Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
How strong are the buffs and debuffs in Strange Journey, anyway? How much damage does a dude with -2 attack modifier do compared to a dude with 0 attack modifier? Are the attack/defense mods percentage-based?

You'd think this would be the sort of thing I'd be able to find easily on the Internet, but I haven't had any success just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Technique posted:

I used to, but then the mismanagement went from "comical" to "haha, holy poo poo, these guys have no idea how to patch anything".

It's a really interesting game at its core, but it's pretty much destroyed by CAVE being terrible goddamn developers and Aeria being worthless at localizing things. Seriously, they managed to gently caress up the translation on several pieces of (cash shop) equipment, meaning that there was just a blank field where the stats should be.

Also, levelling up past level 91 is pretty much the most horribly grindy thing ever. Same for raising demons.

Wait, the SMT MMO was developed by Cave, the bullet hell guys?

I had no idea they worked on anything that wasn't a shmup. Is this a separate team, or what?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Kimitsu posted:

blah blah blah

Uh, there are pretty explicit spoilers there.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

kthegreat posted:

I don't know if the demon negotiation was better in any of the other games that used it, but I couldn't stand it in SJ. In fact, its the entire reason I quit playing the game. The dungeon crawling was great, but DS and Persona have far superior ways of getting Demons/Personas. So if a new mainline game dumps that piece of crap or at least makes it not terrible to use, then I'm all for a new one.

Strange Journey's demon negotiation system got a lot better once I went chaos. If you do, recruiting chaos demons is easy, and you can just not bother with the other two alignments, since you get enough of them for fusion fodder anyway. There's a nice sub-app (Relax Spray?) that makes it easier too. I assume it's the same way for law.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

In contrast I'm slowly working my way through SMT4:A and it's still fun 40 hours in. I didn't play SMT4 so a ton of the mechanics are new to me, and they're all great. New Hama/Mudo are great, skill affinity is great, the app store is great, demon negotiations are (surprisingly!) great. This game owns and I'm glad I'm playing it.

I'm playing on War and I'm surprised at how doable it's been so far; I haven't run into any brick walls like I did in Strange Journey. Several hard boss fights but nothing as bad as, say, Ouroboros.

We've taken the fight to God so many times in this series, it's fun to see the SMT take on other world religions.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I definitely abused reflect to kill off Jack, but drat. I had no idea you could do that.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ugh am I really going to have to grind up even more money in SMT4: Apocalypse so half my party doesn't get oneshot by super Krishna?

I've already wasted so much of my life in the bottom right corner of the map looking for loot items.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m on War, so yeah, it’s going to be ugly. I don’t even think grinding up to level 99 would help much.

Oh yeah, what would be a good ultimate physical attack to give to Nanashi, and where could I get it? I feel like Nihil Claw went out of style a long time ago.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm not convinced "Shiho shows up at the end of the game as the protagonist of one of those revenge thriller flicks" is actually a good or tasteful idea but it's definitely an awesome one

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, it’s “Kill Kamoshida”

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

p4g on switch would make a fuckload of cash but i don't know if i can handle a new wave of persona 4 fans

I think P4 is much better off ensconced fondly in the collective memory, so we don’t have to revisit how its queer themes actually look in 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

You’re right but I was much better at forcing my own read on things I liked and ignoring their bad points back then

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Time to buy Strange Journey so I can experience Eridanus again.

loving not.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

My SMT4A save is still stuck right before Vishnu-Flynn.

Every 3 months I tell myself I should go back and beat it. But it’s just so drat expensive to get new demons from the compendium that it feels tedious and impractical to prepare for the fight well.

Maybe someday.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Isn’t the persona 3 male mc basically that guy from fire emblem 7 who had no emotions and just mirrored whoever was talking to him? That’s definitely the impression I got.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

When my friend was playing Persona 4 he farmed dungeons for upright Death cards…

Please do not do this.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Petiso posted:

I don't mind Yosuke THAT much because his homophobia isn't unlike any ignorant teenager in our society would have. It also helps that just like it usually happens in real life, he drops it as he knows him and gets life experience. He's a piece of poo poo when he says that in the tent but remember later in the game he shares a room with Kanji in the Amagi Inn and even intends to go in the bath with him and the rest and he doesn't even make a passing comment. An apology would have been nice but then we would be tackling other problem P4 started with the teammates hardly having any interactions if they aren't directly with the MC or the whole group after they join, unlike P3.

(Keep in mind I've only played vanilla P4, I wouldn't find it strange if they added worse scenes and dialogues in Golden)

What I mean is, while you can be a bit insensitive, you can write a character like Yosuke without being a homophobe as opposed to the P5 guys which aren't just ignorant but pure destiled hateful depictions and are even worse by this:

The main problem here is that P4 doesn't seem to think Yosuke's homophobia is that bad. As you mention, casual anti-gay sentiment and offensive jokes from a teenager in that era isn't exactly unheard of, and it makes sense to portray that in a game about high school students finding themselves. But it's consistently played for laughs, and if I remember correctly nobody really ever says "hey Yosuke, that's hosed up." You, the player, don't really get to say that ever, either. That's why I find it distasteful, anyway. Like a lot of things in Persona games, it kind of resembles a compelling, meaningful take on a difficult issue to portray, but it isn't one.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think P3 has the tightest design of any of the "current generation" of Persona games. The fact that you can't control your party members does a lot to make them feel like different people, and fits in with them sometimes being too busy to go to Tartarus or even them having their own character arcs independent of the protagonist. I also found the Tired status much more effective than SP limits at connecting dungeon diving with the larger time management system. I think the day-to-day pacing makes more sense, too; the cavalcade of emergency deadlines always felt a little weird in 4 and 5, whereas 3 just says "plot happens every full moon; you probably want to keep up with Tartarus when you're free but you don't completely have to." It makes the dungeon into just another task you have to deal with, no different from keeping up with Social Links you like or trying to increase your stats.

I can see why they changed some of these mechanics. It's frustrating watching Mitsuru try to charm the boss. And it sucks to get held up by a plot boss and have to reload an earlier save to grind in Tartarus. But I do think something was lost in the transition.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I thought P3 had a pretty decent difficulty curve. It didn’t get quite as easy as 4/5 did. gently caress the final boss though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Persona 3 sacrifices the deeper and more strategic gameplay of having a team of demons you made yourself in favor of making your party feel like different people. You can tell that Yukari has her own life because you can't tell her what to do in combat.

4 and 5 still sacrifice the deeper and more strategic gameplay but get much less out of it. Oh well.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Superbosses are a way to continue engaging with a game even after it’s done. It’s a way of saying I wish a game was longer.

I have enjoyed several Persona games, but I never wished any of them were longer.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I really liked the alignment reps in Apocalypse, though that’s largely because they did something very different with them in that game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I also struggled on War with funds. 4A is hard enough that you're going to have trouble with basically every boss unless you have a mix of powerful, par-level demons to take it on. It's not impossible to get decent demons without using the Compendium heavily, but it's much harder. I had fun with the game, but I found myself frequently farming for money, and I lost steam near the end.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I desperately want to play an SMT game, but I've specifically ruled out every SMT game I could actually play. I can do nothing but ask for pity, even though it's really just my own fault.

I trailed off near the end of Apocalypse, so I could try to replay that, but it's long and I remember the dungeons being very boring. I could buy P5:R, but I don't really want to play P5 again. I've failed to play Devil Survivor several times because it was slow and had an unappealing soundtrack, even though the plot was good, and I suspect if I try again I'll fail again. I could finally play Nocturne, but that seems pointless when a remake will be coming out within two years. I could play Etrian Odyssey 5 but that's not a SMT game.

Maybe I'll just play Strange Journey: Redux. I played original flavor SJ when it came out and I really enjoyed it, evil teleporter maze and all. Good game, good atmosphere, good Jimenez.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, I actually was really enjoying the story of Devil Survivor; I’m a sucker for that kind of high-concept desperate day-to-day struggle. It reminded me of The World Ends With You. Unfortunately I didn’t like, like, anything else about the game, so it could only take me so far.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I thought Apocalypse had pretty good villains; I enjoyed watching the Divine Powers more than the angels and demons that populate the typical SMT protagonist’s rogues gallery. I wasn’t very satisfied with the Dagda plot though, especially since siding with him is so obviously unconscionable.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Apocaplyse’s gameplay is phenomenal but the story is a really meh Persona knockoff with some cool bits that doesn’t fit the tone of SMT at all.

I think this is probably why the Apocalypse story is so unpopular among SMT fans. They took a conventional SMT plot and centered it around the power of friendship. I think some parts of that don't land (basically everything related to the assassin girl, Toki, is terrible,) but some cool stuff does happen. I think my favorite "story in dialogue with itself" thing they do is to introduce Gaston and Hallelujah, who are very much traditional Law and Chaos characters; but in the end, they side with the protagonist against their respective alignment paragons.

But yeah, it's mostly about the gameplay. It's not only the literal mechanics of the game itself; the UI around the battle system also just feels good. Menus are quick to navigate; animations are fast and punchy; the unique death effects are satisfying; the sound effects and music are both solid. The partner system is pretty clearly just a way to square the circle of "we want a party of Nanashi and a bunch of demons" and "the story we wrote has a big cast of characters," but it doesn't take up much conceptual space and it provides some texture to the pacing of boss battles. And of course, press turn still owns.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Strange Journey really has such a bizarre tone. The main plot is pretty much unrelentingly grim and serious. But there are all of these weird-rear end sidequests with like, the guy who wants you to hook him up with demons who are hot chicks, or the foot demon in the Red Sprite toilet.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

My fondest memory of Strange Journey is searching the Internet to figure out what quest or item I needed to find in order to stop Ouroboros regenerating.

Because I mean, that's obviously an unwinnable battle, right? Right?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I saw this image in an article about 70s sci fi and thought of all those poor soldiers who died in a teleport maze on their way back from Russia

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Marie is definitely the best in this list that I know of.

And Miyako is absolutely the worst. I love Devil Survivor 2 but Triangulum was the most awful, unnecessary fanfiction ever. It did nothing for the characters; in fact it made them worse given how Yamato is now just a generic nice guy. I also really hate when a game gives you multiple endings and then is just like 'nah, all your endings are stupid, here's theREAL ending tgat was totally impossible to achieve in the game. Hope you had fun wasting your time."

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Do we really have to just spoil major developments in SMT games without tagging them? It seems a little gauche. Also, Commander Gore dies.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m not sure you can really call any RPG hard unless it has at least two teleporter mazes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Clearly, what SMT needs is an ironman mode to go with no backing out of fusion previews. This is a great idea.

I actually think there exists a game where this would work as a design, but it’d be a 1-hour roguelike rather than a 70-hour RPG.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

John Lee posted:

You come in here every time to be like "The macca DLC is 100% necessary" despite you being, as far as I can tell, the only person in the thread with that opinion.

Which comes across as hostile when I don't intend it to be, but maybe consider that when the vast, vast majority of people don't have it, don't need it, and most of those agree that grinding isn't necessary either, it might be something about you instead?

They’re right, though. Prices on lots of items and on the Compendium in Apocalypse are quite high, and given both that there’s not a really good way to grind for money in-game and that there’s a money DLC, it’s hard not to think the DLC was a motivation for the high prices.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I actually really liked the transactional nature of Joker's relationships with his confidants in Persona 5. Joker has a lot of friends, but the S-Links aren't friendships, really; they're contacts, working relationships you use to more effectively run the criminal gang that is the Phantom Thieves. As with everything in P5 the theme here is shaky at times, but I felt like that element of it worked well.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The thing with Strange Journey is that while Lucifer is often a major character in SMT games, in SJ he also worked as the map designer.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Devil Survivor played so slowly that I couldn’t get into it. It was too bad, because I was genuinely quite invested in the escape plot, but I just couldn’t bear with the sluggish feel to the game. A lot of people like the game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but that’s what I thought.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Personally, I feel the best design inspiration would be for the different angels to take inspiration from various David Boreanaz characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I will never forgive Strange Journey for including a teleporter whose destination changes based on the phase of the moon.