Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«75 »
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's AWESOME!

When did smaller become a negative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

The mt4g is a great phone. It has 768MB RAM and a FFC, and mine runs everything I've thrown at it. It's of the last phones with a nav button, which I find insanely useful, and it's relatively cheap. It also gets tmo's full 4g speed.

Sensation is a flashier device and is certainly faster, but the mt4g feels great in my pocket - and not every phone has to be a land barge to be useful.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The streets sketched out in the full moon light,
MIT punks dying left and right.
There's nowhere to run don't even try,
cause all my shootings be drivebys.

Yeah I can't really knock the MT4g to much. My buddy has one that he loves to death but when compared to a Sensation? I'd rather get the latter that has at least a little bit more futureproofing.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks for the replies about the T-Mobile Android phones. I like the size of a small phone, and the MyTouch 4G will seem like a rocket next to my old phone. I still might go for the Sensation.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

NO ATTACK NO CHANCE

The Sensation hides its size pretty well. Went from a MyTouch 4G to the Sensation and the Sensation actually looks and feels like a high-end phone. The MT4G has to be one of the worst-designed phones I've seen in a while.

Just get the Sensation. It'll be the best Android phone on T-Mobile until the next Nexus releases (T-Mobile's Galaxy S II is gonna be the red-headed bastard stepchild.) Hopefully ICS will be able to take full advantage of the hardware.

Cardboard Box A
Jul 18, 2004
VTech Asian Pride

I checked out T-Mobile's sale today and found out 2 things:

1) You only pay off the phone monthly 20 months

2) The price chart was wrong:

The Exhibit 4G that Ulysses S. Grant touted was actually $15 a month.

(The only phone there that was $10 a month was the old LG Optimus T which was a horrible deal given it was available prepaid for about $165)

So in fact for all of the desirable phones it was $300 over 20 months + $50-200 upfront - the mail-in rebate, which was generally only $50-100. Not much of a deal at all. The only huge rebate was the one on the T-Mobile G-Slate tablet ($200 rebate) but come on, it's a tablet.

Cardboard Box A fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2011 around 14:07

NerftheSmurf
Jun 12, 2003

I will smurf you

I have a Nexus One with the Even More Plus plan currently. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Sensation 4G. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the phone at full price and go with the Value plan that's like my current plan but 10 bucks less a month? I know it locks me in for 2 years but at that rate I can live with it. Anything I'm missing?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

NerftheSmurf posted:

I have a Nexus One with the Even More Plus plan currently. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Sensation 4G. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the phone at full price and go with the Value plan that's like my current plan but 10 bucks less a month? I know it locks me in for 2 years but at that rate I can live with it. Anything I'm missing?

With the leaked T-Mobile documents saying that existing plans will be grandfathered in after the merger, it might be better to be in a contract.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Mark Larson posted:

With the leaked T-Mobile documents saying that existing plans will be grandfathered in after the merger, it might be better to be in a contract.

Yeah but he might have to buy a new phone post-merger.

E: Wait what am I thinking?

khy
Aug 14, 2005

I have a question!

I'm currently using the Motorola Cliq, and I like it. I really, really prefer a slide-out keyboard - one of my favorite things to do with my phone is load Gensoid or Nesoid and retro game on it, and the keyboard works SO much better than the touchscreen. Also I'm just really, really used to it and prefer not to change unless I have to

My cliq has been misbehaving more and more recently, and because it comes with that lovely motorola-customized version of Android, Motoblur. I loving hate Motoblur because I'm stuck on Android 1.5 and the 2.1 version is really unstable (According to friends who've done the upgrade). I want newer android so I can use my bluetooth headset's voice-dial features and use newer apps and poo poo.

Because of those that, I want to get a new phone.

When I search for a new phone on T-Mobile's website (Android + slide keyboard), they recommend the myTouch 3G, the Sidekick 4g, and the Cliq 2.

Comparing those three (And throwing in the mytouch 4g and samsung galaxy as well) on this website :
phonescoop

makes me lean towards the 4g slide and the Cliq 2.

The cliq 2 is $100 cheaper, only slightly lower CPU speed (1.0 instead of 1.2 ghz CPU), loses just over an hour of battery life, has slightly higher resolution. the 4g has everything I care about (Good battery, big screen, fast CPU) but is a little expensive for my budget right now.

On the other hand, it has that loving Motoblur OS which makes me nervous. When the next version of Android comes out, chances are i wouldn't be able to download it, and I'd be stuck in the same position with the new phone : Waiting 2-3 years for an old verion of android to become available on the phone, then not wanting to do the upgrade because the phone would be unstable as hell on it.

Any thoughts? I'm having real difficulties deciding and maybe some other goons here might have recommendations or personal experiences with the MyTouch 4G slide or Cliq 2 that might help me make a decision.

khy fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2011 around 18:25

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

Buy a secondhand G2 for $200 and be amazed.

If you're set on getting a new phone then the MT4gSlide would be a good choice. Secondhand, you can't go wrong with the G2.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2011 around 18:36

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Slopehead posted:

Rooted, flashed, running Juicedefender I get 30 hours of battery life and it is a zippy phone. The difference isn't THAT big between the G2 and the newer phones. Also it has a nice rubbery grip thing that makes me not drop the thing with my fat fingers.

khy
Aug 14, 2005

Slopehead posted:

I looked up the specs and it looks really, really nice but honestly I have bad luck with phones and I'm very wary about getting a phone with no warranty or service.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

Manufacturer warranty should still be honored even on secondhand market. It's getting close to the end of the year window though.

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I googled "AWS frequencies" and Wikipedia said that Cricket uses AWS.

For anyone that has switched to a Value plan but not bought a new phone:

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/09/t-mo...september-24th/

IF YOU ARE ON A CLASSIC OR LEGACY PLAN THEN YOU ARE. NOT. ELIGIBLE. FOR THIS SPECIAL.

Not a bad deal - 199 down for the Sensation, 100 dollar mail-in-rebate, Samsung Exhibit for free after rebate, and the G-Slate for 100 bucks after rebate.

WOW I'm pretty mad I missed this!

Cardboard Box A
Jul 18, 2004
VTech Asian Pride

KeviNguyen posted:

WOW I'm pretty mad I missed this!
Why? as I noted above the discounts ended up being only the mail-in rebates which were pretty small unless you wanted a G-Slate for some reason. For example the Samsung Exhibit Ulysses S. Grant mentioned was essentially $350 minus $50 mail-in rebate during the sale, the next day the price dropped to $330. They basically inflated the price for one day just to make you think you were getting a slightly better deal.

The bottom line is you still get much better deals buying used on Craigslist and eBay.

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why? as I noted above the discounts ended up being only the mail-in rebates which were pretty small unless you wanted a G-Slate for some reason. For example the Samsung Exhibit Ulysses S. Grant mentioned was essentially $350 minus $50 mail-in rebate during the sale, the next day the price dropped to $330. They basically inflated the price for one day just to make you think you were getting a slightly better deal.

The bottom line is you still get much better deals buying used on Craigslist and eBay.

Oh whoops, guess I misunderstood

Combo
Aug 18, 2003

Hey guys, I wanted to get an opinion from some people more in the know on this, I hope this is the proper place. Basically, I have T-mobile and a G2 and love it, I've had the same number since 2000. Unfortunately, very soon work is making me get a cell through them (iphone). So here's the situation:

My line:
200 mb/month data plan
tmobile g2

Wife's line:
lovely old phone
no data plan

What I want to do once I finally have to give in and get a work phone is, swap sim cards with my wife to give her my G2 (and I guess I would have to move the data plan from my line to hers). With my line using her phone now, forward all calls from that line directly to the iphone.

Basically I want to keep my phone number but let her have the nicer phone and a data plan, while not having to carry two phones.

I'm assuming this is possible, is it going to be a giant pain in the rear end?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Hey Tmobile folks, I need some help.

I bolted TM for Sprint back in August, thinking that the Sprint port bonus thing would cover my early termination fee. Back on August 11, I had the following chat conversation with TM, which I saved a copy of and which they still have a copy of:

quote:

Me: I need information about early termination fee timeline.

_Joni H: Your contract end date is 2/11/2012 so the early termiantion fee at this time is $200.00.

_Joni H: Here is the breakdown though of our early termination fee schedule.

_Joni H: If you cancel and have more than 180 days left it is $200.00. If you have 91 - 180 days left it is $100.00, if you have 30 - 91 days left it is $50.00, if you have less than 30 days left it is $50.00 OR the amount of your monthly recurring charges, whichever is less.

Me: what is the date that it goes to $100?

_Joni H: Let me check that for you.

_Joni H: It looks like the $100.00 fee would take effect on the 12th of this month from what I can calculate.

Me: so, tomorrow?

_Joni H: If I calculated correctly yes.

Me: ok, thank you

I had also done the math and I thought it was the 12th, but I wanted to get the final word from TM. Based on this conversation, I went ahead and ported the phone on the 13th of August.

I'm sure no one is surprised to find that I got my final bill today and they are trying to charge me the full $200, based on the fact that, according to their calculations, I had 181 days left on my contract. I called them today, and Phil A. the retarded call center manager said, and I quote, "what that representative told you does not matter", and that the $200 fee stands in his opinion.

What, if any, is my next step here? I assume I'm going to have to make a complaint or dispute, is there a particularly effective channel to do this by?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Don't you know there ain't no devil, its just God when he's drunk.

bewbies posted:

Hey Tmobile folks, I need some help.

I bolted TM for Sprint back in August, thinking that the Sprint port bonus thing would cover my early termination fee. Back on August 11, I had the following chat conversation with TM, which I saved a copy of and which they still have a copy of:

I had also done the math and I thought it was the 12th, but I wanted to get the final word from TM. Based on this conversation, I went ahead and ported the phone on the 13th of August.

I'm sure no one is surprised to find that I got my final bill today and they are trying to charge me the full $200, based on the fact that, according to their calculations, I had 181 days left on my contract. I called them today, and Phil A. the retarded call center manager said, and I quote, "what that representative told you does not matter", and that the $200 fee stands in his opinion.

What, if any, is my next step here? I assume I'm going to have to make a complaint or dispute, is there a particularly effective channel to do this by?

File a complaint with the better business bureau.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Combo posted:

Hey guys, I wanted to get an opinion from some people more in the know on this, I hope this is the proper place. Basically, I have T-mobile and a G2 and love it, I've had the same number since 2000. Unfortunately, very soon work is making me get a cell through them (iphone). So here's the situation:

My line:
200 mb/month data plan
tmobile g2

Wife's line:
lovely old phone
no data plan

What I want to do once I finally have to give in and get a work phone is, swap sim cards with my wife to give her my G2 (and I guess I would have to move the data plan from my line to hers). With my line using her phone now, forward all calls from that line directly to the iphone.

Basically I want to keep my phone number but let her have the nicer phone and a data plan, while not having to carry two phones.

I'm assuming this is possible, is it going to be a giant pain in the rear end?

You could also port your number to google voice, and have it forward rings to your new work number (or any other phone number afterwards). $20 well spent.

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com...-number-to.html

Combo
Aug 18, 2003

Civil posted:

You could also port your number to google voice, and have it forward rings to your new work number (or any other phone number afterwards). $20 well spent.

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com...-number-to.html

I forgot to mention this but because I just got a new phone through tmobile recently (January? February?) I'm still in a contract for another 2 years. After watching that video it seems like they wipe that out and I'd be subject to I'm sure a bunch of fees. Am I wrong?

edit: The way my work phone issue is shaping up I may just end up having both phones anyway. Apparently our data usage is really closely monitored.

Combo fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2011 around 19:02

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

We're giving you a hint.

It's generally a bad idea to use your personal phone for work. Network monitoring and Exchange policies that give IT the ability to remote wipe/lock your device. While I understand the reasons for these things to exist, they have no business on my phone so my phone has no business being used for work.

aspacemonkey
Sep 24, 2005
Curious no more.

So, killed my phone (mytouch 4g) while trying to replace the digitzer (took it apart, put in the new part, and now all I get when I power it on is a vibrate, keys light up, but nothing display related works). I (clearly) don't have insurance on the phone, and since I'm on a family plan that we just signed up for in February I figure I'm poo poo out of luck and just gonna have to buy a new phone. I think I'm aiming for either a galaxy s II, mytouch 4g slide, or sensation 4g. Not quite sure if I can hold out long enough for the amaze 4g (rumored for november 2nd?). Do these phones pretty much sum up my options? I'm alright with dropping $500-600 to replace my phone, but which will be the most future-proofed? The Galaxy S II is supposed to have NFC, gives me my precious micro-sd slot, 8/2mp cameras, and hspa+. I do like having a dedicated shutter button, but I think I can live without it. I like the prospect of having a physical keyboard, but I've read that the mytouch 4g slide isn't nearly as fast as the galaxy s II or sensation 4g. Basically I'm asking for you folks to push me in the direction of which phone will suit me best as well as any good deals or sites to watch that will help keep the cost down.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

We're giving you a hint.

Wait for the 11th. That's the Samsung/Google announcement where more than likely we will see ICS and Prime details. It might be worth waiting for. I'm sure someone you know has a lovely old TMo flip phone they can lend you for a week.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

aspacemonkey posted:

So, killed my phone (mytouch 4g) while trying to replace the digitzer (took it apart, put in the new part, and now all I get when I power it on is a vibrate, keys light up, but nothing display related works). I (clearly) don't have insurance on the phone, and since I'm on a family plan that we just signed up for in February I figure I'm poo poo out of luck and just gonna have to buy a new phone. I think I'm aiming for either a galaxy s II, mytouch 4g slide, or sensation 4g. Not quite sure if I can hold out long enough for the amaze 4g (rumored for november 2nd?). Do these phones pretty much sum up my options? I'm alright with dropping $500-600 to replace my phone, but which will be the most future-proofed? The Galaxy S II is supposed to have NFC, gives me my precious micro-sd slot, 8/2mp cameras, and hspa+. I do like having a dedicated shutter button, but I think I can live without it. I like the prospect of having a physical keyboard, but I've read that the mytouch 4g slide isn't nearly as fast as the galaxy s II or sensation 4g. Basically I'm asking for you folks to push me in the direction of which phone will suit me best as well as any good deals or sites to watch that will help keep the cost down.

There's always the option of waiting, but if you need a phone now, and you need a physical keyboard, the Mt4g slide is excellent. I'm not sure where you got the impression that the GS2 is much faster, they're about on par, it has the same CPU as the Sensation.

If you want to keep the cost down, get a phone on craigslist. You can get another mt4g for around $200 - $250. Future-proofing is a silly notion, get what you need now. Almost everything has a 1Ghz+ CPU, 512MB+ RAM, HSPA+, and SD slots. Do you really need NFC?

aspacemonkey
Sep 24, 2005
Curious no more.

Yeah, I've got a couple old phones I can use to wait around for a couple weeks, it just kills me that I've successfully harassed all my friends all year to get android phones and now I'm down to an old blackberry with no zazz. I don't neeeeeed NFC, just figured it might be a good feature to snag while I can. I know that future-proofing is impossible in the smartphone world, just tryin' to get the most bang for my buck.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

T-Mobile and Walmart co-announced a new $30 Monthly4G prepaid plan today.

5GB 4G data.
Unlimited texting.
Here comes the catch... 100 minutes total.

I'm thinking that this plan would rock for me. I usually don't use many minutes in a month, and I just changed to the tmo-to-go service so I could wait for the ICS/iPhone5 announcements without being in contract.

If the iPhone5 is not too tempting, I may just rock out on this $30 plan for the time being.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

Mark Larson posted:

5GB 4G data.
Unlimited texting.

I'm thinking that this plan would rock for me. I usually don't use many minutes in a month, and I just changed to the tmo-to-go service so I could wait for the ICS/iPhone5 announcements without being in contract.

If the iPhone5 is not too tempting, I may just rock out on this $30 plan for the time being.

I saw this announcement today. I'm on verizon, but my contract ends next month, and I've just been waiting for the Prime. But as someone who communicates with friends and family mostly through text and talking to people face to face, this has really caught my attention. Now I just need to know what the retail is going to be on their galaxy S2, because I can save a ton of money even paying full price for the phone.

Cardboard Box A
Jul 18, 2004
VTech Asian Pride

Mark Larson posted:

5GB 4G data.
Unlimited texting.

Yeah this was an amazing surprise. They even undercut Virgin Mobile US.

The question is how long until they kill it because everyone just gets this and uses GrooVe IP for all their calls?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

It's a great deal for pre-paid.

Duckman2008 posted:

That is by far the best plan for you. And I am 90% sure the minutes last all year. Do it to it man.

BradleyJamers posted:

That's exactly what I do, and if you do want to use data for a day, it's only 1.49 for data for 24 hours. It's throttled after 30mb but meh. Never had any problems with it over the 5+ years I've been doing it.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's rather nice about it is that after the initial $100 for 1000 minutes, you can reup for however many minutes you want (35 for $10, 150 for $20, 460 for $50) and they're also good for a whole year.

I am now doing $15 a month prepaid for unlimited SMS, and I bought an $80 Nokia E73 from ebay. I couldn't be happier.

- Google Voice SMS messages are forwarded to my phone.
- Gmail sends my email messages to me via SMS.
- Google Voice sends me SMS readouts of my voicemail.
- I have written a java app on my linux server that forwards Google Talk messages to my phone via SMS. Experimental.... Not 100% this is working correctly at all times.

Thanks Google and T-Mobile!

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2011 around 23:59

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

5GB 4G data.
Unlimited texting.

That's fantastic. I hope they offer plans for $5 or $10 more with a few more minutes. I probably use 300 or so per month, but still, awesome value.

If the minutes counted outgoing only, I'd totally jump on this.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Civil posted:

That's fantastic. I hope they offer plans for $5 or $10 more with a few more minutes. I probably use 300 or so per month, but still, awesome value.

If the minutes counted outgoing only, I'd totally jump on this.

Well, overages are 10c a minute. Not too unreasonable especially if you can offload some of your calling to Skype or VoIP or something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buttcoin is the future of online butts. Buttcoin is a peer-to-peer butt. Peer-to-peer means that no central authority issues new butts or tracks butts.

I used about 30 minutes of talk and 3gb of data so this plan would be awesome if I wasn't locked into a Family Plan.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

FCKGW posted:

I used about 30 minutes of talk and 3gb of data so this plan would be awesome if I wasn't locked into a Family Plan.

Is that including nights and weekends and M2M though? I'm betting getting under 100 minutes is going to be hard for most people without a second line.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buttcoin is the future of online butts. Buttcoin is a peer-to-peer butt. Peer-to-peer means that no central authority issues new butts or tracks butts.

For me that's everything. I used 6 regular minutes, 10 nights/weekends and the rest M2M. It helps that I work in a cave that gets no cell phone service 8+ hours a day.

I did use a little over 700 text messages though.

frenziedslacker
May 7, 2007

I wonder if that new $30 plan includes free wifi calling on phones that support it.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

Is this a normal thing? I recently decided that I would like to upgrade my phone. It's a Samsung Behold that I got from my sister after she got a new phone. Anyways, I checked my account online and clicked on the upgrade option. None of the phones listed had any discounted prices at all. I then called customer service and they said I wasn't eligible for an upgrade discount with my current plan. I think I have the 1000 min/text deal. It's been so long since I upgraded a phone so I asked when my contract ran up and they said I've been without a contract since 08. I asked the rep why couldn't I get a discount since I've been a loyal customer and was willing to sign a new 2 year contract and all I wanted was a discounted phone. She said she would put me on hold to find a manager and 5 minutes later they hung up the phone on me. What the gently caress?!?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mark Larson posted:

5GB 4G data.
Unlimited texting.

I am interested in this plan, but does it matter that the phone would roaming on a partner network (not AT&T) where I live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box A
Jul 18, 2004
VTech Asian Pride

Does anyone know if the new iPhone will get 3G/4G on T-Mobile?

Also is there any way to use WiFi tethering with an iPhone on T-Mobile?

Cardboard Box A fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2011 around 11:51

«75 »