Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Devil Survivor 2 just came out in Japan, so it's going to be a while before (if ever) it comes out in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
It's only been three years since Persona 4 came out, and they've been working on Persona 5 since they finished Persona 3 Portable.

They could make Persona 4 Portable and add a bunch of new characters and things except that 1) they're working on more important games and 2) Persona 4 sold pretty drat poorly in the west.

Who knows, we could always get a spin-off game based on the cartoon somehow :anime:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Ryanbomber posted:

I could have sworn it broke Atlus sales records in the west and did mediocre in the east, but apparently it's the opposite. Can I blame the fact that it was basically the last PS2 game?

Unless 'underselling by 40,000 units' is a sales record. :(

At least P1 for PSP and P3P had strong sales, and hopefully so will P2 for PSP when it comes out here.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 3, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
My Devil Survivor 2 arrived in the mail today. I'll start playing it sometime this week.

I skimmed the manual, and yes, everyone's tits point upwards.

Coincidentally, the character designer of Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Suzuhito Yasuda, designed some costumes and weapons for Phantasy Star Portable 2 that get released later this week. Check this out if you want to get a look.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
So, true to my word, I have started Devil Survivor 2.

After you pick a name, you get to choose the gender of your Nicaea navigation guide. The graphics are a little better than the first one. I think the reason the female characters' breasts levitate is so they appear just above the text window, so you know which gender the characters are.

So, about the Nicaea... it's a website you access through your phone. It sends you a video clip of your own death before you die! How convenient. Inconveniently for you, though, it mails you and your two new friends as you're getting ready to board the train. All three of you are going to die in a horrific subway crash!

Then, an earthquake hits and the subway crashes into the waiting platform you're on, killing all three of you.

*cough*

Luck is on your side, though, as you meet your Nicaea guide and give death the middle finger. You get to fight the demon that you signed up to eat your soul when you made your Nicaea account! Well, that's fair.

After you enslave your new unholy minions, you go up to street level and find the city looking rather worse for wear, what with the fires and death and destruction and all.

That's probably enough for the story. I'll update on new game mechanics if/when I encounter them.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

saucerman posted:

And you can always tell who the bad guy is. When I saq Naoya I was like "Yup, that's the bad guy"

But... Naoya was the REAL good guy :confused:

e: wow I bolded when I meant to spoiler... :sweatdrop:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Uh I don't think it's necessary to take an obvious pro-YHVH troll seriously :rolleyes:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's weird, it doesn't come out for a couple more days.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
So far Devil Survivor 2 is completely unrelated to the first one. It's also about as fun as the first one, which for some of you means you will love it, and for me it means it's ok but I would rather be playing more PSPo2:Infinity :sweatdrop:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I would suggest saving that money and spending it on the Persona 2 PSP Arranged Sound Track when it comes out, instead.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Even if that were the case, North America would be lucky to get it, considering how poorly Persona 4 sold here.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Working for Atlus USA is nothing like working for Atlus Co., so my words are only educated guesses.

That said, I think some of you may be getting ahead of yourselves here. Try to reign in that unbridled optimism until more information is released from an official source.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

TurnipFritter posted:

they already popped their 3DS cherry with a barely improved port of Devil Survivor.

No they didn't, DS: Overclocked was developed by Atlus USA, not Atlus Co. (as if you couldn't tell by the quality of the game).

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's right, Overclocked is North America only. Devil Survivor outsold expectations in the US, and Devil Survivor 2 which just came out in Japan will be coming to the west soon.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That makes sense. It's not like the 3DS has a competitive library at the moment, so it'd be an easy sell.

I might pick up the JP version just so see how Atlus Co. localizes Atlus USA's additional content to Atlus Co.'s game.

e: it comes out September 1st in Japan, but I just remembered that the 3DS is region locked :downs: oh well, I still haven't touched Devil Survivor 2 since the first day...

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 25, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Maybe I'm completely off. I would say I was thinking of something else, but nothing else even comes close to fitting the description of that scenario :confused: so in that case, I definitely misheard someone.

At least this goes to show how far removed from the pulse of the subject I am.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rinkles posted:

Justice you weren't perhaps planning on being as crazy charitable as always and hosting an Innocent Sin contest like you did for P3P?

I was, but I didn't get the job. The last thread was a lot of money and effort, and without that big check I don't really have the time or resources to put into it.

The NA release is coming up soon, so if someone else wants to make the thread, now would be a good time.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I'd like to see it :)

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The English voice acting world doesn't exactly have a plethora of talent, so we tend to see certain people recycled again and again and again. And again and again.

And again.

I hate you, Yuri Lowenthal :argh:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I enjoyed GG and BB but I didn't like how Arc System handled the Sengoku Basara fighting game, so it's difficult for me to get excited over this. Unless they have the Persona handle like Stands, and then I think we can go hog wild :kakashi:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Policenaut posted:

I'm F5ing the usual Japanese grainy cellphone picture websites as hard as I can folks. If I get a "scan" (read: terribly photographed image) I'll post it with extreme prejudice.

Also with BIG BOLD TEXT

Funny enough, Arc is actually making another licensed anime fighting game due out this November. Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan.

I wonder how it'll turn out.

I don't know what that is, but Sengoku Basara X was kind of half-assed. Only 10 characters, and not even all of the most popular characters from the series were playable. The assist thing and assist hyper break mother fucker combos or whatever were not very useful in actual play. The deluxe edition was neat, though. Hopefully this game comes out with some sort of konamistyle package that is actually worthwhile, rather than the lackluster konamistyle Persona 4 actually had.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

tooooooo bad posted:

That doesn't seem like many characters. Hope it scrolls or something. :ohdear:

The Sengoku Basara fighting game only 10 characters, but they claimed it was so 'each one would have a more varied fighting style'. It was really disappointing in the end, especially since some of the better characters from the series were standing in the drat background watching you fight. :(

SBX only appealed to SB fans, and so there's a good chance this will only appeal to Persona fans. On the other hand, people who label themselves "serious" :rolleyes: fighting game fans wouldn't go near something like this in the first place.

Not a lot of concrete evidence to form a foundation for speculation yet, though, so it's useless to engage in wishful thinking one way or the other.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rinkles posted:

The new animated cutscenes, some for old events, might be the reason there's no female PC (IF there's no female PC). I wonder if this'll make it over here for the US Vita release.

If there was a female story, it would take at LEAST 6-8 months to localize the game. I don't know when the Vita's release date is, but even if the game were a launch title for the Japanese release, it wouldn't be a launch title for the US handheld unless the US got it half a year later.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was stuck by how she has a normal voice in the Japanese version but a somewhat robotic one in the English. I wonder why they made that decision?

How would you propose they make her sound ultra-formal without the English equivalent of 'de arimasu' at the end of every sentence?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Yeah, Persona is a franchise that doesn't have a hard enough time being taken seriously. What it really needs is an unbalanced joke of a fighting game to really drive the point home.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Baalster posted:

At least it would be fun and gain a better reputation for the series than "Robot sexual innuendo."

I know you guys are too cool to like certain aspects of the game, but those aspects are the reason they were able to remake it twice and sell nearly combined million copies. I guess it's like democracy, there always has to be some vocal minority crying out against what works for everyone else.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Yeah, it's almost like games weren't made for you personally :ironicat:

Of course, if the game has too much material 'unsuitable for a western audience' it won't be localized anyway. No use worrying about it.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It always felt like to me that SMT fans are nearly too protective of the SMT/Atlus name and deride anything that is even remotely fanservice/sexual/what have you in a lot more aggressive way.

But strangely, this is entirely unique to the western fans.

I think what gets me the most is that a lot of you have no clue how increasingly unlikely it was that this series ever came to the English-speaking world in the first place. Persona 1 was not handled well at all, only the second half of Persona 2 was released and it was still just a tiny niche title. Persona 3 sold far beyond all expectations, and then Persona 4 was another valley (in sales, not in quality).

The thing is, the games are not designed with a non-Japanese audience in mind whatsoever. Each game that comes out with more and more specialized catering makes it less and less likely that the game will be popular over here, much less make any sense.

Localizing common Japanese pop-culture phenomena that have no precedent in English is hard and pretty much all we get in return is a paycheck and endless "why did they think that was a good idea? :downswords:" on every medium of feedback.

It's depressing :(

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
re: Endorph, No one is claiming that falling back on "sex sells" is the moral high ground, but it lines the pockets and ensures that games continue to be made. :shobon:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's a good point, you'll still buy it anyway.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

tooooooo bad posted:

I assume that smug P4 protag. is pretty much how Atlus feels about people endlessly whinging on about Persona games. :smug:

Atlus Co. has absolutely no idea what western players think or want, nor do they care.

At least I feel better knowing these forums are slightly better than the ones on Atlus USA's site.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
C'mon guys, Gamespot reviews are at least as trustworthy as IGN.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The screenshots are formatted strangely, because the game itself doesn't look like that.

e: it looks like the edges of the original image were cut off, and then it was stretched.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I would just like to say that in addition to all of the complaining in this thread about actual Shin Megami games, that a little while ago here, in the Shin Megam thread, it was announced that the team who made BlazBlue would be making a Persona fighting game and people actually complained about it. A literal gift from the gods and you complained about it.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

You're not a fan if you don't try to tear down your own fandom.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Keep in mind that while Persona 3 was written over the course of three years (off and on) by just one person, Persona 4 was written in like a month almost by committee. Those sales were just too good to capitalize on.

Not that Persona 3 made much more sense, but The Answer wasn't written by the same person who wrote The Journey (if it wasn't obvious by playing it). I'm sure whatever was added to the Persona 4 remake will be 'for the fans' (Japanese fans), for better or worse. Let's just hope it gets localized in spite of Persona 4's western sales.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Devil Survivor's sales here exceeded expectation, and it was a hell of a lot less work than localizing all of the additions the Persona 4 remake will have, on a new system Atlus USA hasn't worked on before. Devil Survivor is a sure thing as far as sales precedent is concerned, while Persona 4 sold like 2/3 of its expected units.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

MelvinTheJerk posted:

First off Momomo, I disgaree with you. I think the majority of people who played P4 liked had no issues with the story. Hey, it's your opinion though.

Justice, I'm curious about your comments. I was under the impression that P4 was considered far and away the biggest commercial success of any of the SMT games considering it's very strong sales numbers.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'very strong sales numbers' then. It had half the preorders of Persona 3, and by the end of its first year it had only sold 110k units, about 40k less than was expected (and about half the number that were printed).

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
It kinda makes me worry that if the Vita doesn't take off here, if the Persona 4 remake were localized it would suffer yet again. I have no doubt that the game will sell like crazy over in Japan, but those sales don't really affect anyone here.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Armor-Piercing posted:

At the same time though, localizing the additions to P4 would be less work than localizing an entire new game, so it's a good opportunity to become more familiar with the system, right?

I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't know the first thing about programming. I don't know the extent of the new content, but I'm sure it's nothing that Atlus USA couldn't handle. Depending on how long it takes to come out, it might not even be the first game Atlus USA localizes for the Vita. If they do bring it over, I hope they pay a little more attention to bugs so we don't have the garbled, unstranslated messes while fusing certain things in the Velvet room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

Those are from VGChartz, right? I have no idea where they got those numbers from, but they appear to be completely made up. For one thing, they report that more units were sold than were actually printed. :psyduck:

I looked through the site and tried to figure out where they got their information from, but I can't find it anywhere. Atlus USA reported the sales figures back in October 2009, a year after the game came out, which you can find at several news sites.

e: lol, beaten several times :sweatdrop: