Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Quick dumb Persona 3 Portable question, tried looking elsewhere but hard to avoid what could be potential spoilers

Just beat it for the first time with the Male. I know the Female is supposed to have different social links and some other P4 stuff added to vary things up a bit, but is the story otherwise identical? Should I expect the same ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

As to the last bit, yes but there are some differences earlier. You can save Shinji if you max his s-link before he's shot, for one thing. I also remember you visit the Amagi Inn during the female story, which doesn't happen for Male MC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
The main storyline plays out exactly the same for all intents and purposes, yeah. That said there's a significant amount of altered dialogue in the main story - Ryoji hits on you a lot, Junpei has a bit more of a hang-up about getting bossed around by you, because you're a vagina-haver, Yukari's much friendlier right off the bat, etc etc.

It isn't a complete rewrite, but there's enough changes to feel at least sort of different.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:lol:

Holy poo poo, I'm dying. How that got past them?

The TV airing of the Persona 4 anime had really lovely animation quality for a good number of episodes, then suddenly got better about halfway through the show. There's one scene in one episode that makes use of the same three or four cuts for about two minutes, it's kinda hilarious. A lot of outright animation errors like that were fixed on the Bluray release, but the stuff that was outright low effort to begin with was mostly just touched up a little.

hambeef posted:

Quick dumb Persona 3 Portable question, tried looking elsewhere but hard to avoid what could be potential spoilers

Just beat it for the first time with the Male. I know the Female is supposed to have different social links and some other P4 stuff added to vary things up a bit, but is the story otherwise identical? Should I expect the same ending?

The female route has different social links and story scenes will play out somewhat differently. Your interactions with most of your party members is changed around is well (different dialogue during the story, everyone has a social link), with the exception of Aigis who's content is essentially entirely identical. The ending is the same.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dehry posted:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1397183526

So, if I'm reading the internet right, there's something about a new P4A2 character coming out on the 25th?

Ken, Rise, and one other unknown.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rise? How are they going to manage that? She has a pure support Persona.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It might not make sense for the plot (though really what do you expect from Arena at this point) but it wouldn't be hard to come up with moves for her to use in a fighting game. Now, Fuuka and her "I'm in a ball" persona would be hard to do.

Kinda curious about Ken though, he'll probably have the most dramatic change in character design since he was the youngest.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ken should be cool, all of his P3 attack animations were crazy Shaolin spinny twirly flippy nonsense and his persona has a giant sawblade on it.

Rise should be interesting to see how they give her combat abilities. Maybe her big telescope will shoot lasers, idk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
drat, no P1 or P2 characters.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm developing a real love-hate relationship with SMT IV. Being a Samurai was cool, but playing as Tetsuo to the soundtrack of Farcry 3: Blood Dragon for the last 5 hours has been some good poo poo. But why is the world map -so bad-? :psyduck:

Seriously though, it was pretty awesome when I stepped into Shinjuku and put that sweet, sweet, Offensive Arms logo on my back. I love the atmosphere of this game.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 17, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rise is going to have dance moves as her attacks. Calling it now. As for Himiko, there was that time in the P4 anime where it straight up headbutt-tackles Ameno-No-Sagiri with the other Personas, so they might be able to work something out of it.

Ken's spear is going to be one hell of a weapon. I'm betting on him gaining a spear variant of Dante's Prop Shredder move from MvC3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

drat, no P1 or P2 characters.

And there never will be unless they do non story related DLC. This stuff and that thing someone mentioned earlier about Nanako with Dojima as a persona stand-in are great reasons why these games shouldn't have been sequels. They could do so much more fun/interesting stuff that way. Also the way they handle the plot is really repetitive and dumb.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SHO Minazuki and Sho MINAZUKI are two different characters. He has a plume of dusk inside him with a different personality

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm telling you guys it's Adachi, we've known about his inclusion in the game for a while now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

NTT posted:

I'm developing a real love-hate relationship with SMT IV. Being a Samurai was cool, but playing as Tetsuo to the soundtrack of Farcry 3: Blood Dragon for the last 5 hours has been some good poo poo. But why is the world map -so bad-? :psyduck:

Yeah, everyone agrees it's terrible. Use this instead:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2014/04/first-look-lost-dimension

Here's the next SMT lookalike game that will end up being horrible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dehry posted:

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/first-look-lost-dimension

Here's the next SMT lookalike game that will end up being horrible.

How is this an SMT lookalike?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It reminds me of Imagine, of all things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
The costumes look sorta like SMTIV's? Maybe?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

How is this an SMT lookalike?

It's being made by the same company who made EO I&II and Strange Journey, plus the characters look a lot like they came from an earlier Atlus game with the porcelain doll look.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hope it isn't a massive disappointment like mind/zero.

Why the gently caress is that even being localized if it did so shittily in Japan?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hope it isn't a massive disappointment like mind/zero.

Why the gently caress is that even being localized if it did so shittily in Japan?
Might have gotten localization rights before the sales were in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endorph posted:

The costumes look sorta like SMTIV's? Maybe?

Yeah it's not like youths fighting evil/demons in a ruined metropolis at the end of the world is a running thing in SMT.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, everyone agrees it's terrible. Use this instead:

That had better be at least somewhat accurate to real life Tokyo, or else I'll be mad for no reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's an exact map of Tokyo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Well at least the Japanese didn't think it was that lovely of a map then. :shepicide:

e; well if I was a TRUE SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI FAN and was a complete weeaboo and had a course and a half of half assed Rosetta Stone Japanese under my belt...

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 17, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The issue isn't with the accuracy, the issue is with how arbitrarily it's sectioned off. You get used to it but it's pretty bad. Even the airship sucks since you're stuck with taking off/landing at set areas.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

The issue isn't with the accuracy, the issue is with how arbitrarily it's sectioned off. You get used to it but it's pretty bad. Even the airship sucks since you're stuck with taking off/landing at set areas.

The first time I beat the game I didn't even know there was an airship. Which made things especially annoying.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Man, I wasn't remotely interested in P4A2, but then Rise is coming out on it? Guess I'll get this one too...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The first time I beat the game I didn't even know there was an airship. Which made things especially annoying.

Don't worry the airship doesn't really help anything much.

PureRok posted:

Man, I wasn't remotely interested in P4A2, but then Rise is coming out on it? Guess I'll get this one too...

We should probably wait for more info on this before making any assertions, really. It could just be a mistake, but if Rise is playable in the game this will certainly be something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

NTT posted:

Well at least the Japanese didn't think it was that lovely of a map then. :shepicide:

I question that, would every Japanese person really know exactly how Tokyo's laid out? I wouldn't be able to travel through New York with zero indication.

I'm playing through the end of SMTIV right now, and I'm not really sure I can finish. They just had me to a bunch of sidequests just because, and this has been so incredibly grating that I'm not sure I have the stamina. I love the art design for walking around on the map, but they got so many things wrong with the actual game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My biggest complaint with SMTIV really isn't even anything with gameplay. It's the new demon designs, as cool as some of them are. The new art next to the old is very visually jarring at times. You can really seriously tell which ones had different artists, next to the old art. Medusa is a particularly glaring example.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Ken and Rise?! I'll have to go to the arcade to see if they get patched in soon. There wasn't any space on the character select screen after they patched in Shadow Sho, so I'm curious if this will be console-only.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
They could just make space, you know.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure it's an exact map of Tokyo.

I just got back from Tokyo and I have no idea how the city is laid out because you take the subway everywhere though! Like in my head Shibuya is 2 stops away from Shinjuku on the Yamanote line, which is a giant rectangle as far as I'm concerned. Like I don't think I ever actually walked from an area all the way to another area. Also real life Tokyo doesn't have dead ends everywhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also real life Tokyo doesn't have dead ends everywhere.
It has plenty of career dead ends. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just got back from Tokyo and I have no idea how the city is laid out because you take the subway everywhere though! Like in my head Shibuya is 2 stops away from Shinjuku on the Yamanote line, which is a giant rectangle as far as I'm concerned. Like I don't think I ever actually walked from an area all the way to another area. Also real life Tokyo doesn't have dead ends everywhere.

Does it have Chupacabaras around to eat? This is very important.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

It has plenty of career dead ends. :v:

I wasn't there for work but yeah working 12 hour days then forced drinking with the boss that I saw happen a lot doesn't look fun

ImpAtom posted:

Does it have Chupacabaras around to eat? This is very important.

Someone explained to us that it is rude to eat in public :I

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wasn't there for work but yeah working 12 hour days then forced drinking with the boss that I saw happen a lot doesn't look fun

Someone explained to us that it is rude to eat in public :I

Video games have lied to me. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
The SMT IV map is improved by the ability to fly around on it, only for it to be made less great by the fact that you can only land in preordained locations