Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«398 »
factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Pretty psyched (again) about TJ+E, and it's definitely what I'm most looking forward to on the dogathon. Should be amazing, and also painfully, painfully difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

So, with all the complaints against Portal so far, has no one else noticed this comment?

quote:

Learn some oob tricks or challenge chambers for donations or this might be cut

Sounds like whoever made up the list agrees that Portal's wearing a little thin and needs something to spice it up. Might not even make the final listing, for that matter.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So where's this Keen 4 run? All I can find is one from 2006.

http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright/b/293465238

factorialite posted:

Pretty psyched (again) about TJ+E, and it's definitely what I'm most looking forward to on the dogathon. Should be amazing, and also painfully, painfully difficult.

I watched Peaches' extensive route planning (read: a couple hours of streaming one night) and I am fully confident he will wreck the poo poo out of the game.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Cosmo posted it as a highlight to his channel: http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright/b/293465238

I think the THPS block will be interesting because they are short (all 3 games total 45 minutes) and different enough from each other to keep it interesting. Mega Man is fun to watch but 7 games over 6 hours is overkill...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I watched Peaches' extensive route planning (read: a couple hours of streaming one night) and I am fully confident he will wreck the poo poo out of the game.

I have a solid, wr potential route but this game is more RNG-volatile than Quest 64

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at Aug 29, 2011 around 02:10

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zzzCLOMP zzzCLOMP
zzzCLOMP zzzCLOMP

You guys weren't kidding with that Keen, he annihilated it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You walk through life not knowing who the idiots are! That gives them the element of surprise! And that's how they ruin your day!

furry drum circle posted:

I have a solid, wr potential route but this game is more RNG-volatile than Quest 64

Now that I find a little hard to compute. Enlighten me.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Something I wondered idly; what happens if WR is set at a marathon like this? Does it get put on the site right away, or does it still have to go through the same process as any other run?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

iastudent posted:

Now that I find a little hard to compute. Enlighten me.

- Enemies spawn randomly from a given pool on a per-level basis. Simply put, Hula Girl + Mole = run over

- I use doorways to cross certain levels with a lot of walking from one corner to another. A single perfect doorway can replace an entire hitops/rocket skates. The location of a doorway changes every 2 frames from when you turn the game on (including menus and pausing) so it's humanly impossible to predict where you'll end up. Generally I use them only when the odds are greatly in my favor... sometimes I still get sent to a remote island 5 times in a row.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Something I wondered idly; what happens if WR is set at a marathon like this? Does it get put on the site right away, or does it still have to go through the same process as any other run?

Sadly it would still rot in the SDA verification queue with the rest of 'em. Verification is weird sometimes... even beating the WR live might still result in a run's rejection. There was a bunch of controversy over a Banjo Kazooie 100% submission where the run beat the WR using a new route, but was overall so poorly executed that the run was rejected.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!

Saphire_flames posted:

wrecked it baby

This was a lot of fun to watch. How often are these puzzle races done??

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010

Nalk posted:

This was a lot of fun to watch. How often are these puzzle races done??

not very. it's pretty tough to come up with good ones. last one was about 2 months ago i think. i had a lot of fun with this one though, it wasn't too bad even being relatively new to the game

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You walk through life not knowing who the idiots are! That gives them the element of surprise! And that's how they ruin your day!

Funkdoc about to run through some of his greatest hits on Team Sp00ky's stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

EDIT: Bumbling through Castlequest right now.

iastudent fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2011 around 03:36

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Months behind, but some of the JRDQ videos are finally up:

http://www.archive.org/details/JapanReliefDoneQuick

Also, all of the runs from SGDQ are available. Pretty sure they're all synced but a few haven't been double checked yet.

http://www.archive.org/details/SummerGamesDoneQuick

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

Trophy-ko says:
~death to capitalism~
;3

Why has the speedruns for Half Life 1 and Half Life Opposing Force disappeared form speeddemosarchive?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

trandorian posted:

Why has the speedruns for Half Life 1 and Half Life Opposing Force disappeared form speeddemosarchive?

They were probably removed for using scripts, which were allowed in the past but not anymore. For example, the Half-Life run would input 'jump' three times for every press of the key in order to make bunnyhopping much easier.

You can still find those videos on archive.org.

edit: scripted runs are still listed here http://speeddemosarchive.com/RunsWithScripts.html

Former Human fucked around with this message at Aug 31, 2011 around 02:55

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I know you can open TAS videos by using the replay and ROM in an emulator, but what emulators support this by command line? I think it would make a rad screensaver to have some relatively low CPU-heavy emulator completely destroy an 8-bit game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

Trophy-ko says:
~death to capitalism~
;3

Former Human posted:

They were probably removed for using scripts, which were allowed in the past but not anymore. For example, the Half-Life run would input 'jump' three times for every press of the key in order to make bunnyhopping much easier.

You can still find those videos on archive.org.

edit: scripted runs are still listed here http://speeddemosarchive.com/RunsWithScripts.html

Ahhh thanks. It'd be nice if they had put up the explanation somewhere more accessible tho. Here's hoping that people get interested in rerunning those games without the bunnyhop scripts tho.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Honey just broke Siglemic's SM64 70-star record with 50:36 I wouldn't be surprised if someone cut 50 minutes by the end of the year.

edit: just realized that sig's 70 star got verified by SDA almost two months ago and will be obsolete whenever it actually hits front page

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2011 around 14:27

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc running Maximum Carnage and probably more stuff on Min's stream (friend of Sp00ky).

http://www.twitch.tv/min2012

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

I'll be pretty busy today and tomorrow, so I am gonna make one more Dogathon spam post before the 4th!

Earlier this week, Cosmo was doing some ZZT races with Sockfolder to practice the route. In doing so they discovered a way to grab the key outside the castle and get back outside the moat before the troll guard blocks the path again, skipping about 1/4 of the game. Sockfolder then found a whole slew of sequence breaks that take his total time down to about 13 minutes, from ~45. Cosmo didn't want to be so far behind on the route, so now Sockfolder is doing the ZZT run and Cosmo is doing a Super Monkey Ball run. That brings the Dogathon up to 15 games now:

Blast Corps (any%)
Fantasy Zone (any%)
Chex Quest (100%+any% b2b)
Armored Core (any%)
Quest 64 (any% race vs kirkq)
Super Mario 64 (1-handed 16 star)
Commander Keen 4 (any%)
Super Monkey Ball (expert)
Town of ZZT (any%)
Duke Nukum (episode 1)
Kid Chameleon (4boss)
Godzilla (any%)
Toejam & Earl (fixed any%)
SSX (breaking TG wr's)
Blast Dozer (1-handed 100%)

It's gonna be a lotta fun! See you guys on Sunday!!!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh wow. Commander Keen 4 and ZZT? I'm definitely tuning in for them. So many memories...

fleshweasel
Aug 23, 2004

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

here's a dogathon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

fleshweasel posted:

here's a dogathon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Maxing out the score counter in the Game Boy version of Tetris has been accomplished numerous times. I don't see how this qualifies as a word record unless it was done in record time. In that case, since some of the footage was edited out of this video, I don't see how this is proof of a new record. Also, where is the link to Twin Galaxies' official record of this event?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Maxing out the score counter in the Game Boy version of Tetris has been accomplished numerous times. I don't see how this qualifies as a word record unless it was done in record time. In that case, since some of the footage was edited out of this video, I don't see how this is proof of a new record. Also, where is the link to Twin Galaxies' official record of this event?

You pasted that from the youtube comments, right?

fleshweasel
Aug 23, 2004

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Seriously, for a taxing marathon of a run here's something to see. 100% Majora's Mask in 6:14:07.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1aF71rc-s

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

I'll be pretty busy today and tomorrow, so I am gonna make one more Dogathon spam post before the 4th!

Earlier this week, Cosmo was doing some ZZT races with Sockfolder to practice the route. In doing so they discovered a way to grab the key outside the castle and get back outside the moat before the troll guard blocks the path again, skipping about 1/4 of the game. Sockfolder then found a whole slew of sequence breaks that take his total time down to about 13 minutes, from ~45. Cosmo didn't want to be so far behind on the route, so now Sockfolder is doing the ZZT run and Cosmo is doing a Super Monkey Ball run. That brings the Dogathon up to 15 games now:

I'd love to see these ZZT races! Awhile ago I did record myself beating town/dungeons of ZZT as fast as possible. It's pretty nasty quality but Town and Dungeons are here.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Blast Corps (any%)
Fantasy Zone (any%)
Chex Quest (100%+any% b2b)
Armored Core (any%)
Quest 64 (any% race vs kirkq)
Super Mario 64 (1-handed 16 star)
Commander Keen 4 (any%)
Super Monkey Ball (expert)
Town of ZZT (any%)
Duke Nukum (episode 1)
Kid Chameleon (4boss)
Godzilla (any%)
Toejam & Earl (fixed any%)
SSX (breaking TG wr's)
Blast Dozer (1-handed 100%)

It's gonna be a lotta fun! See you guys on Sunday!!!

Heads up everybody, this is now underway at http://www.justin.tv/peaches__!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Yes! Just in time for Chex Quest.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Now he's on the original Armored Core.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

This is pretty sweet.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Someone just donated $150.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Heads up everybody, this is now underway at http://www.justin.tv/peaches__!

Thanks to this, I now know the glory of Chex Quest and had to track it down.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Quest 64 race time, versus the world record holder.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Are these being recorded in some way? My family is getting together for labor day today and I'd love to see ZZT and Kid Chameleon

wa27
Jan 14, 2007

Peaches just beat the SDA segmented Quest 64 time in his race (though the actual single-segment record is a minute shorter and not on SDA).

On to one-handed Mario 64!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ahahahahhaha it's OilyMyles time.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lightning... It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect; it only destroys.

What do i get if I donate during this...

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

elf help book posted:

What do i get if I donate during this...

If you mean during this game, you could win Nintendo-themed Uno and some pins of some sort (probably also Nintendo-themed).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010

Spraynard Kruger posted:

If you mean during this game, you could win Nintendo-themed Uno and some pins of some sort (probably also Nintendo-themed).

I think he meant during oilymiles

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Just won a sweet TJ+E poster

best dogathon ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Missed the 1-handed Mario 64 but I'm all over this SSX.

«398 »