Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Hi Kaz!

I found and started reading this at 3am in lieu of trying to sleep again. It's really enjoyable, both in writing and PICTERS. I was a little put off by things that have been beaten to death in this thread at first but I've gotten past that and find myself laughing at most gags.

I'm glad you registered to post replies in this thread as well, that's always neat to see.

I'm currently on an mspa hiatus because the scratch interlude is something I don't like and will power through in one sitting once it's over, but the style of prequel is filling that void for me right now.

It will be neat to see what you go and do after this, as I feel you have a lot of talent completely independent of the MSPA formula and as much as I'm enjoying Prequel I'd love to see what else you can do.

Have you made any other webcomics or anything before?

ps: if you want an avatar cert I'll buy you one so you won't be a stupid newbie anymore :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sure, they're carnivores and they love organ meat. My mother used to have a cat whose favorite food in the whole world was raw chicken liver.
Some people actually had a short discussion about this in that page's comments, and apparently hearts are considered muscle meat as far as nutrition goes? The More You Know, I guess.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Have you made any other webcomics or anything before?
I've tried doing comics, but none of them ever got very far. I used to strongly believe that any "good" comic needed to have a consistent art style and avoid things like copy-pasting and background reuse. After I started playing with MSPA's style, though, I realized that these things really didn't matter that much. 99% of readers don't care if you cut some corners, and many comic artists expend a lot of effort trying to please that last 1%.

Prior to Prequel, my biggest projects were just prototypes I made for game design competitions. Here's an example some friends and I built about a year ago. I recommend just skipping up to 3:00 so you can see a giant spider kill a bunch of birds.

Liquid Penguins posted:

ps: if you want an avatar cert I'll buy you one so you won't be a stupid newbie anymore :3
Thanks for the offer, but I don't really have any avatars I want to use! As far as I'm concerned, Stupid Newbie Baby is as good as anything else.

But if you want, you can buy me an avatar cert and give me an avatar (and title?), and I will use them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The animation style for that spider boss is pretty awesome. I wish I could play that, even though I'm not sure what was going on. (I had no sound, so if you were explaining that I missed it.)

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Kazerad posted:

But if you want, you can buy me an avatar cert and give me an avatar (and title?), and I will use them.

I'd ask for your email but you can just send me one instead and I'll hook you up.

mk at kittenpile dot com

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'd ask for your email but you can just send me one instead and I'll hook you up.

mk at kittenpile dot com
Replying to your email is proving a huge hassle for some reason. I think you sent my webmail into a panic by using the word "scam".

EDIT: yeah, for some reason it just won't let me send a reply to your address. My account is indeed registered to a at foxmage dot com, though.

EDITEDIT: secret word was apple! I put edited it into an earlier post actually, I'll take it out now.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 17, 2011

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Kazerad posted:

Replying to your email is proving a huge hassle for some reason. I think you sent my webmail into a panic by using the word "scam".

EDIT: yeah, for some reason it just won't let me send a reply to your address. My account is indeed registered to a at foxmage dot com, though.

Okay cool, didn't mean to make it such a hassle. But what I said is true, people can be assholes on the internet! Just wanted to double check because believe it or not I got three (3!!) emails claiming to be you!

e: you still didn't use the secret word though :|

(kidding, sending the cert and assorted bullshit now) e2: sent, enjoy!

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 17, 2011

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

With regards to an avatar for Kazerad, or anyone, I always figured combining this panel with this panel would make a great avatar. Except I'm lazy and never got around to it.

(Images are from several updates ago so no spoilers.)

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

I made both of these before ultimately deciding on a much more obscure panel. Major high-five to Liquid Penguins for the Avatar certificate! I'd thank you directly if my email client would let me mail to you.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Just wanted to double check because believe it or not I got three (3!!) emails claiming to be you!
I'm actually a little proud of this; this is the first time I've had impersonators. I hope they at least put on a convincing show.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Kazerad posted:

I made both of these before ultimately deciding on a much more obscure panel. Major high-five to Liquid Penguins for the Avatar certificate! I'd thank you directly if my email client would let me mail to you.

I'm actually a little proud of this; this is the first time I've had impersonators. I hope they at least put on a convincing show.

Well it's not quite imposters but rather people trying to trick me into giving them free stuff. But you're welcome!

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Hey Kaz, I dig the new avatar/title combo! :v:

Speaking of which, Prequel updated again! http://prequeladventure.com/2011/08/dmitri-be-katia/

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Is it me or is Landorumil shaped really weirdly overall?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like the stylized cartoon people, it gives everyone a sort of distinctiveness.

Oh, and I am stealing "take a potion of chill" so hard for my own use. It's the sort of almost-obvious jokey pun that I've never heard yet instantly wondered how I'd never thought of it.

Also I'm glad we're getting a second protagonist - even if we don't see much of him, or not for long, it provides a lot of variety to move the perspective around like this.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Zenzirouj posted:

Is it me or is Landorumil shaped really weirdly overall?

We're talking about Oblivion here; where faces and melted candles are indistinguishable from one another.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I just googled Landorumil and didnt find poo poo aside from a prequel link. Is he not an Oblibion NPC?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It's not just you, and it's really funny.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Meme Emulator posted:

I just googled Landorumil and didnt find poo poo aside from a prequel link. Is he not an Oblibion NPC?

He is not.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Dolash posted:

I like the stylized cartoon people, it gives everyone a sort of distinctiveness.

Yeah, I'm intentionally trying to give every character a distinct appearance. One of my pet peeves is when artists give everyone the exact same body shape. I've noticed this is particularly prevalent with female characters; oftentimes an artist has no trouble giving a variety of body shapes to male characters, but every female character comes out as nothing more than a "head swap". I abide by the notion that in general, all the characters should be recognizable by silhouette even if their heads were covered up.

Ironically, the game this is largely based off of (Oblivion) depicted only two body shapes in the entire world.

By the way for anyone's not following the MSPA forums thread, there are some great Landorumil edits going on there.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Kazerad posted:

I abide by the notion that in general, all the characters should be recognizable by silhouette even if their heads were covered up.

Ironically, the game this is largely based off of (Oblivion) depicted only two body shapes in the entire world.

This is a great way to design characters and a lot of actual real professional artists use that design philosophy as well.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Fudge Handsome posted:

This is a great way to design characters and a lot of actual real professional artists use that design philosophy as well.

It was one of the primary goals when Valve was designing TF2, too. They wanted classes to be instantly identifiable on silhouette alone.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I really hope we get a joke with ASOTIL and STOP! Youve Violated the Law!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenzirouj posted:

It was one of the primary goals when Valve was designing TF2, too. They wanted classes to be instantly identifiable on silhouette alone.

Oh how I remember those days.

Where did it all go wrong

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

pandaK posted:

Oh how I remember those days.

Where did it all go wrong

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
more hats = better than

Though it's hard to blame them when there are so many people willing to pay real money for internet hats.

edit: ahah, just noticed her beard

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 21, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Zenzirouj posted:

edit: ahah, just noticed her beard

Great for infiltrating lumber yards and mage guilds.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
BLACK. CATS.

This update is just the greatest thing.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Holy poo poo, that was goddamned hilarious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Landorumil that is a completely racist thing to say. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah. That took me a moment. 'But Katia isn't bla...oooooooooooooooooooooooh'

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
Hahahahaha holy poo poo, that's great. A terrible thing to say, but jesus that's hilarious.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

MikeJF posted:

Hah. That took me a moment. 'But Katia isn't bla...oooooooooooooooooooooooh'

The joke was so subtle that it hit me like a mortar brick. :bang:

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Impossible interspecies children is such a great phrase. You're doing a great job on both the writing and the art for this Kazerad.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
:catstare:
Well, the new update was probably the best way to handle that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Post poste posted:

:catstare:
Well, the new update was probably the best way to handle that.

And yet totally unexpected...

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

And now I debate getting a Landorumil Memorial Avatar.

It also occurs to me that Gharug gro-Upp is basically an Oblivion PC as played by your average RPG player (that is, a murderous pick-pocket).

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

LtStorm posted:

And now I debate getting a Landorumil Memorial Avatar.

It also occurs to me that Gharug gro-Upp is basically an Oblivion PC as played by your average RPG player (that is, a murderous pick-pocket).

Now we know who ends up in jail and saves the world if the catgirl dies.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
God drat, look at how many clovers there are. He has all the luck. All of it.

At least most of it.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Oh hey, it's that guy again. I like that fresh crop of clover he's sporting, looks like someone's had some luck off-screen.

If he keeps popping up like this, Gharug could quickly become one of my favorite recurring villains. It's hard to dislike that positive attitude of his, not to mention his patter while he's getting his rob on.

I do hope Dmitri manages to keep the Ring of Firewalking away from him, though. :ohdear: Gharug is already pretty well stocked for a highway-man, it'd be a shame to give him more tools against Katia in their inevitable re-match.

jim bag
Jun 5, 2004

So... um...

I'm not very knowledgeable on necromancer combat abilities. What exactly can Dmitri do to get out of this situation?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Summon a sexy skeleton to distract the orc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Necromancer#Necromancer_Spells

We already know he can summon a skeleton. According to this, he should also be able to summon a ghost or a zombie, and should have two attack spells and one healing spell. However, he's got an actual name instead of just "Necromancer" so who knows.

• Locked thread