Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

My bro is out there with TC and told me they offered him $700 a day to not go on leave but he said eff that noise. He's going to Vietnam to shoot a cow with an ak-47 for 20 bucks.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 03:01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Rrail posted:

I consider it quitting if you go on R&R. I'll be here like 230 straight days this rotation.

Most awesome thing about my contract, we get paid when we are home on leave. Thanks to some fancy lawyering by a couple guys stranded at home, we get the full amount. I am sticking around for a bit of bonus cash for a few weeks, but then I am going to sit on my rear end and get paid as long as this visa thing gets dragged out (forever)

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3452 days!

Go ahead and send me the details on that immediately.

Edit: I would bet any amount of money that isn't true. If your company is being forced to pay that they will fold within the month and I know there's no way that HTP is paying it.

Rrail fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 03:45

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Rrail posted:

Go ahead and send me the details on that immediately.

Edit: I would bet any amount of money that isn't true. If your company is being forced to pay that they will fold within the month and I know there's no way that HTP is paying it.

I guess the reason it is working is that state is paying the company as though the people were here, since it is nobody's fault that they can't get back into country. I can assure you though that it is true, as a few dudes I know have been home for almost 3 months, getting paid. I just hope that it keeps up after I leave.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

ReverendCode posted:

I guess the reason it is working is that state is paying the company as though the people were here, since it is nobody's fault that they can't get back into country. I can assure you though that it is true, as a few dudes I know have been home for almost 3 months, getting paid. I just hope that it keeps up after I leave.

Oh, on your contract were you getting paid while on leave normally?

Rrail fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 12:06

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Rrail posted:

Oh, on your contract were you getting paid while on leave normally?

yeah. one of the perks of this contract.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

They are absolutely going to fire everyone on leave at some point in the near future if it's costing the company or State money.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Wow. Good money for linguists... on CL too, which I find kind of ironic.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/gov/2889968871.html

xaarman fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2012 around 01:36

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

One of our 'terps never graduated from high school so seeing them looking through clearancejobs.com is unlikely. A lot of the guys they go after are refuge immigrant types who have no real education.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

I will regard the Raider question as solved only after the very last W has left their record. After the very last fan has left the continent.

I'm about to read this whole thread, but I wanted to make a post first to get some general information about my options when I finish. I joined the Army straight out of high school on an airborne ranger infantry contract in '07. I went through all the training and graduated R.I.P. in a class of <50 that started with over 200. I got into some legal trouble (kid stuff) after graduation and ended up getting my orders to 1st Bat revoked, and was sent to the 25th ID's airborne brigade in AK. Served as a driver, .50 cal gunner, and 249 gunner throughout my time there in a heavy weapons company. I lost a little bit of hearing in the summer of '08 at NTC training and was flagged for our deployment the following February as a result. My hearing isn't that bad, and my 1SG and squad leader stayed behind to try and lobby for me at my med board, because it was legitimately pretty ridiculous. The whole thing blew up into POG-office politics and really solidified that I was not going to stay in the Army. I got recommended for reclass, and I picked 25B because I liked the idea of the exit opps.

Turned out when I got to Ft. Gordon that in order to be admitted into school, you have to have over 3 years time in service left. I had less than 2, and under no circumstances was I re-upping to be a POG. JAG informed me that this made my enlistment erroneous because the counselor in 4/25 had sent me to an AIT I wasn't eligible for, and that I had the right to get out. I chose to exercise that, and apparently, this stepped on the toes of the counselors at my Signal Training Battalion. They went on this huge ego trip where they thought I was quitting because I couldn't hack it and just pretended I didn't exist. After a year of sitting in limbo and multiple, fruitless trips to JAG and IG without attending a single day of training, I decided to take the General Discharge and move on with my life rather than keep up the Mexican standoff with people who write in their own PT test results.

I'm really interested in going to school for finance, and I'm applying this fall, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss being in an actual unit with my kind of people. My biggest concerns are the medical profile for hearing I received in regards to passing a physical for a PSD contract, my criminal record (just 2 misdemeanors, but I've heard PMC's are more vigilant on that then the military, which sounds questionable to me), and having the general discharge for the reasons above. Should I just focus on getting things set for school and write off PSD work as a pipe dream, or is it worth my time to do some networking and get my resume out there? The fire in my gut is still there, as convenient as it would be if it wasn't.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2012 around 20:37

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I'm about to read this whole thread, but I wanted to make a post first to get some general information about my options when I finish. I joined the Army straight out of high school on an airborne ranger infantry contract in '07. I went through all the training and graduated R.I.P. in a class of <50 that started with over 200. I got into some legal trouble (kid stuff) after graduation and ended up getting my orders to 1st Bat revoked, and was sent to the 25th ID's airborne brigade in AK. Served as a driver, .50 cal gunner, and 249 gunner throughout my time there in a heavy weapons company. I lost a little bit of hearing in the summer of '08 at NTC training and was flagged for our deployment the following February as a result. My hearing isn't that bad, and my 1SG and squad leader stayed behind to try and lobby for me at my med board, because it was legitimately pretty ridiculous. The whole thing blew up into POG-office politics and really solidified that I was not going to stay in the Army. I got recommended for reclass, and I picked 25B because I liked the idea of the exit opps.

Turned out when I got to Ft. Gordon that in order to be admitted into school, you have to have over 3 years time in service left. I had less than 2, and under no circumstances was I re-upping to be a POG. JAG informed me that this made my enlistment erroneous because the counselor in 4/25 had sent me to an AIT I wasn't eligible for, and that I had the right to get out. I chose to exercise that, and apparently, this stepped on the toes of the counselors at my Signal Training Battalion. They went on this huge ego trip where they thought I was quitting because I couldn't hack it and just pretended I didn't exist. After a year of sitting in limbo and multiple, fruitless trips to JAG and IG without attending a single day of training, I decided to take the General Discharge and move on with my life rather than keep up the Mexican standoff with people who write in their own PT test results.

I'm really interested in going to school for finance, and I'm applying this fall, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss being in an actual unit with my kind of people. My biggest concerns are the medical profile for hearing I received in regards to passing a physical for a PSD contract, my criminal record (just 2 misdemeanors, but I've heard PMC's are more vigilant on that then the military, which sounds questionable to me), and having the general discharge for the reasons above. Should I just focus on getting things set for school and write off PSD work as a pipe dream, or is it worth my time to do some networking and get my resume out there? The fire in my gut is still there, as convenient as it would be if it wasn't.

The disability will not be a hindrance to getting on a contract, I am 60% disabled through the VA and I am in Iraq right now. the record probably won't hurt too badly, depending on what they are, and who the investigator would be.

However, unless I missed it somewhere, you don't have any deployments to a combat zone, that is going to hurt you. By "hurt you" I mean make you ineligible to work on a WPS contract, since operational experience is a prerequisite to even get looked at.

You may be able to get some work on some sort of contract, but it won't be a shooter position, unless people get really desperate.

On a personal note, you should work on your writing style some, your entire post makes me think of the dudes who couldn't do anything right, and spent most of their time blaming everyone in the world except for themselves for all of their failings. I am not saying that is true, but the tone of your writing makes me think of every private with an entitlement complex that i wanted to choke the poo poo out of when I was in, and not someone I would want to work with.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bringing the promise of joy and fulfillment in its most primitive form

I'm doing some research for a fictional book I'm writing, and one of the characters is a contractor. I'm curious, when you guys get shipped out, do you fly standard commercial? Do you get your passport stamped showing where you came in?

I like the idea of someone seizing this guys passport with a bunch of Iraq and Afghanistan stamps, but I figure he wouldn't have them a) because those are tourist visas and b) I'm guessing thats pretty unsafe and a bad practice in general.

Is your passport in any way marked up when you are hired overseas?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2012 around 13:44

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

I will regard the Raider question as solved only after the very last W has left their record. After the very last fan has left the continent.

ReverendCode posted:

The disability will not be a hindrance to getting on a contract, I am 60% disabled through the VA and I am in Iraq right now. the record probably won't hurt too badly, depending on what they are, and who the investigator would be.

However, unless I missed it somewhere, you don't have any deployments to a combat zone, that is going to hurt you. By "hurt you" I mean make you ineligible to work on a WPS contract, since operational experience is a prerequisite to even get looked at.

You may be able to get some work on some sort of contract, but it won't be a shooter position, unless people get really desperate.

On a personal note, you should work on your writing style some, your entire post makes me think of the dudes who couldn't do anything right, and spent most of their time blaming everyone in the world except for themselves for all of their failings. I am not saying that is true, but the tone of your writing makes me think of every private with an entitlement complex that i wanted to choke the poo poo out of when I was in, and not someone I would want to work with.

I don't suppose there's any hope in starting off somewhere lower tier like static security and gradually working your way over to the shooter side? From what I've seen in this thread, I don't see any contract paths that may lead to relevant experience that would get me a WPS contract in the future. I'm guessing that's unheard of. All I really bring to the table that might give me an edge over a few other applicants is the fact I passed R.I.P., and having a lot of heavy weapon specific training, and I figure that won't get me far. Even with the guy in SA-Mart helping with my resume.

There's still more money to be made at static security or some other non-PSD work than at my current job, so I'm thinking it's worth a shot to help get financially prepared for college.

I could see how you got that impression, but I'm the type that puts my head down and keeps my opinions to myself. The last bit of my career left a very bad taste in my mouth, but I fit in well and was happy with where I was at in my infantry units before my med board.

Edit: I got out of the Army on March 10, 2010....It is now March 14, 2012. Impeccable timing. So much for my security clearance.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2012 around 16:53

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

Yah you can do that, go work on KBOSS or something.

And don't worry man, the military isn't a pleasant memory for most of us. It's a soul crushing institution manned heavily by America's refuse.

Rrail fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2012 around 15:01

white privilege
Jun 22, 2005

fighting to keep our blood pure

what the gently caress is going on here in afghanistan lately poo poo is getting crazy

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

NOT WORTH IT NOW IS IT BITCH

white privilege
Jun 22, 2005

fighting to keep our blood pure

Rrail posted:

NOT WORTH IT NOW IS IT BITCH

as long as I keep getting paid (and I stay alive) it is totally worth it. If one of those 2 things changes, then no it will not be

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

Try not to burn any Qurans or commit any massacres. I know you are pre-traumatized by the military-industrial complex but yah, try not to.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Just making my rounds, I know some of you guys have exposure to the State/DS side of things and would fare pretty well at this gig. SO for what it's worth:

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/

quote:

The Special Agent application period is expected to open on March 16th and close on March 30th. Please check back periodically for updates.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Goddamnit Homie, you keep beating me to it.

quote:

UNCLASSIFIED STATE 00025237
VZCZCXYZ0000
RR RUEHWEB
DE RUEHC #5237 0742313
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 142313Z MAR 12
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO ALL DIPLOMATIC AND CONSULAR POSTS COLLECTIVE
RUEHTRO/AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI 2372
BT
UNCLAS STATE 025237

E.O. 13526: N/A
TAGS: APER, AMGT, KSEP
SUBJECT: VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT - FOREIGN SERVICE
DIPLOMATIC SECURITY SPECIAL AGENT

1. This is to alert posts that a vacancy announcement
for Foreign Service Diplomatic Security Special Agents
will open on March 16, 2012. It will close on March 30,
2012. The announcement is available on
http://www.careers.state.gov.

2. MINIMIZE CONSIDERED.
CLINTON
BT

South
Apr 9, 2001
I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm doing some research for a fictional book I'm writing, and one of the characters is a contractor. I'm curious, when you guys get shipped out, do you fly standard commercial? Do you get your passport stamped showing where you came in?

I like the idea of someone seizing this guys passport with a bunch of Iraq and Afghanistan stamps, but I figure he wouldn't have them a) because those are tourist visas and b) I'm guessing thats pretty unsafe and a bad practice in general.

Is your passport in any way marked up when you are hired overseas?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Depends on what company you work for. Some of them fly into Iraq on charter and commercial flights and others ride with the military. I have five pages in my passport full of stamps from Iraq and Dubai.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

I've flown all 3. Back in the day contractors even used to ride into country on military aircraft used illegally by paying the pilots off to fly into Kuwait to pick them up. Just handed them envelopes full of cash.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

just spent a few days at Qalaa near ISAF HQ, that place is so fuckin nice it is surreal. ISAF HQ had real fuckin plates and the cooks there put real food on the plates.

Deathy McDeath
Apr 28, 2002

Always hungry.
Always watching.
Chowdown

Those of you in the know: Probably seperating from the service this year. 9 years as an Intel Analyst. Current TS/SCI. Tell me where the best paying/most dangerous jobs are.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

Hey idiot I thought the deal was you were going to come be with me.

Deathy McDeath
Apr 28, 2002

Always hungry.
Always watching.
Chowdown

Well, Iraq isn't issuing work visas any more, are they? Kinda makes it difficult. Besides, with you working for Blackwater and all I dont think I want that kind of association.

Just kidding buddy I still ♥ you

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

It's exactly the kind of association you want.

I think Iraq will start issuing visas before NINE MONTHS FROM NOW or whatever.

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Those of you in the know: Probably seperating from the service this year. 9 years as an Intel Analyst. Current TS/SCI. Tell me where the best paying/most dangerous jobs are.

Geez Deathy finally, I don't know how any of you dudes reenlisted with the basically guaranteed fat rear end paycheck

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Worth it

piss boner posted:

just spent a few days at Qalaa near ISAF HQ, that place is so fuckin nice it is surreal. ISAF HQ had real fuckin plates and the cooks there put real food on the plates.

All the bases in Kabul except KAIA are amazingly nice. Most of them are run by state or are satellite bases for ISAF HQ or have a huge SF population. KAIA sucks balls though. I put it third worst behind KAF and BAF, in that order.

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010

I have a few questions about contracting jobs. I have 19 months left (and 8.5 years served so far), so is it too early to start searching and applying? I figure I'll go ahead and start building my resume, but this far out can I really do anything?

Also, I'd like to be home with my family, so I'd prefer a job where I'm not overseas half the time. Preferably in the fort drum/watertown or fort carson/colorado springs area, if possible. My wife and I would like to stay in one of those areas.

For the record, I'm a 35P (linguist), trained in Korean and Persian-Farsi, although I'm just mediocre in both languages. I have a TS/SCI clearance, and both tactical (LLVI) and strategic (RSOC) experience.

Can anyone give me some tips on finding jobs, even just entry level ones in specific areas? (drum and carson) I'd appreciate the help. And most importantly, I don't really care what I do. Seriously, I'll mow the lawn if it pays more than the military and has some good benefits. You guys talking about 100K/year is blowing my mind, I'd be happy with half that!

edit: it's frustrating, because I've been searching for jobs, but the nature of my mos is very specialized, and I can't seem to find anything fitting.

bloodpuke fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2012 around 04:03

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

If you can improve your Persian-Farsi you can probably pull 250k+ in Afghanistan.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

so, my flight home got shifted. What is there fun to do in Dubai for 5 hours at night?
(other than hookers)

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010

Rrail posted:

If you can improve your Persian-Farsi you can probably pull 250k+ in Afghanistan.

The problem with that is that my wife and I are going to have a child soon, and I'd like to be home for my crotch dropling. If I'm wanting to stay stateside, is contracting not the best path?

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010

ReverendCode posted:

so, my flight home got shifted. What is there fun to do in Dubai for 5 hours at night?
(other than hookers)

multiple hookers

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003
Probation

ReverendCode posted:

(other than hookers)

Go bang whores like everyone else does. Go get shitfaced like everyone else does. We never have more than 5 hours on the ground there on the way out and everyone still manages to get absolutely loving shithoused every time anyways.

You flying into Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Rrail posted:

I think Iraq will start issuing visas before NINE MONTHS FROM NOW or whatever.

Ahahahahahaha

No.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Rrail posted:

Go bang whores like everyone else does. Go get shitfaced like everyone else does. We never have more than 5 hours on the ground there on the way out and everyone still manages to get absolutely loving shithoused every time anyways.

You flying into Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Dubai, I am going to do my best to get at least a shot or two down before my plane leaves Basra, so I am sure the drinking will continue once I land. as long as I don't miss my connection I am good.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

bloodpuke posted:

I have a few questions about contracting jobs. I have 19 months left (and 8.5 years served so far), so is it too early to start searching and applying? I figure I'll go ahead and start building my resume, but this far out can I really do anything?

Also, I'd like to be home with my family, so I'd prefer a job where I'm not overseas half the time. Preferably in the fort drum/watertown or fort carson/colorado springs area, if possible. My wife and I would like to stay in one of those areas.

For the record, I'm a 35P (linguist), trained in Korean and Persian-Farsi, although I'm just mediocre in both languages. I have a TS/SCI clearance, and both tactical (LLVI) and strategic (RSOC) experience.

Can anyone give me some tips on finding jobs, even just entry level ones in specific areas? (drum and carson) I'd appreciate the help. And most importantly, I don't really care what I do. Seriously, I'll mow the lawn if it pays more than the military and has some good benefits. You guys talking about 100K/year is blowing my mind, I'd be happy with half that!

edit: it's frustrating, because I've been searching for jobs, but the nature of my mos is very specialized, and I can't seem to find anything fitting.

Focus on the second half of your skill set, the LLVI and RSOC experience. If you have any experience leading a group of people considering putting yourself in as a manager role. You already don't have the job, so you loose nothing by trying.

The problem is you might be looking at the DC area for your skill set as a linguist, ie

http://careers.boozallen.com/job/Mc...-22101/1744775/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bringing the promise of joy and fulfillment in its most primitive form

Thanks for the visa responses, South and Rrail. Appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Thanks for the visa responses, South and Rrail. Appreciate it.

Do look at Diplomaticus' response.

«33 »