Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Azathoth256 posted:

That route is just :psyduck:
It's so weird seeing a new route. I feel like I haven't seen some of the rooms Behemoth goes through since I played through the game in 94-95.

I wonder if this will change the route for any of the other categories.

edit: video for new page

Gamma Nerd posted:

the SM Any% goalposts have shifted yet again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJE2czxUJw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Goddamn there's a lot of talent in that run. To my amateur eyes, there were only a couple obvious mistakes, could save like 10 seconds. Can't wait to see what the other runners do with it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
As if the old route wasn't dangerous enough.

I actually laughed when he skipped the space jump

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Gamma Nerd posted:

This made me grin like an idiot. gently caress Plasma, Get Spazer. Zoast and Kottpower are both on top of the current Any% RTA and RBO rankings, excepting this time right here, so I can't wait to see them go after this route.

Super Metroid Status: Still the best speedrun game.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Can someone explain some of the major differences in that run. I've wtached a bunch of SM runs, and played it as a kid, but don't know it well enough to tell the difference between what's been happening for the past few years and that.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Last night was mad strong. Sinister1 tied Matt Turk for the Tyson IL (2:13.XX), then Darkwing Duck nails the very first sub-31 TLoZ 1st Quest no up+A warp with a 30:37 (no highlight yet).

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
This is where he rewatches the run immediately after: http://www.twitch.tv/darkwing_duck_sda/b/563312568?t=55m
That part at the beginning where it's muted? That's the live run :suicide:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
drat. One frame-perfect punch away from the record from what I see. Not sure what bad luck Sinister is talking about in the description though.

Garfu posted:

Can someone explain some of the major differences in that run. I've wtached a bunch of SM runs, and played it as a kid, but don't know it well enough to tell the difference between what's been happening for the past few years and that.
Here's Zoast's 44:08 run for comparison http://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/c/4968734
That run, which has a :28 in-game time, is still the best for in-game time as SM is weird and doesn't count certain things as part of the in-game timer.

Zoast's boss route is the standard game route: Kraid (big green guy), Phantoon (one-eyed ghost), Draygon, then Ridley last before going to kill Mother Brain. He grabs items like Space Jump (the multiple jump item you get after beating Draygon) and the Plasma Beam (strongest beam in the game) Behemoth uses a boss route of Phantoon, Ridley, Kraid, then Draygon and skips Space Jump+Plasma Beam, though he gets the Spazer Beam which is the second most powerful beam. Behemoth's first two boss fights are slower because he has less items to use on them but the route is overall faster in real-time, though it only registers :30 in-game time.

Maybe there's some other stuff someone else can point out but that's what I see as someone who doesn't play the game but watches Zoast, Ivan, and Kott a lot.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Swilo posted:

This is where he rewatches the run immediately after: http://www.twitch.tv/darkwing_duck_sda/b/563312568?t=55m
That part at the beginning where it's muted? That's the live run :suicide:

Maybe he was humming a Michael Jackson song for five seconds.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

iPodschun posted:

drat. One frame-perfect punch away from the record from what I see. Not sure what bad luck Sinister is talking about in the description though.
Usually it involves Tyson's RNG throwing certain delays before punching. IIRC, after every punch Tyson has a chance to delay by a few different set amounts of time before throwing another punch. In the third phase, watch the timing between punches 1 - 6, then the pause between punches 6 and 7. If Tyson didn't delay there, that would have been an untied WR.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Any ideas when we'll have a solid AGDQ 2015 location announcement? I'm trying to plan my trip as far in advance as possible to keep airfare and room rates down.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Mike is currently at PAX, so at the very least not until after he gets back.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

timp posted:

Any ideas when we'll have a solid AGDQ 2015 location announcement? I'm trying to plan my trip as far in advance as possible to keep airfare and room rates down.

It won't be long though, we've pretty much settled on one hotel. Just needs to nail down a few particulars for the contract IIRC.

(If any of you watched that scene from The Newsroom where the statistician is giving the election predictions, it's kinda like that.)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Interesting choice of reference.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Sir Tonk posted:

Interesting choice of reference.

I may have been watching the show lately.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://www.twitch.tv/ohonta Japanese runner doing MM5 right now. Amazing stuff.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I finally updated my All Speedruns Tracker to include Hitbox streams, along with some bug fixes and other small changes. If you'd like to see any other features, let me know!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo Cosmo is running Goldeneye. gently caress yes

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

pksage posted:

I finally updated my All Speedruns Tracker to include Hitbox streams, along with some bug fixes and other small changes. If you'd like to see any other features, let me know!

grats, this is incredibly cool + good

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

pksage posted:

quote:

Error retrieving stream data:

parsererror

This all I'm getting now.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
hitbox is all fucky right now so that's prob why it's giving that error

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Holy poo poo Cosmo is running Goldeneye. gently caress yes

This is a very interesting development to me.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Gamma Nerd posted:

That's not TAS? Jesus Christ.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone familiar with this game TMR is playing on his NES mania thing? Its called Athena and seems to be from SNK.

He appears to be stuck in an endless loop.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Is anyone familiar with this game TMR is playing on his NES mania thing? Its called Athena and seems to be from SNK.

Let me tell you a tale

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Alteisen posted:

I had the game as a kid. It owned. No I have never beaten it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So there's mild drama concerning behemoth's new Super Metroid route.

SGDQ sure has changed alot in the last two years...

edit

TMR is up to Kid Icarus, finally. Doubt it'll be as entertaining as pie's run, but that game is brutal the first time through (especially if you don't read the manual, like TMR).

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 4, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Someone's doing a speedrun of the JAP persona 4 (expert difficulty - solo) here -

http://www.twitch.tv/neviutz

he's 3.5 hours in and aims to get to shadow kanji in about 45 minutes or so from the time of this post. 16 hours is his expected end run time.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Those JRPG runners are insane, that's such a long experience for one sitting.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Those JRPG runners are insane, that's such a long experience for one sitting.

Neviutz is crazy. He once did a 50+ hour stream where he finished 3-4 JRPGs with minor breaks between them.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Ivan's practicing the new WS first route in Super Metroid.

http://www.twitch.tv/ivan

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sir Shion posted:

Someone's doing a speedrun of the JAP persona 4 (expert difficulty - solo) here -

http://www.twitch.tv/neviutz

he's 3.5 hours in and aims to get to shadow kanji in about 45 minutes or so from the time of this post. 16 hours is his expected end run time.

He would then proceed to see the run to completion, something he apparently hasn't done in a year, and improve his RTA time by almost an hour. Final RTA was 15h 10m something while the final IGT was 14h 39m.

I have no idea if that's now the new world record since I'm not much into the Persona speedrunning community if there is one.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
drat, grats nev.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Carcinogen is doing a Resident Evil marathon over the next 5 days, playing through them in story order.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

iastudent posted:

Carcinogen is doing a Resident Evil marathon over the next 5 days, playing through them in story order.

or, if you're more impatient,Firece Kyo is finishing up his own 24 hour marathon of RE games. He seems to do one of these nearly every weekend.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SeXReX posted:

He seems to do one of these nearly every weekend.

Both of them seem to do series marathons more often than actual runs. It's cool to watch though since they both possess encyclopaedic knowledge of all the games and show off good poo poo as they go, I just genuinely can't remember the last time Carci did an actual run of an RE.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Caleb just lost his poo poo at someone donating 1,000 to him. :stare:

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Alteisen posted:

Caleb just lost his poo poo at someone donating 1,000 to him. :stare:

Better hope he doesn't get a chargeback. There's been a lot of those going around.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Zoast is currently singing along to Phil Collins songs and playing Super Metroid. Good stuff.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Both of them seem to do series marathons more often than actual runs. It's cool to watch though since they both possess encyclopaedic knowledge of all the games and show off good poo poo as they go, I just genuinely can't remember the last time Carci did an actual run of an RE.

He said he was taking a break from runs back before SGDQ, but since he's got subscribers he has to keep a bit of a schedule.

His chat is also kinda bizarre. They get on some weird topics.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MATT TURK HAS BEEN DETHRONED. :toot:

Zallard1 has just gotten the Mike Tyson IL with an insane time of 2:10, he got every single frame perfect punch, 22 in all, he only lost time due to Tyson's unpredictable delays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF1k_ilzXbs

Absolutely loving bonkers that a human being can do this. :magical:

• Locked thread