Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dpbjinc posted:

Well, we got Instababy, Demon Chocobo, and audio wizardry out of FF6. I wouldn't watch the whole thing, but it made for good highlights. (Basically, MrMV on couch is mandatory for JRPG runs.)

I have to admit, I enjoyed the Demon Chocobo battle. Not enough to want to watch the whole run, but it was entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Rokstar posted:

A zillion times this. The reason I hate JRPG runs isn't because I hate JRPGs, it's because they're basically just fast let's plays. The Die Hard% FF4 run was amazing, and runs that actually have tricks in them are good too, it's just... most don't.

I hate JRPGs runs because I hate JRPGs.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

MGN001 posted:

What's TwinGalaxies?

Site that had (maybe at one point) been an/the "authority" on video game records (primarily arcade top-scores), used a "mail us a tape of proof then we'll verify it" method. Typically doesn't allow glitches. Contains some "speedrun records" (only the times, no videos), but due various factors (costs money to submit runs, no glitches allowed, no videos hosted, etc) fell out of relevancy for speedruns.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see less Square RPG's at these things personally, the WA would have been perfect since its short by RPG standards and Funkdoc offered Valkyrie Profile Seraphic gate which would be cool to see.

But for the most part, RPG's make it in cause donations so chances are RPG's light in donation incentives ain't happening. Hopefully SGDG gives them a shot.

quote:

Heeheex2: I have a dream that one day you will shut the gently caress up about glover.

Uyama bringing the heat. :mmmhmm:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 20, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MGN001 posted:

What's TwinGalaxies?

A very old high scores/speedrun website with bizarre and capricious rules for most games.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
FF4 got in over FFT? Seriously?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Violently Car posted:

FF4 got in over FFT? Seriously?

Donation incentives.

And yeah I agree. I saw FF4 2 summers ago and it was boring to me because unlike most other speedrun fans I don't want to see people skip 90% of the game.

I think making "Get FFT into AGDQ 2015" as a donation incentive is the way to go. I'd love to watch a good solid no-calc run. I will donate towards this.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Moving away from AGDQ 2015 talk for a second, it seems that prizes for SGDQ 2014 were drawn at some point: http://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prizes/10[/url]
Well gently caress me, I guess I won a poster from this. I should probably try to figure out how to claim it.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think making "Get FFT into AGDQ 2015" as a donation incentive is the way to go. I'd love to watch a good solid no-calc run. I will donate towards this.

yeah lets just throw in a donation incentive to push the marathon behind 5 hours

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Leonid posted:

yeah lets just throw in a donation incentive to push the marathon behind 5 hours

You can just put it at the end of the marathon though?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Gildersneeze got raided by Ray from roosterteeth last night. Was fun seeing a stream with like forty people get invaded by a couple thousand.

We got some Straight Baseball Life out of it, so can't complain. Hope you got a bunch of new followers, Gilder.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
I just caught up and I'll just say this in response to my comments on ESA:

My biggest beef with ESA isn't my own, but what I heard constantly from people involved with and watching ESA. All you ever hear is about how ESA is just for hanging out and having fun playing games. Personally, I have zero problems with that (and I think there should be something similar for the USA).

Where the problem lies is that they still have this charity event in the background. You'd see in the chat all the time: "what donations are they talking about? What are they for?" I'm not saying ESA needs to go full-GDQ and push for popular games, nothing of the sort. But hey, maybe it's not a lot to ask to actually... put the charity's name on stream? It was a recurring trend of people joining and becoming immediately confused at the mention of donations. Clearly there were people who were interested in donating, but had no idea what the cause was.

I seriously believe that if they'd done something as small as that, it would have made ESA pull in much more for the charity. But even for this suggestion, there was a lot of pushback??? That's why I threw out the "pick one" comment. In the end, it's their event to run as they see fit, and this is just advice. I think that's all that I need to say on this, as otherwise I'd just be repeating myself. I want to see them succeed, and I do help them out as well (managing the tracker for their event is not something I get paid for).

---

Re: bonus stream

We don't schedule runs for bonus stream because then it's not really bonus stream anymore. Bonus stream is effectively our "ESA". The staff can relax, the people at the event can enjoy themselves, etc. At least, that was the original purpose. Then AGDQ/SGDQ2014 happened. People began to see it as a way to fit in their game that was cut. People began to get really heated over this. They'd argue, they'd complain, they'd whine. Personally, at the end of the event, I'm exhausted. I don't get paid for my time at the event (all my paid time is pre-marathon)*.

The last thing I want to do is mediate an argument over whose run should go next on a stream that's supposed to be for fun and kicking back. And it really hit the last straw when we got flak for shutting the stream down "early" at SGDQ2014. We needed to do this so we could actually pack up our gear in time to be out of the hotel, after learning our lesson at the beginning of the event.

For that reason, we're strongly considering switching to a scheduled, no-speedruns bonus stream. Think stuff like Fighting Masters. There's a lot of fun stuff people have been throwing out there, and I think it'd be a much better use of the time. Both the viewers and the attendees enjoy it a lot more, and there's less room for drama. This'll be Mike's decision in the end, along with all schedule choices for AGDQ.

*On purpose, as I feel it's more fair to the hardworking volunteers if I also volunteer my time at the event. It was a personal decision of mine, I don't speak for what the others do.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with post-GDQ/ESA commentary. Hopefully it was an informative post.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cool Matty posted:

I just caught up and I'll just say this in response to my comments on ESA:

My biggest beef with ESA isn't my own, but what I heard constantly from people involved with and watching ESA. All you ever hear is about how ESA is just for hanging out and having fun playing games. Personally, I have zero problems with that (and I think there should be something similar for the USA).

Where the problem lies is that they still have this charity event in the background. You'd see in the chat all the time: "what donations are they talking about? What are they for?" I'm not saying ESA needs to go full-GDQ and push for popular games, nothing of the sort. But hey, maybe it's not a lot to ask to actually... put the charity's name on stream? It was a recurring trend of people joining and becoming immediately confused at the mention of donations. Clearly there were people who were interested in donating, but had no idea what the cause was.

I seriously believe that if they'd done something as small as that, it would have made ESA pull in much more for the charity. But even for this suggestion, there was a lot of pushback??? That's why I threw out the "pick one" comment. In the end, it's their event to run as they see fit, and this is just advice. I think that's all that I need to say on this, as otherwise I'd just be repeating myself. I want to see them succeed, and I do help them out as well (managing the tracker for their event is not something I get paid for).

---

Re: bonus stream

We don't schedule runs for bonus stream because then it's not really bonus stream anymore. Bonus stream is effectively our "ESA". The staff can relax, the people at the event can enjoy themselves, etc. At least, that was the original purpose. Then AGDQ/SGDQ2014 happened. People began to see it as a way to fit in their game that was cut. People began to get really heated over this. They'd argue, they'd complain, they'd whine. Personally, at the end of the event, I'm exhausted. I don't get paid for my time at the event (all my paid time is pre-marathon)*.

The last thing I want to do is mediate an argument over whose run should go next on a stream that's supposed to be for fun and kicking back. And it really hit the last straw when we got flak for shutting the stream down "early" at SGDQ2014. We needed to do this so we could actually pack up our gear in time to be out of the hotel, after learning our lesson at the beginning of the event.

For that reason, we're strongly considering switching to a scheduled, no-speedruns bonus stream. Think stuff like Fighting Masters. There's a lot of fun stuff people have been throwing out there, and I think it'd be a much better use of the time. Both the viewers and the attendees enjoy it a lot more, and there's less room for drama. This'll be Mike's decision in the end, along with all schedule choices for AGDQ.

*On purpose, as I feel it's more fair to the hardworking volunteers if I also volunteer my time at the event. It was a personal decision of mine, I don't speak for what the others do.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with post-GDQ/ESA commentary. Hopefully it was an informative post.
While you're here are there plans to get outside help for *GDQ audio? Signal interference has been a troubling problem and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of that changing anytime soon.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

While you're here are there plans to get outside help for *GDQ audio?
If you mean hiring professionals, no.

If you mean talking to them, and also getting volunteers from broadcast/theater to help, we already have.

quote:

Signal interference has been a troubling problem and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of that changing anytime soon.

That particular issue of the line noise was solved during the marathon. I'm not sure when it showed up, but it wasn't there initially, even on the RTA. I didn't notice it, nor did any of the several other volunteers, until it was mentioned to us online. Fixing it once discovered was fairly simple, with EQ on the mixer. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't start until the rave next door kicked up. Even with closed monitoring headphones it was pretty loud in there.

Edit: Fixed my obsession with parentheses + rave comment.

Cool Matty fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Cool Matty posted:

Please support esports #GYCL #PROYOCO

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
When is the deadline to submit a game for AGDQ 2015?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
In preparation for ESA they had the right ideas for handling things and doing more than handful a day "this is ESA, donations to DWB" mentions, but most balls were dropped bad including that one. I told them about pamphlets, reminders taped up on donation stations and whatnot, timers to get structure and discipline in. Alright, next year..

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Not having the DWB logo on the stream layout was Edenal's response to DWB not "sponsoring" us in any way. Most people disagreed with him on that but we didn't learn about that particular point until towards the end of the marathon. That's all I'll say about that.

From what I hear, this won't be an issue next year, though.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with respect to ESA that putting the charity's logo on the stream overlay would have helped the charity aspect of it quite a bit without hurting the casual vibe all that much. I know I personally had to dig around for 2-3 minutes when I first tuned in just to find out who the charity was, and... yeah, that's not good.

Or even if you don't want to do the logo for... reasons, at least having the charity's name on the stream overlay somewhere would be a huge benefit.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

timp posted:

When is the deadline to submit a game for AGDQ 2015?

looks like September 3rd at 11:59 PM EDT

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Alteisen posted:

I want to see less Square RPG's at these things personally, the WA would have been perfect since its short by RPG standards and Funkdoc offered Valkyrie Profile Seraphic gate which would be cool to see.

But for the most part, RPG's make it in cause donations so chances are RPG's light in donation incentives ain't happening. Hopefully SGDG gives them a shot.

Uyama bringing the heat. :mmmhmm:

yea i got Owned rip

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I submitted Glover 2. Been Pending for a day or so. I think they are scared of the backlash if its rejected.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a new glitch and a new route for Pokemon Red/Blue. The new unassisted runs are faster than even the TAS. I'm working on a TAS with this route now, but it might be possible to have a totally different Cooltrainer route that winds up being even faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqbsGKH5mQE

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I want the technical explanation for that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I want the technical explanation for that.

The technical explanation is Game Freak hired lovely coders.

What it looks like to me is Game Freak ran out of space to code an action for talking to that guy from the right, so they try to prevent you with the dialog box that pops up. But that dialog bugs out if you save and reload, and you can just re-enter the room and talk to the guy. That just happens to execute the current PP as code, which he's set up to make it disable collision.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

dpbjinc posted:

What it looks like to me is Game Freak ran out of space to code an action for talking to that guy from the right, so they try to prevent you with the dialog box that pops up. But that dialog bugs out if you save and reload, and you can just re-enter the room and talk to the guy. That just happens to execute the current PP as code, which he's set up to make it disable collision.

The glitch is Bethesda levels of broken, truly a beautiful thing to see.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

R/B/Y/G do not really have a script engine for events like gold and later do, so when you do something unexpected it will read from totally wrong offsets. It's just really lucky that one of the offsets is editable by being related to your Pokemon.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
ESA had The Last Eichhof so that automatically makes it better than any GDQ.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

dpbjinc posted:

Not precisely. All it needs is to execute the PP as code to end that dialogue and make the player enter cinematic mode while still controlling the character, which is much easier than getting the precise PP values to get whatever code we want. The trainer-fly glitch and Missingno. are unrelated to that glitch. Missingno. tries to flip a bit in the RAM indicating it's been seen, but instead flips the first bit of the quantity of the player's 6th item. By using two of that item and catching Missingno. to flip the bit again, the player ends up with 255 (0xFF). 0xFF is the "Cancel" byte, so by trying to deposit the item the game gets confused as to what is in the inventory. Then, when the guard takes a Fresh Water from "below" the player's list of items, the Cancel button goes from 0xFF to 0xFE and now it's no longer the Cancel button. Since the Cancel button is really a key item that can't be moved, tossed, or scrolled past, once that's gone we can move the item cursor past the inventory and into other RAM. The key is to manipulate the byte corresponding to our warp area, because by changing that to 118 (0x76) we Wrong Warp directly to the Hall of Fame.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dpbjinc posted:

More like Game Freak not expecting people to hammer on the game repeatedly for 16 years at this point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha yeah what a bunch of scrub programmers. I can't believe that it only took 16 short years and diving into the memory of a gameboy game for people to figure out how to screw it up. Might as well have hired monkeys to code it :rolleyes:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

VDay posted:

Haha yeah what a bunch of scrub programmers. I can't believe that it only took 16 short years and diving into the memory of a gameboy game for people to figure out how to screw it up. Might as well have hired monkeys to code it :rolleyes:

Gen 1 Pokemon is broken as gently caress and a lot of the glitches in it have been known pretty much since the game's release. MissingNo and the infinite seventh item slot thing are one such example. It's not a shining example of error-proof coding and lacks a lot of memory protection stuff that went into making the later games a bit less easy to snap sideways, quit being a defensive crybaby because old game is coded badly.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yes I am clearly fighting for Game Freak's honor and not just making a dumb post because I thought it was funny that a crazy glitch that was found 16 years after the game came out was chalked up to 'lovely coders'.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VDay posted:

Actually Gen 1 had a lot of lovely stuff in it without even going into glitches.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

VDay posted:

Yes I am clearly fighting for Game Freak's honor and not just making a dumb post because I thought it was funny that a crazy glitch that was found 16 years after the game came out was chalked up to 'lovely coders'.

Work on conveying your intention better.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

There's a new glitch and a new route for Pokemon Red/Blue. The new unassisted runs are faster than even the TAS. I'm working on a TAS with this route now, but it might be possible to have a totally different Cooltrainer route that winds up being even faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqbsGKH5mQE

I respect the barkley splits.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Work on conveying your intention better.

You guys are, like, hella mad about video games.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
If you are a fan of Boshy runs, I would recommend you follow cosmicsense. He's probably going to be snagging the 100% wr while witwix is moving. His splits had him 2 mins ahead of WR before having some issues with Megaman.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmicsense

The current run might have a shot at barely taking the record.

Edit: Couple seconds ahead going into Cheetahmen

57:12! WR WR WR WR.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 22, 2014

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Is there a site or forum that lists when marathons are scheduled to take place? Stumbling across SGDQ this year got me interested in seeing computers get completely embarassed by humans.

ESA was good too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Nativity In Black posted:

If you are a fan of Boshy runs, I would recommend you follow cosmicsense. He's probably going to be snagging the 100% wr while witwix is moving. His splits had him 2 mins ahead of WR before having some issues with Megaman.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmicsense

The current run might have a shot at barely taking the record.

Edit: Couple seconds ahead going into Cheetahmen

57:12! WR WR WR WR.
Oh man. Didn't know Cosmic was so close to witwix in time or else I would have had it on instead of Sinister's Tyson attempts. At least now I'll know better when seeing his name pop up on my Following list.

I'm watching Zoast now (as usual, when he's on) and am hoping he puts together the any% run he's been looking for soon. I think he just finished his first run of the night and missed his 44:11 record by .4 seconds. If he can get a really good run together, it should be sub-44 and hopefully :28 game time.
https://www.twitch.tv/zoasty

• Locked thread