Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
drat, SMT IV is really fun, and I'm glad that I bought it when it was on sale. I'm also glad they had the option to lower the difficulty, the initial difficulty was pretty frustrating and it gave me time to get used to how the system worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm developing a real love-hate relationship with SMT IV. Being a Samurai was cool, but playing as Tetsuo to the soundtrack of Farcry 3: Blood Dragon for the last 5 hours has been some good poo poo. But why is the world map -so bad-? :psyduck:

Seriously though, it was pretty awesome when I stepped into Shinjuku and put that sweet, sweet, Offensive Arms logo on my back. I love the atmosphere of this game.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 17, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, everyone agrees it's terrible. Use this instead:

That had better be at least somewhat accurate to real life Tokyo, or else I'll be mad for no reason.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Well at least the Japanese didn't think it was that lovely of a map then. :shepicide:

e; well if I was a TRUE SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI FAN and was a complete weeaboo and had a course and a half of half assed Rosetta Stone Japanese under my belt...

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 17, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I bought SMT IV from the eShop, is that not available in Europe?

Also it feels spoilery for me to talk about the theme changes any more than what I said.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The first song involving SMT I ever heard was Nocturne's Fiend, and I think I read a Persona 4 comic by Hiimdaisy once, but SMT IV is really my first step into this franchise. What other games from this franchise should I look into playing? What part of these games stands out as what makes them great? I'm digging through some SMT OSTs right now, and I'm really quite impressed at how progressive a lot of this music is, or at least how well aimed the theming is on the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxY4a5Aqesw is this Johnny B. Goode? :3:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I assume that that music and the Demon Fusion/gameplay is what makes SMT IV have lasting value? Because being treated to hours of romping around in TokyoI finally hit a few really tacky plot points and then it was just 'ok here's two extremes that both have clearly identifiable downsides, which one are you??????????????' and then your friends become the face of these general black/white concepts.

I find it hard to describe why I was enjoying the game less right after Reverse Hills...

It's kind of like how Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3 would have been much better movies had they just been 6 hours of Obi-wan and Anakin on cool missions doing Jedi things, instead of being force fed the "ok you've definitely had enough of this world building, here have shitloads of really bad plot".

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Law's arguments just seem janky compared to Chaos, I can see my American upbringing or societal influence doing that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Is that true in SMT IV as well? There's a few bosses like Tyrant that only resisted and had no weaknesses from what I tested, and having something besides "just bruteforce them, their health pool is probably smaller to reflect their lack of a weakness" would be nice.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It seems slightly shallow in the end, after you thoroughly grasp the battle system. However, I cannot deny that the system itself is fun to execute and use.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
+1 usually means damage, although depending on how many you have, getting another +1 will do soemtihng like lower the cost of the skill.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Plus if you're on planes enough where that is actually something to consider you're probably wealthy enough to afford the Vita in the first place.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's definitely a title I'm glad I put into my library, but yes, it did not appeal quite enough to me as a strong enough title to deserve being a console-requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hasn't Persona 3/4 been released a shitload of times now? What keeps the motivation to continue purchasing P3 over and over?