Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Doccers told me there was a seven character limit, so here was what I whipped up for him:

WHATMPG
6SPDLS1
GOGREEN
THEGIMP
CRAWLER
CONSERV
NOIRONY
4U H8RS
LO RIDR
NOT CIA
IMBLIND
68CADDY
U DWARF
COVERT
STEALTH
NULL
6X6X6
BIGBOSS
MURDERU
NCC1701
DORIFTU
CMPNS8
UNATCO
UMBRELA
TEAMRKT
COMPACT
TWINKED
MYBALLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Micromancer posted:

Doccers told me there was a seven character limit, so here was what I whipped up for him:

WHATMPG
6SPDLS1
GOGREEN
THEGIMP
CRAWLER
CONSERV
NOIRONY
4U H8RS
LO RIDR
NOT CIA
IMBLIND
68CADDY
U DWARF
COVERT
STEALTH
NULL
6X6X6
BIGBOSS
MURDERU
NCC1701
DORIFTU
CMPNS8
UNATCO
UMBRELA
TEAMRKT
COMPACT
TWINKED
MYBALLS

SURPLUS
MILSURP

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
PINZLOL
SIXPACK

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

VLOLVOS
FINLAND
GRTBELT

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Doccers posted:

That's what it weighs. Looking at the photos it looks like it should weigh a hell of a lot more than it actually does. The Shipper used to haul large wheeled vehicles for mines and so on that look a bit like that, and those used solid tires instead of pneumatic ones like normal cars do, which ads a TON of weight, too, so he assumed they were solid. (they're not)

I am amazed that that is all it weighs. My one ton dump truck which looks way smaller weighs 7640lbs and is only 2 wheel drive with a small bock chevy.

Also that truck is awesome and I'm going to echo that I thought this thread was going to be about a 240 diesel or something.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
I drove the smaller version with only 1 rear axle a few times when I did my military service. They nicknamed them "Puppy" in the military. Official name is Terrängbil 11 (Terrain car 11, yours is a 13).

Never thought I'd see one in the US.

This is the 11:

This is the beast i usually drove. The 30 which isn't a Volvo but a Scania:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Viperidae posted:

I drove the smaller version with only 1 rear axle a few times when I did my military service. They nicknamed them "Puppy" in the military. Official name is Terrängbil 11 (Terrain car 11, yours is a 13).

Never thought I'd see one in the US.

This is the 11:

This is the beast i usually drove. The 30 which isn't a Volvo but a Scania:

Yeah, the 11 (C-303) is far more common in the US, There's a few hundred of them floating around here. "Valps" and Pinzgauers are about as popular as Unimogs are out here at this point.

It's cool to see someone who drove these while in service though. :)

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Sponge! posted:

SURPLUS
MILSURP

holy crap these are good how did I miss that :/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, while looking up some other stuff, I found that http://www.rcvperformance.com makes upgraded drivetrain components for these. Bit pricey, though.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Viperidae posted:

This is the 11:

poo poo I love this camo pattern. Now I want to paint my wrangler like this instead of khaki.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

theoretically mine still has that under two different coats of paint,

but I'm going to be stripping it all down to sheetmetal and repriming/painting it and repairing a couple of minor rust spots.

First parts for the project are on order and should arrive saturday!

Will post the next chapter then. I'm photographing every step I take.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
How the _fuck_ did I miss this thread.

Also http://www.baronmargo.com/ :catdrugs:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yo Doccers, is your Volvo

(Baron's webpage is straight outta the 90s)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

Yo Doccers, is your Volvo

(Baron's webpage is straight outta the 90s)

...And a bit ambitious

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How the hell did AI miss the Baron Margo? Those cycles are a cross between pure bad rear end with 1950's futuristic styling.

Oh and that Volvo is just awesome. Like an M35 only much cooler.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
L8R H8R
CRUSHER

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Babunar posted:

L8R H8R
CRUSHER

DO LIMBO

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

FEED ME
ILUVGAS
NTABRCK
TOASTER
SENDGAS

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

destructo posted:

How the _fuck_ did I miss this thread.

Hell yes.

Live strong, Baron Margo.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Babunar posted:

L8R H8R
CRUSHER
Well, in that case I suggest CRUSHN8R.
e: Wait, I can't count and CRSHN8R sucks. :downs:

Also:
HOWIROL, because Volvo is latin for "I roll".

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Geirskogul posted:

...And a bit ambitious

I dunno, the prices don't seem out of line compared to what other artists charge for stuff, plus he's actually got talent. He must be doing something right as, according to his site, he's had a store or two since the 60s. Pretty amazing to be able to do something you love and make a living out of it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Doccers posted:

Is that an after market stereo in the lower part of the dash? And secondly... how in hell do you hear that thing driving down the road? When ever I see people driving the M35's or what ever, they usually have ear plugs in due to the shear amount of noise.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is that an after market stereo in the lower part of the dash? And secondly... how in hell do you hear that thing driving down the road? When ever I see people driving the M35's or what ever, they usually have ear plugs in due to the shear amount of noise.

Most of the .mil vehicles I've driven haven't been quiet but have been quiet enough to hear a stereo over- assuming that your TC doesn't rat you out for smuggling a boom box into the cab for that extra long convoy.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

destructo posted:

holy poo poo cooltext.com everywhere

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

License plate stuff: My Latin's a bit rusty as I haven't studied it since high school, but would "Quam Ego" be an acceptable license-plate-shorthand for Is est quam ego?

Because yeah Is est quam ego Volvo makes my inner nerd giggle.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 4, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

License plate stuff: My Latin's a bit rusty as I haven't studied it since high school, but would "Quam Ego" be an acceptable license-plate-shorthand for Is est quam ego?

My grammar's not good enough to say one way or the other, but that's loving gold. Better than my only other suggestion of"AWOLVO".

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Doccers posted:

This is even nerdier than my suggestion. I love it. :3:

(Also my latin is poo poo and I have no idea whether your idea is grammatically correct or not.)

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Very cool project. Not having a clue of latin other than various words I googled that saying. The only other instance of it that came up was this guy's posting on a volvo forum. http://www.c30world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13786

So what does that saying mean?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tindjin posted:

Very cool project. Not having a clue of latin other than various words I googled that saying. The only other instance of it that came up was this guy's posting on a volvo forum. http://www.c30world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13786

So what does that saying mean?
"Is Est Quam Ego (Volvo)"
"This is how I (roll)"

Dismount
Jul 25, 2011
Hey Doccers, since you're from Colorado, I'm going to be making a trip through there whenever I get out of this desert. I'll have my XJ that you persuaded me into buying. Maybe we can hit some trails and what-not when I come through.

Not to mention, I'd really love to see this Volvo in it's entirety lol.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Dismount posted:

I'll have my XJ ..... Maybe we can hit some trails and what-not when I come through.

XJ? Allow me to show you what came to mind when you said XJ.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Dismount posted:

Hey Doccers, since you're from Colorado, I'm going to be making a trip through there whenever I get out of this desert. I'll have my XJ that you persuaded me into buying. Maybe we can hit some trails and what-not when I come through.

Not to mention, I'd really love to see this Volvo in it's entirety lol.

Be glad to see it! My XJ is pretty stock right now, stock ride height, about 29" tires, pretty tame compared to some of my earlier ones, but this is a daily driver now.

Good luck!

Nerobro: A friend of mine restores old Jag XJ's and bought one of my old Jeep XJ's. I keep telling her to put the Jeep tires on the Jag, she hasn't listened much to my suggestion though for some strange reason.

[edit] Also, no updates this weekend, parts shipment got delayed until monday, and I'm at a standstill until then.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 5, 2011

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I'm willing to bet that the OP is single... or will be in the very near future. One cannot have a relationship and surplus military volvo offroader at the same time.

(This is a super cool project and I look forward to seeing more :allears: ).

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 6, 2011

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

commissargribb posted:

poo poo I love this camo pattern. Now I want to paint my wrangler like this instead of khaki.

Thankfully, the Swedish armed forces has a manual for every situation:

Found here (look under "M90 Cammo")

(Google Translate)

The manual contains a number of examples for different vehicles.
This is how the OP's should must be painted:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dev/null posted:

Thankfully, the Swedish armed forces has a manual for every situation:

Found here (look under "M90 Cammo")

(Google Translate)

The manual contains a number of examples for different vehicles.
This is how the OP's should must be painted:

This pattern, only in pastels so it will not offend the eye.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Part 2: Baron's Wheel of Pain and Remorse.

While getting it rolled off of the trailer, I noticed something. Actually, I noticed two things.

#1: Fucker took the stereo.

#2: holy poo poo this steering wheel was made for a god damned MIDGET. :gonk:

The combination of the higher aftermarket seats and baron's custom cast aluminum wheel, means there is FIVE INCHES less legroom under the wheel than there was stock.

I can't lift my leg high enough to hit the brake pedal without twisting sideways in the goddamn bucket seats.

This lead to a two week search for a compatible adapter or wheel, only to discover: Ain't No Such Animal!

I ordered one wheel adapter made for "All Volvo trucks with fixed steering column, 1970-current", and a wheel puller, because I couldn't find mine, and I swore I had one. The adapter arrived, and wasn't even close. It was half an inch too large at the least (sadly the photos of this and the next step were somehow lost, I'm not sure what happened to them).

I then waited anxiously for another few days for the pullers to arrive, looking all over the net and any other resource for what type of adapter should be used, to no avail.

Finally, The gear puller arrived!

Awesome. Lets get this bitch off.

(FUUUUCK PICTURE MISSING)

After measuring the shaft and getting a spline count (.84", 36 spline) I tried another couple of adapters, (21.75mm, 36 spline - used on old Volvos and Jeep CJ's!) to no avail. This is getting annoying, fast, and I'm starting to get pretty nervous about ever being able to drive this thing, or if I'll have to rip out the entire steering mechanism and start from scratch... which would mean a lot of time, and a LOT of money...

Thankfully, at this point, my engineer-in-training girlfriend (The roommate who sent back an opel ahead of her) arrived home from her trip, took one look at this monster, and pretty much split into an ear to ear grin, and before even coming into the house, wanted to look around this beast.

Not being able to drive it annoyed her as much as me I think. Instead of getting frustrated, however, she got all crazy, flipped open solidWorks and started charting out a course...

Baron? I'm sorry, but this poo poo just isn't gonna fly.

Having a machine shop is pretty loving cool.

goodnight, sweet prince! :angel:

obligatory 'I'd tap that' reference

SCIENCE, MOTHERBITCHES.

That looks better....

Aww Yea. :rock:

FINALLY. After all the annoyance of waiting for a drat wheel puller that would fit (normal ones won't work with something this old, they require two threaded holes in the wheel to pull on), which frustrated me to NO end, I can finally go test drive this bit- Wait, what's that I just saw behind the seat?

... gently caress YOU, BARON MARGO. :cry:

NEXT CHAPTER: Lets take her for a spin!

Chapter the Third: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428752&pagenumber=3#post394601538

Doccers fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 17, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ahahahahah, this thing is amazing, and baron margo is amazing, and that wheel puller picture had me laughing like a loon.

This thread is amazing in every way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lesson learnt, scour the truck for tools, they are clues to what needs working on next :v:

So, did you cut the boss off the old wheel & mount it to the new wheel?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

dev/null posted:

I really want to do a desert version of this on my wrangler.

Doccers posted:

#2: holy poo poo this steering wheel was made for a god damned MIDGET. :gonk:

you sure it's not just that the smaller military style seats were replaced with higher bucket seats and that made the steering wheel feel lower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

commissargribb posted:

I really want to do a desert version of this on my wrangler.

you sure it's not just that the smaller military style seats were replaced with higher bucket seats and that made the steering wheel feel lower?

absolutely. The standard wheel has a 3" dish. He made it a flat dish.

• Locked thread