Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I recommend that she learn boxing against mudcrabs, the same way I did. Just slap the drat things until you get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Android Blues posted:

Kvatch doesn't burn down until you get a little ways through the plot in Oblivion. It's still intact at the start of the game and iirc you can even go there.

Really? I thought that you're prevented from that somehow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenzirouj posted:

I dunno, I think those clothes off moments were more about comedy than sexuality. And even if he was going for innuendo it's kind of a big leap to go from there to lesbian interspecies sex. Either way I got the feeling that he set those situations up just so that he could go "haha psych she's not at all interested in other girls."

- Webcomic on internet about some dude comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the dude's male friend is gay. Audience response: "Oh, uh, well, good luck with that."

- Webcomic on internet about some lady comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the lady's female friend is gay. Audience response: "gently caress HER IN THE EAR AND DRAW GRAPHIC PICTURES"

I don't think the issue is with the author. I think the issue is with the readership.

Re the virgin thing, I think he's implying that alcohol turned her life down a pretty lovely path and she would probably be looking for a soulmate instead of a one night stand at this point. I don't think it's implying that she's either chaste or she's a slut.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 1, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Haledjian posted:

Oh yeah I'm not saying some of those guys aren't awful. I do think the author is leading them on a little more than he admits though. eg "Can I stay at your house?" "Well okay but we will have to sleep together because there is one bed and for some reason you can't sleep on the floor. Also I normally sleep in my underwear, which I will do again now even though you are sleeping in the bed next to me and for some reason I can't make an exception." "Ok!" "PS I'm gay" :stare:

Floor is cold, whatsherface doesn't want to kick out katja but knows that staying in the same bed will be awkward, tries to get her to just GO without being a jerk.

Kind of like if a hot mess of a hot girl wants to spend the night with you, and you have one bed. And no floor. And god you hope you don't get a boner because that would just lead her on and you really don't want that.

Honestly, none of these motives don't make sense, although some are a bit contrived for humorous purposes.

OTOH we're seriously analyzing the motives of a loving webcomic pandering to the worst of internet nerds.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

My Little Portal, My Little Portal
A-ahhh-ahhh-ahhhhhh

I used to wonder what Portals could be
Until you shared their magic with me

Testing Chambers, turret guns
Companion cubes with hearts drawn on
Physics puzzles, they're no easy feat
And gratuitous cake references make it all complete

You have My Little Portals...
Did anyone tell you the cake is a lie?

Not in the last 5 minutes, no.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EvilKosh posted:

Is this directed at me? Or is it directed at the author of this comic who compares himself to Hemingway?

Edit: Nevermind

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

RandomFerret posted:

You should follow her around a bit. All the NPCs have their own routines, remember.

Twice a week she really does attend the Countess' dinner party, and once a month she wakes up early and starts on a two-day walk to Chorral, where she meets up with her special friend and they spend the week together. They sleep in the same bed.

So this is actually cannon? :stare:

Good god, who actually figured that out without using the level editor? Who would even notice?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

No. Katia is the hero of Oblivion, that's been made fairly clear by her dreams of Emperor Uriel and the amulet.

Gro-Upp is just a parody of a player character's typical behavioral patterns.

Surely no one else can possibly have dreams of the emperor and the amulet. Good thinking, Lou.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

He's a necromancer though.

Which means SHENANNIGANS to do with death.

Seriously. He's not dead, he's just going to get necromanced back to life.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Elder Scrolls necromancy does not work that way so probably not. Sadly. :(

Magic doesn't work by making epic cat burns either. I'm expecting artistic license.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenzirouj posted:

Speaking of class mobility, Elder Scrolls games are pretty the ultimate Libertarian wetdream. You start off penniless and are possibly an ex-con but you become a lightning-spitting kill machine able to buy and sell entire communities just by working your way up and bootstraps. Good thing the Imperial government doesn't stifle the economy by overregulating the guilds.

Amusingly, the ability to save/restore means that you'd probably take more risks than you would otherwise, because there's no real downside past going back to your last save, thus skewing the risk/reward matrix.

It's a libertarian wet dream because if someone sells you a poisoned potion you can just go back 5 minutes, making silly things like the FDA unnecessary. OBAMMMAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! :911:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Young Freud posted:

So is this supposed to end with Katja staring at the shopkeeper or is there something else I'm not considering?

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. It's got this strange professor layton music, I was wondering if there's a puzzle in a pixel somewhere.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ArfJason posted:

A tit bounce animation and a pole dancing minigame.
I really like Prequel and don't mind these, but I can't shake the feeling there's someone out there furiously masturbating to this.

Someone would be even if there weren't. Rule 34 my friend.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Opposing Farce posted:

If you're running NoScript or something similar you might have just forgotten to allow scripts.

Not running scripts wouldn't magically make a flash plugin appear, I'd assume. If there's an HTML5 or AJAX fallback that would really be better as the standard instead of flash.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pakled posted:

My understanding of Copyright law is kinda murky, but would that even be feasible without getting into trouble with Bethesda?

Without expensive lawyers to argue that he's really 'Hooded cultist man' with no ties to any Bethesda IP no, probably not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

Update.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Are we going to find out if Katia has CHIM or something similar?

The hell is CHIM?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I don't know if you're serious, but no, that's not it at all. It's an Elder Scrolls thing.

:stare:

Dude is channeling timecube or something

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So, maybe I'm mis-remembering, but has there actually been a character that Katia has met where both Katia and that character wanted some sort of relationship? Because I'm pretty sure that there isn't, but you're all making arguments that sex is presented negatively because Katia feels negatively about loving everything that moves when she's sober (blackout drunk is a different story).

It seems an awful lot like you're setting the character up to fail. Glare at the suggestion that Katia gently caress <character she just met> or stick a Pinapple up her vagina? CLEARLY A PRUDE.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Haledjian posted:

I feel like you haven't really reading the posts. Nobody has called Katia a "prude." This has nothing to do with prudishness. Nobody is demanding that the character have sex (I mean honestly I wish that stuff wasn't featured so prominently because it makes me feel weird about recommending it to friends). They are saying that the comic's treatment of her when she DOES is problematic.

If her rationale was explicitly (or even implicitly) "I'm not gonna have sex with people because I don't want to, and I have much more important things to focus on right now" that would be fine, and I don't think the story would suffer. But instead her rationale is "I need to stop being such a whore." The former would actually serve the narrative BETTER, I think, because it's in keeping with the theme of self-actualization and getting what one wants out of life. The latter is something she's doing for other people, to try and keep them from using bigoted slurs on her. It's hella different!

P.S. I think the CHIM discussion is really boring, but you guys are welcome to have it!

The main character almost completely lacks self confidence and considers herself a punching bag, and part of the plot progressing is her making herself overcome that.

I mean, yes, I understand where you're coming from, but it seems (at least to me) that the main character is basically doing this to herself because she has issues with her own sexuality, which aren't helped by the fact that every time she drinks she ends up blacking out and doing things that she regrets. If you yoyo-d a pinapple with a part of your body when you got blackout drunk and you just happened to be an alcoholic who gets blackout drunk with just a sip, you might get a complex too. And then the people who are supposed to be advising and helping her tell her to blow some dude?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 24, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

IronSaber posted:

Man, looks like Kvatch was a regular magnet for death.

(new update, fyi)

Man, people really don't have good solutions to slaughterfish infestations do they.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Good job on staving off the weirdos saying all the "don't worry about what people say" stuff. That's usually codeword for "I don't care what you think, gimme fap material".

Yes, exactly this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kazerad posted:

Yeah, it has its good moments, and now isn't really one of them. I think there's just one person who keeps veering it off-topic; I'm gonna go see if I can get a moderator to take care of that or something.

Please don't hesitate to get the creepers banned.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

IronSaber posted:

It's not hard to create an MSPA forum account and post there, you know. That's what I did. :shobon:

Even if my suggestions get drowned out by the other lunatics...

Yeah but :effort:

Also, I don't want to wade into the MSPA forums. Yuck.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Did you guys notice there was another update

I did now!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Have two characters perform a fist-bump while having a grand time, and call it "gay fisting." Then, when people search for "gay fisting" they will get that scene.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kurui Reiten posted:

I know this is all going to end up loving Katia over in the end; it's sort of the entire idea of the comic. Despite that, though, it would be nice for her to get a friend beyond Quillweave. ASOTIL doesn't quite count, since it's pretty obvious he's, at the very least, insane enough to chase her if he decides she violated the law. Gro-Upp is pretty much being set up to foil Katia endlessly, so that's always looming. This Sigrid thing doesn't sound like it's going to end nicely.

I'd actually like PNHF to travel with Katia a bit, since she actually does seem like a relatively interesting character. Katia having someone to bounce off of helps a lot in my eyes, since it keeps the constant stream of "KATIA YOU ARE BEST PERSON EVER DON'T WORRY THAT YOUR ACTIONS INADVERTENTLY KILLED AN ENTIRE VILLAGE THE INTERNET BELIEVES IN YOU" away, or at least focused more on things for her to do than constant pep talks.

That and the update schedule is really slow for this part of the story, it seems, but that's what you work with I suppose.

ASOTIL is a rules lawyer. If Katya is on the wrong side of the law, I think he'll figure out a PERFECTLY LEGAL way to mitigate her troubles, if he wants to help her out.

I'm fully expecting Katya to be stuck in the well but otherwise unharmed, and strike a deal with our perfectly normal friend wherein she gets out of the well in exchange for some hot jelly lickin action.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Normal Adult Human posted:

People were always saying that you'd know how prequel had to end if you'd played oblivion for more than five minutes, and they were right. It ended by randomly crashing.

Zing!

On my end, I understand that the self-abuse end of her personality is one of the character flaws that she's trying to overcome.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

You know, something else I've been thinking about. Katia approaches life like an addict. Which shouldn't really be surprising.

See, a lot of people who are addicts (or even people who are stuck in other kinds of lovely situations), think that there's some magical point at which they can stop being addicted if they do the right things. Like, one day they will wake up and not want alcohol or heroin or whatever and everything will be right with the world. And the fact that that day never comes just means they aren't doing it right. Katia does that, too, only with her whole life. She keeps on saying "hey, THIS time everything is going to be awesome, forever", because one big event is obviously going to change everything and once things are awesome they will just stay awesome.

In real life, the only people who get out of their addictions are people who realize that they will have to deal with them every day, for the rest of their lives. I wonder if this character will realize the same thing about her life?

So she's addicted to failure? I'm not sure I understand. She's obviously got a drinking problems but I think there's more to her than that...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Piedmon Sama posted:

Anybody else suspicious why a vampire would be grocery shopping? She had a whole bag, not just the jelly for her ploy.

I bet she was buying them for someone else~

Are you suggesting that vampires do not need or even want to buy things? That once you consume only human blood, the nature of your consumerism is irrevocably changed?

You can't suck clothes, Piedmon Sama. You can't suck furniture.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This panel made me grin. I love that she can't help but set things on fire.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I actually laughed out loud at the full size image of the Diversity Mural. Holy poo poo...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Don't be ridiculous, Sigrid is a perfectly normal adult human. Why would she eat someone?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Say, where IS Martin?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wait a minute...

Where is Steve?

Where is Martin?

Where is STEVE MARTIN?

Is this story going where I think it is?!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Adventures of Carrie Morgania

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The braids are adorable, but I don't really understand how that's happening. I just kind of assumed that the fur stops growing after a point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bat Ham posted:

:stare: New update, and you've got to tell me how you pulled off that stair effect.

If you look at the page source, you can see the link to the jquery script he used. The position of each stair is just a function of how far down you've scrolled.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This is goddamned astounding.

I only ever got one message when I scrolled back, however, I'm not sure if that's broken in chrome or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Man, I feel stupid because I just like a comic about a down-on-her-luck lady just tryin' to do her best. I didn't know that I had to have a triple PhD in entertainment ethics.

Yeah, I don't know when we ended up in the book barn or what.

prequeladventure.com posted:

8/22/12: next update is still coming, it’s just turning out to be more complicated than I planned

:ohdear:

• Locked thread