Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm a 30 year old man and I can't exactly say I hate kids, but I have a strong dislike for them, and have no desire whatsoever to have any of my own.

When I was younger, I kinda wanted them because that's what society tells me I need to do, but as I got older, I realized that they were a huge burden financially and socially, and really didn't want any. Kids just creep me out, the "breeders" love to tell me that it'll change when I have my own, but no thank you, I'd rather not even try!

It really got solidified when I worked in a resturaunt, and saw parents bringing their horrid litter of children in, completely unruly, making huge messes (that I would have to clean up), and being loud and obnoxious It really made me thankful that my parents never brought us out to eat until we were old enough to read, comprehend, and order off the "adult menus." For every good, well behaved kid, there were at least 5 terrible ones.

EDIT:

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I never said they didn't have good reasons not to have children, it just makes me scared for the future because I know people my age who couldn't make mud if you gave them a pile of dirt and a bucket of water, and they're on kid three or four already.

I know I'm about to make a sweeping generalization, but in my experience, these type of people tend not to have kids because they really want them, but because they had a pretty lovely (to them) life, and want something that loves them unconditionally, and don't exactly take into account the ramifications of having children. These also tend to be the kind of people who get a puppy and dump it at the pound a week later because they don't bother training it and it still shits all over the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Intergalactik posted:

That is fine, and normal too. However, it is pretty weird to HATE animals. Like, if I got pissy when I saw someone walking their dog. Or if I hated the way my friends share pictures of their loving cats on Facebook, like their black cat looks any different, or acts any different, from every other black cat on Earth.

Eh, for me it kinda reminds me of The Hamptons episode of Seinfeld

Seinfeld posted:

Carol: Is she gorgeous? (Elaine + Jerry looking away)

Elaine: Oh, gorgeous, yes.

Jerry: So very gorgeous.

Seinfeld posted:

Jerry: Is it me or was that the ugliest baby you have ever seen?

Elaine: Uh, I couldn't look. It was like the Pekinese.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gabusan posted:

Bullshit

This is loving bullshit!

I went to tech school with a guy in his 50's who had been married to his wife for around 30 years, and neither of them had kids nor wanted them, and they were as happy as can be.

I personally have loyalty to a fault, and I don't want kids. If I'm compatable with someone, I sure as hell am not going to leave them for someone younger just because I don't want to shoot my genetic material into her and make little Iron Crowneds (besides, I'm hosed up enough as is, who would want that?)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sally Slug posted:

Hahahah you actually think a doctor would let a 23 year old woman get her tubes tied? That's precious.

Not to mention, I think the majority of states won't even let you get your tubes tied until you've had at least two children.

Thenipwax posted:

Why is everybody missing his entire point? He didn't say that couples that didn't want children will end in divorce. He said that men that want kids that are married to women that DON'T want kids will eventually have their desire to have children win out, and they will look for a mate elsewhere.

It seems like common loving sense to me that if one partner wants kids and the other doesn't, things are doomed in the long run.

That makes sense with that interpretation. I was interpreting it as he was saying that if a man doesn't want kids, he's just going to trade you in for a younger model when he gets tired of you because he has nothing tying you to him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fruity Tree posted:

It just gets awkward when everyone wants to hold that cute new baby and have it drool all over their breasts and I just stand there, hoping that noone will offer me that I could hold it.

I hate when people bring their babies around. I'm expected to look at them and fawn over them, when they make me really uncomfortable. I try to make myself as scarce as possible when someone brings their baby around.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

StrangersInTheNight posted:

EDIT: Also children can't help what they are so it's pretty strangely bigoted to hate them for it. I'm not huge on kids myself - I have trouble talking to them, always have even when I was a kid myself - but I don't hate them for simply being what they are.

Cats, dogs, squirrels, rats, spiders, snakes, everything in the ocean, can't help what they are, so it seems pretty strangely bigoted to hate them for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

demozthenes posted:

I lived under these parents for a year; their baby would scream for hours and hours on end. When you can hear every footstep from the apartment above you, you catch on quick that either nobody is home or they are just allowing their baby to scream horribly for 6-8 hours at a time, every night. Is this biologically hardwired, too?

I was on an 8 hour flight from Atlanta to Manchester with people who did that. Kid didn't shut up the whole time and the parents just ignored it. The only time the kid was ever quiet was when the Flight Attendant talked to him.