Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Steam store link.

quote:

After an unending war with the metastreumonic Force, the powerful organization Secreta Secretorum you belong to is finally ready to undermine the head-strong federation, despite an intense struggle for power.

The character the player embodies wakes up in a strange cave under the New Eden megalopolis after a fight and saw his fellow teammates die. He still remembers he's a member of the weird secret society E.Y.E, itself an armed branch of the Secreta Sectretorum. This last one will attempt a coup against the all-powerful Federation, a coalition of several worlds and planets ruling with an iron fist.

He quickly learns that his own organization, E.Y.E, is plagued with internal conflicts, between the Jian faction, and the Culter faction he belongs to. The player is quickly torn between his superior and chief of the Secreta: the commander Rimanah who's a separatist with an unstoppable ambition, and his friend and instructor called the "Mentor". The Mentor tries at all costs, even the most subtle, to unite the two rival but sister factions. The player thus finds himself in the middle of a fratricidal war, as well as political conspiracies and quests for power, in which different groups and megacorporations are implicated.

It is in this context of troubles and changes that mankind is once again attacked by a force of unknown origin, taking from humans their worst terrors with the purpose of causing their own destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltNEyFGYrw&hd=1

This game is something else all together. Its a hybrid FPS/RPG, with a little crazy brilliance mixed in. Its as if Dues Ex and Warhammer 40k had a baby, but the baby was a little... special. But hey, before we get to that, check out the feature list.

• The multiplayer, teamplay, co-op modes directly influence solo play, and vice-versa. The limits of solo and multiplayer games are finally left behind.
  • Psychological and mental traumas management.
  • 25 weapons, different shooting modes, dynamic precision, drilling shots, iron sighting, extended zoom.
  • Complete hacking system with game play impact. 9 devastatingly subtle PSI powers.
  • About 20 NPC with non-scripted, fully reactive and efficient AI, endowed with a sense of initiative. Bloody close combat with technical detail. Incredible physical movement realism thanks to Source Engine physics.
  • Excellent replayability due to primary and secondary missions, dynamic environments, non-linear level progression, and random NPC spawn, type and appearance. Death doesn't penalize players: no need to restart the current mission.
  • Open-level gameplay for hours of play without reloading.

Did you not read that feature list? Is this not that game you've been waiting for!?

Really, its fun. Its rough as guts at times, it can be brutally hard or incredibly easy depending on your class and play style. But it is fun. And once you work it out and look behind the 'Feels like a Half Life 2 mod' exterior, its an incredibly satisfying game. Killing a poo poo load load of bad guys with your clone army never gets old. Now imagining doing that with a few mates.

Yeah... really.

Dominic White posted:

Okay, just completed the tutorial mission of EYE.

This is the most PC game I've played in ages. It's a mess of complicated menus, mindblowing freedom of choice (and very little of it explained, outside of a few in-game documents and tutorial videos), slightly wonky presentation and simultaneously staggering scale. It's also definitely feels low budget, but they've decided to do everything as sprawlingly epic as possible within their monetary constraints.

The setting is definitely Warhammer 40k inspired. Boundless arcologies and enormous temple complexes ahoy. The armor and aesthetics in general are fairly 40k-esque, although the dialogue is just crazytown - part made-up fantasy language, part awkwardly translated and strangely voiceless dialogue that used to be French. There's spellcasting, alchemy, cybernetic upgrades, hacking and fairly complex-looking combat, but I've only just scratched the surface so far.

It's... Very weird. I'm not sure if I can recommend it, but I can't rightly say I've played much like it before. I've also never seen environments that big in a Source-engine game before. Everything seems built to ten times the required scale, which is fairly impressive to see.

Dramicus posted:

Quick EYE field report. Its unforgiving, it doesn't hold your hand but there are some tutorial videos you can watch by hitting the 't' key. There isn't much voice acting, but the stuff that is there is some weird gibberish language. You will be reading stuff in small text boxes 1998 style. The game just kinda throws you into the world without explaining much and assumes you are gonna figure things out as you go.

As for the story, I'm not entirely sure whats going on, but you have your cyber-future ww1 fascists which resemble the Imperial Guard from 40k. You have your cybermancer knights who upgrade themselves with technology, I'm not entirely certain if they are the only ones who do this or not. I have also encountered some anarchic looters who have mohawks, afros and will attempt to bribe you with weed and sex slaves on at least one occasion.

It has a stat system similar to Deus Ex, and you can upgrade your body with cybernetics, but I didn't get to try that out because it required more money than I had in the short time I was playing.

Dunno if it was because I specced my character to be good with guns, but firearms seem to be quite powerful and accurate. I was able to drop most guys with one or two shots, sniper rifles seemed very effective in particular. Tried a bit of hacking, it seems neat and it looks like it opens up quite a bit when you get more skills. The Psy magicky abilities also seem pretty cool, they range from "force-push" type attacks to things like cloning yourself to create instant allies. The game seems to be very flexible in letting you create a character suited to a particular playstyle and it also allows you to select your objectives so you can choose to approach missions in a manner which takes advantage of your abilities.

Graphics are ok, it can be rough in many areas, but its generally fine. The game is certainly not for everyone, if you thought STALKER was too confusing and unpolished, you will probably hate this game. That having been said, I don't regret my impulse purchase and will be happily playing this until Deus Ex comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDf5lzVTd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3b0u6dovk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNAWib11rA4

Buy it from steam! RIGHT NOW!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/

Its currently $17.99 USD with 10% off, and will go up to $19.99 soon.
A 4 pack is $53.97 USD which makes it $13.49 per copy. That will go up to $59.97 soon.

Are you playing E.Y.E? Want to play with your fellow goon?

Join the steam group (its public) http://steamcommunity.com/groups/eyegoons and jump in chat. You should be able to find somebody to play with.

---------

So. If you have anything you want added. Let me know and I'll post it up. Have fun guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Oh drat! I saw this back in '08 I think, I was positive it was canned until the recent article on RPS, but even then I didn't know it was OUT!

This'll help pass the time until DE:HR.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Looking for a 4th person for a 4 pack still!

1. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fuzzymittens
2. http://steamcommunity.com/id/defineuse
3. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sankis
4. vvvv it's that guy. He is the 4th.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 30, 2011

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Looking for a 4th person for a 4 pack still!

1. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fuzzymittens
2. http://steamcommunity.com/id/defineuse
3. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sankis
4. ...??? It could be you!

Yes please: http://steamcommunity.com/id/crashbee/
I also have a copy of Renegade Ops to part-trade if you like.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I just played for three and a half hours and I still don't know what the gently caress.

I mean, I'm enjoying it, but I'm also incredibly confused.

Also, everything is really, really expensive.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Edit: Actually nevermind, I think I'm going to wait on this one

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 30, 2011

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
On the one hand this looks kind of amazing.

On the other hand the writing even in the trailers and description is so awkward and stilted. Is it that painful in game as well?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Majestic posted:

On the one hand this looks kind of amazing.

On the other hand the writing even in the trailers and description is so awkward and stilted. Is it that painful in game as well?

It's a foreign game and the translation isn't 100%. It's a drat great game though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Yes.

The translation is, uhh... wierd.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The translation is not 100% accurate. It is however 100% amazing.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay, so it's budget Deus Ex which sounds great. But what is the multiplayer like?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Has anyone figured out if there's a way to clear the "Fatal wounds" at any point? I started over loving again to clear them since they had exceeded the points I got from levelling up, again. Saw an area I didn't see before while running around in the Cutler base or whatever and hooray, instant -2 agility.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

These guys like their easter eggs.

Tetsuo's Bar.

And there's a glass-roofed building off the beaten path in that first warehouse district level with a dead spider-tank.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 30, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drox posted:

Okay, so it's budget Deus Ex which sounds great. But what is the multiplayer like?

At any point, friends can join you on campaign or instant action missions. Each main mission region you clear unlocks it for skirmish-type play, where you're given three random mission objectives and are just set loose to do as you wish.

Last random mission I did in New Eden had the city pretty much overrun with the genestealer-lookalike creatures. Good thing I had a minigun and more ammo than anyone could fiesably need.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
This looks right up my alley. Would love to get in on a four pack with a US goon, to save some money, http://steamcommunity.com/id/adamarama

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

VarXX posted:

It's a foreign game and the translation isn't 100%. It's a drat great game though.

Poor translations are not such a big deal. It's when they translate it and then feel the need to use a thesaurus as a second step to try and make the language sound more advanced than they themselves really understand. A poor translation is entirely understandable, there is just something really cringe-inducing for me about that particular style of poor translation.

That being said, I think I'll give it a shot, it looks interesting if nothing else.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This drat game crashes on me whenever it tries to load another level. Exceptions are between starting area, tutorial, and HQ.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

This game really needs some sort of fan translation patch.

Now that I think of it, where is this game even from? Is it french? The general jankyness makes me suspect eastern europe.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Now that I think of it, where is this game even from? Is it french?

It is.

Here's the team :
http://www.streumon-studio.com/index.php?page=company_team_eng

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Now that I think of it, where is this game even from? Is it french? The general jankyness makes me suspect eastern europe.

Yeah, it's French. And the jankyness comes more from ridiculous, boundless ambition tempered by a small indie budget.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Downloading for the giggles. poo poo looks good.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know, I'm on the fence. 20 bucks is a gamble for a game that I might not be able to get in to. I hate having to learn by watching videos and getting all my lore in little text screens.

e:Ah I'll give it a shot. Any game that I can play with goons is turns out to be pretty great

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 30, 2011

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Just sunk about 4 hours into this game, and it was pretty fun! Obvious 40k influences, lot's of branching approaches to missions to suit different playstyles, very counterstrikey gunplay (duh), and never ending streams of bad guys to headshot or chop to pieces. A few things to note:

• The cyber jump and cyber sprint skills are duplicated with crouchjump and normal sprinting, respectively.
  • The double pistols, if equipped with a sword, will allow you to use pistol+sword like a real SPAEESSS MUHREEENN or akimbo pistols.
  • Hacking is really, really fast paced realtime stuff with a ruleset almost exactly like oldschool PnP Shadowrun. The AI for it can be wicked brutal too.
  • The cyber eye ability you can buy in the medical bay is utterly invaluable in some levels. So get hacking to 35 and sink 12k into. You'll thank yourself later.
  • You can hold LMB with melee attacks to charge them up, and keep that charge held while sprinting. They can make guys explode!
  • When you reload you dump whatever ammo is left in the clip when you replace it (realistic but most modern shooters let that slide).

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 30, 2011

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

NeurosisHead posted:

[*]When you reload you dump whatever ammo is left in the clip when you replace it (realistic but most modern shooters let that slide).

God this is going to rape my habits from other FPS. Hell I play with autoreload on if I get the chance. The videos I'm seeing are making it look quite cool too.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

God drat. I just played for maybe a half hour and despite having no loving clue what to do, this game is fuckin' rad.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solus posted:

God this is going to rape my habits from other FPS. Hell I play with autoreload on if I get the chance. The videos I'm seeing are making it look quite cool too.

I actually think it's kind of cool. It'll make it so you actually need to weigh the pros and cons before you reload

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dominic White posted:

At any point, friends can join you on campaign or instant action missions. Each main mission region you clear unlocks it for skirmish-type play, where you're given three random mission objectives and are just set loose to do as you wish.

Last random mission I did in New Eden had the city pretty much overrun with the genestealer-lookalike creatures. Good thing I had a minigun and more ammo than anyone could fiesably need.

Interesting. I guess I'll give it a go! Thanks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

And now I can't seem to join servers. It just locks up. At one point, the loading bar filled up more... And then locked up again.

And while the Steam forums are hardly an accurate look, not many people seem to have trouble with this game.

Between crashing and server troubles, welp.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Blast of Confetti posted:

I actually think it's kind of cool. It'll make it so you actually need to weigh the pros and cons before you reload
I think that's what I'm liking most about the game so far. You need to think about what you're doing rather then jump in head first (unless you planned ahead for that).

If you liked Dues Ex at all, you'll dig this game. Once it clicks, it's fun as buggery.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
This game is pretty interesting but wow... the translation.
It's the only game I ever switched back to the French version I think.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Another note: the M2 block with a melee weapon blocks bullets!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

[*]When you reload you dump whatever ammo is left in the clip when you replace it (realistic but most modern shooters let that slide).
[/list]

Is this still true if you reload out of combat?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yeah, all reloads dump the remaining clip and put in a fresh one.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Anyone feel like starting a 4-pack? I'm in the UK, rules me out.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029119770

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This minigun is the most overpowered starting weapon I've used in a game in a very long time. I don't think I've seen anything soak up more than 5 bullets, which is approximately a tenth of a second click of the mouse. And it has a 500 round mag. And I can carry six more mags in reserve.

It throws out so much lead that even at long range, you just have to hold the trigger for a moment longer before whatever you're pointing at inevitably gets caught.

Satisfying, but I can't help but feel like I'm cheating.

Edit: It also tears off limbs. As if merely killing a dozen guys a second wasn't enough.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 30, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd be in on a 4-pack, but I'm also in Europe.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cherrn/home

Edit: Thanks Corvy!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 30, 2011

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I'd like to get into a 4 pack as well. I'm in Europe as well :/

edit: got mine - thanks, corvy!

Onkel Hedwig fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 30, 2011

INTJ but horny
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.
I'm probably missing an obvious way, but what is the correct way down from here other than dying and resurrecting?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Wedenhart posted:

I'm probably missing an obvious way, but what is the correct way down from here other than dying and resurrecting?

Just hold back while you're sliding down - you should take little to no damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

• When you reload you dump whatever ammo is left in the clip when you replace it (realistic but most modern shooters let that slide).

Well poo poo, no wonder I kept running out of ammo. :/

• Locked thread