Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Worst Unicorn posted:

It just seemed really unrelated as far as fan work goes, to me. But it also seems like he's quite okay with all that. :)

It's not even fan work of Hussie's material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spellman posted:

While Andrew Hussie is the reigning champ of forum based Paint adventures, it is a format that can be adopted for anybody's story. A lot of people do quests like these casually on various forums unrelated to mspaintadventures.com, but Prequel just happens to be of a higher quality than most adventures.

Hussie is also a friend of Epicsplosion (made by the guy who did the Strife! album artwork) which is a pretty cool adventure too. It's formatted like Bard Quest, except it's actually succeeding at its goal.

Hell there are even entire sites dedicated to choose your own adventure quests.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AriadneThread posted:

I really like the focus on overcoming personal flaws as opposed to some overarching epic or even social drama. It's refreshing compared to what I'm used to seeing out of webcomics.
It's also really nice to see more competent takes at the text-adventure format. Andrew Hussie may be the most popular user of the form (and for good reason) but he didn't invent it and it's nice to see someone else come out from that shadow he's cast and do something a bit more original then just another mspa fan adventure.

There are tons of competent text-adventure typed THINGS out there, Ruby Quest being one of the prime examples of such.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oxxidation posted:

Katia is probably the main character of Oblivion before the events of the game itself (hence the title). The nightmares have something to do with that, apparently, I dunno, I never played the game.

Katia is an actual NPC in Oblivion.

It's called Prequel because it's a prequel to Oblivion as a whole based off of the surroundings of Katia's life.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenzirouj posted:

It was one of the primary goals when Valve was designing TF2, too. They wanted classes to be instantly identifiable on silhouette alone.

Oh how I remember those days.

Where did it all go wrong

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Soonmot posted:

Ffffffffffffffuck. Maybe Dimitri still has enough life left in him to chug a healing potion or something.

Uhh yeah, I don't think a healing potion would save that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gabriel Pope posted:

A lot of forums have rules like this. Doesn't it have something to do with giant threads making GBS threads up performance for common forum software like vBulletin? That's the justification I usually see, anyhow.

It's funny because they've realized that's no longer the case but they close anyways for tradition's sake.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Haledjian posted:

I'm gonna count it as a victory if she just doesn't fall in the well.

So basically she's going to fall in the well.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

IronSaber posted:

Why can't we just console kill the slaughterfish?

~
click the fish
>kill

Done deal.

I thought it was established that Katia wasn't CHIM

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Perestroika posted:

So that she can drown in boiling water instead? :v:

I guess the fish-issue needs to be postponed until Katia gets to the mages guild (which will be totally normal and not at all controlled by crazy necromancers) and learns some lightning spells.

Only if said lightning spells cause her fur to stand on edge.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

IronSaber posted:

Wow, first Homestuck, then Ruby Quest, and now Prequel getting its own fan music.

Wait, Ruby Quest has fan music? How did this happen?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Kaz, did you ever read the old Boxdog threads by Weaver (and I guess the comic? I never read the webcomic that comes up whenever you google Boxdog and honestly don't know whether Weaver did that too)?

Like Prequel, it featured a down-on-her-luck female protagonist with few skills, none of which are particularly profitable. However, it's significantly more depressing. This might be part of the reason why I've never really felt like Katia has ever really had it that bad.

Related to that, I recall you being asked this at some point but I forgot the answer, have you read anything by Weaver? Like, Ruby Quest or something?

When Kazerad got fanart from Weaver on the MSPA thread, he said that he was his inspiration.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Normal Adult Human posted:

Ruby quest had nothing to do with mspa.

Also Ruby Quest wasn't hosed up in the sense that the main character continuously gets hosed over by circumstance. Also you should read it it's really good.

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure radintorov is actually referring to Ruby Quest, but the author said that it was heavily influenced by Problem Sleuth, at least in the way readers submitting suggestions in a text adventure format.

But Problem Sleuth was never depressing or hosed up in that sense.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Robo Pope posted:

Joke's on Sigrid anyways. If that was Telvanni Bug Musk, which the bottle looks a lot like, she just used a 100g potion to scam 22g and a pile of random junk. And if Katia took off her Silence Amulet then someone will make a suggestion containing a bunch of cat puns and Katia will either burn down the guild or set the Clanfear on fire.

This is how Kvatch burns down

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Starting to update faster again I noticed.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I heard that Kazerad was on some podcast or something earlier today. Anyone hear that?

Apparently on Wednesday it will be posted here:
http://www.webcastbeacon.com/category/webcomic-beacon/

oh yeah, this thing happened
http://www.webcastbeacon.com/webcomic-227/

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This:

quote:

You are going to die in a fire.
is the funniest thing ever.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

There was a joke a while back that she had long hair but there was an incident where she was rendered completely bald and her hair is only just growing back.

Well now we know what this character arc is going to be about.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Now I'm daring you to top this. :colbert:

(no but seriously holy poo poo)

Next dream sequence interacts with our computer processes themselves.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You can also just type "java script:omgwtfishappening();" in the address bar instead.

I don't get it, what exactly does this do?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Maybe alter this update a bit so that when you scroll all the way down and your screen doesn't cover the text up top, I don't know, something like orange flares rise up on the top of your screen towards the text or something.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kazerad posted:

If I recall right he had Quill-Weave called Tail-Write in it, which means he might have actually been replagurizing it from the guy who was copying it and changing all the names. That only makes it even stranger.

Oh my god, I wish I'd known about this kind of stuff going on before they got deleted. It sounds absolutely hilarious.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Katia: Continue practice

That's right Katia, baby steps. You're making progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

New update, and the return of that guy

• Locked thread