Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Not quite an error, but one of the lighting consoles I support has a connection on one of the boards labeled "Mythical Bus"

I've never seen any add-on that connects to it.

corgski fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

We had one of our users stop by to show us some goofy error she ran into one day .. I cant remember the exact wording, nor can I find it again but it went something like :

"An error has occurred where no error should have occurred"

:iiam:

My favorite error message for edge cases that should never occur is "Buy Lotto"

Although I usually follow it with more useful information, I know it's stuck in some programs I've shipped.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You're artificially creating a situation that is very unlikely to actually occur in typical use of these applications. It's totally unsurprising that there's not an error message specifically for it. These are software, not AIs. This thread is for error messages that are funny and don't make sense, not where you feed malformed files to random applications and get a relatively mundane response.

And anyway, Winamp, the only program that didn't catch it with some exception handler beyond the basic "dump core because something is horribly wrong," has a history of being a poorly coded piece of poo poo with multiple buffer overflow vulnerabilities. Next someone is going to post an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen from pre-SP2 XP like it's some surprise. "But look at how unhelpful and obtuse it is, it doesn't even mention that it's a video driver!"

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

SNOT CORN posted:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet

ROTT was the first shoot-em-up I ever played. Ah, the memories.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Amusingly I just spent several minutes trying to drag the recycle bin inside itself, and every method I tried simply excluded the recycle bin from the selection or failed silently.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I want it in my bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It probably used less space in ROM to call the same "press f1 to continue" subroutine for every error rather than building an exception for a keyboard error, especially on a computer that could reasonably be useless without one.

• Locked thread