Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Dr. Dos posted:

What's the current MST record? Because that's always been the coolest category.

2:08:03

I wish more people would run MST because it's way more entertaining :shrug:

heeheex2 posted:

See: ALttP any%

alttp any% no s+q no oob no yba no eg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

BloodWulfe posted:

also you have to do all the dungeons, but we never SAID that you should just know that it's implied.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Lynx Winters posted:

Gildersneeze just got a 21:06 on Demonhead, the first real major PB since starting his new route a few weeks ago.

EDIT: The old PB was 22:07.
21:08 thanks to an early split at the ending where I overshot the exit door. Keep in mind the 22:07 was using the old timing (stop at final input), this run uses SDA timing (stop at loss of character control), so there's about 13.5s of ending cutscene (where all I do is hold the A button to advance the TALKING TIME) no longer included. Still, just over 45s improvement over the previous best (much of this was the new route, which cuts out Demon Egg Room), and there's plenty of execution errors to clean up, not to mention Menu Boss deciding to eat 3.5s on the flight up to Bopper 2.

For reference: Menu Boss isn't something I can actively control, it's a nickname for the item menu. The item menu in the game (the one which you enter by hitting Select) is atrociously programed. Every other frame spent in the menu is a lag frame, and it will drop inputs pretty much every time you hit a button on one of those frames. It took around six button presses to put on the Jet Pak. I've tried everything I can to combat it; longer button presses, timing it to the flash of the arrow, short button presses, tapping (worst plan, don't do this ever), mashing (more likely to put an item on, then immediately take it off, or exit/reenter the menu), swearing loudly, ancient rituals, and the only thing which works well enough is to always try to enter the menu at the same point in the game every time. Needless to say, "well enough" means "only fucks up royally about half the time instead of all the time."

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BloodWulfe posted:

2:08:03

I wish more people would run MST because it's way more entertaining :shrug:

MST is awesome. It shows off more of the game than any% but still gets to do all of the crazy tricks and glitches. It's not a list of a bullshit arbitrary restrictions like LttP, its just a different goal.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Yea mst is cool as gently caress but it got super fucky with wrong warp, all dungeons makes a lot more sense as a category now.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

heeheex2 posted:

Yea mst is cool as gently caress but it got super fucky with wrong warp, all dungeons makes a lot more sense as a category now.

I'm not sure what you mean by super fucky. MST still works just fine as a category.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
For those of us not on the inside baseball, what is MST?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"Medallions, Stones, Trials."

You need to touch all 8 blue warps at the end of every dungeon, and do all of Ganon's trials.

It's sort of an outdated name with RBA in play, since it's off-limits to use RBA to get medallions or stones.

I forget what the distinction between it and All Dungeons is.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Suspicious Dish posted:

"Medallions, Stones, Trials."

You need to touch all 8 blue warps at the end of every dungeon, and do all of Ganon's trials.

It's sort of an outdated name with RBA in play, since it's off-limits to use RBA to get medallions or stones.

I forget what the distinction between it and All Dungeons is.

All Dungeons skips trials. It changes the route completely because you can skip the Bow, Fire Arrows, Light Arrows, and Zelda's Lullaby.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
How do you skip Light Arrows? Wrong warp? Is RBA off-limits in All Dungeons?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Suspicious Dish posted:

How do you skip Light Arrows? Wrong warp? Is RBA off-limits in All Dungeons?

You wrong warp from the fire temple to the Ganon's castle escape sequence. RBA is allowed in All Dungeons but it was found to be slower. ZFG ran the RBA route at AGDQ if you're interested in seeing it (it's insane.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You skip light arrows the same way you do in any%.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
I've been grinding out speedruns on a game called FlyWrench. It's a short little game that is ridiculously hard. I'm actually gonna be grinding it hardcore until I PB again (Which would be WR as I am literally 1 second behind the current WR for it) right now.

I think it's kosher to post speedrun streams here right? If not I'll remove it.

http://www.twitch.tv/pinssa

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
A couple pages late, but Guacamelee got into SGDQ hooray!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pins posted:

I've been grinding out speedruns on a game called FlyWrench. It's a short little game that is ridiculously hard. I'm actually gonna be grinding it hardcore until I PB again (Which would be WR as I am literally 1 second behind the current WR for it) right now.

Posting speedruns (streams or otherwise) is pretty much the point of this thread, so yeah, post away!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pins posted:

i dont remember flywrench being that hard, but it's a nice different thing to see run.
Oh, didn't notice it was you pins, hey pins.

The Rokstar posted:

A couple pages late, but Guacamelee got into SGDQ hooray!

I remember it being way too streamlined and tightly designed to allow for much sequence breaking, if any at all. Is it mostly skillful play or are there some glitches here and there?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

i dont remember flywrench being that hard, but it's a nice different thing to see run.
Oh, didn't notice it was you pins, hey pins.

I remember it being way too streamlined and tightly designed to allow for much sequence breaking, if any at all. Is it mostly skillful play or are there some glitches here and there?

Once you get the double jump and the wall jump you can cancel a wall jump into a dodge and then jump back into the wall and that lets you skip picking up the wall... shooter-upper thing... whatever that was called (it's been a while). So that lets you skip the second half of the Tule Tree and you can also leave the Temple of War right after you get the dash punch so that you never have to fight Flame Face.

Up until that point there aren't really any sequence breaks, but that's a pretty drat big one.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Rokstar posted:

Once you get the double jump and the wall jump you can cancel a wall jump into a dodge and then jump back into the wall and that lets you skip picking up the wall... shooter-upper thing... whatever that was called (it's been a while). So that lets you skip the second half of the Tule Tree and you can also leave the Temple of War right after you get the dash punch so that you never have to fight Flame Face.

Up until that point there aren't really any sequence breaks, but that's a pretty drat big one.

that's crazy cool and im surprised i didnt accidentally find that myself

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

heeheex2 posted:

no i mean like he legit has the wr

it's just a joke lovely category

any% are some of the more entertaining runs out there, I'm not sure what the joke is.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Golbez posted:

For those of us not on the inside baseball, what is MST?

I sometimes forget there are so many acronyms.

MST no RBA no WW. Be sure to practice your ESS and ISS. You'll get a HESS if you're lucky. Also practice your ISG. ICA can be useful occasionally too.

loving impenetrable ramblings if you don't follow it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

BloodWulfe posted:

I sometimes forget there are so many acronyms.

MST no RBA no WW. Be sure to practice your ESS and ISS. You'll get a HESS if you're lucky. Also practice your ISG. ICA can be useful occasionally too.

loving impenetrable ramblings if you don't follow it.

ESS and ISS are the same trick, nerd.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like how we found that if we shielded damage while holding an object, we'd slide backwards super fast and we were like "whoa, hot drat, that's a super slide"

and then we found out that if we tilt the stick ever so slightly, we could turn while we do it, even if the speed was slower, so we were like "drat, that's an extended super slide"

and then we found out that if we do it from a megaflip or jumpslash recoil, we could keep the initial super slide speed and also turn at the same time and we were like "daaaaamn, that's a hyper extended super slide"

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Suspicious Dish posted:

and then we found out that if we do it from a megaflip or jumpslash recoil, we could keep the initial super slide speed and also turn at the same time and we were like "daaaaamn, that's a hyper extended super slide"

That's a WESS (water extended super slide). This is a HESS. :eng101:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was just looking at ZSR's definition here. http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/tech/extended-superslide#hess

It seems they're wrong. Looking at Grunz's original video, there's nothing about a megaflip or Nayru's love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KspxkFPNU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

ESS and ISS are the same trick, nerd.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I like how we found that if we shielded damage while holding an object, we'd slide backwards super fast and we were like "whoa, hot drat, that's a super slide"

and then we found out that if we tilt the stick ever so slightly, we could turn while we do it, even if the speed was slower, so we were like "drat, that's an extended super slide"

habanero walrus posted:

That's a WESS (water extended super slide). This is a HESS. :eng101:

loving impenetrable ramblings

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
My favorite trick name is Windy B, because it's just so much fun to say. Windy B. Windy B! Windy B!!!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Impenetrable terms are sort of part and parcel for things that are niche and things that are very technical. It'd be weirder if speedrunning didn't have an argot of its own.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pins posted:

I enjoyed watching this and I'm probably gonna play this game now, as infuriating as it looks.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Nothing holds a candle to the Full Hot drat. (a difficult maneuver in Richter any% SotN reverse Colosseum)

SM tricks and more importantly, room names are pretty awesome too. The Full Halfie especially.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Shabadu posted:

Nothing holds a candle to the Full Hot drat. (a difficult maneuver in Richter any% SotN reverse Colosseum)

SM tricks and more importantly, room names are pretty awesome too. The Full Halfie especially.

My favorite is the perfectly descriptive "The Worst Room in The Game".

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Shabadu posted:

I hadn't even considered how impenetrable SM room names would be. Personally I like Hellway.

JRPGs are relatively tame compared to alttp, oot, sotn, and sm. Fade out glitch, unqeuip glitch, mist clip, diehard%, generic overflow usage, fish manipulation, and RJD aren't very exciting names.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Thanks for hanging out with me fellas. Pulled the run down a whole minute so far. I'm actually legitimately satisfied with myself right now.

Edit: 5 mins later

Pins fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 20, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
During the AGDQ last year where Future Cop:LAPD was the speedrun competition game, there was a trick called the "right side clip" because you could only achieve it with the right side of your character. When it was discovered that you could also do it with the left side of the character, that trick was called the "reverse right side clip."

I think sleep deprivation was a factor in this.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA2014 now has a "final game list". It lists 270 hours, though. While there will be two streams, the second one seems like it's going to be mostly not speedruns, so we'll see how that works out...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

KennyMan666 posted:

While there will be two streams, the second one seems like it's going to be mostly not speedruns, so we'll see how that works out...

It's going to be Yoshi's Story, Mario Party and assorted wankery.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KennyMan666 posted:

ESA2014 now has a "final game list". It lists 270 hours, though. While there will be two streams, the second one seems like it's going to be mostly not speedruns, so we'll see how that works out...

Oh man, do not miss the Pikmin run. If you have not seen an all parts run of Pikmin, you are in for a hell of a treat, it's loving crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 20, 2014

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

gently caress yeah, Kynos submitted the Yuffie Warp route for FF7

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I've thought for a while about how one could even speedrun ikaruga, since the game (given you never die) always plays out with the exact same timing, save for bossess where you can actually end things faster.
Would they be going for a high score run or

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah that genre is usually played for score if you want to be competitive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The Super R-Type for SNES TAS saves over 10 minutes compared a regular run just from optimized lag reduction:

http://tasvideos.org/1157M.html

• Locked thread