Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This comic is way better than I was expecting. The early parts were kind of hard to read because it was more sad and familiar than sad and funny in a way.

That said, Asotil is literally the greatest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I'll admit, everything turned around at Countass' dinner. Just when you think Katia is about to fall even lower, Asotil busts in the most epic way possible.

Also, I love the answer, to his own question, "How do you think I became part of the Imperial Guard the most elite and selective fighting force in all of Cyrodill?"

"Drugs."

"Oh, and practice"

This is indeed the exact line that sold me on him. More than the other stuff anyway.

That and

"It rained last night, so he suspects he will have to redraw the horse’s angry eyebrows."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

EvilKosh posted:

I'm not sure what you win or what your definition of winning is, but good luck with that I guess? I'm just going to laugh at you, and that will be it.

I give this guy like maybe

Three popped collars out of five.

On the "Heh"ometer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

Huh. Kazerad showing up in the thread wasn't something I anticipated. Well, I guess I'll pull a flip-flop and post a little criticism that I didn't really feel the need to make an MSPA account for: I feel like we're not seeing enough of Katia's personality, specifically what she's like when she's drunk. Right now all we get are her taking a drink, a blackout, then her waking up. This is good for comedy purposes along the lines of "oh, look at this strange situation you've woken up in you little scamp!" But as a result, we basically only see her when she's a quivering neurotic mess trying to make up for mistakes we never saw. So our view of Katia is skewed heavily towards her sober side, in which she's nice and helpful but has a string of bad luck. But for Quill-Weave and other characters, the other half is when she's drunk and trashing a house. So when those characters react accordingly, the audience can't help but feel like Katia always deserves a second chance when maybe she actually doesn't. I think it's important to see her fail in a way that's not adorable and unintentional.

I dunno man then you go down the road of bashing on the alcoholic that's legitimately trying to change and I don't know. Chemical dependencies are a hell of a thing.

That just doesn't seem classy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Reiley posted:

Derivative work is by no means uncommon on the internet. What is uncommon, however, is people who deal and lean so heavily on fanwork rising to stand peer among other creators who built their readerships without putting someone else's sticker on their package. That you believe you'll be an exception using one party's visual style and another party's intellectual property to sell your story is certainly interesting , and I wish you the best of luck. However, I will strongly advise against telling people the reasons you're using fanwork to build an audience like you have in this tread, since your reasons provided all sound manipulative and ethically bankrupt.

If the terms manipulative and ethically bankrupt are terms you feel comfortable throwing around with something as trivial as "gauging audience areas of interest and how to engage them" then I...I think you might want to get out in the real world.

I literally guarantee people are doing poo poo that actually warrant those terms, you'd do well to have a better frame of reference.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ShineDog posted:

It's less the Oblivion stuff (Which is an affectionate parody* and I can't hate it) and more the MSPA stuff that gets me, I mean, obviously this is far less obtuse than MSPA and has a palette that I can actually look at, but theres a lot of structural aping in a way that isn't satirical, and doesn't really add anything, it's just the same because, I assume, of the aforementioned desire to attract a crowd.

Having said that.

It looks quite cute, and by being a bit less out there than MSPA I think he's created something, to be honest, better. I don't know if I would read this, I would certainly read it over MSPA.

*It's also a very mild parody, occasionally it touches on Oblivion things but.. not too often. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, it does mean it doesn't really add anything though. Does the Oblivion aspect really pull readers? Seems like your readership would be far more of an MSPA lot.

Well, I think the Oblivion aspect isn't too minor

All signs thus far point to Katia being the main character from Oblivion. She dreams non-stop of what seems to be a caricature of the Emperor, the Dragon Amulet is a pretty dead giveaway (think that's what it's called anyway).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dolash posted:

Update

Surprise! Gro-Upp got his hands on the letter! Wait that is not a surprise. There is nothing those abs don't hide.

Someone wasn't reading closely enough, the book was packed between his herculean glutes. :colbert:

Totally different.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well that's one way to remind the audience that Gro-Upp is not a likeable character. At all. He's a whimsical murderer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Gro-Upp IS the hero of Oblivion. He's a genre-savvy sociopath who has nearly everyhing conveniently worked out for him in advance and a built-in reason for being tossed into prison in the near future. It is little wonder that Katia is powerless to inconvenience him, let alone stop him.

No. Katia is the hero of Oblivion, that's been made fairly clear by her dreams of Emperor Uriel and the amulet.

Gro-Upp is just a parody of a player character's typical behavioral patterns.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Surely no one else can possibly have dreams of the emperor and the amulet. Good thinking, Lou.

If you wouldn't classify these dreams, their consistency, and their content as unusual I don't know what to tell you! And the name of the comic.

Volmarias posted:

Seriously. He's not dead, he's just going to get necromanced back to life.

Elder Scrolls necromancy does not work that way so probably not. Sadly. :(

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 7, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Magic doesn't work by making epic cat burns either. I'm expecting artistic license.

That's an issue of motivation to do magic, not the actual source of the magic. Katia's magic is wholly standard and within the realms of normal Elder Scrolls bullshit.

So don't hold your breath on the Dmitri thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Raserys posted:

Asotil will die horribly at some point. His existence improves Katia's life, and that cannot be.

Asotil's existence improves the Elder Scrolls universe :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MrBims posted:

Have you now seen how much easier it was to write in the active voice?

"From the makers of MS Paint Adventures, follow/contribute to the story of a Khajiit trying to make it in the world."

Homestuck is just the warmup for Prequel.

Someone might want to inform them this is not a true thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Clanfear's "uhhhhhh" expression is just the best.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

It was nice of Stephane to get Sigrid to prepare magic dipping sauce for Katia, even though he appears to regard her as something he has to scuff off his shoe.

He sure is packing those breadsticks away.

That's because real breadsticks are so good they're almost magical.

Can you imagine ACTUALLY magical breadsticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nothing could be more inspiring than a one man extinction event. :allears:

• Locked thread