Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

commissargribb posted:

Any new updates on the awesome volvo?

Just figured out why the defroster wasn't working on the passenger side, the entire hose was disconnected on both ends. Got that fixed, low airflow but that may just be the design. at least it's something now, (trying to get it winterized, October's not that far away).

Wiring is going to be the next fun joy, looks like someone rewired the brake lights at some point, without removing the original wiring, so there's some wires going nowhere from nowhere, and some wires going from SOMEWHERE to nowhere, going to need to print out the wiring diagram to make heads or tails of it. at least all the original volvo wiring is numbered!

[edit] and I have the original service manual, including wiring diagrams... but some things don't match up by design it looks like. I think the service manual was for the Commercially sold C303/304 series, whereas I have the Military varient. Some definite differences there...
http://classicunimogs.com/manuals/ServiceManual32.pdf

Doccers fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Doccers posted:

Wiring is going to be the next fun joy, looks like someone rewired the brake lights at some point, without removing the original wiring, so there's some wires going nowhere from nowhere, and some wires going from SOMEWHERE to nowhere, going to need to print out the wiring diagram to make heads or tails of it. at least all the original volvo wiring is numbered!

Mystery wires are the best wires! Especially when you find that half of the factory wiring was cut for no reason and you hook it back up to be surprised to find that some broken thing you needed to look in to later now works and only failed due to some moron with a pair of diagonal cutters.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
If you lived nearby, I'd totally come help out. I love .mil vehicle poo poo like this.

Doccers posted:

[edit] and I have the original service manual, including wiring diagrams... but some things don't match up by design it looks like. I think the service manual was for the Commercially sold C303/304 series, whereas I have the Military varient. Some definite differences there...
http://classicunimogs.com/manuals/ServiceManual32.pdf

I wonder if you could get a military manual for it and get it translated. If nothing, It would be a cool accessory to print out and keep in the vehicle.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

EPISODE IV: A tisket, a tasket, we'll have to make a bracket.

Hello, it's been awhile since I made a real update here, Mainly I've been fighting with the DMV's in Colorado and THE WONDERFULLY ALWAYS PROPER CALIFORNIA.

There was an issue with the way California coded the vin THE WAY VOLVO IMPROPERLY CREATED THE VIN ON THE VEHICLE, and I wasn't able to register it in Colorado due to a couple of extraMISSING zero's.

Thankfully, after a month or so of dealing with DMV's, Departments of Revenue, Audit and Compliance offices, etc, I was finally given the go-ahead to be able to register and title it.

With that out of the way, Lets get some work done!

The windows in the front cab of the truck are traditional auto glass, and nice flat pieces at that for easy replacement. the rear windows however, are actually plastic. Not thin/pliable plastic like a soft-top window on a Wrangler, but very thick solid polymer sheets. Over time, these sheets can get scratched and marred with windborn sand/dirt/etc, and then scuffed up by passengers on the inside.

Like so - and no, it's not just dirty, this is AFTER I cleaned it.

One suggestion I read to remedy this was to use a plastic polishing compound, commonly used to solve the same problem in motorcycle windshields, which are often polymer as well.

Fortunately for me, Opel Lady has a Kawasaki Concours, which has said windshield, and a bottle of polish already, and was kind enough to loan it to me.

I did half of one window, just to see how well it would work, and I can report it worked wonderfully. I failed to take a photo here for demonstration purposes, (hot/tired/wanting to get it finished), but the finished product kinda speaks for itself:

Clear as glass!

While I'm likely to replace these windows next year, I did at least want these to be functional for the winter.

Mechanically, everything is pretty well sorted. The rear main seal still needs to be replaced at some point, but I'm putting that off for next spring, as I'm still undecided if I want to keep the stock B30A, or undergo a Diesel transplant. I'm becoming more impressed with the B30A as I run it, the smoking it did initially has all but completely quit, it runs very clean and smooth at this point, and I've not had any further problems with it since I figured out the proper use of a choke.

We were able to test drive it off-road a bit, however the video was very low quality, and the rockiest section of the trail we were on didn't do much to show off it's capability: it's hard to see, but the rock we took it over would have hung up my Cherokee completely.

http://youtu.be/KTckL0U5gXw
While I'm waiting for some electrical parts to ship, I decided to attack the body bits that Baron had removed in his rocket-ship dream, starting with a gas can holder.

The body on the C303/304, is Alumizinc - Essentially, an aluminum alloy. I'm nervous to just hang a 5 gallon jerry can off the sheet metal, because aluminum is a bit weaker than say Sheet steel you normally find on a truck. Fortunately, Volvo thought of this too; there are two internal support ribs on the inside of the body just behind the spot they normally put the jerry can holder:

Couldn't get a good shot from inside

The problem is, the support ribs are sized only for the Swedish/euro sized jerry can holder, which I wasn't able to find - The US pattern is considerably closer together:

What to do?

Make a bracket.

Since there's no room on the back end of the bracket without getting silly with bends and so on, it was decided to just weld the bolts to the bracket, and put the nuts on from the other side - after cutting down the bolts to ensure they wouldn't poke into the gas can, of course.

and up she goes!

Yaaay.

Collector plates, Gas can, She's starting to look like a truck again.

Next stop? Wires! Wires everywhere!!!

Oh God.

Part the Vee http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428752&pagenumber=7#post400146732

Doccers fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 1, 2012

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Very awesome...now I want one but i imagine the best I could get would be a Aussie Bushmaster army truck...

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Which would be awesome! I rode in a Bushmaster once when I was an army cadet as a kid. Insane fun!

Great thread Doccers, I envy you guys who have time for off-roading, I enjoy hiking myself and always wanted to expand out into off-roading but I can't justify the cost of buying a vehicle for the express purpose (or the scorn/fuel cost of having a Land Rover or a Landcruiser as a daily driver).

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

DJ Commie posted:

Also are you AI's moderator? I'm sure I need to listen to you about how I need to clean up my act.

You post most of the best stuff here when it comes to anything technical and i definitely appreciate it. I was just calling attention to something you habitually do, i don't give a gently caress but i can predict your appearance on whether a comment talks poo poo about some draconian California law regarding how you are allowed to use you personal property.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This thing is sexy, I can't wait to see her done.

And Baron Mango :catdrugs: Awesome

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Bomb-Bunny posted:

Which would be awesome! I rode in a Bushmaster once when I was an army cadet as a kid. Insane fun!

Great thread Doccers, I envy you guys who have time for off-roading, I enjoy hiking myself and always wanted to expand out into off-roading but I can't justify the cost of buying a vehicle for the express purpose (or the scorn/fuel cost of having a Land Rover or a Landcruiser as a daily driver).

A truck/4x4 is a very practical thing to have up here in Colorado, what with our winters and so forth. Plus having the Rockies right in our backyard, a Jeep is kinda the state vehicle. They're everywhere up here, as are pickups, land rovers, toyota 4x4's of all makes (a lot of FJ-40's up here still), so I guess I'm a bit fortunate in that rather than being frowned on, owning a 4x4 is common, and in fact, almost expected thing up here.

Of course, something like this just takes it to the next level.

Our fuel costs, although expensive compared to a few years ago, is still ridiculously cheap compared to Europe/Australian prices, too.

And we don't pay higher registration for larger displacement engines like I've seen in other countries as well.

Then again, I have a very short commute and only fill my tank once a month - and I don't commute in the Volvo, though I have driven it into the office a few times. :)

Next summer I'm hoping that broomfield finishes the bike path that goes right next to my office, and then I can just ride to work. Healthier and then I'd start to have to look at seafoam for keeping gas stable in my Jeep between fill-ups.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

A truck/4x4 is a very practical thing to have up here in Colorado, what with our winters and so forth. Plus having the Rockies right in our backyard, a Jeep is kinda the state vehicle. They're everywhere up here, as are pickups, land rovers, toyota 4x4's of all makes (a lot of FJ-40's up here still), so I guess I'm a bit fortunate in that rather than being frowned on, owning a 4x4 is common, and in fact, almost expected thing up here.

Of course, something like this just takes it to the next level.

Our fuel costs, although expensive compared to a few years ago, is still ridiculously cheap compared to Europe/Australian prices, too.

And we don't pay higher registration for larger displacement engines like I've seen in other countries as well.

Then again, I have a very short commute and only fill my tank once a month - and I don't commute in the Volvo, though I have driven it into the office a few times. :)

Next summer I'm hoping that broomfield finishes the bike path that goes right next to my office, and then I can just ride to work. Healthier and then I'd start to have to look at seafoam for keeping gas stable in my Jeep between fill-ups.

Doccers what part of Colorado are you in?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Doccers what part of Colorado are you in?

Broomfield, kinda up by 120th and Sheridan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

Broomfield, kinda up by 120th and Sheridan.

I got my Mercedes engine and my Mercedes not far from you near Boulder

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

I got my Mercedes engine and my Mercedes not far from you near Boulder

I got to drive it through boulder a few weeks ago on the way up to left-hand. I detoured around the main area, I don't want to get lynched. :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

I got to drive it through boulder a few weeks ago on the way up to left-hand. I detoured around the main area, I don't want to get lynched. :D

Yeah I was getting VERY weird looks towing the Merc with a Dodge 3500 Cummins...

I think a couple people flipped me off.

I'll make sure to drive my M35A2 down there next spring, to really screw with them

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I was getting VERY weird looks towing the Merc with a Dodge 3500 Cummins...

I think a couple people flipped me off.

I'll make sure to drive my M35A2 down there next spring, to really screw with them

I'd love to get a photo of the Volvo next to an M35A2, just to show the size difference. This thing really isn't as big as photos make it look.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

I'd love to get a photo of the Volvo next to an M35A2, just to show the size difference. This thing really isn't as big as photos make it look.

I know their not that big, one of my friends back home has a similar model. Thing was actually pretty small.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Doccers posted:

and I don't commute in the Volvo, though I have driven it into the office a few times. :)

Is it sad that I mentally pictured this as literally as possible?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MiniFoo posted:

No, :iia: (and a completely rational leap of logic)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just can't get over how little distance there is between the two rear wheel (on the same side.) I hold an M.Sc. in Engineering, so logically I can see that there's no way anything would get wedged in there, and if it did it would pop out immediately due to the rotation. It just still looks off to me. v:shobon:v

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

MiniFoo posted:

He's got a second thread in TFR about the 40mm Bofors cannon he's restoring to mount on the top.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

MiniFoo posted:

Oddly enough that same reference has been made at the office. <Coworker> "Hey Doccers, you gonna drive that thing into the office again sometime?" <Manager> "Yeah, could you do me a favor and leave it out in the parking lot this time? that thing plays havoc with the carpets"

Bolind: the tires I have on it are really too large. Stock should be between 35 and 36 inches, these are 38's. As they still have plenty of tread, plus winter approaching where ground clearance is more important than articulation, I'm leaving them on for now, once they need replacing I'll grab some 36's.

But when you're buying 7 tires (6 plus a spare), poo poo gets expensive FAST, especially when dealing with good off-road pattern tires.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I would like to see this thread become a wheeling/camping trip where you wheel during the day and sleep in the back.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

commissargribb posted:

I would like to see this thread become a wheeling/camping trip where you wheel during the day and sleep in the back.

That's good because that's also where I'd like this to wind up at.

The rear has an insane amount of space - Opel Lady, who is a bit smaller than I am, can lay down perfectly comfortable on the raised side along the back. There's room for 4 normal sized adults to sleep behind the seats as is currently, though that will realistically shrink a bit as I add some equipment.

A rooftop or fliptop tent is likely going up top, however, but more investigation into that will come next summer when I really start the body work.

I have a lot of decisions to make before I start the body work, figuring out the balance between "RV type things I'd like to have" and "Keeping it as off-road capable as humanly possible".

The things I absolutely want in it, is an Air Conditioning unit (the southwest can get REALLY goddamn hot), a decent small quiet generator (currently looking at the Honda Eu2000), a locking cabinet in the back, and the radio gear.

I'd LOVE to have a small multi-powered RV fridge (seen some that can run on electric or propane) for food storage on long trips, but it remains to be seen if there will be room/power for that.

Anything else will depend on what type of room I'll have left, since I also want to keep the seating capacity up, and still have a good amount of storage. One optional direction I'm looking at taking is building an off-road capable trailer to act as a support base for Opel Lady's KLR Dual-sport motorcycle. Someplace to store spare parts, a small hoist for lifting it off the ground to do repair work, etc. I don't ride motorbikes, I just don't feel comfortable doing so, but it's nice to be able to do things together, so this is my way of shouldering in on that. *chuckle*

The trailer can be just detached if I want to do some serious wheeling, and if we're just doing a long trip/tour, we'd leave it at home unless she'd rather have the bike with her as well.

But that's it's own project that we're not going to start until after the truck is pretty much done.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Beautiful ride, can't add much more than what's already been said. When you talk about wheeling and camping though, my mind starts wandering about sleeping arrangements. Is there any way to bolt chains to the steel ribs and have a fold-down wooden platform for a make-shift cot (extra points for using military surplus mattresses)? That would be beyond awesome, IMO. Don't even get me started with the prospect of a bunk bed layout.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Francis Baconator posted:

Beautiful ride, can't add much more than what's already been said. When you talk about wheeling and camping though, my mind starts wandering about sleeping arrangements. Is there any way to bolt chains to the steel ribs and have a fold-down wooden platform for a make-shift cot (extra points for using military surplus mattresses)? That would be beyond awesome, IMO. Don't even get me started with the prospect of a bunk bed layout.

Kinda, but that's not a very efficient use of the space, we're likely just going to set up a few bench seats along the side that fold down flat to make a level cargo area all the way across that you can sleep on. Also, there's four internal swiveling support mounts inside that can easily support hammocks. :D

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

The things I absolutely want in it, is an Air Conditioning unit (the southwest can get REALLY goddamn hot),

I lived in New Mexico for almost 6 years. Have you considered an evap cooler? You can practically MAKE one as they are very simple and pretty much just run on filtered water.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

commissargribb posted:

I lived in New Mexico for almost 6 years. Have you considered an evap cooler? You can practically MAKE one as they are very simple and pretty much just run on filtered water.

I considered that until we had a month of 90+ degree days at 90+% humidity this year. (yeah I know, very strange, but, gently caress)

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

I considered that until we had a month of 90+ degree days at 90+% humidity this year. (yeah I know, very strange, but, gently caress)

poo poo!

I'd still consider a dual system for days with low humidity. An evap cooler uses far less juice than an AC system which I would imagine is important when the vehicle is not moving and you're not pulling alternator power.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

commissargribb posted:

poo poo!

I'd still consider a dual system for days with low humidity. An evap cooler uses far less juice than an AC system which I would imagine is important when the vehicle is not moving and you're not pulling alternator power.

for days with low humidity just pop the front windshield open a bit. Get going about 10 MPH and HOLY gently caress AIRFLOW

And yeah, for "stopped and camped", I'm sure I could just bring along a simple portable evap cooler from Home Depot, but that's extra room. I'm kinda looking at this right now:
http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/AirConditioners-Ventilators/product/?productdataid=83879
combine this with a few simple fans and that should do the trick well enough. I'm not a pretty little princess that needs everything to be a crisp 72 degrees at all times, I'm just looking for something to take the edge off of 99 degree/99% humidity days.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 4, 2011

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

for days with low humidity just pop the front windshield open a bit. Get going about 10 MPH and HOLY gently caress AIRFLOW

And yeah, for "stopped and camped", I'm sure I could just bring along a simple portable evap cooler from Home Depot, but that's extra room. I'm kinda looking at this right now:
http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/AirConditioners-Ventilators/product/?productdataid=83879
combine this with a few simple fans and that should do the trick well enough. I'm not a pretty little princess that needs everything to be a crisp 72 degrees at all times, I'm just looking for something to take the edge off of 99 degree/99% humidity days.

Paint the housing green and I think you're set ;)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's Swedish, it's meant to be a sauna.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

InitialDave posted:

It's Swedish, it's meant to be a sauna.

And that's why I'm using wood paneling for the interior!

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
No offense to my fellow Goons, but it seems to me that putting an evaporative cooler in a motor vehicle is a bloody stupid idea. I've known people who have them in their houses and the humidity they create makes everything rust, which is the last thing you want to invite in a car, zinc alloy bodywork or not. Real A/C is probably the best way to go here.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Red_October_7000 posted:

No offense to my fellow Goons, but it seems to me that putting an evaporative cooler in a motor vehicle is a bloody stupid idea. I've known people who have them in their houses and the humidity they create makes everything rust, which is the last thing you want to invite in a car, zinc alloy bodywork or not. Real A/C is probably the best way to go here.

Never had this problem living in New Mexico. I guess it depends on the climate you live in.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Red_October_7000 posted:

EVAP coolers are on just about every camper and conversion van you see.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Ozmiander posted:

EVAP coolers are on just about every camper and conversion van you see.

If I had the space, I'd do both, but space is going to be at a premium for everything I want to do.

It really isn't as big as it appears in photos, it's just very tall with drat near two feet of ground clearance.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Doccers posted:

If I had the space, I'd do both, but space is going to be at a premium for everything I want to do.

It really isn't as big as it appears in photos, it's just very tall with drat near two feet of ground clearance.

If i get the megataxrefund i think i'm getting, i'll get an M725 just to show up your commie rear end <3

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Ozmiander posted:

If i get the megataxrefund i think i'm getting, i'll get an M725 just to show up your commie rear end <3

that's Socialist rear end. :v:

Iz Svedish.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Doccers posted:

that's Socialist rear end. :v:

Iz Svedish.

Pfft, it's not 'murican, so it's commie junk. *spits tobaccey* :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU