Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

The Rokstar posted:

Maybe some games will get skips like that, but for the most part you'd have to completely circumvent the game's programming so it's doubtful.

tasbot has shown they can do exactly that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Darbian just knocked off 1.8 seconds off the Any% record for lost levels.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Kikas posted:

Seriously tho, a random Peaches shoiwng up and playing Typing of The Dead was pretty cool for NASA.

Yea I was actually in town to visit family, and ACEN was going on in the area so I showed up for a bit and hung out with cyghfer, who told me NASA was going on (I had no idea it was that weekend). I pulled into the parking lot for NASA and naegleria was walking around and told me the next several runners were busy with a game of Werewolf, and if I wanted to give them time to finish up I could run Typing of the Dead since someone brought their dreamcast copy. Pretty good series of coincidences.

I thought nasa was a good time, it felt like older gdq's. Most people mention the small size or the un-PC atmosphere but the thing I missed the most about older gdq's was how easy it was to just wander up and sit right behind the couch and watch a game or runner I've never heard of before from the TV they're playing on. The whole stage/crowd audience thing of recent gdq makes it feel disconnected as an IRL viewer. The other stuff kinda shines through on stream so I thought I'd just throw that out there as attendee feedback.

Also old gdq's were pretty lovely logistically so I hope nobody takes nasa's hiccups as a sign that the community shouldn't challenge the status quo of speed marathons.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

furry drum circle posted:

Also old gdq's were pretty lovely logistically so I hope nobody takes nasa's hiccups as a sign that the community shouldn't challenge the status quo of speed marathons.

Yeah cuz RPGLB and ESA and DeuceCon weren't already showing that smaller marathons can work and be a lot of fun. :v:

RPGLB last year in particular was like stepping into a time machine back to the first SGDQs.

Except strangely we were a LOT better about keeping the house clean this time around.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

UraniumAnchor posted:

Yeah cuz RPGLB and ESA and DeuceCon weren't already showing that smaller marathons can work and be a lot of fun. :v:

RPGLB last year in particular was like stepping into a time machine back to the first SGDQs.

Except strangely we were a LOT better about keeping the house clean this time around.

Oh, I just wanted to say that because I saw several tweets blasting nasa for production related stuff. Either deucecon and rpglb went a lot smoother or everyone just wants to poo poo on naegleria, either way I just thought the standards were a little high for a first-time community marathon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baram. posted:

tasbot has shown they can do exactly that, though.

Yeah that's what brought it to mind. I mean when TAS input can implement whole other games in SMW, you start to think that maybe it could input something else that forces auto-scrollers to behave like normal scrolling levels for the rest of the run. And that would completely change how TAS runs of all-exits SMW get done.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

fishmech posted:

Yeah that's what brought it to mind. I mean when TAS input can implement whole other games in SMW, you start to think that maybe it could input something else that forces auto-scrollers to behave like normal scrolling levels for the rest of the run. And that would completely change how TAS runs of all-exits SMW get done.

lets do this just to bring all the rabid anti-rom corruption commenters that want to keep runs pure and clean out of the woodwork again

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Once you do anti-autoscroll stuff you're well into Arbitrary Code Execution and you're competing with credits warps. What you guys describe sounds cool but it's a bit of a no-man's land, categorically speaking

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 24, 2016

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
NASA has been an incredibly fun marathon, the main draw to me is the sense of inclusion because of how few people there were. No* stream monsters is such an amazing thing. Everyone pretty much got to know everyone, it wasn't just cliques with cliques (other than the loving mumble crew but they still would hang out with everyone most of time). Also the venue was fuckin incredible and the food and things around the hotel were awesome.

Also there was a good arcade like a 15 minute drive away

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Are there any youtube uploads or twitch highlights of individual runs available?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

heeheex2 posted:

NASA has been an incredibly fun marathon, the main draw to me is the sense of inclusion because of how few people there were. No* stream monsters is such an amazing thing. Everyone pretty much got to know everyone, it wasn't just cliques with cliques (other than the loving mumble crew but they still would hang out with everyone most of time). Also the venue was fuckin incredible and the food and things around the hotel were awesome.

Also there was a good arcade like a 15 minute drive away

Heehee, you are the stream monsters.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Full Circle posted:

Are there any youtube uploads or twitch highlights of individual runs available?

They have local recordings that'll go up when they're not using potato powered internet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, I just wanted to say that because I saw several tweets blasting nasa for production related stuff. Either deucecon and rpglb went a lot smoother or everyone just wants to poo poo on naegleria, either way I just thought the standards were a little high for a first-time community marathon.

Its funny how many people forget how poo poo CQDQ was from a quality perspective, right down to the hotel being poo poo and them moving the whole thing to Uyama's basement.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, it was watchable around two thirds of the time, the other third being when the entire audio feed had tons of static for several hours and the times the potato internet broke the stream. The game audio was desynched nearly the entire time too but I got used to it.

Not nearly as much trainwreck as I was expecting, anyway. And everyone seems to have had fun so gently caress it

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

Its funny how many people forget how poo poo CQDQ was from a quality perspective, right down to the hotel being poo poo and them moving the whole thing to Uyama's basement.

Still had my favorite LoZ1 run. Poor Breakdown just wanted some pizza, man!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I was just thinking about how sad and mad I am that The Sunday Sequence Break is done. Can we make it come back somehow? If not, is there some equivalent, maybe 3/4s as good? I'd take that.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also I'm aware of The Final Split w/SpikeVegeta and co and think it has it's place but it doesn't fulfill my needs

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

having world record highlights and then a featured game, and it's basically all gameplay video, no faces, it was so great

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zas posted:

having world record highlights and then a featured game, and it's basically all gameplay video, no faces, it was so great

Yeah, I agree, I kinda miss TSSB. IMO the best speedrunning podcast thing of that nature, I don't really dig The Final Split or any of the other ones of that ilk.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and one more thing and I'm done, but for anyone who likes seeing the broad sweep of everything going on lately, but also enjoys hearing about the mechanics of any given run in a really straightforward way...it's perfect... so much better than agdq for that because there's no extra bullshit, it's all straight and to the point. and on the other hand you don't have to stalk runner streams for hours and hours slowly learning about each trick. someone make a new one I'll pay some money for that

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hey guys, a little request for an idea I'm trying to flesh out:

Could someone point me towards a list of, or just mention them here, some of the more iconic movement techs in speedrunning?

I'm talking about things like the Mario 64 infinite stair "butt bounce", Shinesparking, or whatever it's called in Castlevania SOTN when you slip around everywhere.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crain posted:

Could someone point me towards a list of, or just mention them here, some of the more iconic movement techs in speedrunning?

I'm talking about things like the Mario 64 infinite stair "butt bounce", Shinesparking, or whatever it's called in Castlevania SOTN when you slip around everywhere.
Backwards long jumping. BLJ is the term you probably want to google for that one?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Supersliding and its variants in the N64 Zeldas immediately come to mind

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Crain posted:

Not quite what you were looking for, but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/3n70wx/most_obtrusive_movement_in_a_game/

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Backwards long jumping. BLJ is the term you probably want to google for that one?

tiistai posted:

Supersliding and its variants in the N64 Zeldas immediately come to mind

These are perfect. Thanks guys.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hello Kitty Roller Rescue has collide-boost where grinding against objects makes you go faster because the game applies axis speeds separately.

Sonic Colors has the B-boost cancel where cancelling your boost and holding forward after a quick boost causes you to go faster because the boost is programmed with a falloff.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

G-Mach posted:

Darbian just knocked off 1.8 seconds off the Any% record for lost levels.

He got all of the framerules? of course the day the power goes out he does it...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Dunno how "iconic" it is but Super Mario 3D World has Cat Momentum

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much every movement or technique Cosmo used in the any% Zelda run

Also how welcome are emulators in speed runs? I want to try out running crash twinsanity but I'm not sure how I would feel about having to go out and buy a ps2 just for that game

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Luna Was Here posted:

Also how welcome are emulators in speed runs?

Depends entirely on the game and its community.

The rules on http://www.speedrun.com/twinsanity specifically say "PS2 emulators are banned!" so yeah.

e: For example for OoT running on PJ64 is "fine" but your runs won't get verified on the leaderboards

tiistai fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 24, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Luna Was Here posted:

Pretty much every movement or technique Cosmo used in the any% Zelda run

Also how welcome are emulators in speed runs? I want to try out running crash twinsanity but I'm not sure how I would feel about having to go out and buy a ps2 just for that game

I think generally emulators are fine, but you get a speed penalty or some poo poo due to better load times or something like that.

If you don't care about trying to hit world records and being twitch famous + rich for playing an obscure game fast, then who cares?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The best speedrunning movement is ABH in source games, especially when they're doing it while also portalling through the walls and into the eighth dimension.

As for emulators, it kind of depends on the community, since some consoles are emulated better than others and rules are basically made by whoever got there first and took the leaderboard moderation spot. In terms of buying a PS2, though, can't you get them for $20 on ebay or something at this point?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Don't forget that a lot of games re-released on the Virtual Console emulators tend to be ok for records (sometimes intheir own categories) even when other emulators aren't allowed.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
TSSB will probably never come back. Feasel's attention is mostly on Speed Gaming League now.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

One of my partners for Midwest Speedfest had a pretty cool poster made up

Schedule Stream Link

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 25, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

One of my partners for Midwest Speedfest had a pretty cool poster made up

Schedule Stream Link

thats a good poster

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo man, thats a pretty good schedule too

will watch when I can

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The 2016 Doom any% run is now down to 1:12:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd04twsxosc

The first run that was out after the game came out was about 6 hours, and that was like 2 weeks ago

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Eonwe posted:

thats a good poster

enough about flatluigi already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Eonwe posted:

thats a good poster

S'pose I can link the artist too.

Yeah the schedule came together pretty nicely, our event doesn't have much draw in the community since we got kind of upstaged when SGDQ moved into town last year. People would rather only be stuck in Minnesota if there are going to be a lot of their internet friends there too.

• Locked thread