Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«75 »
aspacemonkey
Sep 24, 2005
Curious no more.

The new iPhone probably won't support 3g/4g on T-Mobile because they use a different part of the spectrum than AT&T does. Jailbreak ya phone and install pdanet to tether your iPhone. That's what I used when I had AT&T anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Aug 31, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

T-Mobile and Walmart co-announced a new $30 Monthly4G prepaid plan today.
Well, overages are 10c a minute.
10/min is also their standard prepaid voice rate.

Which means, finally, a US nationwide carrier is offering an awesome prepaid data plan that doesn't have a stupidly restrictive device selection!

(Please T-Mo, don't die.)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

Does anyone know if the new iPhone will get 3G/4G on T-Mobile?
No it will not.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which means, finally, a US nationwide carrier is offering an awesome prepaid data plan that doesn't have a stupidly restrictive device selection!

I'm kinda glad that T-Mo didn't get the iPhone, at this point.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I can't decide whether I should be worried about a month-to-month plan from a provider that might not be there in the next few months.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Naffer posted:

I can't decide whether I should be worried about a month-to-month plan from a provider that might not be there in the next few months.

Well, if it goes away, at least you're not in a contract!

More seriously, I'm going to hop on to this plan for the time being so I can figure out whether I do want the iPhone4S or something with LTE on Verizon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buttcoin is the future of online butts. Buttcoin is a peer-to-peer butt. Peer-to-peer means that no central authority issues new butts or tracks butts.

Naffer posted:

You're talking years, not months if this acquisition goes through.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

FCKGW posted:

You're talking years, not months if this acquisition goes through.

Exactly. They don't go to court till February, and then who knows how long it will take. At&t already said people will get to keep plans that they have. Also t-mobiles "4G" towers aren't going to go away the day the merger goes through (if it does). It is all going to take time. A long time..

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Burden posted:

Exactly. They don't go to court till February, and then who knows how long it will take. At&t already said people will get to keep plans that they have. Also t-mobiles "4G" towers aren't going to go away the day the merger goes through (if it does). It is all going to take time. A long time..

Knowing those assholes, they're going to start switching off HSPA as soon as they can after the ink dries on the check they wrote to the assholes in power so we can fester on EDGE.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Heroic ideal

So I own a Cliq XT and got screwed by the lies they told about the updates and more of my apps are unable to run on my 1.5 piece of poo poo. I'm about 6 months from my phone upgrade, if I called them and started bitching would I have a case at getting my upgrade earlier?

Pooch
Sep 10, 2007

All i have is snack packs.
Hey ey ey ey ey! You don't need to waste a spoon, just suck it down. GEEZ!

I think I've seen this answered before but I can't seem to find it.
I'm on an "even more plus" plan I think. Going to switch to Verizon for new Iphone. Is there a specific day to port my number to not pay for the next month? Or does it vary by when I pay my bill or something?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

socialsecurity posted:

So I own a Cliq XT and got screwed by the lies they told about the updates and more of my apps are unable to run on my 1.5 piece of poo poo. I'm about 6 months from my phone upgrade, if I called them and started bitching would I have a case at getting my upgrade earlier?

My family (4 lines), through enough bitching and complaining got our free upgrades early after the cliq xt debacle.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

We're giving you a hint.

socialsecurity posted:

The only department that will help you is Retentions. They can yank on some pretty important strings if you word it right.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I'm curious about this new prepaid plan from Wal-Mart. Currently I'm on an Even More Plus plan with the payment plan on my G2. I'm just wondering if I switch to the prepaid Wal-Mart plan if I'll have to pay the rest of my phone balance immediately?

Just wanting to know what to expect, with what I presume will be a prorated post-paid charge, a pre-paid charge, and the potential for a lump sum phone charge at the same time.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

This upcoming $30 5gb 100 minutes plan is absolutely perfect for me. The only problem is that I entered a two year contract at $70 a month ($83 after taxes+fees) back in June in order to get my hands on a Sensation. But at $45-50 less a month for 2.5x as much data and plenty of minutes for my needs, I'm thinking of just coughing up the $200 early cancellation fee and switching to this prepaid plan. I'll make up the cost of the cancellation fee after a few months, and everything after that will be sweet sweet savings.

Are there any potential problems with this idea?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

What happens to the remaining line if you port one line out of a two-line family plan?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Heroic ideal

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only department that will help you is Retentions. They can yank on some pretty important strings if you word it right.

I tried my best and they wouldn't budge for me, the best solution they offered was for me to add another line on my account and just pay for both phones.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

socialsecurity posted:

I tried my best and they wouldn't budge for me, the best solution they offered was for me to add another line on my account and just pay for both phones.

You can try gathering some TMobile executive email addresses and sending an email to all of them explaining your issues. It's pretty much the only way you'll get anything done these days, since it appears that TMobile now requires its CR reps to adhere to contract terms and conditions as strictly as possible rather than try and provide actual customer service.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

You mean the company wants to enforce the contract you signed with them. Why I never...

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

I'm on an Even More Plus (500 minutes unlimited text/data for $60/mo) plan that I picked up when I got my launch N1. It says unlimited data in my plan details and doesn't mention anything about a lmit but does it still get throttled down after 2 gigs?

I ask because I'm considering giving the $30 plan a shot and if that doesn't work out for me I don't want to feel like I just screwed myself out of true unlimited data.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Don't you know there ain't no devil, its just God when he's drunk.

Mark Larson posted:

Knowing those assholes, they're going to start switching off HSPA as soon as they can after the ink dries on the check they wrote to the assholes in power so we can fester on EDGE.

They legally can't do that. Same thing with sprint switching off Nextel and Wimax, they still have to support it for 2 ish years.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

supersteve posted:

I'm on an Even More Plus (500 minutes unlimited text/data for $60/mo) plan that I picked up when I got my launch N1. It says unlimited data in my plan details and doesn't mention anything about a lmit but does it still get throttled down after 2 gigs?

I ask because I'm considering giving the $30 plan a shot and if that doesn't work out for me I don't want to feel like I just screwed myself out of true unlimited data.
I am pretty sure yours has 5 gigs of data before it is throttled.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Burden posted:

I am pretty sure yours has 5 gigs of data before it is throttled.

Cosign. Everything I see says that the old Unlimited plans are throttled after 5GB.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Kefit posted:

You can try gathering some TMobile executive email addresses and sending an email to all of them explaining your issues. It's pretty much the only way you'll get anything done these days, since it appears that TMobile now requires its CR reps to adhere to contract terms and conditions as strictly as possible rather than try and provide actual customer service.

Overseas reps are unable to get a supervisor to take their calls if you try to go up the food chain; not sure if it's just because the sups are all assholes (which would make sense, since most of the agents are) or if the rumour I heard was true, which was that they (either the reps or sups) would get fined if a supervisor had to take an escalated call. Generally my advice as far as calling T-Mobile goes is "keep hanging up until you get someone who sounds (North) American", or use the customer care chat service, since I know for a fact that those people are NOT overseas.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

What's the deal with ETFs, and how strict is it? My contract expires October 16th. If I port my number on the 14th, will I get hit with an ETF?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Don't you know there ain't no devil, its just God when he's drunk.

Casao posted:

What's the deal with ETFs, and how strict is it? My contract expires October 16th. If I port my number on the 14th, will I get hit with an ETF?

Yes, always wait till a day after to port is my general rule.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, always wait till a day after to port is my general rule.

Ah, I see.

Now for another more T-Mobile specific question. I'm on a family plan, as the primary number, and there are 2 other numbers on it. I'll be moving to another carrier, they won't. Do I need to do anything special w/ T-Mo to port my number and have the other two continue?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buttcoin is the future of online butts. Buttcoin is a peer-to-peer butt. Peer-to-peer means that no central authority issues new butts or tracks butts.

I have a T-Mobile@home line, can I use that subsidy to get a free phone?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Casao posted:

Ah, I see.

Now for another more T-Mobile specific question. I'm on a family plan, as the primary number, and there are 2 other numbers on it. I'll be moving to another carrier, they won't. Do I need to do anything special w/ T-Mo to port my number and have the other two continue?

Nope.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?

I'm out of contract and don't feel the need to sign another one with t-mobile on the new rate plans. Is it still possible to buy a phone and use the line of credit with a down payment or will I need to rely on craigslist and ebay for new phones?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

I have a G2 that I am 1 year into my 2 year contract and I'm having some serious touch screen problems. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it does some weird poo poo like today, it reversed the side of the screen that it thought I was touching (so if I touched an app on the left side of the screen, it thought I was touching on on the right).

I did not buy insurance. What are my options for something like this? I have scoured the internet and have found examples of others facing similar but not exactly the same problems. I'm not 100% sure whether this is something that is software related or hardware related. I have not rooted the phone or anything like that.

I am planning to go to a t-mobile store today with my wife to get her a new phone but I'm assuming that my only options will be to pay a decent amount to return the phone to t-mobile for repairs?

I've never had to send one off before and am not looking forward to a few weeks without a phone.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Drimble Wedge posted:

Nope.

Perfect. Thanks.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

beerinator posted:

I have a G2 that I am 1 year into my 2 year contract and I'm having some serious touch screen problems. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it does some weird poo poo like today, it reversed the side of the screen that it thought I was touching (so if I touched an app on the left side of the screen, it thought I was touching on on the right).

I did not buy insurance. What are my options for something like this? I have scoured the internet and have found examples of others facing similar but not exactly the same problems. I'm not 100% sure whether this is something that is software related or hardware related. I have not rooted the phone or anything like that.

I am planning to go to a t-mobile store today with my wife to get her a new phone but I'm assuming that my only options will be to pay a decent amount to return the phone to t-mobile for repairs?

I've never had to send one off before and am not looking forward to a few weeks without a phone.

If you have more than a year left on your contract it would still be under warranty. If you have less than a year left then you don't have a warranty anymore. You would then have to find either a phone repair shop or contact HTC to see how much they charge to fix it. It could also be a weird software problem, and you might just need to do a master reset to the phone.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Burden posted:

If you have more than a year left on your contract it would still be under warranty. If you have less than a year left then you don't have a warranty anymore. You would then have to find either a phone repair shop or contact HTC to see how much they charge to fix it. It could also be a weird software problem, and you might just need to do a master reset to the phone.

Thanks.

I just checked and I bought the phone on October 7th of last year. Which means I'm a week out of warranty...

I did a factory reset a month or so ago and for a little while that seemed to fix the issue but they returned. I will check at the t-mobile store to see what they say since I'm going today anyway.

aspacemonkey
Sep 24, 2005
Curious no more.

Gave up waiting any longer, bought a HTC Amaze 4g. I like it a lot so far. It fits easier in my hand thanks to having a slightly smaller screen than the SGS II, is quite peppy, and the updates to Sense have made me use it instead of GoLauncher for now. The design looks better to me than the Samsung, although the screen protrudes outside the back/case a little bit it's nothing that's bothersome yet. I'll have to hunt down a MHL cable and adapt to the different keyboard, but shouldn't take much time at all. I think one off the main reasons I went with it is the dedicated shutter/video buttons. The new lockscreen gives you immediate access to the camera/phone/mail/messages, but I just like having a hardware button, it gives me more confidence in the camera itself, and moving the volume rocker to the same side as it makes zooming more intuitive and means you don't have to block the screen or adjust your hand position to take a picture. T-Mobile's newest bloatware is less intruding, at least in my mind, as it's just their own set of marketplaces/utilities instead of lovely games that I have no intent of using (not that I really plan on using T-Mobile's video services when I already have crackle, netflix, cn video, etc available). I've been using it lightly at work and its battery is still holding up well (7 hours so far with about 60% left), although I haven't really been using it as much (playing games) as I normally would. It's definitely heavier than the Samsung, but the heft makes it feel like it could take a better beating than something all plastic.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The streets sketched out in the full moon light,
MIT punks dying left and right.
There's nowhere to run don't even try,
cause all my shootings be drivebys.

beerinator posted:

Thanks.

I just checked and I bought the phone on October 7th of last year. Which means I'm a week out of warranty...

I did a factory reset a month or so ago and for a little while that seemed to fix the issue but they returned. I will check at the t-mobile store to see what they say since I'm going today anyway.

Yes, do that. However, if you look a little further back in the thread I posted up all the instructions and sources to replace your screen and/or digitizer. This assumes that it is an issue with that rather than a software problem. It is possible that your ribbon cable has come loose somehow.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Slopehead posted:

Yes, do that. However, if you look a little further back in the thread I posted up all the instructions and sources to replace your screen and/or digitizer. This assumes that it is an issue with that rather than a software problem. It is possible that your ribbon cable has come loose somehow.

Thanks!

To update my issue. I did find out that I was a week out of warranty and there is nothing they could do for me at the store...

Luckily, today the phone seems to be doing better. I will factory reset first if it happens again and I will appreciate the instructions if it gets to that point.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The streets sketched out in the full moon light,
MIT punks dying left and right.
There's nowhere to run don't even try,
cause all my shootings be drivebys.

Not a problem man. I've ripped apart a bunch of g2s for spring upgrades and i can assure you that it's pretty darn easy if you're even mildly technically competent. This phone owns on so many levels it isn't even funny. The designers really put a lot of thought into every part of engineering from hardware to software.

I might be biased though, this is my first android phone & i love it to bits. It is my go to suggestion for off contract tmo phones. Cheap, very overclockable, great hardware, excellent community support. It has it all!

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

Wheels keep on spinning round, spinning round, spinning round

Slopehead posted:

On Tmobile for non querty devices the Sensation is the top dog till we maybe get the SGSII and that will probably be gimped to gently caress because, well, Samsung. If you want a keyboard, MT4g Slide. Don't get a Mt4g if you have the option of a sensation. It's goofy looking, single core, and slightly smaller if memory serves.

This is from a bit ago, but I just became eligible for early upgrade and really want to step up from my Cliq with broken screen (and thus nonworking touchscreen). So the MT4g Slide is a good phone? I still really feel like I want a keyboard, and it looks to me like it has the same specs as the Sensation anyway so I don't think that would be an upgrade. Or is it? Is the Slide really my only keyboard option right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

NO ATTACK NO CHANCE

CzarStark posted:

So the MT4g Slide is a good phone? I still really feel like I want a keyboard, and it looks to me like it has the same specs as the Sensation anyway so I don't think that would be an upgrade. Or is it? Is the Slide really my only keyboard option right now?

It's a good Android phone. It's a MyTouch 4G with the internals from the Sensation, a good camera and a keyboard.

Although honestly, you don't need a keyboard these days. Touchscreen typing on a high-end Android device is a lot easier these days because the screen is bigger than a postage stamp.

«75 »