Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Amazing! It sounds like you have the best girlfriend; Opels presage her arrival and she has machining skills; you sir are one lucky mother fucker. Can't wait for the road-test update, it looks like all sorts of crazy fun to drive!

Is that solid metal wheel as uncomfortable to hold as it looks? I've never understood the people who put massively inappropriate steering wheels in vehicles; things like those "links of chain" steering wheels, or the ubiquitous "Heavy-duty truck with tiny little race car wheel" as someone here did a thread about some months ago (a green Dodge, IIRC). Seems to fit in with a lot of other common car modifications like suspension cutting and so on; "Let's modify this car by making it worse!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Red_October_7000 posted:

Amazing! It sounds like you have the best girlfriend; Opels presage her arrival and she has machining skills; you sir are one lucky mother fucker. Can't wait for the road-test update, it looks like all sorts of crazy fun to drive!

Is that solid metal wheel as uncomfortable to hold as it looks? I've never understood the people who put massively inappropriate steering wheels in vehicles; things like those "links of chain" steering wheels, or the ubiquitous "Heavy-duty truck with tiny little race car wheel" as someone here did a thread about some months ago (a green Dodge, IIRC). Seems to fit in with a lot of other common car modifications like suspension cutting and so on; "Let's modify this car by making it worse!"

The solid metal wheel made it inoperable, period. but that's primarily due to the installation height. the wheel itself was VERY well made, just, unusable by me.

He made it workable for him, and with as short as he seems to be I can understand all the mods he made, because that cab isn't exactly highly adjustable.

Minor Update: was able to take it for a test drive but didn't get photos/video, will be getting some of it moving soon.

she smokes like a 70's lounge, but I may know the primary cause for that, we'll find out. Right now I'm at a standstill with checking fluid levels in the rear differentials, the bolts are pretty solidly siezed. taking a quick break after soaking them in WD40, then it's time for the impact wrench.

Opel-Lady is a bit sick right now, so I'm taking some time off to look after her as well (not surprising after she just finished riding a Kawasaki KLR 5,000 miles from colorado to the east coast and back).

I'm honestly impressed that, other than the mods Baron did, this thing is in amazingly good shape for it's age. I'm going to want to tear everything down and put it all back together just to get it cleaned off of the years of gunk that's built up on things, but overall I am very impressed.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

taking a quick break after soaking them in WD40, then it's time for the impact wrench.

I'm really the last person to give shop tips but are you tapping the heads with a hammer between soakings? sometimes a little pressure helps the threads shake free.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

commissargribb posted:

I'm really the last person to give shop tips but are you tapping the heads with a hammer between soakings? sometimes a little pressure helps the threads shake free.

I'm trying to be gentle first, tapping with a hammer does help but wasn't needed, they came right off after letting them soak for 20 minutes. just got back in, oil levels are fine on all diffs, oil looks clean, no signs of anything wrong with the differentials. (I didn't think there would be).

[edit] Also, there's nothing wrong with providing shop tips, and I encourage it everywhere - You never know where you can pick up an invaluable piece of information. :)

\/\/\/ See? this is very good advice, right here.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 14, 2011

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Doccers posted:

[edit] Also, there's nothing wrong with providing shop tips, and I encourage it everywhere - You never know where you can pick up an invaluable piece of information. :)

Don't weld brake cleaner.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
WD40 is garbage compared to PB. Yeah I said it, what now? :colbert:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

Grab a bottle of PB and meet me here in 30 minutes, I've got another stuck bolt.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Doccers posted:

Grab a bottle of PB and meet me here in 30 minutes, I've got another stuck bolt.

If I lived in Colorado I would. I want to work on that thing all day long.

Hell, I use PB, and then a torch for super stuck bolts.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Oh holy gently caress.

Ok I don't intend to keep posting useless updates here until I have something worth actually updating, but:

WISDOM FROM AUTOMOTIVE INSANITY:

If you receive a new vehicle, and think you have a problem with the fuel gauge not functioning,

And are able to drive it around the block once, and then are able to start it again for 45 seconds and then everything stops working and you think that the act of you changing the air filter has somehow caused a catastrophic failure somehow,

CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE THING'S NOT JUST OUT OF GAS before ripping into the engine, carbs, intake, and everything else for two hours.

:downsgun:

(holy gently caress)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All I can think of is the Price is Right losing noise.

Bum bum bum bummmmm waooooooohhhhh

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ahaha, yeah, had that one. And the "Check your monkey bastard hands didn't knock the connector off the terminal while you were working down there*" one.

I've also had the "Hmm, yeah, need to put some fuel in this thing", left the house, and then managed to make it a whole hundred yards down the road before running out. Like Smokey Yunick, only without remembering to fit the extra hose...

*That's what she said

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Doccers posted:

PB has nothing on Seafoam Deep Creep. I Live in the rust belt, trust me on this.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ratbert90 posted:

both have their places in my opinion. PB is way better than WD40 at penetrating around bolts. Places where WD40 will just sit on the surface. On the other hand, I think WD40 is better for general quick lubrication/degreasing use eg: when I first got my bestop doors the latch was stuck and WD40 fixed it with one spray.

alternate.eago posted:

PB has nothing on Seafoam Deep Creep. I Live in the rust belt, trust me on this.

Tell me more about this: I live in new england and live by PB.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 15, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

commissargribb posted:

Tell me more about this: I live in new england and live by PB.

It's like reverse loctite, it's that good. Plus, it doesn't smell nearly as bad as PB

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've been using deodorized Liquid Wrench and it seems pretty good. I didn't even know Seafoam had a penetrant - I'm gonna give it a shot now that I've killed my last bottle of Liquid Wrench on a stuck fender and knock sensor bolt.

I want a machine shop so much.

RowanAmeth
May 23, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

It's like reverse loctite, it's that good. Plus, it doesn't smell nearly as bad as PB

I dunno, to me PB Blaster smells like those orange circus peanut candies, the ones with the consistency of styrofoam. Awesome find, Doccers, I never knew that truck even existed, let alone could be had in the states.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Seafoam Deep Creep is the only thing that could get my 20 yr old seized sunroof cabled working again. I will never buy another car of PB as long as I can buy the Deep Creep. Warning, it does cost more, but it is worth every penny.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I just use both PB and the Seafoam, hasn't let me down yet and I work on some really old rusty stuff.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Red_October_7000 posted:

For inexplicable reasons I love oversize military 6x6 and 8x8 trucks, especially obscure European ones, so this thing is awesome to me. Is it as painfully slow as I imagine it to be, with only 125 HP pushing it around? Still looks like a blast to drive! Also, I must ask, do people give way more readily when you drive something like this?

Now that I've actually driven it around a bit (pics and video to be posted), I can answer this: It is pretty slow. I got it up to 55 mph, I think I can get it up to 60 or above, but that's flat out in top gear, and it doesn't feel comfortable cruising along at that speed. 45ish is where it likes to cruise from what I can tell so far. Which isn't too bad considering the original max speed was 49mph.

It needs more sound insulation between the engine and the cab (primaily in the passenger compartment I Think), as it is I think I'd go insane if I had to drive it all day at 55.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doccers posted:

I think I'd go insane if I had to drive it all day at 55.
To be fair, though, it's not really built for that, and the considerations as to comfort when doing so can be filed under "Meh, it's just squaddies".

Concentrate on the fact you can pick a direction and head in a straight line toward it, at walking pace, with the terrain involved being a point of mild interest rather than concern.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

InitialDave posted:

To be fair, though, it's not really built for that, and the considerations as to comfort when doing so can be filed under "Meh, it's just squaddies".

Concentrate on the fact you can pick a direction and head in a straight line toward it, at walking pace, with the terrain involved being a point of mild interest rather than concern.

Oh absolutely it was never built for that, I think I can turn it into something that can cruise comfortably at 55 however - that's my goal at any rate. To retain all of the off-road capability while getting it to behave a bit nicer on the interstate. I think either an overdrive or just swapping the transmission with a 5 speed is going to be a requirement however.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

Is it governed? Most US mil tactical vehicles are.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

This is the coolest thing. THE coolest thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Get an 'I can't drive 55' sticker :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

commissargribb posted:

Doccers posted:

The entire drivetrain was designed around a 120 HP engine

I'm going to go with "no".

This is going to be one gently caress of an awesome project, however.

Dismount
Jul 25, 2011

commissargribb posted:

You've also got to consider that this vehicle is pretty old, and foreign. I drive Military vehicles every day, and everything I've drove just has a throttle limiter on the throttle body. Easy by-pass.

Doccers posted:

It needs more sound insulation between the engine and the cab (primaily in the passenger compartment I Think), as it is I think I'd go insane if I had to drive it all day at 55.

Check out This for noise dampening info. There's a lot of useful information on there. I used to do Automotive Electronics, so this was part of my specialty. I've used just about all of the products they talk about over there, and they all work. It just comes down to how you want the finished product to look, how much money you want to spend, and how much time you are willing to spend doing this.

Hope this helps, good luck :-)

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

The 55 is due to the gearing. There's no limiter on it, originally the top-end top-gear speed was about 49mph, but the larger tires help with that. I'm looking into options for regearing it, so far my choices are "replace engine and transmission" and "replace differential ratios with a c303". the C303 (4wd varient) had a 5.something gear ratio whereas the 304 had a 7.1:1 ratio. Unfortunitely, the C303 being a 4wd, I'd need two sets of rear diff gears, and well, one set is going to be pricey as gently caress...

Thanks for the noise info! I'll look into it after work today.

Cakefool posted:

Get an 'I can't drive 55' sticker :D

Adding this to my queue of rotating bumper stickers. Thanks!

Doccers fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 16, 2011

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

commissargribb posted:

Ah, I was once party to a conversation about a Deuce-and-a-half that was too slow. Someone asked "Have you removed the governor yet?" -the answer came back "No, where is it?" "look under the accelerator. See that big metal bolt in the floor? Unscrew it and throw it away. You've just removed the governor." I believe in such a case you have to then be careful not to overspeed the engine, however, as that bolt also kept that from happening.

So assuming it's got a tach with an indicated redline, you should poke around for some sort of gimcrack mechanical governor that acts on the throttle linkages or the pedal itself. Of course adding an overdrive (one way or another) is probably the best solution.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

*UPDATES*

Not so many photos because it's been damned hot and most of the work has been inside the cab, which is bare metal more or less.

Last time, on "Crazy rear end truck":

We put a steering wheel on, and it works perfectly.

Was able to take it for a quick test drive around the block, and it smoked quite a bit but ran fairly well!

I had read that a common cause of smoking on deceleration on the volvo is oil in the air cleaner, so I decided to pop off the engine cover and take a closer look.

Ta-daa! (filter removed, it looked fine)

No oil in the airbox, which I found odd - not so much that it's not oily, but that the airbox is supposed to be a black plastic box at the top of the engine bay, not an aluminum cast one on the rear...

wait, whats this up here behind it?

oh dear christ

I see. This guy added a second filter box to make it easier to get to. of course, this also means he's NEVER LOOKED inside the ACTUAL airbox, which was full of oil everywhere, getting sucked directly into the carbs..

Cleaned that out, and started it up... and it ran for 45 seconds and then stalled, and nothing I did could get it running again.

what the hell could cleaning that out have done to make it stop running?

So I looked at the carbs, (strombergs) which were empty of the hydraulic dampening fluid they need. Filled those up, still nothing.

Maybe I flooded it? at this point I'm dripping sweat, it's over a hundred and ten in the cab, so I go in to rest and rehydrate.

Opel-Lady wakes up from her nap, and asks if it has gas.... why the hell didn't i check that? the gauge reads empty, but it's always read empty since we bought it, and thought it just didn't work, one of several minor electrical glitches.

Ok, go and dump a couple gallons in, crank it... nogo. Oh wait, this thing has a ridiculously long fuel line doesn't it? *crank some more- VROOM!*

Awwright.

Drove it down to the gas station and filled the 20 gallon tank, and drove it back- as I'm driving it, it gets less and less smoky. Cool!

The rear main seal is definately leaking a bit, like I was told by the owner, however it seems to have sealed up a bit better than it was, after running for a bit. My guess is the seal was dry, and now that it's been run a bit it's running a bit the seal soaked up some oil and grew back more or less to where it was supposed to be. Regardless, I intend to replace the rear main as well as look at some other things in the engine when I do a total rebuild later on.

For right now, though, I just want it running reliably for winter.

With the engine running surprisingly smooth for it's age and lack of care, I went through and checked all the fluids (oil, transmission, differentials, wheel hubs, etc), all of which looked very good. Vacuum lines are good, a few minor electrical gremins (some lights don't turn on, handbrake warning light won't turn off, etc) and the passenger front defroster doesn't pass air (bet it's just disconnected).

Good enough, time to drive it.

(video to come- having trouble getting it to up to youtube correctly)

Drove it into work today just to show it off, and it was a hit.

Taking office nerf warfare to the next level....

After work I drove it up to get it registered... only to discover that California royally hosed up the VIN number on the title, and Colorado won't transfer the title to me.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCK.

I spent 45 minutes on hold with the California DMV tonight, before their office closed and the system hung up on me.

I'm also trying to track down someone with the Colorado DMV who may be able to fix this as well, but she has no telephone number, email, or any other way to contact directly.

so for now, I have it registered in my name, I have it insured in my name, it's just the title remains signed by me but not transferred over. First the steering wheel, now the title... this road is full of unexpected bumps.

PART FOUR: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428752&pagenumber=4#post395153338

Doccers fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 4, 2011

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
You'll need to have the VIN verified, where a CHP office takes care of that.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 17, 2011

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

DJ Commie posted:

You'll need to have the VIN verified, where a CHP office takes care of that.

I did.

the problem is that the title has essentially the wrong vin.

California took the first half of the model, the middle of the wheelbase, and then the actual 4 digit VIN, and called that the VIN.

The guys at the VIN verification place in colorado took the entire model name and the 4 digit VIN as the vin, so it doesn't match.

basically california boned the gopher (gee california loving something up? I AM SHOCKED SIR, SHOCKED!) on recording the vin. And Colorado DMV's CANNOT CHANGE the last 6 digits of the vin for any reason on paperwork, so because of that, it won't match the title.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Sounds like Colorado hosed up too, here in California there is a form to ask for a new VIN, then you are issued a whole new one by the referee. Man I sure hate California too! So much. I make generalizations too!

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

DJ Commie posted:

Sounds like Colorado hosed up too, here in California there is a form to ask for a new VIN, then you are issued a whole new one by the referee. Man I sure hate California too! So much. I make generalizations too!

Are you the California police? You are so far up their butt i'm surprised they aren't paying you some kind of consulting fee. Seriously, you post some informative stuff but you need to get off California's balls and realize they make just as many lovely mistakes as everywhere else.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
True - but they don't like to A) admit they made the mistake, and B) help you fix it.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

BRICKEST

It is the brickest brick ever. Unless you're sticking with a military theme, you need to paint it brick red. Or maybe even put mortar lines on it so it looks like it's made of bricks.

I would love to see you put a modern Volvo twin cam straight 6 in it, but I'm not sure if that makes sense. The old iron 6 should last forever anyway.

You're insane, can't wait to see it.

Don't be ridiculous. You need an airbrushed "viking defeating a dragon with Ragnarok in the background", a la 70's stoner rape-van paint jobs. Who's going to criticize it?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Kibblesnbits posted:

True - but they don't like to A) admit they made the mistake, and B) help you fix it.

They admitted there MAY be a mistake, I just need to bring it into a CA DMV office to have them examine the VIN plate. :v:

What's a 1500 mile trip between friends at 11 MPG? :D

Anyways, Minor updates: Volvo is running quite well, next task is working on small problems (signal light bulb replacement, unclogging defroster ports, etc), no major work for awhile. I did take it off road but like a true idiot I managed to record it in low quality so you can't see poo poo, going to have to get it out and record in high quality this weekend. (I didn't even know my phone had two different quality modes!)

6x6 works, I didn't really get a chance to play with the lockers - the few places I thought I would get to try them, the damned thing just crawled over like it wasn't even there. The only reason 6x6 got engaged in the first place is because it auto-engages when I put it into low range. v:shobon:v

This thing is a loving unstoppable beast off-road, make no mistake about it.

Drives pretty well, I'm just getting used to dealing with having a choke (read: Doccers is an idiot and has flooded the engine multiple times) and so forth. Backing this thing up is a scary proposition, so I may have to move the video camera system up a bit in priority, just so I can see behind me.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 25, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tacotuesday posted:

Don't be ridiculous. You need an airbrushed "viking defeating a dragon with Ragnarok in the background", a la 70's stoner rape-van paint jobs. Who's going to criticize it?
"Free MREs inside".

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

Are you the California police? You are so far up their butt i'm surprised they aren't paying you some kind of consulting fee. Seriously, you post some informative stuff but you need to get off California's balls and realize they make just as many lovely mistakes as everywhere else.

Yes, they make just as many lovely mistakes as anyone else. That's my point, its always the same moronic "hurr california" same ten things from confirmation bias. Its a clerical and administrative error. Given there are more cars in California than people in the Midwest, I'd expect there would be some friction trying to manage that type of information. Its never been funny, and really it doesn't make much sense when people who don't even live here complain how its so much worse than their state with 450K people and the GDP of Fresno.

Also are you AI's moderator? I'm sure I need to listen to you about how I need to clean up my act.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Doccers posted:

They admitted there MAY be a mistake, I just need to bring it into a CA DMV office to have them examine the VIN plate. :v:

Drives pretty well, I'm just getting used to dealing with having a choke (read: Doccers is an idiot and has flooded the engine multiple times) and so forth. Backing this thing up is a scary proposition, so I may have to move the video camera system up a bit in priority, just so I can see behind me.

The key to government work is to understand exactly who to go through for certain things, and the order in which they are dealt with. Its a massively complicated system for many reasons, some "hurr govt", some the fact of running a 60+ million subscriber database with qualifying vehicle operation.

Learn to half-way the choke only on start-up, you are in a warm enough place you might just need to pump the accelerator pedal half-way twice to get some gas into the intake manifold. I've generally had luck with that, then a half-choke, then run until the gauge starts moving and then put it in all the way. Once the exhaust manfiold wamrs up the intake manifold, vaporization works better so the excess fuel isn't needed. Except in sub 50 degree weather, the two-pumps on the gas and 1/4 choke got nearly anything going.

Toucan Sam posted:

Yes, they make just as many lovely mistakes as anyone else. That's my point, its always the same moronic "hurr california" same ten things from confirmation bias. Its a clerical and administrative error. Given there are more cars in California than people in the Midwest, I'd expect there would be some friction trying to manage that type of information. Its never been funny, and really it doesn't make much sense when people who don't even live here complain how its so much worse than their state with 450K people and the GDP of Fresno Bakersfield. I try to give both the complaint and complainee equal say, so maybe you expect such a slanted view you don't get balance.

Also are you AI's moderator? I'm sure I need to listen to you about how I need to clean up my act.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Any new updates on the awesome volvo?

• Locked thread