Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Renegret posted:

That video is really funny and should be in the next gdq gently caress the haters

Agreed

It's funny that got deleted outright but not the submission for uhh faceball where the vid was just a seal in some water spinning around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ekster posted:

So why were Touhou games ever allowed.

Hope springs eternal that pedo anime fans can stop looking the part for a whole 15 minutes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

submitted this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wtgApf0ns4

It got deleted outright instead of being rejected and despite it being a joke submission they decided to press the matter over SDA and Twitter. I honestly don't know why but it being deleted instead of rejected actually annoyed them enough to bug everyone about it and I guess from that they decided against letting shunpuk run. At least, that's the explanation that makes the most sense so far.

i think it's profoundly idiotic to shitcan the best SH run submitted over a dumb joke but at the same time, that dumb joke really wasn't worth the canter anyway and I don't know why they went bothering people over it nothing good could've come from it.

ugh
Wait you mean the GDQ organizers are humorless poindexters? No way!!!!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm sorry that SH3 made it in but if that person seriously made a joke entry in the past and then took things too far in complaining when it was removed from the already bloated list of games then I think they can't really complain so much when their future entries are also not taken seriously.

Edit: Also I like Big Jon and think he is engaging and entertaining but I still think Golf is a bonus game or setup filler at best.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I think someone should do an actual speedrunnable Touhou game like Shoot the Bullet sometime instead of garbage fan games. Touhou gets a lot of bad rap due to its fandom, but the actual real games aren't bad.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Who's the sick nazi gently caress that decided LESS Big Jon was a good idea?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
"nah this chill dude that everyone likes won't be a draw at all"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WqMMBBUMY

"Gentlemen, WE HAVE FOUND OUR RUNNER"

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm not gonna go off on some kind of crazy screed or anything, but I am legitimately disappointed Golf didn't make it in; Big Jon is consistently wonderful, and his runs are fun to watch. I guess they're just concerned that a lot of people are going to see 'oh it's GOLF whatever' and tune out despite the fact that it's going to have one of the better runners/commentators at the events? Also a shame about a run being declined due to a joke, but if you're going to make a fuss over wasting the already limited time of socially inept nerds trying to juggle the demands of a charity marathon, I can't say I'm surprised it happened.

Big Jon being unable to get a Golf run does feel a little weird in the context of a lot of stuff that more consistently makes it in, like Touhou and weird little indie platform adventure games. I would've figured they'd be happy to pad it in with a Mario 2/Lost Levels run if he'd submit both, but I guess that hasn't happened yet.

And, belatedly, I'm not sure there's THAT much blame to assign for the gamepro11 thing; with this many runners and submissions to sort through, occasionally some people are going to get up there that, uh, don't handle public performance well. They handled the aftermath well enough from what I recall.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Was it gdq or esa that had the lawnmower game?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ToastyPotato posted:

Sucks for Big Jon. He just got a WR on golf and then hours later is rejected because the game is "too repetitive". It's a 10 minute run for crying out loud, and it isn't like Jon is some kind of awful runner. According to him he had the biggest growth in followers of any runner last GDQ and second biggest the GDQ before that. So it isn't like people hated him or something. Saying a game is repetitive when it is an NES game that runs under 15 minutes is really bad, especially since other fairly dull games than run way longer than that will inevitably make it. There are boring parts of Zelda runs that last longer than 15 minutes.

I can understand Price is Right being rejected though, but only for potential legal reasons.

10 minute game too repetitive, here have the same 6 hour JRPG run that's been in the past half dozen marathons, and also Metroid (PS KILL THE ANIMALS LOL)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The second Metroid ceases to raise more money than the average game I honestly think they'd give it a break but the donation war is a week long and raises like 20%-30% of the total, it'd be incredibly stupid to remove that game. Even if half the people donating do it to donate and just put it towards save/kill a ton of people just donate specifically for that, especially in the last 6-12 hours of the timer, and you risk losing a bunch of money by removing the game and banking on people finding another reason to donate.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that mel gibson thing looks stupid and dumb and gay and im glad its not in but that doesnt mean a dumb joke should mean no silent hill

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Ekster posted:

So why were Touhou games ever allowed.

Touhou block was super good last marathon.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this shunpuk guy has a shitload of videos on silent hill 3 strats and seems to know it fairly well (and runs abe's oddyssey!! oh man!!)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

Touhou block was super good last marathon.

I didn't watch it because why would you speedrun a bullet hell shmup.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm not gonna go off on some kind of crazy screed or anything, but I am legitimately disappointed Golf didn't make it in; Big Jon is consistently wonderful, and his runs are fun to watch. I guess they're just concerned that a lot of people are going to see 'oh it's GOLF whatever' and tune out despite the fact that it's going to have one of the better runners/commentators at the events?
Yeah, it's a pretty easy rejection based on name alone. I think it would really fit nicely in one of the weird late night blocks but I wouldn't be surprised if half of Twitch just closes their browser if they hear that golf is up next. I have zero doubt in my mind that he could make it entertaining and engage the people who actually stick around to watch, but that's a bridge too far.

Instead they went with the 'too repetitive' which makes me think they just skipped around in the video, but when you've got literally hundreds of videos to get through I can see why they would do that. And they're not wrong; if you seek around randomly in one of Jon's highlights and just glance at them briefly it's all the same poo poo. That's not why it's good, but the explanation takes more time than organizers have to spare.

Personally I think he should just go to ESA instead and do the whole hour on JP version, and hang out with the chill Euros. If he gets in on Lost Levels again of course he will just do that.

ArfJason posted:

that mel gibson thing looks stupid and dumb and gay and im glad its not in but that doesnt mean a dumb joke should mean no silent hill
After the chibi incident and the controllerhead incident and the Crash Bandicoot incident, they're bound to be oversensitive about anyone showing any signs of 'wackiness' submitting a run. You're right but they're also right.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 13, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ArfJason posted:

(and runs abe's oddyssey!! oh man!!)

I'm jelly, that game is rough if youre bad at that style of platforming

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ArfJason posted:

this shunpuk guy has a shitload of videos on silent hill 3 strats and seems to know it fairly well (and runs abe's oddyssey!! oh man!!)

Shunpuk is hands down the best runner of Silent Hill 3 by a fairly wide margin, she knows that game stupidly well and she recently uploaded a run to SDA (it's in public verification right now iirc) with extremely detailed and pretty interesting run-notes! Would've been good to see it get run at a marathon by someone who actually knows the game really well.

the abe run is tight as poo poo but that also went from "Waitlist" to "rejected" after the thing.

ArfJason posted:

pretty much yeah, I mean I don't think they ever expected it to get in so I don't know why they went annoying people over it especially since it doesn't look like we're going to get another SH game past first round cuts. Tekkie might get Homecoming through. Might. It's the only one that hasn't been rejected flat out because every other submission was either ran at a recent marathon or the pitch was kind of terrible (the SH4 guy where the 16th word in the pitch was "RNG" and also lying about having world record because he refuses to acknowledge multiple better runs comes to mind but he's not the only one who did a poo poo pitch for an SH game).

Homecoming is actually a really cool speedrun even if the game is terrible, so I'd be ok if at least that got in but I'm not holding my breath. They rejected the actually very interesting "All Bosses" category but Any% is still being considered? Weird.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Time for you to make your own Scary Games Done Quick marathon. Invite your buddy dith along, I'm sure he knows all kinds of scary, horrifying games to speedrun

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

FirstAidKite posted:

Time for you to make your own Scary Games Done Quick marathon. Invite your buddy dith along, I'm sure he knows all kinds of scary, horrifying games to speedrun

I think there's actually something akin to that happening on Oct 30-31, srg's Spookathon or something. Should be alright, spooky games are very much my jam. I won't have a game ready in time for it unfortunately because the only way I can stream Silent Hill these days is pointing my loving laptop webcam at a TV (yes, really) and I've been spending all my time learning Freedom Planet anyway.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

MooCowlian posted:

Was it gdq or esa that had the lawnmower game?

you mean lawnmower man or do you mean the game they played in the finals of mystery tournament 6or7 iirc?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I like Big Jon and sometimes watch him on Twitch, but if he's playing Golf I just tune out. That game is boring as watching grass grow and not even Big Jon can save it.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
It's loving golf people jesus come on

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Ekster posted:

Because instead they played a YS cone and a multitasking puzzle-platformer.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ArfJason posted:

yes

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ekster posted:

I don't know, you tell me.

Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler and actually extremely legit and good choices for speedgames

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I think rejecting a game because it's too repetitive is just a poo poo excuse to say "we can't make money off this" because every year we've had metroid and mario and it's loving boring now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People like to forget that the primary goal of the marathon is to raise money for charity and entertainment value, though very important, is still secondary

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
There's a difference between "same really loving good speedrun in a marathon" boring and "lovely 10 minute game that is literally just golf" boring. A good commentator doesn't mean it should be in. Big jon is cool but jesus the big jon circlejerk is fuckin annoying.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd bet money that part of the consideration to whether a game gets in is if it'd be interesting to a random person who doesn't follow speedruns + as awesome as big jon is, it's still speedrunning golf.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Stink Terios posted:

Because instead they played a YS cone and a multitasking puzzle-platformer.

It'd be cool if we had an actual Ys game at one of these events, although the problem with them is that you can't turn cutscenes off (as far as I know) which is a huge shame because besides that fact a few of them are pretty good speed games.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Just submit it as Mario RPG or an FF game, then pull out the surprise at the last moment.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

heeheex2 posted:

There's a difference between "same really loving good speedrun in a marathon" boring and "lovely 10 minute game that is literally just golf" boring. A good commentator doesn't mean it should be in. Big jon is cool but jesus the big jon circlejerk is fuckin annoying.

Oh i dont give a poo poo about big john or his stupid golf game. I'm more talking about other runs that had potential really.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/YashichiDSF/status/654125996803649536

lol

removing submissions for poo poo they did on their own stream and now this, what a glorious shitshow GDQ is turning out to be, and it hasn't even happened

looking forward to the diversity workshop mid stream :mmmhmm:

UA threatens to stab a guy in the neck, he's still in, guy makes a distasteful joke, BANNED.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 14, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah I'm sure his story is 100% true

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

You don't seem to know a thing about Yashichi or how he got SRG's Twitch account permabanned. Please continue white knighting him though, by all means.

Edit: I guess their Twitch isn't permabanned anymore? I dunno. It was banned for a time, though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Yea combined with the SRG thing it makes sense but why would that be relevant?

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

heeheex2 posted:

Yea combined with the SRG thing it makes sense but why would that be relevant?

"why is something that happened involving a speedrunning marathon relevant to a speedrunning marathon"

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

TKImpulse posted:

"why is something that happened involving a speedrunning marathon relevant to a speedrunning marathon"

It's not like yashi is running the thon. I'd hate for my conduct in a stupid memefest shitshow marathon wouldn't make people not want to have me run in other marathons.Obviously he did a really loving stupid thing, but it's not hard for them to just say "hey, this was stupid, don't do anything stupid for your run".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

It's not like yashi is running the thon. I'd hate for my conduct in a stupid memefest shitshow marathon wouldn't make people not want to have me run in other marathons.Obviously he did a really loving stupid thing, but it's not hard for them to just say "hey, this was stupid, don't do anything stupid for your run".

lmao what did he stupid in the meme marathon

• Locked thread