait for more.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I went and bought me some Oblivion because of this comic. Then I went and killed me a mudcrab. It was oddly satisfying.

Oblivion is underrated, but you really need to mod it to fix the leveling system. And mod it just for the hell of it, because the TESC games are ridiculously moddable, like so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fxVeAVl2I8

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

Phylodox posted:

I was considering grabbing it and Fallout 3 at Costco for under 20 each but I recall echoes of people saying the 360 versions of both had problems so I didn't yet

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FutureSushi posted:

I was considering grabbing it and Fallout 3 at Costco for under 20 each but I recall echoes of people saying the 360 versions of both had problems so I didn't yet

I got both of them for the PC on Steam. Oblivion was $24 but Fallout 3 was something ridiculous like $5.

And now, between the two of them, I've got Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, and Liam Neeson in my video games. It's a nerd hat trick.

EDIT: And now Oblivion and Morrowind are on sale for $14. gently caress you, Steam, gently caress you so, so much.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 5, 2011

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Humboldt squid posted:

Oblivion is underrated, but you really need to mod it to fix the leveling system. And mod it just for the hell of it, because the TESC games are ridiculously moddable, like so

I loving lost it when he started "swimming"

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Thanks to this comic and the odd-but-fond memories of Oblivion, I just pre-ordered Skyrim. Let's hope it's just as weirdly fun.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Factory Factory posted:

Thanks to this comic and the odd-but-fond memories of Oblivion, I just pre-ordered Skyrim. Let's hope it's just as weirdly fun.

Well if the moddability of previous games is anything to go by, it can only be made better by adding dragons! :buddy:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I just downloaded Oblivion on my xbox now. Maybe I'll actually do all that DLC I had bought when it came out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I looked into the background of this game series a little and apparently there's like more than a dozen types of Khajit (probably to account for the wildly varying balance between cat and person from game to game), so what kind is Katia supposed to be exactly?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Dolash posted:

I looked into the background of this game series a little and apparently there's like more than a dozen types of Khajit (probably to account for the wildly varying balance between cat and person from game to game), so what kind is Katia supposed to be exactly?

There's only one kind in Oblivion, Suthay-Raht.

The Worst Unicorn posted:

:psyduck: Or maybe it's all discussion about a comic in a comic's discussion thread. It's not personal.

Coulda fooled me.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

The way I see it, there are two reasons to produce fan-fiction. The bad, more common reason is basically self-insertion fantasy. That generally produces low-quality fiction that goes nowhere and serves no purpose. The better, less common reason is to hone your writing skill without having to create a setting or characters out of whole cloth. It's the literary equivalent of training wheels, letting you get the hang of writing in a safe, known world, perhaps allowing you to explore themes or ideas that weren't necessarily presented in the original work. Like the self-insertion fan-fiction, it can never really go anywhere, since eventually you're doomed to run into the copyright wall, but it can serve a purpose; at worst, it's practice and at best it can still entertain people.

There's a third reason, related to the second that you said; if your goal is specifically to explore themes or ideas that weren't presented. That is, you're writing it explicitly for that, not just as a side effect of practicing your writing. In order to explore a situation, a scenario, or something like that in another setting that you think would be interesting to explore.

But I don't think a lot people that do fanwork have many thoughts about that work on its own going anywhere; they do it just for the work itself. Yeah there are some that try to sell their things, but others are happy just to keep it at the level of a hobby, or to do it on the side while they keep to writing other things as their making-a-living work. Not necessarily as practice, just because they like exploring other settings in various ways.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'm glad I noticed this thread, this comic is really cute. :) I'm enjoying it a lot even without much knowledge of Elder Scrolls.

That would also make this the third webcomic this board has gotten me into...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Update. And apparently a new player character.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm glad I noticed this thread, this comic is really cute. :) I'm enjoying it a lot even without much knowledge of Elder Scrolls.

That would also make this the third webcomic this board has gotten me into...

I kinda wonder if this can really be called a comic though, it has images in sequence that tell a story, so I guess Scott McCloud would call it one, but to me it really seems like something more along the lines of an illustrated D&D campaign, with the audience being the player and the author being the dungeon master.

It probably belongs in BSS though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'd definitely call it a comic, especially since it's basically ditched the more game-like features that MSPA made use of, like the inventory system. It doesn't have a traditional panel layout but essentially yeah it's a comic with an audience-driven narrative.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Humboldt squid posted:

I kinda wonder if this can really be called a comic though, it has images in sequence that tell a story, so I guess Scott McCloud would call it one, but to me it really seems like something more along the lines of an illustrated D&D campaign, with the audience being the player and the author being the dungeon master.

Yeah I did hesitate to call it a comic but I wasn't sure what else to call it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Our new character has been named. I was definitely not expecting him or his freshly-revealed character traits.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
I'm probably gonna try smaller updates for a little while, see how it works out.

EvilKosh posted:

I just want to know why someone says something bad about their comic in an Internet thread and they go and start googling people. My DA account isn't THAT hard to find, but the fact that Kaderaz went out of their way to track me down is really kind of weird.
Creepiness was unintentional; sorry for any discomfort there!

I try to always take criticism into account, but it helps to weight the criticism based on its source. That is to say, when someone is really hating on your stuff it helps to identify whether they are a trained professional or, like, a twelve year old with incredibly important opinions. When I discovered you did a lot of great fanwork yourself and were raising money by drawing other people's characters, some of your earlier criticisms about me trying to capitalize off the work of others admittedly sounded a little jealous in retrospect. So I figured I'd offer you some of my dudes, just in case you needed them. Apologies for the detectiving, no malice was intended.

Hopefully that answers your question!

Humboldt squid posted:

Scott McCloud will call anything a comic.

But seriously, I don't know what to consider the MSPA-type format either; it's something between comic, cartoon, and illustrated story. But regardless, it's actually surprisingly fun to use.

I've tried to start webcomics in the past, but the part that always stopped me up was how utterly boring 99% of the work was. If you're trying to do decent character development, that (usually) means there's going to be a lot of talking. Not only does that quickly get very dull to draw, but with healthy speechbubble-to-image ratios it means you have to draw one picture for practically every paragraph.

As an author, the MSPA style feels like a "no bullshit" approach. You just kind of do whatever works best for you (or the story) at that moment. And the interesting fact is that it really doesn't affect readability that much. The more I experiment with it, the more it seems like people don't really care whether the text is beneath an image or stuffed into bubbles, or if you don't try to hide your copy-pasting.

Honestly, I think the format MSPA uses is perhaps best described as a comic that sheds the arbitrary constraints of comics. Unlike the Scott McCloud stuff, though, it doesn't make a big deal out of it or claim the future lies in something tediously inconvenient like Infinite Canvas. It's more about just telling a story using whatever tools are at your disposal, not flaunting your originality, and not hiding your shortcuts. I highly encourage anyone to try it out for a couple pages if you ever get a chance; it's kind of addictive.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 8, 2011

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Kazerad, are you only taking suggestions from the MSPA forums? Are you paying attention to the comments on the Prequel site, or are you strictly sticking to one command area?

Dmitri seems like an interesting fellow. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Worm King and his followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I don't know what's more surprising, seeing the necromancer return, or the acknowledgment that what he did was not morally sound by any regard, even though it wasn't really rape. Either way, bravo, I want to see more. :golfclap:

And yes, I'd like to know where you take suggestions for commands from as well, I'm kind of interested in joining in on it now, especially if it doesn't mean having to brave the MSPA forums.

• Locked thread