Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The most unlikely adorable little demon. Possibly :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice you weren't perhaps planning on being as crazy charitable as always and hosting an Innocent Sin contest like you did for P3P?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

She also breaks her silence in battle in the best way possible. "Let's positive thinking!"

It'll be interesting to see, however, if Vincent's example marks a change in this approach. Keeping the PC voiceless mostly makes sense to me in games where you have a lot of control on how or when the story unfolds because it leaves you to make those choices yourself. Having the character speak out loud can act to distance and disconnect the player - although I don't care that much personally, there are definitely games were it makes more sense than others. Given Persona's relative linearity, and limited PC interactions, I think there's no reason it wouldn't work fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

I was, but I didn't get the job. The last thread was a lot of money and effort, and without that big check I don't really have the time or resources to put into it.

The NA release is coming up soon, so if someone else wants to make the thread, now would be a good time.

Ahh, well that's too bad. You really went well above the call of duty with the amount of PSPs you ended up giving out in addition to the game related stuff. Pity about the job not panning out.

I actually sort of kind of prematurely started working on some "art" to enter. But it wasn't the least bit creative (or much good). If anyone's interested I can post what I'd done so far.

edit:

quote:

Since this had me just crushing every pocket of resistance, and ended with Yuzu and Midori assaulting the MC and summoning fuckin METATRON to crush me. He even gets his own battle music which is pretty loving good (and I wasn't really a fan of the OST)

Wow.

VVVV Sure. I'll just have to make it presentable. VVV

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 26, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Look on my (first) Anime works, ye Goons, and despair! Here's a picture of Lisa and a picture of Tatsuya. (Sorry it took a while, had to clean out the lawn before the coming of Irene)

Because I can't draw very well I was going to present them from the simplest angle, head on. I thought the Lisa was okay (though the hair needs some tweaking), but I can't look at Tatsuya. The hair-style is really off (and it took forever to get to where it is now) and I couldn't get the mouth to express his profound but humble sense of angst because I can't draw mouths for poo poo. I was hoping to eventually also add some Persona-based patterns to the background (that was probably beyond my scope anyway). Beyond being posters or whatever I wasn't certain what I was going to do with them. (I also have a VERY much work-in-progress Maya in profile.)

Before those I had a different thing in mind, during which I created this thing.

Yes that's Eikichi, Tatsuya and Lisa putting very little effort in cosplaying as characters from other Persona games. Please don't laugh at me, I may have been in a state of mild inebriation during it's creation.

I mostly had this in mind when I said I needed to make them presentable. It's poorly drawn and there are some stray pixels. I tried cleaning those up but the photoshop file is such a mess with so many unlabelled layers that I gave up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the kind words. I cleaned it up a bit (but it's still very washed out and the shading is really bad).

I realized I had made it 125*125 px, perhaps intentionally, but probably because I was working on an avatar when I made this. So if anyone's interested:

I had to decrease the number of colors or get rid of transparency (which really beefs up the size) to get it under 30kB. Did the latter but stuck with the reduced colors because I liked the palette.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Len posted:

At least there hasn't been a Dawn of War 2 style moment with him. Nothing like Steven J Blum and Steven J Blum joining forces to fight Steven J Blum.

Out of curiosity did the original novels ever get translated? I'm kind of curious to see how the megaten series started.

Fan translation here

I've only read the first one and it's unfortunately rather schlock-y. Gods/demons raping girls/teachers the second they enter the human world. A loner nihilistic student must see the error of his ways to save the girl he's mysteriously fallen for. Blah blah. Not really recommended, but it's a very short read. e:The connection to MT as we know it is rather tenuous - it involves summoning spirits with computers but otherwise it seems the mythos are rather unrelated. You could, however, mistake it for bad MT fanfic.

The second one is supposedly much better and the first chapter definitely hints at that. (Both books are translated at the link)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 28, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh really?

With the anime coming up I'm sorta excited at the possibility of this new game being a sequel. How much of the new audience would rush to buy a carbon copy (presumably) of the show they just watched in video game form.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The new animated cutscenes, some for old events, might be the reason there's no female PC (IF there's no female PC). I wonder if this'll make it over here for the US Vita release.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

If there was a female story, it would take at LEAST 6-8 months to localize the game. I don't know when the Vita's release date is, but even if the game were a launch title for the Japanese release, it wouldn't be a launch title for the US handheld unless the US got it half a year later.

Thanks. I take it that means you guys got DS Overclocked well ahead of time and/or was there very little to localize for the new release?

Still, really happy 'bout this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Catalina posted:

Write up on P4G Vita's features
Lifted:

* 3G and Wi-Fi support

*When you're about to die in a dungeon, you can send a message seeking help to other players. It's not specified how this system will work exactly.

Demons' Souls multiplayer interactivity in a staunchly single player SMT game seems like an odd but kinda exciting idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Famitsu, P4 Golden

Fighting game

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 31, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ha, the fighting game takes place 2 months after the events of P4, not years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is it just me or does it look like (from the video review) the game's a bit stretched to fit the 16:9 screen?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Here's a comparison.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

HD version of the recent trailer for Mayonaka Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHKTnDNOpg

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just a heads up: PSN (PSP) versions of Persona 1 and P3P are on sale this week for $20 each.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

If, for some dumb reason, some of you people have a PSP, but not P1, then you should probably buy it now then! It is the Best Persona, after all.

I'll probably get it if it eventually falls to around ten dollars. Lots of other games vying for my money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

...the only decent implementation of demon contacting...

How's it different from the P2 negotiating system?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Here's the website that launched today. There's some (very little it seems) information on the new additions to P4G (SOS button, skill inheritance etc.), but naturally all in Japanese.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thuryl posted:

All of the 8th days are going to be pretty brutal on a first playthrough; if anything, Yuzu's is still the easiest. At least it actually offers a satisfying ending for her route.

Care to spoil it? I definitely won't be getting Overclocked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Thuryl.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

Naoto is not only an unbearably bad character, she is also the most pandering, fanservicey character in... hell, all of SMT.

What do you mean by this? I skimmed over her social link because she didn't seem interesting so I might have missed out on something, but beyond hinting at her secretly being well endowed there didn't seem to be anything egregious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

She was basically put in the game for all the people who love traps or whatever, and then just to make it even creepier you can tell her to put on a school uniform.

I'm usually fairly cynical when it comes to these things, but I don't think her character was any less a standard anime archetype than most of the other characters and there wasn't anything blatantly exploitative about her. If anything Atlus tends to play around and subvert those tropes. Everything's fetishized by someone or another, and even if that's a criteria in Atlus' character design process, I didn't find anything much about her character to be objectionable. Well beyond her being a tad bit boring.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like some new games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

The three main characters are high school students, and the game takes place all over the city. Only the first scene was actually in the high school, although I haven't finished the game so I don't know if you return to it. Regardless, most of the other characters are not in high school or even teenagers.

Did you like it (the game in general)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

I don't think my opinion should sway anyone, because I only liked the original Devil Survivor enough to get one ending. I haven't played much of DS2 because there are a dozen other games I'd rather spend time on.

The designs are pretty silly, but that's japan for you.

If you liked the first one, you'll almost certainly like the second one. It's more of the same, just with new characters and new plot. I did post some of my initial impressions very early in the thread when the game came out.

I tried getting more than one ending, but eventually got bored with the repetition and mostly mindless tactics of a new game plus, since you were so overpowered from the start. Having a single save didn't help much either.

I wouldn't mind playing a new Devil Survivor, but I'm not looking forward to the prospect of the DS's tiny screen. Strange Journey was a literal eye sore, and SMT games are best played in long sessions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could someone provide some context for what this list represents?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Most the the magazine's readership probably are new generation fans, so I'm no that surprisied about the lack of P1/P2 characters (though Maya's absence in a top 20 list is rather inexcusable). What is, though, to me is the cast of P4 polling higher than P3, which was the more popular of the two in sales and merchandise. Probably the the anime's effect.
And yeah, what's with Yosuke at no. 2?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just found this in my mailbox.

No way it's Growlanser. Presumably it has to be an established brand...

GOLDEN EDITION PERSONA 4?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It's probably going to be Gungnir (or Gloria Union)

A humdrum SRPG from Sting for the PSP in 2012?! How could Atlus resist?!

Yeah, you're probably right. They've localized all the other PSP Sting games (e:the main Dept. Heaven games anyway), maybe out of a contractual obligation since Sting's Atlus owned. It would make little sense otherwise.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 13, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's pretty much certainly Gungir Gungnir.

(Or Growlanser. Not.)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RadicalR posted:

Can't seem to find anything on Gungir... What are you talking about?

Typo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hmmm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hehehe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gyoru posted:

:shepface: Atlus is trolling now. It's still Gungnir.

Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded isn't the "fourth released" title in the Growlanser series, but the IV will throw people off. The only localized Growlanser titles were Growlanser Generations (II+III together) and Growlanser V so that would make IV: OR the third release.

Gungnir is the fourth mainline game in Sting's Dept. Heaven series despite it being Episode IX. Blaze Union and Gloria Union were just spinoff games of Yggdra Union. The latest clue says "fourth release" which would be true for Gungnir when it gets released.

what if they localized both games

They'd be massive trolls if it's not Growlanser IV at this point. And it says 4th release in the series, not 4th localized release (if you really want to get technical remember half of the PSP Dept. Heaven games were ports from the DS versions, making this upcoming game the 6th or 7th(?) DH "release" here).

Hopefully they've had enough fun stretching this out as far as they have, and tomorrow we get conclusive confirmation about what this is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bwahahaha

Well done Atlus!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been contemplating the offer but I'm still waiting to find out if Atlus has their PSN sale this year again. Does anybody know how UMD and digital load times compare for the game?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

:allears: