Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maybe I'm just playing wrong but DS 2 seems to have stepped the difficulty up without being overly cheap (which is a good thing)

You're right, I just finished DS Overclocked and DS2 starts off much faster. I was surprised when one of my demons got OHKOed in the 2nd battle. It made me happy.

And poo poo, picked the dildo girl. rilly sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Dehry posted:

Dia, Dia everywhere. I've gotten things down to 5HP and the entire party has healed. This shouldn't happen at level 10.

So far I like the difficulty. I have not fought in any of the gimmick battles so my opinion may change.

Newcomers are hosed though.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

DrManiac posted:

Multi-Strike is loving brutal in the right hands. with high agility and decent strength pierce + ares aid+ drain kills everything and heals you all the way back up.

This. I just did this with the dancer on day 7. Now I wish I had pursued her friendship. She is regularly trashing entire teams and making me lots of macca.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
Alright, day 8 in DS2 Polaris via Daichi's path is beating my rear end Any tips?

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Artix74 posted:

Wow, Devil Survivor 2 does not gently caress around like the first one did.

I had the same reaction. For me the first couple days were tough and then I breezed until the end.

The demon options are awesome. I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and loving the additional fights in NG+.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Docahedron posted:

I...actually liked Keita. *shrug* He was so over-exaggerated that he was hilarious. He's the standard "grrr snarl I'm a dick who needs no friends I...I am lying to you please don't abandon me" type. My best friend is like this though so maybe that's why he didn't bother me.

So did I. :smith: That entire side-story was well done for being a JRPG. I knew bad poo poo was going down as soon as Jungo found the injured cat.

I liked Keita as well. I also like that he did not find redemption . Joe and Jungo are currently my favorite characters in the Megami Tensei series. Jungo rules.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Cityinthesea posted:

I agree with you about Yamato, Airi, Ronaldo though.

Agreed, basically everyone but Keita, Joe, and Jungo irked me. Hinako had potential but the character art made her awkward. Airi also had potential I liked her dad's side story . But the pedo poo poo really messed her up.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Fungah! posted:

So what's the consensus on DS2? Good, bad, somewhere in between? I liked the first one a lot, for reference

I prefer DS2. I could care less about story though. The demon options/fusions are much better and grinding is not as tedious. I'm on my 4th time through and may go for 100% completion.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
I preferred the plot in DS2 since it was more like Hey, the stars were here before you felt the need to name deities after us and make up stories . I thought it was a good contrast to other games in the SMT series.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
Does anyone else here "C is for cookie and cookie is for me!!!" when you see the Dragon Stream?

Also, what does Health Save do? I've got it equipped but cannot tell.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't want to navigate through the last few pages of spoilers for Devil Survivor 2 since I'm just playing it now, so I have one question. Is it still a good idea to max out the Magic stat on the main character and basically ignore everything else like it was in the first game?

Nope, much more balanced.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oldstench posted:

So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

I'm tempted, but the large amounts of "typical Atlus bullshit" comments is making me worried I'll hate it.

I liked it a lot. I played through 5 times and there was only 1 roadblock that took me more than 1 free battle (for retooling) to get through and that was the endgame boss. The most important thing for me was setting up skill sets on team leaders. The uber humans provide a good example for how you should set up.

I liked the first DS but did not feel like the customization was as good coming off of Strange Journey. DS2 over compensates here and you can become godly. SJ is also my favorite Megaten game if that tells you anything.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

KataraniSword posted:

I haven't even touched a single Persona title.

I'm similar to you with the OCD but to a lesser extent. I'm trying P3P again. Last time I got way crazy with time managment/social links/demon fusing and completely burned out by the last month. I can deal with missing a little but P3P has so much to perfect...

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

RentACop posted:

I'm actually pretty astounded people are having such trouble with DS2, it's much easier than the first, even without dragon spamming.

I found the first couple days very difficult compared to the first one. DS gave you a lot of time for grasping the system where 2 just chucked you in.

What day are you on? The difficulty really spikes after the teams are divided especially if you let people die. And Polaris whooped my rear end for a while.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oldstench posted:

How important is the manual for SMT:Strange Journey? The local GameStop has it used but only the cart.

SJ has a good tutorial section to start and many of the more complicated features are introduced as the game progresses. I wouldn't worry about it.

Familiar with SMT at all?

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oldstench posted:

Played about 10 hours of P3, but that's it. I speak fluent dungeon crawl and a bit of anime if that helps at all.

You got it then. As a dungeon crawl fan myself, you're in for a treat. The later levels are awesome.

If you regret it, pm me and I'll mail you the manual. I just picked this up for a second time and will not be selling this copy.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Alteisen posted:

I've beaten P3P on Maniac, P4 on Expert, Nocturne on Hard, DDS2 on hard, I also finished Devil Survivor 1 twice. I'm quite familiar with the games, the mechanics and Atlus style difficulty.

Burned out? DS2 was far easier than DS1, SJ, P3P, or P1 (all I've played) and I found the "cheap" fights less so than any other in DS2. DS1 Baldr made me sell the game after I worked SO hard on a physical MC and it turned out impossible (repurchased DS: Overclocked). There are no roadblocks in DS2 that even come close to that level of bullshit.

My favorite is still SJ, but DS2 comes close because experimentation was way easier and difficulty was more forgiving allowing me to go apeshit.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Alteisen posted:

You do know, that the damage you can do to Beldr is based off level not stats, right? You could have continued with your strength based MC.

No, I didn't. I threw a bitch fit and sold it.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Alteisen posted:

Just like I did with DS2. :iamafag:

Changing the subject for a second, do you guys think we'll see another mainline SMT game ala Strange Journey and Nocturne? Or will it be the Persona stuff which seems to be much more profitable.

Nice!

I'm hoping EO4 influences some 3DS development. I would love to see some SMT rather than Persona on the 3DS.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Catalina posted:

Yay! Devil Survivor 2 arrived in the mail today! :j:

I've played for two hours, and it's already managed to shock me: The game is not over if the Main Character dies in battle. That's blasphemy; this is a Shin Megami Tensei game!

It'll still kick your rear end in new ways, don't worry!

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Catalina posted:

Hahaha, is hard, actually. I ran into it last night and was like, "whoa, guess I'll work on this in the morning." I'm assuming the fights'll get harder as I get further, because it's early in the game and it seemed like there was a lot of leeway in the strategies I could make. But I'm very happy that there's a fight that REQUIRES strategy instead of grinding. I don't really expect that from my RPG's. It's a nice change.

So far.

DS2 was great fun for me because of this. I really enjoyed having to change my strategies and get creative. Watching the enemy demon tamers is where I learned the most.

I just finished P3P for the first time. I tried it once before but couldn't do it since I had just finished SJ and the gameplay differences were too wide for my expectations. That said, I loved it this round. I way over trained for the final boss though. I listened to Akihiko too much and kept training. The last section shadows were running in fear from me...

Now I have to buy a Vita for P4 and Disgaea 3.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Regardless, I still need to replay Catherine and finish it.

My sexy interface obsession is getting out of hand. God drat you P3P :aaaaa:

I started with Strange Journey and couldn't stand P3P after. P3P is slick but Tartarus sucks. If you like the combat/demon fusion/strategy portion SJ is a cheap option (if you have a DS/3DS). The dungeon is very difficult in SJ but worth it if you like crawling.

That being said I agree now about P3P and am on my 2nd play. The Velvet Room kicks rear end (big David Lynch [and now Soul Eater] fan) and I am now watching the P4 anime...

I'll be crossing my fingers for a collector's edition P4 and have to get a Vita.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Alteisen posted:

Worst thing about Junpei is how you fight many bosses with a wind attack when you have no choice but to take him.

He really is terrible.

Agreed, I just finished P3P and tried to use him through my NG+ and quickly abandoned him. Also abandoned the game after getting to December w/female protagonist. Back to SJ round 3.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Grozz Nuy posted:

At least Soul Hackers never came out in English before? It's a new game to us, just like Innocent Sin.

Don't you goddamn taunt me, you monster.

No poo poo. I'm currently playing SJ for the 3rd time and Tactics Ogre (PSP) for the 2nd.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

RentACop posted:

Yeah the fate system was a lot better because it didn't relegate characters into their own little bubble of plot that doesn't interact with the main story

With you completely and in regards to the post above I anticipate P5 using something similar. The fate system allowed interaction within the plot that also demonstrated different facets of your personality.

I came to P3P after SJ and Devil Survivor so the S-Link thing took some getting used to and Tartarus sucked.

Atlus seems to be good at modifying things that work. I'm not too concerned with crazy rear end plots, I want good mechanics.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Dr Pepper posted:

They're not going to drastically change the formula for whenever Persona 5 comes out. It's too popular.

It'll be refined and improved like it was from 3 to 4 though.

The fate system was not drastically different except that it moved with the plot. It definitely felt more natural than the dating sim element of P3.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

After clearing the first day, i can safely say that i love DS2 so far. The atmosphere is nice and bleak, the characters seem pretty cool so far (Daichi in particular; I expected a generic Zany Anime Best Friend, but he's badass as gently caress??) and the gameplay is solid. Music owns too, even.

I just want to know if there is a way to know if certain events will expire if you choose other events. Should i be prioritizing battles or non-battle events? It's kind of annoying to see two events you want to do and then be locked out of one of them without warning, so i wonder if there is any logic to this or anything.

Jungo #1, then not really. Top priority should always be rescue oriented missions (RAM!!!). I played through for all 5 endings without losing interest due to the mechanics/demon compendium. Lots of experimention/exploitation to mess with thanks to tons of great demons.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Corrosion posted:

If you don't account for the story being told, which ultimately Social Links and Fate System are a vessel for, then you're thinking in pieces, which is why I say you haven't proven how it would be better outside of some basic novelties. Devil Survivor 2, I feel safe in saying, isn't even on the level of Persona 3/4's plot and what it attempts to say. What good is a Fate System improving character specifics if character specifics are negligible to the message? Think about this holistically.

The problem here is that P3P is basically a visual novel with a lovely dungeon tagged on and a dating sim. It's absolutely brilliant with the aesthetics, themes, and plot devices. Edit for clarification: It plays like 3 different games and does not handle the shifts well.

The FATE system used in DS2 allowed the characters to integrate with the plot more realistically. Yes it was a lovely one but the DS games are more about mechanics than plot.

Pierce fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 26, 2012

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Corrosion posted:

Social Links are pretty great, though the system is obviously good in spite itself. I already said I think the Fate System and Social Links should just go, but sorry, Fate System is still gimmicky and, like your effort, isn't on any decent level of quality.

That's the difference. I prefer mechanics over plot. SJ is still my favorite SMT game and I have yet to play P4 (waiting for The Golden). Having come late to the Persona series and anticipating a better dungeon made the S. Link system a drag.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

RentACop posted:

It's a small change but it makes things feel much more organic

That's how I felt. The DS series has much more focus on mechanics due to the nature of SRPGs. It also seems more experimental and the Fate system came off as an evolved version of the S. Link.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Corrosion posted:

I'm saying that Persona 3/4, the "Persona games" in question that I reference, have a unique message and that the delivery of that message shouldn't be taken lightly or dumbed down with "Well, just put this system in it'd be better but I can only say how by saying the game it comes from makes it seem more organic."

That's where you are coming across as pretentious. You are basing your judgment on this thread rather than the system.

Dealing with P3P in particular since I am 3/4 of the way through my 2nd play: It would be nice if Mitsuru would at least acknowledge the death of her father in S. Link interaction

That's why it is more organic.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Corrosion posted:

Several posts back there's plenty of justification as to why things like a Social Link not acknowledging Mitsuru's father's death doesn't matter. The game, its THEME, isn't about those characters, so those flaws are negligible. I'm not being pretentious because I've presented, along with a post that wasn't mine that was actually so much more thorough, why it's not a plot driven game, and how Social Links turn the exploitative nature of "Visual Novel Decisions" on their head. If I'm explaining the game's themes, that's a telling sign of why I said what I did.

I get it, you read for theme. However the medium could be improved.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Light Gun Man posted:

I still would prefer "who do I spend time with" management of your day over, say, having to actively prefer someone for healing in combat to get their friendship levels up. That would integrate it into the game, sure, but then your tactics in battle would be constantly lorded over by thoughts of "She's at 2 HP but if I use a strong healing spell on her, my girlfriend will get jealous!"

That's Fire Emblem stuff. The Fate system is not like this. In Fate it's your reaction to plot/character specific events outside of battle.

edit: punctuation, need coffee

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

Jungo is the best dude ever and i'm really glad i managed to save him. :3:

Also, my MC is the only character worth a drat. Everyone else just get swatted down like flies, and then he has to mop up, gets all the XP, and gets ahead of everyone else so that it happens again. Why does this always happen in SRPGs. :sigh:

It gets better. I used Hinako as the model for my physical MC. I found the other characters to be the most balanced I've seen in a SRPG. But that is thanks to stat growth later in the game.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah that's another thing that's killing my desire to do NG+ runs on DS2: I just hit Megrez again and I forgot how much busywork they made your rear end do on day 5 onwards to kill bosses. "Well no you're traveling with 3 incarnations of Lucifer and a mass of the heavenly host, but you're still going to have to do all this horseshit before you can just pound someone's head in."

By the time you hit NG+ you can have all of Megrez's points covered in a couple of turns. NG+ was pretty bad rear end even if your uber demons are not as useful as movement exploitation teams.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Thuryl posted:

I liked Joe because it's not often you get a realistic portrayal in a video game of a character who's obviously clinically depressed but trying to hide it.

I tend to play SRPGs from a purely logical perspective. I completely missed that and I am bipolar myself. I may have to look at this again. . . but not today.

Am I the only one who enjoys the roadblock/Atlus dickery? I've played enough of SMT to know the basic mechanics and can assemble a pretty bad rear end team quickly. I really don't want to steamroll eveything. In DS2 I treated the bosses like puzzles and counted on getting smashed the first time I tried. Through careful planning there is very little grinding required in DS2.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Thuryl posted:

That was the impression I got of him, anyway. It's not normal for someone to be that carefree, and you see shades of some pretty deep underlying insecurities sometimes, like when you press him about why he won't visit his girlfriend.

It's easy to see now. At the time I just thought he was just quirky anime guy. That is a valid and human explanation as to why Joe was avoiding his girlfriend, late to meetings, etc..

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

PurplieNurplie posted:

DS2 trip report:
I've been building my MC pretty balanced, with a slight emphasis on Strength. Is this okay, or should I focus more on one or two stats?

Look at some of your cracked skills and check out stat reqs. If a skill appeals to you focus your MC's stats on using that skill. It's not wise to go with magic and strength since this locks you out of the upper tier skills.

sidetracked: Pureauthor, your signature, are you ironknuckle or did you get him banned? just curious

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Amppelix posted:

In fact, the magic-crazy teacher/nurse spills the whole thing to you in 3. In very conspicuous red text, too.

Much like how he tells the whole mythology behind Persona 4 in that one.

He even gives recommended reading like Jung and Crowley. I've read a decent amount of Jung and a lot of Robert Anton Wilson (lots of Crowley references). Wilson's insight into the tarot definitely added depth. It would be interesting to see a full blown tarot analysis of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

In that case they drat better do some redesigns, because most of the Norse demon designs in SMT look like poo poo. :mad:

I was so excited by Odin being on my team until I saw him.