Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Alteisen posted:

So how do I fight this botis guy on day 3.

I know I'm supposed to go for the girl but he's rather powerful and kind of in the way.

I actually did manage to whittle him to almost no health but had no MP left to finish the job, then he killed a demon and diarama'D himself and I just gave up.

Save all your MP for him. If you don't have one, fuse a Sarasvati (it's like level 17 I think) or hell, even a couple because they're ridiculously useful. Give it dance moves and have all your guys focus on Botis, after clearing everything else out. Since you're going specifically for him, just kill the demon leaders without worrying about EXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You'll notice a running trend in every response to "how do I fight Botis":

Basically once you have dances, you should have dances equipped on everyone magic-based and use them heavily against anything that's potentially threatening. By the time EVERYTHING ON THE MAP is a threat, you should have enough MP to use dances every single turn. Equip them as appropriate to counter specific bosses (this is how you can one-round most any boss unless it's there's an annoying barrier spell in use, but dances do well with those).

Eventually you'll get the -dyne spells and other stuff to replace dances if you want something else. Although dances scale well and are great pretty much all game. Also if you didn't know, but Force/Ice/Physical/etc boost can be coupled with the equivalent Amps as well for even more damage if you ever want it. The ability to passively boost an element is one of the big advantages elements have over almighty spell effects.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think it's really worth replacing dances. You never really get into the point where enemies begin to mix up their defenses that much, so the big danger of dances (the lack of control) tends to not be an issue. Even high-level damage spells tended to do overall less than dances did for me.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The biggest threats are always bosses, which are single targets so dances work great on them. Everything else that isn't a boss, just Assassinate.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The attack that gets rid of enemies' extra turns (I forget the name) is great against Botis. He'll tend to use Shield All on his first turn, then get an extra when you get nulled on the shield (if he didn't start with one already), during which he'll probably Ziodyne you. If you can use a fast character to attack first, then kill his extra turn as a follow-up, you can pretty much neutralize him entirely for as long as he has MP. :laugh:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 7, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MotU posted:

The biggest threats are always bosses, which are single targets so dances work great on them. Everything else that isn't a boss, just Assassinate.
To an extent on the dance tactic. Most of the special cases are obvious though so not worth running through.

Definitely wouldn't go assassinating every single trash mob though since you are throwing a lot of experience and I believe macca also out the window when you do so.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Joe really is the best character :allears:

Question- Does what you say during the character scenes influence the fate levels?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Is there much benefit to beating Botis? I assumed he was going to come back later and that I wasn't supposed to fight him yet. I almost had him but then couldn't finish the mission anyway, so I just ignored him the second time. I guess you can fuse him if you beat him? I'm thinking it's probably too late for him coming back by now because he'd just be a road bump at this point unless he got himself a power up.

I really like using Elements to boost demons up to the next level. It means I've managed to keep a Flight/Winged Flight demon around most of the game without them ending up obsolete, and I think that's one of the more useful Skills.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 7, 2012

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

McDragon posted:

Is there much benefit to beating Botis? I assumed he was going to come back later and that I wasn't supposed to fight him yet. I almost had him but then couldn't finish the mission anyway, so I just ignored him the second time. I guess you can fuse him if you beat him? I'm thinking it's probably too late for him coming back by now because he'd just be a road bump at this point unless he got himself a power up.

I really like using Elements to boost demons up to the next level. It means I've managed to keep a Flight/Winged Flight demon around most of the game without them running out, and I think that's one of the more useful Skills.

Early Elec Repel is actually moderately useful on one boss, as is Ziodyne. Apart from that, not really.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

McDragon posted:

Is there much benefit to beating Botis?

In addition to being able to obtain his skills (Ziodyne hits hard at that point in the game), you're right that killing him allows you to fuse him later. He's not that great for his level, but it's always nice to have more options.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dragongem posted:

Question- Does what you say during the character scenes influence the fate levels?

Yes. It's possible to have a conversation with someone and gain a fate level, and then reload and have a conversation, say something different, and not gain a fate level.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Well, I finally beat Boltis (Bai Suzuhen is very useful) and I was curious about something. Is there anyway to save Jungo? I'm just curious because he is now dead. Also, RONALD OH MY GOD.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dogbutt posted:

Well, I finally beat Boltis (Bai Suzuhen is very useful) and I was curious about something. Is there anyway to save Jungo? I'm just curious because he is now dead. Also, RONALD OH MY GOD.

Yeah there is. I'm not sure what the conditions are though , generally when you're trying to save a character you want to do any potentially relevant events as soon as possible. I think for Jungo you need to get the RAM a certain character asks for as soon as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every character can be saved in some fashion, although there are certain characters who MUST die on certain ending paths. For Jungo, you have to get the RAM ASAP.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oh good, protect NPCs in free battles. That is certainly a welcome addition to the game and not at all something completely loving terrible Index.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, Day 7 is kind of hectic. Especially on what I've decided to call the :psyduck: Path. "Fight all your old allies! By the way, they've learnt a gently caress-ton of ridiculous skills and have silly amounts of health and mp!" And the best Serpentrione yet, he's all of them at once! There's been some fun battles.

Actually, speaking of :psyduck:, he's ended up practically invincible. Being Strong to two things and Null to another to begin with is a nice starting point. He might not be the strongest character, but he can take a hit well. I bet his name isn't even pronounced like that, but once I saw it I couldn't get it out of my mind.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

McDragon posted:

:psyduck:

Glad I'm not the only one! :haw:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Morpheus posted:

Yes. It's possible to have a conversation with someone and gain a fate level, and then reload and have a conversation, say something different, and not gain a fate level.

ughhhhhhhhhhhh This is really annoying, now I'm gonna minmax every conversation with Joe wondering if I could or couldn't have :ohdear:

Plutonic Cheddar
Mar 23, 2010

I'm off to the chocolate factory! Up yours Wonka!
Well I had Keita die at the stairs, but I didn't appear to do anything to trigger it. Can anyone explain where I went wrong, or is that supposed to happen? I wanted my first run to be a clean one, but I guess not. :smith:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Plutonic Cheddar posted:

Well I had Keita die at the stairs, but I didn't appear to do anything to trigger it. Can anyone explain where I went wrong, or is that supposed to happen? I wanted my first run to be a clean one, but I guess not. :smith:

You have to go to the stairs area (the one where you go "oh nooooooo Japan is doomed" at 2:00, so that at 2:30 you initiate the battle and save him. If you do a character event you're forced to go to the stairs area at 2:30 and Keita dies at 3:00 in the ensuing battle

Edit: It's only day 2 for me but does the premise get any more interesting? I really loved DS1's premise of "Death Clocks" and the lockdown, but this one feels way too generic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragongem posted:

You have to go to the stairs area (the one where you go "oh nooooooo Japan is doomed" at 2:00, so that at 2:30 you initiate the battle and save him. If you do a character event you're forced to go to the stairs area at 2:30 and Keita dies at 3:00 in the ensuing battle

Edit: It's only day 2 for me but does the premise get any more interesting? I really loved DS1's premise of "Death Clocks" and the lockdown, but this one feels way too generic.

Not really. The setting is pretty generic.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, and speaking of...

Hmm, I dunno, I think it needs more work.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't think Nicaea is as good as the death clocks from DS1 but I think the cast from 2 is better on the whole. Nobody nearly as boss as Gin though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dragongem posted:

ughhhhhhhhhhhh This is really annoying, now I'm gonna minmax every conversation with Joe wondering if I could or couldn't have :ohdear:
You only need to do this if you want to get everyone's fate to 5 in a single play through. There's a wiki page out there for that.

Otherwise they give you more than enough conversations throughout the game to get to 5 just by winging it. And if you love a particular character, just choose to help the group he's in when the game starts doing group splits and such - you get a decent bonus for this. Most people end up at Fate 5 at the end though, so as long as you go into a certain part of the game at Fate 4 (it will be obvious when) then you have nothing to worry about.

Just by winging it I got everyone but three characters to Fate 5. It's not that hard.

Plutonic Cheddar posted:

What probably throws people for a loop there is that there's a plot scene at the same location that you need to trigger before you can trigger the save, or else it just covers up the battle.

Generally I tried to do all plot related stuff and then personal stuff afterwards. You usually end up with like 6 hours of socializing at the end of the day, or sometimes the characters will straight up tell you that you have time to spare until a certain time to progress plot. I heard you can miss some side quests doing this but if it's anything like the detective then I didn't care (so much time spent for some weak back story and a semi-okay demon, ho hum)

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 8, 2012

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
New PV for Persona 4: The Golden was released today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEoKIY5ayFE

Nice to see the crossdressing outfits confirmed and some footage of the new opening (myriad truths).

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Does anyone know how hard/possible it is to buy games for the Vita on the Japanese PSN (and if it will make it more difficult for me to also buy things on the US PSN)? I'm thinking it might be worth it to play P4G in Japanese, if only for some language practice.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
yeah video games sure do beat a formal education.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zelmel posted:

Does anyone know how hard/possible it is to buy games for the Vita on the Japanese PSN (and if it will make it more difficult for me to also buy things on the US PSN)? I'm thinking it might be worth it to play P4G in Japanese, if only for some language practice.
There's an all-purpose import thread that should help with this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362476

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, I'm dumb. I just realized I could've joint cracked multiple skills from Botis. Instead, I just got Elec Repel, but not Ziodyne
Oh well, in the future.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Justice posted:

yeah video games sure do beat a formal education.

Says the video game translator.

Day 8 was stupidly hard. I intentionally chose the lamest end and it still took me forever to kill the last boss. It didn't help that I totally forgot about suspend saves.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
From the editing in that short trailer, it looks like you'll be developing the Fool Social link with the new girl. Also, do those scenes in the snow and such indicate that we'll be playing during the time between you beat the not-quite-so-"final" boss and the actual ending? I can't quite remember what was the final date to reach the end of that dungeon (I think it was right after Christmas) but would sure appreciate the extra time to boost links and stats before the very end of the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TheLoser posted:

From the editing in that short trailer, it looks like you'll be developing the Fool Social link with the new girl. Also, do those scenes in the snow and such indicate that we'll be playing during the time between you beat the not-quite-so-"final" boss and the actual ending? I can't quite remember what was the final date to reach the end of that dungeon (I think it was right after Christmas) but would sure appreciate the extra time to boost links and stats before the very end of the game.

Yes, it was already confirmed that there's a ski trip during January.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
What would be a good SMT game to play as someone who has only played and beaten persona 4?

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Lucinice posted:

What would be a good SMT game to play as someone who has only played and beaten persona 4?

If you have a DS, Strange Journey or Devil Survivor. If not, Nocturne. Definitely play Devil Survivor first if you're going for the DS games. But if you're looking for a different kind of experience, Strange Journey. But hey, do what you want. These are just recommendations. I never played the Raidou series, so yeah. There's that too.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Lucinice posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286826

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More P2: Eternal Punishment PSP screenshots

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
I'm in the late-game in SMT: Nocturne, and something is bothering me. (Spoilered just in case.)

I beat Metatron, and went down to where the final elevator is. When I try to ride it, it just says it doesn't appear to be working? What gives? Does Lucifer just not want my soul?

Also, where is all the really good treasure? I thought the 5th Kalpa was supposed to have cache cubes with hundreds of thousands of macca and other great stuff. Are they all behind those doors that require specific demons?

Plutonic Cheddar
Mar 23, 2010

I'm off to the chocolate factory! Up yours Wonka!

Rascyc posted:

What probably throws people for a loop there is that there's a plot scene at the same location that you need to trigger before you can trigger the save, or else it just covers up the battle.

Generally I tried to do all plot related stuff and then personal stuff afterwards. You usually end up with like 6 hours of socializing at the end of the day, or sometimes the characters will straight up tell you that you have time to spare until a certain time to progress plot. I heard you can miss some side quests doing this but if it's anything like the detective then I didn't care (so much time spent for some weak back story and a semi-okay demon, ho hum)

I gave in and chose to redo the day, but at least now I know I have to be a lot more diligent rescuing people in DS2. I kinda expected it to be like the original where the first few days were pretty much automatic, and it wasn't until late game that you honestly had to worry about it. They hit the ground running this time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

9999DMG posted:

I'm in the late-game in SMT: Nocturne, and something is bothering me. (Spoilered just in case.)

I beat Metatron, and went down to where the final elevator is. When I try to ride it, it just says it doesn't appear to be working? What gives? Does Lucifer just not want my soul?

Also, where is all the really good treasure? I thought the 5th Kalpa was supposed to have cache cubes with hundreds of thousands of macca and other great stuff. Are they all behind those doors that require specific demons?

Did you enter the final stage before you did the 5th kalpa? If you did then you locked yourself out.

And yes to question number 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Huh, the dungeon screenshot looks like there's a change to the mapping interface of just the fading out feet instead of highlighting. I wonder how that will work for the mapping quest, unless they bring back the highlighting on the minimap if you have a map quest open.

And that art of Tatsuya is literally just the original EP art in a more generic style. Goddammit Soejima.