Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Phone posted:

This Harvest Moon 64 All Photos speed run is blowing my mind. It better be at AGDQ 2016; it's only like 10 hours.

Is there a VOD or video of this? I'd love to watch it.

We should get a list of like, really great Speedruns with awesome commentary going. I don't even play most of these games but I love the explanations of all the glitches and the skills required to pull them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I finally got around to recording a video of a trick that was discovered by a Japanese TAS in Sweet Home years ago that no RTA run ever bothered using because I don't think people knew about it, if anyone's ever heard of this game and is interested in a trick that lets you skip about a quarter of the game I present to you the Skipping Dynamo Technique.

i should really plot a route that uses this trick but I already have too many games I want to run

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

All I know about Sweet Home is that RaneofSotN was running it at one point. It looked pretty neat from what I saw of it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

All I know about Sweet Home is that RaneofSotN was running it at one point. It looked pretty neat from what I saw of it.

The TAS from two years ago (a little after he stopped running the game) illuminated some really cool new strategies that never saw use due to the general obscurity of the game. I'm looking into exactly how much of the TAS could be feasibly replicated and I'm leaning towards "a fair bit".

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The TAS from two years ago (a little after he stopped running the game) illuminated some really cool new strategies that never saw use due to the general obscurity of the game. I'm looking into exactly how much of the TAS could be feasibly replicated and I'm leaning towards "a fair bit".

If you streamed it I would probably watch.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Lor posted:

We should get a list of like, really great Speedruns with awesome commentary going. I don't even play most of these games but I love the explanations of all the glitches and the skills required to pull them off.
Same.
I used to watch a lot of streamers on twitch, but watching them grind runs gets pretty boring. My favorite part about the marathon is the commentary. I also really wish that TAS makers would start doing uploads with audio commentary. The commentary on the the stuff the DWaHMoV guys do is cool.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Lor posted:

I guess he doesn't save them as highlights, but http://www.twitch.tv/mr_weables/profile/past_broadcasts

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you streamed it I would probably watch.

I didn't signpost it so you probably missed it, but I did some Sweet Home routing at the end of my stream today, in spite of the TAS strats seemingly insanely risky on the face of it since you do the whole run without only three people and that does not include the medic, it's actually quite possible. Not easy mind you and you better be saving constantly because if you get poisoned or cursed you better be resetting your console and reloading to try again. Luckily I've figured out you can reset the RNG for encounters and "amount of steps" to said encounters by fiddling with the menu ala Earthbound Zero so it should be fairly hard to actually work your run into a corner short of just forgetting to save for too long.

like strangely enough it's pretty risky at the start when you're weak but then you find a couple of key items that work on enemies and hit for substantial damage allowing you to actually hold ground against your enemies pretty well and eventually it stops being all that risky, although you are still 100% boned if you get a status ailment of any description. The key items in this game are stronger than the goddamn weapons a lot of the time and apparently only the guy who made the TAS had any clue.

this is going to be a cool run when I manage to put it all together

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

FF Series Relay is about to start: http://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak
Schedule: http://pastebin.com/Fy2tA6rp

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i do not like these graphics

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://www.twitch.tv/ckfinite tam kung speed run

no sorry not a speed run

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 5, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I love it something to fall asleep to and wake up to.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

both on ffv but not a close race, but you get the feeling anything is possible and once you wake up you realize the race is closer than you expected and that's why you stay tuned to the race

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont feel anything is possible nor do i realize the race is closer and im definitely not staying tuned who are you and why are you making all those assumptions about me its creepy.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Southern Speedrunner Summit is going on this weekend. schedule here

also the Best of NES Big 20 Race #3 will be starting at 1 PM EDT.

baram. fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2015

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Furiouspaul finally got his sub-32 time in Super Castlevania IV with a final time of 31:55.81 by frame count.

About the only real time losses was taking a slower but safer spike jump in stage 8, and being one hit away from a one cycle mummy kill in stage A, costing 5.4 seconds and eliminating his lead up to that point, but absolutely crushing stage B six seconds faster made all the difference. He does want a run with a quick mummy kill, maybe somehow get a sub-31:50 when the planets align properly.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

E-Tap posted:

Furiouspaul finally got his sub-32 time in Super Castlevania IV with a final time of 31:55.81 by frame count.

About the only real time losses was taking a slower but safer spike jump in stage 8, and being one hit away from a one cycle mummy kill in stage A, costing 5.4 seconds and eliminating his lead up to that point, but absolutely crushing stage B six seconds faster made all the difference. He does want a run with a quick mummy kill, maybe somehow get a sub-31:50 when the planets align properly.

Dude's been grinding this game trying to get a sub-32 in it for three goddamn months. On the one hand, that's impressive as balls, on the other, if I ever end up spending that long to cut seconds off a single run, please shoot me.

Run's over here for interested peoples, says his final goal is a sub 31:50 which seems like it would require nigh on perfection barring something new getting discovered.

super castlevania is a hella optimised game goddamn

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

In other related news of "hotly contested game finally breaks through large time milestone", Demon9 finally managed to get a sub 4-hour Wind Waker.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Holy poo poo, that's nuts. I was thinking about watching his stream before I headed out but I turned on kaceytron "speedrunning" SM64 instead. Too bad Cosmo will never run anything again even though he was a huge ambassador for the community; it was fun for the year or so when they were trading records.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Has Twitch stopped sending notice emails for when people you follow start streaming? I haven't gotten a single notification in over a month, and I haven't changed anything in my profile.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
A few things.

1) All of the SGDQ2015 videos are trimmed up and should be showing up on Archive.org and the YouTube channel within a couple of days, depending on encoding and upload speed.
2) Somebody found a neat skip in Metal Storm that means the autoscroller stages are a thing of the past, at least in the first loop.
3) Doom 64 is too goddamn dark.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

I mean it's not like graviton didnt spend 3 hrs trying to get anyone to give a poo poo about the setup for his run. but whatev. blame the game right?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Unreal that this is coming from a staff member, especially after the feedback thread.

Here's the post from grav (the runner) in the first page of that thread on SDA:

quote:

I'm speaking more from a curiosity standpoint than a frustrated one, but is the capture setup simply unable to make Doom 64 look as it does using traditional capture cards in conjunction with simple AmarecTV adjustments? I did everything in my power to try and calibrate the game beforehand by posting about this potential problem in the forums well in advance, along with spending two hours with the tech crew on setup day. I think because of the time crunch that everyone was busy training the volunteers, so I wasn't able to see if the capture setup could actually make the game watchable. Maybe UA had it figured out after he told me he would handle it, but he wasn't around when my run began and nobody else there had a good idea of what to do it seems.

I think for a game that had two previous marathon runs in which it was extremely dark on stream, a bit more attention should have been spent assuring it wouldn't happen once again. I understand the fact that there was not a whole lot of time for everyone to get stuff ready, but at the very least I would like to have been informed before my run started that nothing further could be done to improve the brightness. That way I could at least point out specific things that would be hard to see on stream during my run. If the capture setup just can't do it for some reason, the scheduling committee probably shouldn't let the game in again... which would be a disappointing but probably necessary decision.

Regardless, thanks to Vulajin and the others who were manning the station during my run for trying their best to make the game look better on the spot.

another post, not from the runner posted:

Well Graviton went in on day zero to set it up with the tech station, as it's maybe two mouse clicks in whatever capture software to fix the problem, and it wasn't. I would think that you'd want to prioritize the tens/hundreds of thousands of viewers at home that are giving you money rather than the hundred or so that were in the room at the moment watching the projector. Just a thought.

Naturally no one responded to it, so who knows if it was even noticed. Keep blaming the game though!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who actually cares tho

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Eonwe posted:

who actually cares tho

sorry this isnt epic hilarious dama mate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Uznare posted:

sorry this isnt epic hilarious dama mate.

okay weirdly passive aggressive about playing video games fast person

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Uznare posted:

I mean it's not like graviton didnt spend 3 hrs trying to get anyone to give a poo poo about the setup for his run. but whatev. blame the game right?

I personally spent over an hour before the event trying to get the capture set up to be able to do ANYTHING with the signal we were getting out of the N64 that didn't look like a black mess, with Graviton standing there trying to help me figure it out. We implemented every suggestion he had and it still looked like that. That picture shows that over half of the pixels that were making it into the capture were 100% black, so I really don't know what else I could have done.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Eonwe posted:

who actually cares tho

Yeah right? I was close enough to see the tv he was playing on, anyone else not so smart as to get a good seat deserves to stare at a black square

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Eonwe posted:

who actually cares tho

Me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

I personally spent over an hour before the event trying to get the capture set up to be able to do ANYTHING with the signal we were getting out of the N64 that didn't look like a black mess, with Graviton standing there trying to help me figure it out. We implemented every suggestion he had and it still looked like that. That picture shows that over half of the pixels that were making it into the capture were 100% black, so I really don't know what else I could have done.

he wasnt even warned before his run nothing could be done about the brightness!!!!

obviously based on his post you guys didnt take his speedrun of Doom 64 seriously enough and just halfassed it

at the very least warn him the next time you invite him to a charity stream to raise money for a good cause that his speedrun of noted good game Doom 64 wasnt bright enough!!!!

fucker!!!!!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im sorry about your cares then

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

UraniumAnchor posted:

does that not happen on the TV or something? What is this game doing?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Suspicious Dish posted:

does that not happen on the TV or something? What is this game doing?

I honestly don't know. It's the only game that had this severe of a problem. I was able to fix up Kevin's Tetris board in post by adjusting the luma levels, but this is too far beyond that. I also don't remember it being this much of a problem in the past, though admittedly it hasn't ever really looked good.

I might just have to find a cart of it myself and try to get to figure something out myself because this has been a persistent problem with this game in particular.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
Hey UraniumAnchor, just wanted to say that you're still awesome. Thank you for all the hard work in what amounts to posting TWICE a shitload of videos, on top of all your hard work setting up, recording, troubleshooting, post-processing, editing, and encoding.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

UraniumAnchor posted:

I honestly don't know. It's the only game that had this severe of a problem. I was able to fix up Kevin's Tetris board in post by adjusting the luma levels, but this is too far beyond that. I also don't remember it being this much of a problem in the past, though admittedly it hasn't ever really looked good.

I might just have to find a cart of it myself and try to get to figure something out myself because this has been a persistent problem with this game in particular.

Huh. That's super weird. I remember Peaches playing it on stream and it working fine there, so that's extremely bizarre. Thanks for trying your best and giving it your all, in any case.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
why are people giving these jackasses such a hard time about the tech. theres the fact that they have to configure stuff for like fifty billion different games sometimes having particular edge case scenarios and also having to handle specific stuff like the aforementioned tetris thing, and what i imagine an insane setup of devices relaying video all over the goddamn place. like yeah ok give the guy some heads up that his game is gonna look darker than kobe bryants rear end in a top hat barely caressed by the moonlight but man, they are not video encoding jesus cut them some slack.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
People don't understand how much work it takes to actually do something like a *GDQ and don't really understand how difficult their "common sense suggestions" are to implement. I mean, go look at the lovely Kickstarter thread to see the gobs of people who think, "This is gonna be like Call of Duty, but like Better, and set in Vietnam 2" is worthy of other people giving them money.

You are coming at this from the point of view where you appreciate from a technical standpoint the things that are being done. Most people don't have any grasp of that kind of stuff, and that means they have little patience for it. In an era where people are watching Twitch on smartphones they are not ready to believe it when you tell them that certain technical problems are difficult to solve.

About 5 years ago I was in a job where I was spending the majority of my time explaining a technical pipeline to non-business people. They would never ever accept that certain things they were asking for were simply impossible. They would then come back with, "but <Fortune 500 company> is doing it" to which my reply would be that <Fortune 500 company> is actually just using their capital to hire a poo poo ton of people to do thing they were asking for by hand. Them choosing to believe poo poo from chronically over-promising and under-delivering contractors is the reason that is a job I used to have.

So, yeah, if you are one of those kinds of people who perceives technology as magic then it feels like a lie when people who know more than you tell you something is impossible. That is how come people can be such huge jackasses about this stuff.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 8, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

ErIog posted:

People don't understand how much work it takes to actually do something like a *GDQ and don't really understand how difficult their "common sense suggestions" are to implement. I mean, go look at the lovely Kickstarter thread to see the gobs of people who think, "This is gonna be like Call of Duty, but like Better, and set in Vietnam 2" is worthy of other people giving them money.

You are coming at this from the point of view where you appreciate from a technical standpoint the things that are being done. Most people don't have any grasp of that kind of stuff, and that means they have little patience for it. In an era where people are watching Twitch on smartphones they are not ready to believe it when you tell them that certain technical problems are difficult to solve.

I'd be willing to bet you a whole bunch of money that some(not all) of the problems that have arisen over the years since CGDQ have been simple problems with simple solutions. This isn't all high-tech A/V wizardry problems so let's not act like this is a bunch of people who make gobs of money being the best in the biz and by god if they can't fix a problem nobody can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

So, yeah, if you are one of those kinds of people who perceives technology as magic then it feels like a lie when people who know more than you tell you something is impossible. That is how come people can be such huge jackasses about this stuff.
Your overall point is good, but for somebody who sorta-referenced Arthur C. Clarke's third law, you seem not to know about his first: "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong." This is why business folks (like Steve Jobs) are willing to push against what tech people say is impossible, even if they're wrong sometimes.

That being said, asking a tech person to try and do something "impossible" goes down a lot better when you're actually paying them money to try, which none of us are doing here.

• Locked thread