Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

can't she have a untainted win already?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
In what world would the shopkeeper take a thieving cat's word that the job was done?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't really see a problem with the pacing, she's spent exactly one update trying to get out of the attic. (So far...)

I'd much rather have shorter updates anyway if that means we get them faster.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Reminder that the best possible ending of this comic is Katia landing in Imperial prison.

Things... aren't going to go that great for her.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I doubt that Rajirra's going to get 100% of the payment unless she stole it from the shopkeeper. The sound of fireballs and breaking furniture and fire runes exploding in the attic would have started fairly quickly after she left the room, so the shopkeeper wouldn't willingly give her the money knowing the job wasn't done.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Pakled posted:

I doubt that Rajirra's going to get 100% of the payment unless she stole it from the shopkeeper. The sound of fireballs and breaking furniture and fire runes exploding in the attic would have started fairly quickly after she left the room, so the shopkeeper wouldn't willingly give her the money knowing the job wasn't done.

It's going to turn out she stole literally everything in that shop including the shopkeeper's pants, what else can you expect from a dirty khajiit stereotype. Kata will find her rolling around on a pile of moon sugar when she finally tracks her down.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Where's my pin kaz :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jackard posted:

Seriously you don't need multiple updates figuring out how to leave a loving attic

Clearly you've never hit a barred door in Oblivion.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Grapplejack posted:

Where's my pin kaz :argh:

I don't know where you are, but it's probably in the mail! They just hit Eastern US yesterday. I'm sending them marked as nonmachinable this time and I don't know what effect that will have on the times, especially internationally. I look forward to finding out, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mine's heading overseas, so there's probably a bit of a wait on that one.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I got mine already, but then again, I live in Maryland so it didn't exactly have far to travel.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JT Jag posted:

Reminder that the best possible ending of this comic is Katia landing in Imperial prison.

Things... aren't going to go that great for her.
Is that even really possible? Sigrid seems to have the whole overpowered player character thing locked up tight, the best Katia can hope for is a low tier NPC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CrashCat posted:

Is that even really possible? Sigrid seems to have the whole overpowered player character thing locked up tight, the best Katia can hope for is a low tier NPC.

Sigrid is an actual NPC in oblivion. She's a random NPC in the Kvatch refugee camp.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CrashCat posted:

At some point after being sent to the dungeon in the Imperial City, Katia will achieve CHIM, allowing her to rise above all limitations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

cheetah7071 posted:

Sigrid is an actual NPC in oblivion. She's a random NPC in the Kvatch refugee camp.
Well I'll be damned, I thought anyone that hosed up had to be a player insert. CHIM position still open for takers then.

Though to be fair looking at her UESP page I'm not surprised I forgot she existed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pakled posted:

That's exactly why Rajirra would have waited for it to stop before claiming the reward before Katia could get out of the room. If all the fighting stops and the cat comes down unscathed it's not far fetched to assume she won. Like I said she could claim Katia died in the fighting.

Absum
May 28, 2013

This update was weird to me because I hadn't realized Rajirra had stolen the rope. I assumed Katia gave it to her when Rajirra went to scout and used a rope and using the rope for that was specifically mentioned.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Absum posted:

This update was weird to me because I hadn't realized Rajirra had stolen the rope. I assumed Katia gave it to her when Rajirra went to scout and used a rope and using the rope for that was specifically mentioned.
I wasn't paying close attention, but I figured maybe she'd leave it attached as an escape route. Can never have too many ways out of a room, as has become evident

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cheetah7071 posted:

She's also (I think) the only NPC in the game with 100 in Alchemy.

Pakled posted:

At some point after being sent to the dungeon in the Imperial City, Katia will achieve CHIM, allowing her to rise above all limitations.

She already has. That's what her inventory and ability to levitate stuff is. That's CHIM.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
What? No, Katia has not achieved CHIM. You can't reach that state and not have the profound understanding that defines it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The last two posts made me lose an hour of my life to the Elder Scrolls wiki, initially so I could find out what CHIM was but, you know... wikis. Can't just read one article.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
The deep lore of The Elder Scrolls is a mindsucking vortex that will devour your free time, and it's a loving crime that the games don't properly reflect any of it. Then again, it's probably a bit much to expect of Bethesda.

Check our c0da.es if you got a hankering for more TES "flavored" Kirkbride madness.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JT Jag posted:

The last two posts made me lose an hour of my life to the Elder Scrolls wiki, initially so I could find out what CHIM was but, you know... wikis. Can't just read one article.
Even then they mostly just blather along uselessly to avoid saying "yeah we made a lore reason for you, the player, to be unfairly awesome"

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
If you ACTUALLY want to know what CHIM is, and not have people spew a bunch of in-universe mystic bullshit at you (like you'll find at UESP), you could read this article.

Alternatively, I could just tell you: CHIM is realizing that you are a videogame character, and gaining access to powers beyond the fourth wall-- namely, the UI, the console commands, and most importantly, the TES Construction Kit (and with it, 3rd party mods, and presumably the Nexus). But the cool thing is that the Elder Scrolls takes the concept of breaking the fourth wall, and integrates it into the world; with mystics, scholars, and even NPC gods trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on outside the box when they themselves are inside the box. The result is a bunch of in game books that sound like something out of the Zohar in terms of confusing mysticism, but if you're in on the joke, it's pretty cool/amusing.

It's used to explain why player characters are so awesome, but the writers also have allowed a few NPCs to "access CHIM" as well, such as Vivec and Talos, who apparently use the game's modding tools in between games in order to make the changes required for the next "age", aka the next sequel.

People are saying that Katia has achieved partial CHIM already because she's making use of the game's UI-- her "Telekinesis" is not actually the telekinesis spell, but rather the in game "pick up" command.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 20, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One of the things I like about Elder Scrolls lore is that the details are often vague or incomplete and thus so many things are up for interpretation. It's a bit like real history, you can't just take everything you read in in-game books at face value, you have to consider the limitations and the biases of the author and that in itself helps color the event.

I know the real reason the lore is like this is so Bethesda can retcon anything they want at any time, but still.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Pakled posted:

One of the things I like about Elder Scrolls lore is that the details are often vague or incomplete and thus so many things are up for interpretation.

I remember reading a while back an interesting discussion about Vivec. He was granted godlike powers by the Heart of Lorkhan, and went on to become a god.

Then there's the sermon of vivec books which can be interpreted in two different ways :

1) The books are totally legit and serious, Vivec is simultaneously royalty and peasantry and has achieved CHIM and is all kinds of weird and hermaphroditic batshit insane and whatnot.

2) The books are bogus tripe and just Vivec's way of rewriting his personal history to make his life more important and exciting than just 'A poor boy who had a rich friend who helped him become ultra powerful'.

In-game there's nothing which proves or disproves either theory, unless you consider the fact that Vivec CAN be killed to be proof that he hasn't achieved CHIM.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

khy posted:

In-game there's nothing which proves or disproves either theory, unless you consider the fact that Vivec CAN be killed to be proof that he hasn't achieved CHIM.

Being killed is perfectly compatible with CHIM. After all, players die all the time when they play. Then they reload a save. If you want to look at it that way, the proof that the Vivec you meet in Morrowind doesn't have CHIM is not that you can kill him, it's that if you do that he doesn't respawn.

Note that the Sermons explicitly tells that the player has to kill Vivec.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cthulhuchan posted:

What? No, Katia has not achieved CHIM. You can't reach that state and not have the profound understanding that defines it.

You absolutely can. See: every single player who started a game but had absolutely no idea what the hell they were doing.

EDIT:

Cat Mattress posted:

Being killed is perfectly compatible with CHIM. After all, players die all the time when they play. Then they reload a save. If you want to look at it that way, the proof that the Vivec you meet in Morrowind doesn't have CHIM is not that you can kill him, it's that if you do that he doesn't respawn.

Note that the Sermons explicitly tells that the player has to kill Vivec.

That's not proof Vivec doesn't have CHIM at all. Players don't respawn, they reload and go back to before the death even happened. Presumably if a player dies and never saved or never reloads then that's it, as far as that game's story can be said the player died then and there. Perhaps Vivec had just gotten bored and decided not to reload a save.

That's assuming that reloading doesn't create a parallel timeline identical to the previous one but branching at the moment of saving.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 20, 2015

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

khy posted:

I don't think death has a lot to do with it. Vivec mentions that he's died plenty of times, it's just not a big deal for him. He describes himself as being simultaneously in the "real world" and the "god place", and when he dies he is only in the god place. He speculates that the older gods might just be dead all the time, but no matter how long he tries to stay dead himself, he always comes back to find no time has passed.

It's never outright explained why he doesn't come back when you kill him, but I'd say one possibility is that he finally just decides to stay dead. He makes it clear that he's grown apathetic toward the plight of mortals; he feels no sympathy for them, and only cares about defeating Dagoth Ur because "to lose would be very, very bitter". Even if you kill Vivec, he leaves you Wraithguard and his powerpoint presentation on how to defeat Dagoth Ur - there's no reason left for him to come back. It's as good a time as any to simply bail.

If you ascribe to the "CHIM is a metaphor for the editor tools" theory, this is presumably the point where Vivec finally quits Morrowind and dedicates all his time to shitposting on UESP.net.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Kazerad posted:

If you ascribe to the "CHIM is a metaphor for the editor tools" theory, this is presumably the point where Vivec finally quits Morrowind and dedicates all his time to shitposting on UESP.net.

Or fixing the genital bumpmapping for his Guar Breeding mod.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

got my pin :3:

Zenzirouj posted:

Or fixing the genital bumpmapping for his Guar Breeding mod.

if Vivec left for anything, it's this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Really just inviting someone to buy me a red title at this point.*

*Waste of your :10bux:, I will revert it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Got my badge. :) American stamps are neat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Got my badge. :) American stamps are neat.

Now I have to know: how are they different from whatever you have?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kazerad posted:

I don't think death has a lot to do with it. Vivec mentions that he's died plenty of times, it's just not a big deal for him. He describes himself as being simultaneously in the "real world" and the "god place", and when he dies he is only in the god place. He speculates that the older gods might just be dead all the time, but no matter how long he tries to stay dead himself, he always comes back to find no time has passed.

I can't decide if CHIM became more or less interesting as lore once I realized stuff like this was pretty explicitly talking about reloading saved games and other mechanics.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Now I have to know: how are they different from whatever you have?

They aren't really, they just have different pictures on, but it's nice to see what other nations put on stuff. In the UK it's usually it's just a profile head of the current monarch, but there's always special and commemorative stamps being made, because stamp designers have to do something to fill the day I guess.

One was of Lincoln, but one was a large round stamp with a heat map picture of the Earth on; which I've never seen before, so hey, neato. :)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You can take parts of CHIM as a clever(ish) reference to being in a video game, but I don't think it's really a 1:1 representation of 'what if Talos could go player.setperklevel 999999999999?'. My favourite part of TES lore is the batshit insane mysticism and I think boiling down transcendental love to har har it's the creation kit kind of ruins it.

It's one thing to have the association there with a cheeky wink at the audience, and another to make it the ultimate answer to the whole mythos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like to think of CHIM as the rest of the people in this world trying to understand the power of the player characters and creating this whole mythos around them and what they observe of their powers that's pretty much entirely inaccurate and made up because they can't just leap to 'videogame character'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 26, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah but from the view of characters in a video game, the player doesn't repeatedly die and retry things, just everything always goes right for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True, mostly. I do resurrect my dog a lot. And you, Farkas. Stop dying.

• Locked thread