Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Probably fitting give the theme of the game that, when I started it up, my antivirus flagged the game's .EXE as malware :psyduck: The only game on Steam I've ever had that happen.

It was worth a chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

What are the missions like?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Any disadvantages to picking the 'superhuman' gene three times and just rerolling until the negatives all go to some trait you don't give a crap about?

Algo.
Oct 3, 2009
This game is weird as hell.

If anyone knows how to completely stop the game from blurring when sprinting and so on (motion blur is set to off) and if there's a way to script in a non-toggle aim down sights, id love it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The below are all guesses

Extra-high ROF?

Full-auto

Dual-wieldable with melee weapon?

Armor piercing

Area-of-effect (explosive)

UselessLurker posted:

Any disadvantages to picking the 'superhuman' gene three times and just rerolling until the negatives all go to some trait you don't give a crap about?

I restared with 3 x metastreum, and I seem to be levelling considerably slower. I don't know if it's connected.

Is there any way to get extra hardpoints to carry weapons on? Currently I can only carry one weapon larger than a machine pistol (plus enough ammo to supply a small army).

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 30, 2011

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Well as hard as it is to follow so far (running around after getting to the temple for the first time) this game is somehow incredibly immersive.

I don't understand why it keeps telling me I've killed my Mentor when I just saw the dude and he looked perfectly healthy though...

Edit: I also just discovered the hard way that it is not alt-tab friendly on my system. Has anyone figured out what the save mechanic is? I couldn't find any save options so I'm assuming it's something waypoint based? A little irritating if it crashes on alt-tab :|

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I spent about an hour with this game this morning. I'm still not sure why I do, but I love it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

So I got to level 12 before noticing you can increase your stats (I don't know why I assumed you couldn't), so far I'm just pumping Psi and Accuracy.

The Psi powers seem pretty expensive though.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone have some tips for a stealthy, CQC magic user? I've been using a sniper rifle but it's about as boring as it is in any game.

Also, didn't I read something about being able to have a melee weapon and pistol at the same time? I wanna hook that up

e:v Thanks

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 30, 2011

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Majestic posted:

I don't understand why it keeps telling me I've killed my Mentor when I just saw the dude and he looked perfectly healthy though...

Maybe he's as death resistant as you are.
My metastreum superman started with an accuracy of 60, along with good strength and endurance. It's completely murderous. My Psi strength really really sucks though.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Also, didn't I read something about being able to have a melee weapon and pistol at the same time? I wanna hook that up

Get the Damocles sword and the dual pistols from an armory, then mousewheel until you're holding one sword and one pistol. Can't be done with a single pistol, for some reason.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 30, 2011

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man, hacking is kicking my rear end. Is there any trick to it besides raising stats? Some enemies/computers have really slow bar fills which I asssssume means they have less skill? I've died like four times from hacking, haha.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Musluk posted:

I saw mention of Deus Ex in the steam thread, then I saw this. Instant buy. I don't know what the gently caress is going on and I love it.

The best part is that the Deus Ex is basically a cyberdemon with the serial filed off, so it's this hodgepodge of videogame references. It's enormous, has horns and hooves, fires rockets, the whole kaboodle (with additional miniguns to gently caress you over). It's not even a final boss, they can pop up in secondary missions fairly early in the campaign.

Unrelated: I can't decide if I like the Betty Boom or the machine-pistol more as a sidearm. Betty can launch humans about a city-block away if you aim it right, while the machine-pistol holds a hundred rounds and instead of having "semi-auto" and "full auto" firing modes it has "full-auto" and "super-uncontrollably-auto".

edit: ^^^ Hacking really depends on reacting to the enemy's viruses and balancing buffing your stats and lowering the opponents'. I find lowering their attack with Mask works, as the AI will usually go for Overflow which'll buff their offense and drain their defense (the AI doesn't really use Shield often in my experience, for some reason). Use Shield and Overflow to keep your stats up, and Attack when you can once their defense hits zero. Use Analyze only if the AI is really defense oriented.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 30, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Maybe he's as death resistant as you are.

This actually comes up in the story a bit later.

(Actual spoiler)
Someone mentions that you've been talking to yourself a bit lately, and that your mentor has been dead for some time... yeah.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are there any plans for a demo anytime soon?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

YYZ posted:

What are the missions like?

Your mission is to recover this object. In order to reach the area where the object is, you must access an elevator. To do that, you can either hack it's terminal (with or without killing the guards at the terminal first), or use comm relays located at another part of the map to accomplish this. Oh and on your way there, could you take out this Looter Kingpin who has been causing a neutral third party some issues? Ok cool.

Alright, so you got to the elevator. Now we need you to go get the object, which is being sold from one faction to another. Between you and the object are an army of hostile police forces. Oh, you can also go talk to a sex slave trader who (if you can convince him) will run interference for you as long as you do something for him later.

Oh, you got the object? Awesome...you're almost halfway done with the first mission...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

NovaPolice posted:

Unrelated: I can't decide if I like the Betty Boom or the machine-pistol more as a sidearm. Betty can launch humans about a city-block away if you aim it right, while the machine-pistol holds a hundred rounds and instead of having "semi-auto" and "full auto" firing modes it has "full-auto" and "super-uncontrollably-auto".

Nothing in this game quite :aaa:'d me the way the machine pistol did when I swear I heard minigun mechanics inside it during "Super Full Auto"

Also, I might end up changing my loadout soon. I had the heavy assault rifle, the machine pistol, and the betty boom. But I really like the 32-round drum-magazine shotgun, so I might end up switching the Betty Boom for the non-dual-wielding pistol you start out with. Hopefully it'll do good for mid/long range combat :(

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently I am in an easily swayed buying mood this weekend. VTM:B was on sale, and I grabbed that since my disc copy has a defective disc 1 and installing it has always been a colossal pain in the rear end. Getting that put me in such a good mood that I grabbed this one too because it looks interesting and you bastards keep talking it up in what is probably just an elaborate ploy to get me to spend my ill-gotten cash.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

The Lone Badger posted:

Get the Damocles sword and the dual pistols from an armory, then mousewheel until you're holding one sword and one pistol. Can't be done with a single pistol, for some reason.

Speaking of the mousewheel weaponswitch, anyone manage to get the number keys working to quickswitch? Despite how it shows on the ingame config, I can only seem to switch weapons through mousewheel scrolling.

Also, the hacking reminds me in some ways of Uplink, which is a great thing. You've got a suite of programs that you can use to do dastardly things to your target (and yourself too!), while you're pressured by the target hacking/tracing you at the same time. The trailer doesn't show it off well at all.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

The EYE universe is so odd .. I must have spent an hour reading all the texts in the library and talking to every character. Yet I still don't know what exactly is going on here :psyduck:

Besides all that (or perhaps because of that?) I find very entertaining in its oddness.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Anyone interested in a four pack?
I cannot buy unfortunately.
edit

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 6, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What the hell, I'm in. But I'm some drat dirty European, so someone else should probably buy the 4-pack.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Factory posted:

Anyone interested in a four pack?
I cannot buy unfortunately.
https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/milkbeard

Well, there's me and another guy from the Steam thread, so that leaves one spot who would also have to do the actual transaction, since the three of us seem to be Euro goons.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

The EYE universe is so odd .. I must have spent an hour reading all the texts in the library and talking to every character. Yet I still don't know what exactly is going on here :psyduck:
I've only had time to play a little, but it reminds me of Messiah more than anything. It feels like you could transplant Messiah levels straight into EYE without anyone noticing.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Morter posted:

Nothing in this game quite :aaa:'d me the way the machine pistol did when I swear I heard minigun mechanics inside it during "Super Full Auto"

Also, I might end up changing my loadout soon. I had the heavy assault rifle, the machine pistol, and the betty boom. But I really like the 32-round drum-magazine shotgun, so I might end up switching the Betty Boom for the non-dual-wielding pistol you start out with. Hopefully it'll do good for mid/long range combat :(

According to the very hilarious weapon background page on the official website, it actually is a rotary, three barreled pistol. The noise in high-speed mode are the barrels rotating fast enough to damage the gun.

The Black Crow (the big starter pistol) is kind of the all rounder handgun, stronger and more accurate than the dual 45s but faster firing and with greater capacity than the revolvers. It's good at mid-range, but the 222 and 444 revolver are better long-range sidearms. The combat shotgun itself is actually quite powerful at a distance, so you aren't completely screwed in mid-range with it.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I need Steam Ids people.

1.Arkwarker
2.Factory
3.???
4.???

Hit me up here

I can purchase

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Would anyone be down for a 4 pack around the 5th?

I don't have the cash for it now, but thats when I get paid, so trying to see if anyone else is in the same boat as I am, so I can find 3 other people before the whole 4 pack craze dies off.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Arwarker posted:

Well, there's me and another guy from the Steam thread, so that leaves one spot who would also have to do the actual transaction, since the three of us seem to be Euro goons.

I'll go in on it
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Wenli

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Factory posted:

I need Steam Ids people.

1.Arkwarker
2.Factory
3.Ymgve
4.???

Hit me up here

I can purchase

http://steamcommunity.com/id/threedotonefour

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

e: Got it

YYZ fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 30, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't had much luck getting an answer to this in the Steam thread, but is there a way to adjust the game's brightness? I'm playing in windowed mode and the option for it in the menu is oranged out, if that helps.

I get its supposed to be dark in places but the tutorial videos you watch in-game make it a lot brighter than it looks while wandering around.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

:argh: Keep getting passed over. http://steamcommunity.com/id/FlyingMilton

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So if you want to get some long research done and don't want to use a lot of money, go do it in the HQ, do the research with minimal cost, and just alt-tab out or something, it seems to keep going even if you're not on a real mission.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

iastudent posted:

I haven't had much luck getting an answer to this in the Steam thread, but is there a way to adjust the game's brightness? I'm playing in windowed mode and the option for it in the menu is oranged out, if that helps.

I get its supposed to be dark in places but the tutorial videos you watch in-game make it a lot brighter than it looks while wandering around.

You can't adjust brightness in windowed mode - it's always the same as your desktop brightness.

You'll have to play in fullscreen mode to access the brightness-option.

The found that the default brightness is way too low- I had to move the slider all the way to the left to get a good image.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I just bought it, hopefully it goes well.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
How the hell do you use stealth? Enemies see me from across the level and I want to play a stealth hacker type.

Speaking of which I have 67 hack skill and hacking still takes me 5 minutes or so. Any tips on hacking or is it supposed to take forever?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
-withdrawn, solution found-

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 30, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I saw a livestream where the player was down in a basement or a sewer or something and melee enemies basically streamed towards him incessantly. The game trailers however feature gunplay and more open areas, which I like much more. Is there a lot of dark-corridor shooting or did I just happen to catch that stream at a "bad" time?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Red Mundus posted:

How the hell do you use stealth? Enemies see me from across the level and I want to play a stealth hacker type.

Do you have the stealth cloak implant from the medical vendor at the HQ? I think that's practically invisibility that drains your energy.

quote:

Speaking of which I have 67 hack skill and hacking still takes me 5 minutes or so. Any tips on hacking or is it supposed to take forever?

I usually do mask (or whatever its called) to lower their attack rating, because the only way for them to raise it is overload, which lowers their defense. So they will be lowering their own defense while I lower their attack value. Then I switch over to overload or attack and it rarely takes me more than 30 seconds to hack something with 40 skill.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
I got this yesterday after seeing the gameplay video on the game's website. I'm on the second mission, in New Eden and the game keeps crashing just as I go to find the informant in Tetsuo's Bar. Anyone else had this problem? I've had several other issues, but I figure they're just related to the steam engine.

Not sure this was worth the £13 I spent on it, but at least it's fun gibbing people with the anti-tank rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I saw a livestream where the player was down in a basement or a sewer or something and melee enemies basically streamed towards him incessantly. The game trailers however feature gunplay and more open areas, which I like much more. Is there a lot of dark-corridor shooting or did I just happen to catch that stream at a "bad" time?

It depends on the level. Some areas are huge urban sprawls with squads of soldiers and snipers, others are depths-of-the-earth complexes filled with fangly alien type thingies.

Also, there's seperate difficulty sliders for enemy toughness (actually affects the tiers of enemies you see) and enemy spawn rates, too.

• Locked thread