Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nice. Last week I got to watch Evo while at work and this week speed runs.

One of the few perks of being night shift system admin is that theres nobody around to hassle you about watching stuff on the other monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

On the subject of breaking games in half, there's also this Zelda 2 run.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Shame they don't have a better way to play the handheld games than using a camcorder.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
If we're talking about amazingly glitched speedruns then I've got to mention the recently released glitched Chrono Trigger run. Heavy abuse of some glitches that let the player edit parts of memory makes this run over four hours faster than the previous Chrono Trigger TAS.

This is a regular start (not new game+) that beats the game in under 22 minutes.
Youtube The TAS page for it

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Rocketlex posted:

One of my favorite TAS videos has got to be this run, which breaks the original NES Mega Man completely in half.

The whole this abuses every possible glitch in the game, but poo poo really gets real in Bombman's stage. After that, the slow decent into absolute madness begins, with stages less and less resembling their original versions. As a grand finale, Dr. Wily is defeated in just two shots (using a pretty cheap and obvious trick, but whatever).

One of the authors of this uploaded a video of him breaking the game even harder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MJKMxr9DI

Not sure what he plans on using this for, yet...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The sheer amount of neon motion blur in the DS runs is eye-raping.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zaodai posted:

The sheer amount of neon motion blur in the DS runs is eye-raping.

You talking about the trails the characters leave behind or the ghosting from the camcorder? If it's the former PoR happily gets rid of them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mostly the ghosting from the camcorder. I've played enough of the newer Castlevania games to be used to the little speed-dash images, but the room transitions and stuff where horrible because of the camera.

Or at least they were for me. I'm not watching this on my home computer so it may be due to crappy video processing on this machine.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I expected some delay so I set my alarm for 7 to watch the Dynamite Headdy race, only to find that it had been going on for 15 minutes already, almost exactly on schedule :stare: really impressive scheduling.

Also I donated $10 because holy gently caress I want that Trouble Bruin plushie. -edit: ANTHONYYYYY :argh:

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 5, 2011

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Anybody else having trouble getting the stream to go? JustinTV just hits me with the ad then perpetual loading. It isn't even loading the chat :smith:

*edit*
Opera poo poo a brick with JustinTV or something, installed FF w/ adblock and at least the chat is working. Still working on the stream

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 5, 2011

duckfist
May 27, 2006

buster science
Feel free to check out the Rayman 2 race going on now for an intelligent, informative lesson on linguistics.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm having much better luck with the stream today. It's Kirby hour.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
When I get home from work I'm going to place the first donation for Minish Cap Link to be named Lunk.

Dear goons please rally support with me for no reason other than Lunk is an awesome name, Lunk coming pretty close last marathon to being the OoT name, and bidding wars where all the money ends up going to charity are great. It felt amazing last year seeing all these donations coming in just to upset the leads. Competition is good for these things. (But don't donate for non Lunk names :argh: )

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Dos posted:

When I get home from work I'm going to place the first donation for Minish Cap Link to be named Lunk.

Dear goons please rally support with me for no reason other than Lunk is an awesome name, Lunk coming pretty close last marathon to being the OoT name, and bidding wars where all the money ends up going to charity are great. It felt amazing last year seeing all these donations coming in just to upset the leads. Competition is good for these things. (But don't donate for non Lunk names :argh: )

You might want to donate for LTTP, someone donated $200 to a Minish Cap name yesterday that looks like it's not gonna get beaten.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

How do you donate towards something specific? The ChipIn link just took me straight to Paypal.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

uPen posted:

You might want to donate for LTTP, someone donated $200 to a Minish Cap name yesterday that looks like it's not gonna get beaten.

Just got home and noticed this.

Let's go with LTTP then! The four character limit puts LUNK in our favor anyway.

Last marathon though there were people making triple digit donations for Lunk and Mom towards the end. I kind of felt bad since I think in total I only put in about $50.

SnafuAl posted:

How do you donate towards something specific? The ChipIn link just took me straight to Paypal.

After you click to pay there's a link to Chipin to leave a comment and view receipt, this is where you say what you want the money to go to.

:siren: I'm trying to get a goon rush of donations for the Link to the Past filename being LUNK :siren:

Please donate! Even if you don't donate for Lunk (but you totally should since you're donating anyways)

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 6, 2011

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Goddamn, final cave of Cave Story without taking a single hit.

Lunk is not doing so hot :(

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
So Riven caused their computer to repeatedly lock up, and InsipidMuckyWater got in a car accident on the way to Utah (thank god he's fine), but Toejam and Earl is getting cut as a result. I was legitimately pumped for both :sigh: oh well, there's still Quake II for tonight.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

furry drum circle posted:

So Riven caused their computer to repeatedly lock up, and InsipidMuckyWater got in a car accident on the way to Utah (thank god he's fine), but Toejam and Earl is getting cut as a result. I was legitimately pumped for both :sigh: oh well, there's still Quake II for tonight.

Fuuuuuuck TJ&E was the one I was looking forward to most! Glad to hear he's okay, but the cut is a bummer, too.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010
tj&e2 is a lot better ;-D

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

They just had an amazing 36 minute Quake 2 run and Portal is up next.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Former Human posted:

They just had an amazing 36 minute Quake 2 run and Portal is up next.

It was delicious.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Lunk is only $32 behind! Minish cap is up next and that's the last time to donate towards it!

Edit: I have no idea who it was (or if it was even a goon) that donated several hundred dollars towards LUNK but thank you so much!

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 6, 2011

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Zereth posted:

On the subject of breaking games in half, there's also this Zelda 2 run.

I haven't watched a ton of speed runs, but this was always my favorite due to both the sheer insanity of how fast it is and how it utterly ignores the actual rules of the game. Link's all, "Walls? Side scrolling physics? No thanks!" It's like he's quantum tunneling everywhere or something.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Kingdom Hearts vs. Kingdom Hearts 2 bidding war got fierce in a hurry. :stare:

Thanks to that, though, the marathon passed its $15k goal!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
New bidding war: Is it called a chicken patty or chicken burger? :laffo:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Super Metroid 100% race is starting soon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Insane run by Dessy, goddamn.

Time to tune out now, though.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Kyrosiris posted:

Insane run by Dessy, goddamn.

Time to tune out now, though.

Metroid was awesome, but speedruns of rpg games aren't my thing, so I'll be tuning out as well now.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
They just hit 20k in donations! :toot:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The two KH2 runners finished literally seconds apart :aaaaa:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rashomon posted:

I haven't watched a ton of speed runs, but this was always my favorite due to both the sheer insanity of how fast it is and how it utterly ignores the actual rules of the game. Link's all, "Walls? Side scrolling physics? No thanks!" It's like he's quantum tunneling everywhere or something.

Not to mention "this exit goes there? Nah, I'd rather be on the other side of the map."

Here's another "gently caress how the game is supposed to be played" run, of Portrait of Ruin. A bit less incoherent, but still crazy. (Fewer giant holes in the programming to exploit through on later hardware than the NES, I suppose.)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
So the final tally for those who weren't watching was just over $21k when you factor in the cash box we had on site. Quite a nice sum.

However, neither of the DVRs recorded a single frame of gameplay. 60 hours of black on both of them. That's what I get for not checking the cables myself. We still have the xsplit recordings, so we can trim and upload those, but goddammit. :suicide:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

UraniumAnchor posted:

So the final tally for those who weren't watching was just over $21k when you factor in the cash box we had on site. Quite a nice sum.

However, neither of the DVRs recorded a single frame of gameplay. 60 hours of black on both of them. That's what I get for not checking the cables myself. We still have the xsplit recordings, so we can trim and upload those, but goddammit. :suicide:

No one thought to do a simple test check? :psyduck:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

UraniumAnchor posted:

Wow, that sucks. That's one of those things where you just have to laugh at yourself then shrug it off and make the best of what you got. I imagine it's a mistake you guys won't make next time, so there's that at least.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Wow, that sucks. That's one of those things where you just have to laugh at yourself then shrug it off and make the best of what you got. I imagine it's a mistake you guys won't make next time, so there's that at least.

It's not the first time. :ssh:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Oh man, I didn't even know this was going on. I loved the last marathon though, and I would watched the hell out of it (also donate) had I known about it. Guess that's what I get for not paying attention to the speedrun thread for a few months. :(

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zereth posted:

Not to mention "this exit goes there? Nah, I'd rather be on the other side of the map."

Here's another "gently caress how the game is supposed to be played" run, of Portrait of Ruin. A bit less incoherent, but still crazy. (Fewer giant holes in the programming to exploit through on later hardware than the NES, I suppose.)

This run of Harmony of Dissonance is pretty similar but much shorter.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

jonjonaug posted:

This run of Harmony of Dissonance is pretty similar but much shorter.

For the record, this TAS has been beaten by a 1.22 seconds. While that may sound like nothing, it's actually a really significant ratio improvement. Link here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfist
May 27, 2006

buster science
loving sucks that we lost the DVR footage. The marathon was still a huge success, there were so many memorable moments. I can't wait for a clutch montage video and the SDA Choir soundtrack.

UA, you registered a week before me. :v:

• Locked thread