Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

On the subject of TASes purely designed for entertainment, one of the most famous examples is the Family Feud Glitchfest by Heisanevilgenius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

:bubblewoop: It's Duckfist time! He's running MM9 Buster Only and MM10 normally, and I consider both to be must watch runs.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

furry drum circle posted:

So Riven caused their computer to repeatedly lock up, and InsipidMuckyWater got in a car accident on the way to Utah (thank god he's fine), but Toejam and Earl is getting cut as a result. I was legitimately pumped for both :sigh: oh well, there's still Quake II for tonight.

Fuuuuuuck TJ&E was the one I was looking forward to most! Glad to hear he's okay, but the cut is a bummer, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Kingdom Hearts vs. Kingdom Hearts 2 bidding war got fierce in a hurry. :stare:

Thanks to that, though, the marathon passed its $15k goal!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The two KH2 runners finished literally seconds apart :aaaaa:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

UraniumAnchor posted:

However, neither of the DVRs recorded a single frame of gameplay. 60 hours of black on both of them. That's what I get for not checking the cables myself. We still have the xsplit recordings, so we can trim and upload those, but goddammit. :suicide:

Wow, that sucks. That's one of those things where you just have to laugh at yourself then shrug it off and make the best of what you got. I imagine it's a mistake you guys won't make next time, so there's that at least.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo says at the 12-hour mark he's going to speedrun some silly category that nobody else has done before :horse: I hope my grandpa's 85th birthday corn roast doesn't go that late!!

C'mon, Peachers, you can't rush a good corn roast. At least JTV archives should be there to save you if you miss the silly category.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yaaaay Cosmo's playing with the extremely childish filename I donated for. :iamafag:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Money well spent... Lardass is killin it right now.

Lardass had a rough run in the middle portion of the game, where Cosmo's route splits from the Japanese WR route, but hopefully he can pull it together and finish strong.

Edit: Lardass died in the Volvagia fight. :(

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo's in the middle of his special new category run. It's an absolutely no rupees run, even silver rupees, and has been affectionately dubbed the Hobocarina run.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo "1 Second" Wright is a minute ahead of the WR just after beating Volvagia, the runkiller of the day. Could this be the one!?!?!

http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright

edit: 2:40:44. Congratulations Cosmo :toot:

Dang, I fell asleep, just woke up and saw he pulled it off.

Also the JTV Staff Dudes have said this will be permanently archived, so that's pretty neat.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo's doing a hilarious OoT run based on a puzzle put forth by Sockfolder, where he has to get the Mirror Shield, Kokiri Gauntlets, and Zora Tunic but is banned from the following things:

- Requiem
- Zelda's Lullaby
- Magic Beans
- Bombchus
- Deku Sticks
- Gerudo Card
- Hylian Shield
- Cojiro the Cucco and further in that trading line
- Giant Wallet
- Blue Fire outside IC (I don't know what that means)

However, as I was typing that up, it seems Cosmo has already been painted into a corner he may not be able to recover from, due to forgetting about not having the Lullaby.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

HoldYourFire posted:

Outside Ice Cavern?

Ok, I should've realized that. I'm one of those weird guys that never really played through OoT but still likes watching it speedran, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

This is fantastic. I will totally be there stream monstering as much as possible.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

XkyRauh posted:

You speedrun Keen4? That's neat. :) Hopefully I can tune in!

The Keen 4 run is a guest appearance by Cosmo, actually, who's perhaps more famous for his recent retaking of the Ocarina of Time Medallions/Stones/Trials World Record during his own 24 hour marathon.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some of the numbers are missing from your description. Examples:

- SDA has raised over ,000 for various charities.
- One random person who donates or more towards the winning name

Also drat I wanna win that TJandE poster!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Maybe just remove all the $ and write the word dollars instead?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, I don't think that Keen4 record is ever getting broken.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo (and several others) are doing another OoT Puzzle Race: http://justin.tv/cosmowright

This time, the goal is to get the Fire Medallion, and the following things are banned:

- Deku Shield
- Deku Stick
- Goron Tunic
- Bombchus
- Bottles (so no Bottle Adventure or Reverse BA)
- Heart Pieces or Containers
- No using Bomb Flowers as Adult Link
- Adult Link Trade Quest Items

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Unfortunately I have no choice but to admit that FF7 will be a cash cow and bring in a ton of donations... I imagine the bidding war for Cloud's date alone will be ridiculous.

This is pretty much the heart of the entire matter. If it were just about putting together the most diverse and interesting lineup of speedruns possible, all 12 hours of FF7 probably wouldn't even make the first list, much less the final roster. However, the primary goal of the marathon is to make money, and FF7 is still a massively popular game, has incredible nostalgia factor, and will probably cause a shitload of donations for various silly things like you mentioned.

Now, as for completely super redundant runs, including Portal 1 for the 4th time (AGDQ, JRDQ, SGDQ, being the first three), especially when Romscout's previous runs of the game have been somewhat lacking, just seems pointless when they're also including Portal 2. Of course, both of these games are hugely popular as well and will at least generate donations for the room to sing that drat ending song yet again, so I can see why both are on the list here, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So where's this Keen 4 run? All I can find is one from 2006. :psyduck:

http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright/b/293465238

factorialite posted:

Pretty psyched (again) about TJ+E, and it's definitely what I'm most looking forward to on the dogathon. Should be amazing, and also painfully, painfully difficult.

I watched Peaches' extensive route planning (read: a couple hours of streaming one night) and I am fully confident he will wreck the poo poo out of the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ahahahahhaha it's OilyMyles time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Peaches and his roommate or friend or whoever are about to co-op run ToeJam and Earl and take shots during the run for high-fives and maybe ship pieces, too. http://justin.tv/peaches__

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Holy poo poo Exo actually did it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Good work Peachers you are the man at being the kid (chameleon).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Former Human posted:

Looks like peaches is about to get a low percent record in Quest64.

http://www.justin.tv/peaches__

That's because peaches is the only person insane and obsessed enough to actually complete a low% Quest 64 run.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

In case people were not aware, not only is Cosmo really loving good at Ocarina of Time, he's also really loving good at Super Monkey Ball. Here's his deathless Master run in 18:54: http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright/b/296382313

His freakout on the last stage is priceless, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I have no idea how to watch nico video :smith:

http://mmcafe.com/nico.html

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Polsy posted:

I'm pretty sure you need an account to watch live streams (I'd assume the accounts you can make on http://www.niconico.com/ work over there but I haven't tried personally)

Oh duh, I wasn't even paying attention to the fact that they were talking about a live stream. My bad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

SDA's marathon schedule just went under some changes: Portal 1, Maverick Hunter X, and Viewtiful Joe have been cut. Deus Ex Human Revolution has been added. Metal Gear Solid is now Twin Snakes. And Jape can't go now so Monkey Ball is no longer a race :^( I'm glad Portal and Maverick Hunter X got cut, those were two of the biggest weak spots in the old schedule imo, being that portal 2 is on the schedule and 1 has been in the last 3 marathons, and Mega Man already had a 6 hour block before MVX. Now there's a little more variety with DE:HR.

Hooray they listened to reason and cut Portal 1. Did they mention why VJ got the axe? I would think that would be a neat game to see run.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

canoshiz posted:

He did the Spirit Temple hover :stare:

Peaches did!? No way! I should've been watching that instead of terrible awful hockey.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo's doing another OoT Training Camp stream with Peaches right now: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Speedrunner but not speedrun related, Cosmo is currently streaming his maiden voyage through Skyward Sword: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

In sort of a change of pace from the usual Bingo Races, a bunch of the usual SRL suspects are doing an OoT Draft Race (think like a football draft but you choose from a list of randomly generated goals to meet in each round). Peaches is streaming his attempt: http://www.justin.tv/peaches__#/w/2123024480

Edit: Apparently the DraftBot broke so they might have to redo the draft from the beginning.
Edit 2: They got it working, the drafted goals are listed here: http://speedrunslive.com/misc/jianophp/draft.php?id=19

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 24, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo started this Blind Run file today, but he actually had started a different one a couple days ago where he was playing an actual speedrun route as opposed to a natural route through the game. Him managing to get Bombchus early without seeing the screen blew my mind.

Also, after 8 hours, he's finally putting the Blind Run Challenge on pause and going with an actual MST run attempt.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Square-Enix games speedrunner extraordinaire Essentia is streaming attempts of single segment Chrono Trigger 100% runs. She's aiming for 5:45. http://www.twitch.tv/essentiafour

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Siglemic is pretty far into a pretty promising run right now, y'all should tune in: http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

Edit: TTC is a harsh mistress. Sig still managed to pull out a 1:49:04 though. His prospects of putting together a WR-beating performance in this week-long thing of his look good to me.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 17, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The timing of this charity marathon is now completely uncanny from my perspective. Last night, after a mere three days of us knowing there was anything seriously wrong at all, my 79 year old grandmother passed away from what was described to us as "a super aggressive form of lymphoma".

She was feeling a little fatigued but otherwise alright earlier this week, so she went to the doctor on Wednesday. At first they thought it was Congestive Heart Failure, which is basically just fluid buildup and extremely manageable. We got the call that she needed to be hospitalized that night and that they thought it was acute leukemia. By Thursday, they determined that it was actually lymphoma and that her white blood cell count had jumped up to 120k (normal is 12k). By Friday, that count had jumped up to 196k and thickened her blood to the point where her body wasn't properly transporting oxygen around; this led to a stroke. By Saturday, any idea of attempting chemotherapy or hope for recovery was gone, and then she was gone less than an hour into Sunday.

It's honestly been such a whirlwind of events and changing information that it's still hard to believe it is real. After all, my grandmother was previously a 9 year survivor of breast cancer, and she had semi-annual blood work tests to monitor for any return of that condition. Her most recent tests in September were completely normal, and yet here we are in mid-December and she's gone. I am only thankful that, in the end, she passed quickly and peacefully, rather than the long, drawn out suffering that her husband - my grandfather - went through due to lung cancer four years ago. With my grandmother's passing, all of my grandparents have now passed, with three of them dying due to various forms of cancer or complications related to cancer.

I'm not telling you all this to garner pity or sympathy. I'm typing it out partly because it's helping me to collect my thoughts and process this whole situation. I'm also posting it because I will be using this or a similar writeup as my first donation's comment to be read on the stream, both as a way of honoring her memory and as a way of driving home just how large an impact cancer can have on so many people and their families. I still don't know that I buy into the idea that cancer can necessarily be prevented, but I'm absolutely down with the idea of working towards better treatments and faster diagnoses. I hope that, if anyone's on the fence about donating to the cause, that this account and others like it might convince you to give what you can during this holiday season.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo was just doing an OoT MST attempt with the filename PapaJohn and was 15 seconds ahead fighting the last Stalfos pair on the way down the collapsing tower when his game froze. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ahaha Sicko owns.

• Locked thread