Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Why all the Persona 4 so long after the initial release? It's been a few years since Golden, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I doubt they'd do a good job of it. It'd be like setting the next Metro game in Canada or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fake edit: I should read more than the last post of the thread before I stick my foot in my mouth :suicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Re: DDS2 location
I don' think they ever mention the exact location, but the currency is $
and names would be unsurprising in either US or Canada. Actually, IIRC, there is a
French last name character that uses "Madame" in her title, so Canada might actually
be more likely?

Was it really, or was this just a localization thing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If what I've heard of Etrian Odyssey is true, Strange Journey would be the closest thing to Persona Q. SMT4 is an obvious pick up if you're on 2DS as well (it's more like Nocturne, being a mainline SMT game).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I dunno, man. SMT IV is pretty good, but DS: Overclocked is just as addictive. The only two games that make me get that "Oh poo poo! I haven't cooked tomorrow's lunch" feeling to a slightly greater degree than Overclocked are probably Fire Emblem: Awakening and the aforementioned SMT IV.

Of course, if you want a JRPG experience, then by all means go with IV. It's an excellent game with bucket-loads of content / side-quests, solid story and pretty cool supporting characters.

While that is true, Strange Journey can get pretty loving sadistic with little of the joie de vivre that the Etrian Odyssey games give you.

Devil Survivor is the worst SRPG I've ever played, but I really liked Strange Journey. Go figure. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If it helps, while SMT4 is a good game and all it's not worth a system.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

*I really dug the Blasted/Infernal Tokyo areas, even if they were awkwardly placed in the narrative. The series rarely actually shows you what a Law/Chaos world would look like, so it was nice to see that.

The big problem with them is that Walter and Jonathon do not give a poo poo about how terrible these places are and still go along with them. They're really stupid. But at least they're not Isabeau, who didn't get any characterization at all until the end game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It doesn't, though, it just makes them seem completely insane. The game does a really bad job with the characterization of those two. The plot in general is bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chaos/Law tends to end up pretty stupid. The only game offhand I can think of that's done it well is Tactics Ogre.

Started playing P3P again after beating P4G and I'm bummed it doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. It still has a better plot (P4 runs entirely upon every main character being a moron from start to finish) but the characters are just so much worse. It does make me hopeful for another big leap in quality for Persona 5 though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neeksy posted:

I'm kind of excited to see what P3 Protagonist's personality is like, since of the most recent Persona protagonists, he is the most blank-slate. Plus, having him deliver actual lines in voice will be a bit jarring, but in a good way!

Until Arena P4 main character was a blank slate as well. And look what we got with that, the least interesting character in the game. He is incredibly bland and I'd rather he just stayed home and left the talking to the people who already did so in the main game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Danbri posted:

Hopefully they remember that Aigis comprehends dog language. The best dog in video games definitely needs a voice we can understand.

Arena basically explains why she knows how to speak dog, I doubt they suddenly forgot.

Color Printer posted:

Arena Yu is pretty dull, but the scene where he confronts Yosuke about Nanako is kinda great.

Unfortunately, that's not actually Yu talking, so that doesn't count. :v:

Really? I thought that scene was lame. P4A in general was kinda lame, though I did like seeing how the other characters think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

I'm sorry you dislike funny things.

Yukiko, Chie, and Kanji had good alt endings. That scene wasn't funny though. The whole plot of the game is just "yeah, most of the P4 characters are still really stupid in case you forgot." Except for a few outliers, like Naoto who actually is allowed to figure things out for once. Also the game being super inconsistent bugs me, there's no real continuity for what happens. They should have just made their sequel an RPG and the fighting game separate. Oh well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

I think the point wasn't 'they're still really stupid' so much as, like Yosuke says, that facing yourself isn't a one-time thing. They weren't magically fixed by their dramatic shadow fights, they're still gonna slip up and make mistakes, and in the few months since P4 ended they've all kinda gotten lax. It's the same reason none of them have their ultimate personas.

Iunno it wasn't exactly a necessary sequel, but it was a nice little character thing.

But they really are stupid. The illusion part of the plot exemplifies it perfectly, it's painfully obvious what's going on but a lot of them just do not get it until it is explained to them. It was bad in the main game as well, most of the times they meet up to talk about the case it's pretty frustrating how thick they're being. The police are the very worst about it though.

Saagonsa posted:

I was loving with you bro.

Though thinking about it, Arena would've been a pretty short as an RPG unless they padded it like they did The Answer, and I don't think anyone would want to play that.

My bad. :shrug: You're right, it would have been very short. I just don't think the story works well since the details change from character to character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Artix posted:

No joke, I would totally put Adachi in my PQ party if he was available, just to see what the gently caress his skillset is.

He's the same as the main character, his persona is even just an alt of Izanagi. He'd probably just have his boss fight skills plus the wild card ability, assuming that is a thing in Q.

busydelicious posted:

Which totally makes me hope that the FemMC can be unlocked in Persona Q. I mean, why tease like that, ya know?

I really love the concept of being able to choose to be able to play a female protagonist, but I haven't seen Atlus mention anything about that being in current/future projects. I know it is mostly played by dudes, but I wish they would at least acknowledge or express want to reach out to more womenfolk (or more $$ in general).

Female MC is clearly the best Persona main character. No contest. If you have to use one of the main characters in Q I'd definitely use her (assuming the option is there).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was pretty disappointed with Kanji over that, too. It seemed like they were afraid to commit to making him gay. That or they really, really liked the joke about him being confused over Naoto and could not let it go. Still the best character though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

The point is that people at school were projecting onto him, and maybe Atlus wanted to trick us into doing the same, but that really just confused people, and it feels like a missed opportunity.

That makes sense I suppose. Still a shame though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can picture it already, Yu has settled on his brand new appartment at Tokyo and when he goes to the nearest convenience store to buy something to eat, he happens to cross paths with a teenager on a hoodie leaving to see his teacher at the hospital... :unsmigghh:

Poor guy lives in interesting times, but at least he's not P3MC.

Speaking of P3, I've played through most of it again now and I'm at a point where I know I'll miss getting all the social links in one run by exactly one. I'll be at rank 9 for the Sun Arcana at the end of the game. :toot: I've never tried to do it before, but if I have to fail it I may as well do it in the worst way possible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

Am I the only one who gets kinda bugged when there's no default name? I dislike putting in my own name because having people in Tokyo refer to the quite-clearly-Japanese AMERICA EAGLEHEART-sempai kinda throws me for a loop. I actually looked up what the Drama CD calls the Nocturne protagonist just so I wouldn't have to make one up (same with P4). :v:

Though I did put in his nickname as "Naokun" because I thought I was being clever, and now even the battle screen keeps bringing up my terrible pun. :negative:

We clearly have different responses to this. Yeah, English names are really out of place in these games so I go all the way with the :911: and name myself Morgan Freeagle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heh, miss-counted the days because I'm an idiot and got rank 10 in Sun on the last day. :toot: Getting all the s-links maxed out wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. Now to never use Orpheus Telos because ugh grinding.

edit: Uh, or not because holy poo poo some random encounter in Monad just gave me more experience than the Reaper. :psyduck:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It might just do the Strange Journey thing and automatically fill the map in for you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Can you not still download games you've bought that were removed from the store? That's pretty lame. You could still just get it online and not delete it from the memory stick, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

True Demon ending is the best one anyway, everyone's reason is real dumb in true SMT fashion.

Do you get anything for completing the compendium/all the quests in P3?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you mean Elizabeth, you can get to her just by doing the Reaper quest and handing in the Bloody Button (and it doesn't have to be ng+ either, at least not in P3P). Margaret just shows up on her own I think, or if there is a reason for her door to be sitting in the lobby then I don't know what I did. Thanks though, now I know not to bother with the quests.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea of drawing the map out manually. Maybe it's more fun than it seems but I doubt it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Would be tempting to pick up Soul Hackers or something if Nintendo wasn't literally the worst at digital rights. Why do you still think it's 1998, Nintendo? :argh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Probably, but the games are tied to the system. You can't just copy the game onto as many 3DS' as you want. You can do a data transfer to another 3DS (which is one way and permanent) but if it's stolen you're out of luck. I'm not sure how Nintendo's support for that kind of situation is.

You can't just plug in someone else's SD card into your system and play whatever games are on it.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While Playing SMT4 I was never sure which was worse, the Fiends or fusing Famed demons. The answer is of course both. I did luck out and get Jeanne d'Arc pretty early on and she carried me through the game for a long time though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That image somehow makes Persona even more anime and I didn't think that was possible. Having one coherent story rather than a bunch of stories that contradict one another is definitely a better approach though. Still, I kinda liked getting to see the way the characters think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Danbri posted:

The story structure is P4A is definitely quite a mess, but yeah, I did like getting everyone's perspectives on the overall issue, especially the individual confrontations while under the mind-warp effect.

Plus, it's probably doubling as a manner of fan-service. No matter who your favorite character is, they always get a chance to be the hero in their plotline. Even in BlazBlue, sometimes you're playing the antagonist in your own story.

You're right, but that's the problem with making it a fighting game with a tournament structure. If you want to follow one true narrative and show everyone's parts from their perspective, what do you do with the people that get knocked out in round one? They lose their reason to fight and couldn't move on anyway. Even if you remove the "invisible walls block progress" thing, that just breaks the rest of the narrative. The fighting game aspect does not serve the story and the story does not serve the game. This is my biggest issue with Arena really, it's a poor sequel. If it were just a silly side thing it'd be fine, it's generally funny when it tries to be and the characters are still fun (except Yu). But it's not a side thing, it's the canon sequel. They should have just made the visual novel or whatever since that's like 90% of the game anyway and left the fighting game to the side like PQ. I'm betting that rhythm game and P4A2 will have the same issues.

I mean yeah, it's not that big a deal with a simple solution (ie, don't buy the games) but I still find it annoying. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't expect anything from the rhythm game beyond that. That's the problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, I found dodging shadows extremely easy to do in P4. It'd be nice if low level ones ran from you still (though gently caress the wailing they did, that was so annoying) but it's really not hard to just walk around anything you don't want to fight. Well, just so long as there isn't a golden hand near one that you want dead. My least favorite thing about the P4 dungeon compared to Tartarus is that you don't get money in chests anymore. It was so much easier to get money in P3 when you could get over 500k a pop.

Though while we're talking about bad things in Persona, give the characters not in the active party experience for gently caress sake. :argh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Invigorate/Regenerate never seem worth it to me. Victory Cry or bust. Shame the card is on Izanagi-no-Okami and costs 500k.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A Bystander posted:

Lucifer learns it naturally in the PS2 version but it takes some time.

I think Lucifer just starts with it in Golden. That or you get it anyway since he's the ultimate persona of Judgement. I'm talking about the card though, not the skill itself.

WrightOfWay posted:

I know in the original Persona 4 it was possible to get Victory Cry as early as the early 30's by skill mutating Tetrakarn. Was that still possible in Golden?

Yeah you can still mutate a skill into Victory Cry. Would kinda break the game though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cool, I always wanted to try the Raidou games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If MGS3 can be on 3DS I'm pretty sure it could handle Nocturne just fine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd really prefer it be on the Vita regardless of how feasible the 3DS is, honestly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PS4 can't already play PS2 Classics? Well poo poo, at least the Vita can already play PS1 stuff. Guess if I wanna play that Raidou game it'll be on PS3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, JRPGs work so much better on handhelds. I feel the same with SRPGs as well, so Persona 5 being PS3 and the Fire Emblem crossover being Wii U really sucks (also I don't have a Wii U and don't want one for much else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Eh, give Atlus a year or two after P5 drops and they'll have Persona 5 Perfect or something on Vita.

Well sure, but I want to play it when it's released. :v:

ImpAtom posted:

It's also very possible Persona 5 will be kind of lovely.

What makes you think that? The Sega acquisition?