Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Catalina posted:

Giant Bomb did a Quick Look at Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. The url is http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey/17-2204/

But speaking of more important things, the boobs in Devil Survivor are so silly and unrealistic looking, I find them more hilarious than anything else. It's kind of like a trademark of the series now, with each female character getting more ridiculous than the last.

Honestly, all I want them to do to the characters in Devil Survivor is get their loving anatomy under control. Someone mentioned looking at their spines in the last thread, and it really bears repeating. Their upper torsos are seriously deformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Armor-Piercing posted:

If I haven't already by then, I will probably pull out a map when I get there. I'm really just surprised that I didn't immediately go "gently caress this" and pull up GameFAQs once I hit the second floor of the place.

It did help that there was a clue at the beginning of the floor to tell me which way to go though. It isn't just randomly guessing which way to go like, say, some DDS dungeons, which I didn't even bother trying to do on my own because I wanted to actually beat the game.

The early dungeons in Strange Journey aren't really all that bad. I only pulled out a guide (well, loaded up a map on the SJ wiki) in very specific places, and even that's because I thought the door search is retarded.

Also Sector E happened, and that's when I just opened up the map and left it up the entire time. I really need to finish that game. Are Sector F and beyond terribly bad?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Baalster posted:

Son please tell me you are not hating on Steven Jay Blum and praising Yuri Lowenthal in the same sentence? Because that's just dumb and horribly wrong.

It's an "it could be worse" statement. Wrong because Steven J Blum owns, but yeah.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gtrmp posted:

Liar, nobody in this thread would be capable of getting excited over any new game except for a hypothetical SMT4.

...and then only if it came out on on the Super Famicom.

Uh, wasn't Strange Journey supposed to be SMT4?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I could understand that, but at this point, is there even a core SMT series of games? And if so, what is the defining aspect? I guess Nocturne and Strange Journey adhere to the whole "post-apocalyptic world over-run by demons" motif, but then again... there is that MMO...

Post-apocalyptic world overrun by demons. The main character has the ability to talk to and summon demons for one reason or another, and at the end, something will happen based on his choices (Law, Chaos, or gently caress everyone he's doing his own thing usually. Nocturne switched that up a little bit.)

I'm really hoping for another core SMT game, except this time not on a portable. I want them to outdo Nocturne drat it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I suppose I should probably modify my earlier statement to say that while I would prefer a core SMT game on an HD console, mostly what I want is an Atlus JRPG on an HD console. Persona, SMT, Raidou, whatever. Just give it to me drat it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, it depends on what you call HD, but this might fit the bill. If you want new content then it's pretty obvious that Catherine was Atlus feeling out seventh-gen.

Yeah, I know about that. By HD console I did mean PS3/360.

The Vita looks like it will be nice, but I want to play it on my TV.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..

I'd say it's a matter of popularity, honestly. Most parents and religious fundamentalists probably don't even know Megaten exists. They are more than well aware of the existence of GTA or military shooter #44.

Edit: And beaten. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Magikoopa189 posted:

Also, I suppose Matador wasn't as bad as I had heard. On my second try, after using all of my Beads and Bead Chains, I managed to defeat him with just my main character left.

Really, from what I've come to understand, Matador isn't really a ridiculously impossible boss as he is the first major roadblock, so he winds up being really memorable.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolphin Fetus posted:

spoiler]Kinda disappointed to hear there's no secret dungeon floor in P4, like Monad where I can become leveled fast and get the really badass strong persona. I just get such a kick out of having Satan and co with me.[/spoiler]
Well, there's no secret dungeon for grinding, but there is this one enemy in a lategame dungeon that's extremely exploitable.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Persona 4 related: for the dungeons do I tackle one all at once or do I gradually defeat bosses each day like in Tartarus? There's no fatigue in P4 so I'm kind of wondering about what routine I want to go into.

I generally tackled the dungeons in one day. More time to grind out social links and the like.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nessa posted:

The girl route has much better Social Links, in general. Junpei(Magician) and Yukari are available to hang out with right off the bat. Akihiko(Star) requires 4 Charm and gives the best Christmas present. Shinji is Moon, Koro is Stength, Ken is Justice (don't date Ken) and Ryoji is Fortune.

Social linking with all of your team mates makes the game so much better in my opinion. Friendship. :unsmith:

Here's the most important question with respect to me possibly continuing my P3P run eventually: is Sun the same? Because it would feel wrong to not have access to that social link.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pureauthor posted:

Oh. Duh.

They're not going to leave out the new girl from Persona 4 Golden. Maya or whatever her name was.

Mary/Marie.

I hope they don't add her and instead add Dojima. That would just be the best.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tarezax posted:

And give Dojima the Kohryu persona. Hell yeah giant golden dragon!

Something about Dojima having the Healdragon for his persona in this game just makes the idea of including him even better.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ice Cream Social posted:

I believe it's the Aeon arcana. Doesn't really make sense since it only appeared in P3FES and it was for Aigis, but whatever. The World is XXI, which is above the protagonists along with the Fool.

Based on the Roman numerals, I'd say it's the Judgment, actually.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ice Cream Social posted:

Looks like Aeon to me. Aeon also happens to be the only arcana that has appeared with a gold card instead of a blue card, at least to my knowledge.

Oh, huh. Looks like Judgment is over with Maya and Teddie and them. Yeah, that's Aeon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nessa posted:

I think that really just depends on how you play. I never finished Yukari's link, so Akihiko and Junpei felt like more important characters to me. I never finished Mitsuru either cause hers is just a pain to finish.

I did finish Yukari's link, and she was a pretty major character to me (mostly for plot reasons; not really her social link.) This is not a good thing, I utterly despised her. She just came off as being needlessly mean.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
From my admittedly limited perspective, I'd almost say people who don't like Naoto are in the minority.

That said, I don't actively dislike her, but I don't care for her too much. She's boring.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gtrmp posted:

I'm sure the PSP port of Devil Summoner 1 would have been localized if the port hadn't been programmed in a way that apparently made doing so literally impossible.

I remember reading about that, and originally I just kinda took it in stride, but now I'm curious. How did they even manage that? How do you program a game in such a weird way that it can't be translated?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I absolutely adored the original Shadow Hearts (it's one of, if not my favorite game to this day), and was very disappointed in SH2 (though it did net me a copy of the original of my own, which is great.) As a result, I never played anything beyond the second.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So I finally got around to beating Strange Journey, and I have to say, gently caress that final boss. Half my party (MC and one of my demons) deal the vast majority of their damage using gun spells, and there wasn't a single loving turn (despite the boss's supposed resistance swapping every turn) that I actually got to use a gun skill, since the boss never swapped out of her resistance sets that reflect gun. I think the vast majority of the damage I dealt was based in my Huang Long casting Megidolaon every turn. :argh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Radish posted:

I lost interest in beating the final boss the legit way and just found a bunch of high level codes and used those. Honestly if you can get to the end of a game with no problems and then the last boss destroys you and you have to grind a ton it's pretty lame.

Yeah, I think I wound up grinding something like 15-20 levels between reaching the boss and killing her and I still had a fair bit of trouble even discounting the resistance bullshit (which isn't to say I intentionally ground that hard, part of it just happened between me deciding to grind up a few levels, then doing the entire game's worth of side quests and doing a little last-minute grinding for demon sources and cash to Mitama fuse.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thuryl posted:

Wow, I'm pretty sure that's some legacy code from Etrian Odyssey showing through. You could pull a similar trick on the ultimate boss from the second game by using low-level Landsknechts with the Counter skill to do five-digit damage.

That's actually the other end boss that can do that (and its success rate is low enough that it almost certainly won't happen more than once, so just have an auto-revival item equipped like you should anyway.) The normal end boss just uses regular Curse and Expel attacks.

I figured he was referring to that physical(?) attack that hits like 8 times and is random. As random attacks go, occasionally they decide to hit one character every time. Doesn't happen often, thankfully (I only got hosed by that when I first reached her, when I was honestly not prepared to fight her anyways.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MechaX posted:

Strange Journey took quite a nose-dive for me in the final dungeon (neutral route) simply because of the last couple of bosses. Jimenez was doing 1000+ damage pretty frequently, plus had some almighty attack that wiped everybody. The MC was essentially useless outside of cowering in a defensive stance and chucking healing items out. I pretty much had to luck out by bringing my Doppleganger out of the woodwork and hoping Jimenez lost a brain cell and kept using his ultra powerful physical move on the physical-reflecting Doppleganger. With the final boss, I just caved in and used codes to get a really awesome Alice and Rangda. At that point, there was absolutely no way I was going to grind anymore.

...Huh. When I fought Jimenez, he just spammed his buff spell. He attacked maybe once the whole fight, and it did hurt, just not all that much.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RedBoot posted:

Naoto: He's the best character for dungeon crawling (due to instant death spells) and the worst for boss fights (due to no real consistent damage spells). He gets Magic Charge, even though he has no real use for it (but it would have made Yosuke, Yukiko, or Teddie broken, so I guess someone had to have it).

Naoto learns Megidolaon, so Magic Charge takes the edge off the (extremely high) MP cost.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kimitsu posted:

I see Nanako building a snowman with her Big Brother.

Not enough words for the adorable. :3:

I might buy the game for that scene alone, not gonna lie. That looks adorable as gently caress. :3:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Hater posted:

I've literally never had that happen to me before though. I was able to get Overclocked, Persona 4, FES, Strange Journey and DS1 on release date with no pre-order at Gamestop. It's not like Atlus games are THAT niche that stores wouldn't carry an extra copy or two. Hell, the gamestop near me has used copies of Nocturne and DDS1 and 2, but no Devil Survivor 2

EDIT: It's whatever though, I ordered off of Amazon this morning

Atlus games are often fairly severely limited in their printing. Sometimes, pre-ordering really is the only way to get your hands on it if you're going brick-and-mortar (which is why I throw five dollars down on games I want to pick up unless it's a major release most of the time.) I'm fairly surprised it took this long for you to get hosed by this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thebardyspoon posted:

Just ordered Persona 4 because I've been hearing about it for years and have been on a bit of a Japanese game kick lately. I'm going in pretty much knowing nothing beyond what's in the OP here and knowing some character names and stuff from Giant Bomb (haven't watched the ER obviously). Looking at the Before I Play thing seems absolutely confusing as poo poo, is this stuff that the game will definitely explain even if only briefly? I want to play without a guide but I also don't want to get stuck in an unwinnable situation halfway into what seems like a longass game. I think I asked this in the Before I Play thread actually and apparently the manual is quite good and will clear up alot of those terms which is nice but it still seems very possible to screw yourself over unknowingly, is it?

Hahah, I doubt you'll need any of that. Persona 4 is fairly simple and there are tutorials ingame. It's not an easy game, but you shouldn't get into an unwinnable situation if you play it right (ie. don't wait until the last day to explore the dungeon.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I hosed up and can't save Jungo now. :saddowns:

I have to stop talking to my teammates during death clip segments.

Policenaut posted:

P4G stuff
This is awesome. I really want that game (not that I didn't before. :v:)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alteisen posted:

So I leave the square and just keep talking then? Ok then.

Still no idea on the key in sector E, this place is so confusing. :sigh:

Well, the good news is that Sector E is one of the worst places in the game. After you make it through, you're basically in the clear as far as confusing maps go. There IS another kinda lovely place later, but I don't know, I don't think it was really quite as bad as Sector E, lovely as it was.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, I've been playing DS2, and I just hit the (Friday) Mizar fight on the tower. Should I just buy/fuse some dragons or something? I'm getting completely hammered by the fact that this guy and his clones have what amounts to Chaos Wave but without the downsides.

It doesn't feel very fair, particularly given you apparently have to knock off its tentacles three times, which is kinda insane given the amount of work you put in to get the ability to fight the loving thing. Oh, and it has a time limit too.

I am very mad about this. :argh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So I fused a couple demons, did some cash grinding to bring back one of the materials, and beat that Mizar gently caress I was complaining about last night.

Thanks for the advice! It still went not fantastic since my guys without dragons (I didn't want to do that much grinding) got kinda murdered near the end, but hey, I won. :D

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Speedball posted:

How do you upgrade racials skills in DS2, again?

I think they upgrade on some arbitrary level up.

EDIT: Drain is still pretty incredible. Maybe it's because my MC has an almost maxed magic stat, but he's dealing some serious damage with drain, even if he doesn't one-shot everything.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo I was not expecting Yamato to be that much of a pain in the rear end to fight. I got overconfident with my MC having maxed Magic and effective anti-all, and he got wrecked.

Thankfully, Fumi had Evil Flow. I don't think I could have won without that. :stare:

EDIT: Also I'm a bit sad about not getting most of my skill cracks, but that happens sometimes. I still got the main one I was aiming for.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 22, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm on Daichi's route and already beat Yamato. I didn't look up his exact stats, but he had Megido and Chaos Breath. Also he had auto judgment or something? His demons had Ma-dyne skills, too. When you can't do anything or he moves before you, it's pretty quick to gently caress you up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
In Daichi's route, you fight him at the Tsuusenraku (or however that's spelled) and he gains speed as the fight goes along. As mentioned, he has Megido and sure loves to gently caress you up with it. I don't think he ever used Drain on me, but he might have it? I'm not sure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I actually replaced Makoto with Hinako when I actually saw what Hinako (using Multi-Hit/Strike) + Ares Aid + Pierce could do.

Aaaand I just chose to (LAST Day)kill Polaris. This will be interesting.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Justice posted:

Their gravity-defying boob technology is LIGHTYEARS ahead of ours, though!

A week or so back, while looking for a character portrait to show a friend how ridiculous DS2 characters are, I came across this image which really says it all:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Yeah, I don't know how to beat the final boss Kill Polaris (Daichi route). I keep getting completely boned by the third phase pretty much immediately mowing my entire teams down (except for the MC, who then gets completely hosed over by being the only dude left on the map.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RentACop posted:

edit: The derpiest mc (top right is funniest to me, also mild spoilers in this picture)

God, I love the joke answers in this game. They're so hard to resist. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Catalina posted:

Well, I hope you guys are happy. :colbert:

Gamefly gave me an offer to start again for my next month being $1, so I just put Devil Survivor 2 in my queue. If it's really good, I'll have to sell some of my extra things to buy a copy.
All the discussion about it made me want to try, and that picture of the hilarious dialogue options sealed the deal.

I haven't even gotten one of the "real" endings to DS1, what is my problem? Does DS2 have any major spoilers for DS1? It looks like they're separate storylines and characters, but I just wanted to make sure.

Completely separate as far as the story is concerned. I don't think it even references the first game.