Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

This is utterly ridiculous. Man I've been out of the loop.

Is 73L still dominating Naija level times? I don't even think any of my previous fastest times are still standing, haha.
If they would only bring back the switch character level restart, or just add in a one button restart level command, I might speedrun this game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

furry drum circle posted:

:suspense:

This sums up my reaction quite nicely.
Ridiculous...

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Why is this being discussed?
Let's talk about going fast and hitting buttons.

On that note, Dustforce is an awesome game that came out a few months ago that people should try if you like IL style platforming games.

I don't usually speedrun games, but this, and super meat boy, make it pretty fun.
Dustforce gets bonus points for having a really good leaderboard/replay implementation, which is refreshing after SMB's more or less useless one.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
The ending of that with the last sentence was absolutely perfect.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
If they're going to sing terribly, I wish they would at least have a mic that doesn't have awful, ear splitting peaking.
I enjoy the sda marathons, but it seems like I always need a keep a trigger finger on my keyboard mute button.

Still, not nearly as bad as one of the earlier ones, where they had someone sitting pretty much right on the mic occasionally yelling really loudly.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Keyboard Kid posted:

Oh poo poo Magical Pop'n is about to go down. This is the best game.

This looks like kirby crossed with megaman, crossed with sonic. How have I never heard of this game?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Dr. Stab posted:

It seems kinda ridiculous to me that going from verified to ready to post takes anything more than a couple hours. Shouldn't it just involve uploading the video to the server and copying and pasting the run notes?

Anecdotal evidence would indicate that they've never migrated beyond hand editing html pages for each and every individual run, among other things.

The "pet project" mindset extends to other things as well. A few years ago, I remember them putting together a teaser video for either one of their marathons, or possible some anniversary.
It was actually pretty decent, but one of the admins posted a several page post describing the making of.
In particular, a single 5 second scene of a 3d pacman moving across the screen was described as a several week-month long effort that required cutting edge technology based on collaboration with graduate level research on surface modeling and animation (grad student a friend of the admin, obviously).
For a solid shaded 3d pacman (sphere with a wedge cut out) moving sideways with its mouth opening and closing via rotation :psyduck:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

It's actually glitchy as hell and there's lots of out of bounds, floating in midair, loading zone exploits, and the fat guy screams HOI HOI and shrinks through walls.

Oh man, Mystical Ninja. I kept playing this game even after my controller pak died and I could no longer save. Don't think I ever went through the entire game in one sitting, though.

Hasn't it been in one of the previous marathons?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

There's a lot of runners eager to investigate suggestions (I'm one of them).

Single segment dustforce all SS ranks.
Come on, someone has to hate themselves enough to do this!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

I really want to emphasize this. I see a lot of people get sucked into a run and try to grind it out just because they feel committed, and it really is the best way to stop enjoying games. If you aren't having fun, you aren't doing video games right IMO. I've dropped all kinds of games because the actual process of getting a run would be horrible, even after having invested a bunch of time into routing them.

Amusingly, the main reason I stopped trying to do IL speedruns in super meat boy was a patch that removed the ability to quickly restart a level. Used to be able to effectively restart a level by switching characters to the one you were using. This took a fraction of a second.
An update made this no longer work, so to restart, you either had to exit, or find a way to kill yourself.

Speedrunning with Naija involved a lot of near frame perfect, or otherwise precise tricks, so I would reset as soon as I missed something.

It sounds kind of fantastically trivial, since death is not often that far away in meat boy, but it was pretty annoying, and made improving times take much longer in practice, since individual attempts tended to be extremely short.
If they'd just added an actual reset button, I'd probably still be running that game.
Instead, I started playing dustforce, so team meat is also indirectly responsible for the pain I'm going through trying to SS rank yotta difficult right now.

fake edit:
I have no idea what version, if any, SDA settled on for the PC version, since old versions were faster and all versions are fantastically glitchy / inconsistent, I was just doing it because I thought it was fun at the time.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

TheQat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4lAIp-mFY&feature=youtube_gdata_player I had never seen dustforce yotta before and uhh... Well you're braver than me, that's for sure.

I'm actually pretty close now (I don't want to think about how much time I've spent total, though). This is probably made harder since I don't watch other people's runs for a level until I manage to SS it at least once, since I like to figure things out myself initially.
Even worse, once I SS it I'll probably try to get in the top 10. Although, that might happen just from SS'ing it, since only 21 people have an SS rank on it at all.

I'm nowhere near the level of Krankdud, Marksel, Ted, etc in dustforce, though. Those guys are awesome and insane.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

It's called Dustforce. It's a really cool platformer about a family of cleaners, and yes, it's on Steam. Buy it, play it, love it.

To add on, if you like challenging but fair platformers, you should definitely give it a shot.

It does have an odd difficulty curve with a few near vertical walls, but I really enjoyed it. The latest version made some changes to how levels are unlocked that makes it significantly more sane to unlock the later levels, only requiring an SA or AS rank to get keys (each level is ranked on both completion and finesse). Previously, this required getting SS ranks on a level in order to unlock the harder levels.

It also has an excellent leaderboard and replay system, that lets you watch anyone's replays as long as you've completed the level once. The leaderboard system is also not horrendously bugged and broken like the one in super meat boy!

Also, like I mentioned before, Krankdud is both amazing and insane. SS for all levels in one sitting in any amount of time is absurd.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

UraniumAnchor posted:

IWBTG was/is very crash happy but I think at this point people have figured out how to avoid the worst ones so it's more likely to end up in a marathon now. I think. My memory is a bit fuzzy on it.

The fact that IWTBTG was so crash prone did result in one hilarious moment in the later part of the game.
Doesn't excuse the fact that the game was buggy and crash prone, but at least it got a chuckle.

I had the joy of watching a friend encounter that room a few days after I did, and that was a glorious few moment of confused silence.

This was almost as amusing as watching the first time he got to the castle level in nethack when he attempted to open the drawbridge door by zapping at it :)

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Pie's friend Sparrow is almost 28 hours in on the Chip's Challenge race, the only one left still playing, and he's on level 128: http://www.twitch.tv/sparrowstreams

This is triggering some latent PTSD I didn't know I had.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Marksel is attempting to do a blindfolded any% run of dustforce, the basic idea of which is kind of nuts: http://www.twitch.tv/marksel

Navigating the open nexus appears nightmarish compared to the actual levels.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 26, 2013

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
He's at hideout and this is wonderful.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

EDIT: What a monster, he actually beat Hideout.

And clock tower, which was nuts. I think he might actually make it.

E-Tap posted:

So uh... did he just get the 23rd best time on that stage blindfolded?! :psyduck:

Unfortunately no. on the lower right it shows your best time on that level. He's also connected as "Anonymous" and not his actual user account. I'm not sure if thats intentional or not, but happens if you get disconnected from steam for some reason.

The time for the most recent completion is shown in the bottom left, but only after a few seconds after it shows your rank. For speedruns you usually exit the level manually before it shows up.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Studio posted:

Real scared of the flight to and from Dulles

If it makes you feel any better, I flew to Dulles a few weeks ago. As we were about to land, the winds started picking up rocking and twisting the plane constantly as we approached the runway, making it have to turn several times on approach. When we got over on top the runway, maybe 100 feet off the ground, a gust of wind rolled the plane far enough that I could almost see the center of the runway from the window, at which point the pilot aborted the landing, pitched up, and gunned the engines, making a sound that I hope to never to hear on a passenger plane ever again. The second landing attempt was still rough, and we hit the ground pretty fast, but hey, still alive :)

Hmmm...maybe that doesn't make you feel better...

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Studio posted:

So when I read this I went from "Oh boy the weather has been decent if he opened with a positive line! :)" To increasingly frowny frown and awkward laughter.

On an actual positive note, flying to dulles is usually boring as hell, and the most annoying thing will probably be dealing with the idiotic shuttle system to get between gates. Technically, there is a tram and underpass now, but not to all gates and you probably have to walk a bit to use them.

That experience was one of the only two times I've been terrified on a plane though, in 20+ years. The other being flying nearly into a lightning storm in a 10-12 seater.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
One of the two best dustforce speedrunners is doing any% practice right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/tmluffy

Come listen to super chill background music and high speed dusting.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Watching a little bit of bertin's archived stream, he mentions playing demon souls before, so its really not that surprising.

e: I have the reading comprehension of a house fly, ugh. Sorry.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I'm still traumatized from Deadly Towers.

I still have the cart and a working NES. I actually tried to start it up again now that I'm not 8, to see if it was actually as bad as I remembered, but I guess I need to clean the contacts or something because it was hard to even start and didn't stay properly seated for long.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Alteisen posted:

TMR just spent the last 6 hours exploring and drawing maps for deadly towers only to try the final boss for a 4th time and discover that standing in the corner renders the boss harmless. :allears:

The second screen of this game defeated me as a kid.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

SeXReX posted:

I think some games needed the little save pack thing that would slip into your controller and I want to say quest64 was one of them.

I rented Quest64 once, and even child me got supremely bored with it. Don't think I made it past the city/hub with the water everywhere.

In contrast, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon was a game that I instantly enjoyed and played several times even after my save pack stopped working entirely. I would just play through most of the game in one sitting. Incidentally, thanks to whoever it was that posted that recent TAS a few days ago. That was a massive nostalgia bomb.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Okay, its not technically a speedrun since its actually one of the slowest recorded SS ranks, but this is basically the single most demanding platforming challenge that I've ever managed to overcome and I'm beside myself that I've finally managed to complete it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_xvEO6bSc

For context, this is the final "extra" level of dustforce, from a set of levels the dev's patched into the game several months after release as extra content for players that had managed to SS rank all the other levels in the game. Its by far the longest and most challenging level and I've been on and off attempting this for more than a year...
I'm pretty sure I had a minor heart attack with that whiff that nearly killed me at the end and forced me to use the super safe strat for the final section.

Incidentally, dustforce is an amazing platformer and everyone should give it a shot. It has basically the best leaderboard/replay implementation or pretty much any game out there, and the community of folks actually good at the game remain incredibly active / competitive. There are some crazy people that actually race the all levels SS rank category, which includes this level, which is nuts.

And, uh, since this is the speedrun thread, I guess have some horrifically old, outdated, and obsolete runs of super meat boy IL's I did a while back?
And one of the many reasons I don't really play that game anymore? :)

Although, if you're actually interested in super meat boy IL's (PC, all characters), definitely check out this guys videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/1473D/videos

73L, or latedog, or whatever he's renamed himself to recently. He was always more or less the best IL runner, or close to it. But in the last few months or so he's essentially become some kind of transcendent god of meat boy who's ascended to his own plane of reality and its pretty amazing to watch. It looks nuts to begin with, and if you're actually familiar with the mechanics involved its even orders of magnitude more mindblowing. Essentially requiring frame perfect button sequences every 10-11 frames.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 17, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jeffrey posted:

I'd never seen that level before, that's insane, congratulations. Dustforce is an awesome game and I need to pick it back up. It's super-easy to burn out on since its perfect or nothing, but I love it.

MooCowlian posted:

Congrats on that SS. People doing crazy hard things is always entertaining.

For the meat boy stuff, is there anywhere to keep track of the ILs? I occasionally catch the any% and 100% runners on twitch, but I've got no idea if/how to keep track of crazy IL stuff.

Yeah, Dustforce is pretty amazing and has a pretty unique flow for a platformer. Burn out is definitely possible when trying to SS some of the harder levels, and putting the game down for a bit and coming back later is definitely recommended and sometimes even effective at clearing a mental roadblock. I've put the game down myself several times.

Re super meat boy IL tracking, I'm actually not sure. I know for the meat boy character some of the runners maintain a google doc of times for IL's and full game runs but for naija / runman etc I don't know off hand. I've been fairly disconnected from the current community and my only current value to anybody was teaching a few of the newer runners how to superdash. Definitely follow the guy I linked though, if you're interested.

King of Solomon posted:

Hey, congratulations on getting that SS! Yotta is an insane level, so that's one hell of an accomplishment.

Unfortunately I'm - slowly, but surely - reaching the point where I'm going to have to seriously consider playing that level. In my own Dustforce save I've SS'd everything but Peta, Zetta, and Yotta... :sigh:

Thanks too. I think peta is actually one of my least favorite levels in the game, although not nearly the hardest. Something about the way the engine handles those diagonal crumble blocks doesn't seem to work as well as it should and its a bit frustrating. I really love the gimmick/mechanic that's introduced in zetta, though. It was a nice surprise to basically have to learn a new mechanic even after having played the game for so long.

DoctorWhat posted:

Aren't they adding another 16 levels to Dustforce soon?

Goddamnit no! I was supposed to be free! :negative:

Amusingly, I only learned about this yesterday, after I'd finished yotta. I hadn't been keeping up with dustforce news or the community in a while.
As King of Solomon said, by all accounts the new set of levels is intended to round out the middle tier of the game which is great since it should help smooth out the admittedly sharp difficulty spike that exists currently. Also nuts because the game already had a lot of level content prior.
I haven't tried out the new levels yet, but they should be available to try in a steam beta with a few bugs still being ironed out.

Also interesting, the update should add support for online replay viewing through external websites, and the main fan maintained leaderboard viewer is looking to be adding support for it:
http://dustworth.com/

Guy who maintains the site is pretty cool, and hitbox team are pretty awesome for providing API support and updates to make this tracker possible. Another reason why this dev team is fantastic and deserves support.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

I like Zetta's gimmick, but the way they implemented it in the level itself is kinda obnoxious. Also yeah, Peta is no fun at all, though I admit I haven't hosed around with it much. I heard that Peta was instrumental in people figuring out Spikejumps; is there anything to that?

Yeah, Dustworth is a really cool website. I can't wait for them to make replays viewable from there, it'll be really convenient for when something crazy happens, like Clocktower being cut down by ten seconds.

Re peta and spikejumps, I don't know specifically the history but you get accidental "spikejumps" all the time in peta even playing normally, except in a bad way that makes the level frustrating. Basically a spike jump is when a jump is buffered (must have already used up your air charge) during a fast fall onto a 45 degree slope. This lets you jump off the surface, without actually interacting normally with the surface. The speedrun / survival usage is to do this on spike surfaces that would normally kill you, hence the name. However, it also applies to crumble block surfaces, meaning you can jump off them without actually destroying or clearing them. Since this is 90% of peta, it happens all the time accidentally causing you to miss dust and since its a bunch of free floating small platforms, its extremely hard or impossible to go back and pick up missed pieces.

Re clocktower, unfortunately this is the result of an unintentional bug with the most recent beta patch, I believe, and not a new strat. The bug puts the spawn point at the end of the map, which breaks the time, but the leaderboards are still synced to the main game leaderboards :(

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know what a spikejump is, I use it from time to time. Hell, there's a way to get back to the Forest from Abyss that requires a spikejump. Also I'm not sure if it's actually possible to reach Ancient Garden in the new Nexus without a spikejump.

Also, just as a clarification: in my previous post I said they made it harder to get to Abyss. That was me mixing up levels; they made it harder to reach Ruins.

Sorry, I just wanted to explain spikejumps in general for those maybe not familiar with the game. I didn't really connect with other dustforce players until long after spikejumps were a thing so i don't know when they were first discovered. As mentioned, it happens all the time accidentally on peta so I can totally see that being the origin, though.
Amusingly, the fact that I didn't seek out other players for such a long time also meant that I basically have my own set of terminology for various things which occasionally causes confusion when having discussions :)

Definitely excited to explore a new nexus. I really liked the fact that the original one was one connected world, although admittedly one that made the city / lab pretty hard to find for new players even though they have some easy levels in them.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Its already (just) over, but vorpal got a sub 18 minute run in super meat boy:

http://www.twitch.tv/vopeju/c/5795108

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Dustforce any% race, but with invisible character sprites.
Because, you know, the game wasn't hard enough to begin with.

Calistus is the current any% record holder for the DX version.
http://www.twitch.tv/calistus

Full race here:
http://www.speedrunslive.com/race/?id=b37xe

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I've mentioned latedog before as one of the IL gods of super meat boy, especially with the naija character.

He also runs all light world levels with naija. None skipped, but no bosses since those are meat boy only.
Recently got a very good run.

If you're not familiar with naija speedruns, this will probably fizzle your brain.
If you are familiar with naija speedruns and the mechanics of dashes, super dashes, and turnarounds, its orders of magnitude more mind boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDblogx2jx4

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Potential WR pace 106% super meat boy run:
http://www.twitch.tv/latedog

Almost at the end.

e: he got it. 1:18:32
http://www.twitch.tv/latedog/c/6289465

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 10, 2015

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Some nutty guys are having a casual Dustforce DX SS all levels race, which is an absurdly hard category:

http://multitwitch.tv/bluedragoon53/hourglvss/stygma24

e:
stygma24 aka nerphs is the current WR holder for SS all levels.
Blue and hourglass are cool dudes you should watch anyways :)

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 13, 2015

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

SeXReX posted:

every time one of my speedfriends picks up Dustforce they always blueball me and do any%, then end up dropping it because you can't do dustforce without selling your soul to the devil.

The game has an absurd amount of depth in the mechanics. Its a platformer that you could play more or less forever.

ArfJason posted:

Still feeling bad for that dude who tried to do all ss at agdq and was stuck for half an hour on yotta

The number of people who have SS'ed yotta at all sits in the low 70s well over 2 years after its addition. I've managed to do this exactly once and its one of the gaming related things I'm most proud of accomplishing despite it being such a slow run.

Also, I mentioned that nerphs is the new WR holder for all levels SS. This actually happened just a week ago or so, and is the first run on DX to get sub 1 hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA1lZiX8CnM

He's also streaming practice / attempts right now:
http://www.twitch.tv/stygma24

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
http://www.twitch.tv/hourglvss

Dustforce runner trying to improve his SS time on infini difficult.

For context, this level is a hidden joke/easter egg level in the game that makes yotta look like downhill. 2 people have SS'ed this level ever, this person being one of them.
Just surviving this level is a challenge. I've SS'ed yotta difficult, and I'm not able to reach the end of this level.

Definitely worth a watch.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Dustforce 16 red keys race (all levels SS from clean file up through but not including difficults).

http://speedrun.tv/race:mz6vy

Alternatively: http://speedrun.tv/race:mz6vy/dicetherice/thejuuuice/hourglvss/inane_
Although there are a few more people in it than in the second link.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
More dustforce!

One of my friends recently manged to become the 3rd person to ever SS infini difficult, which is a very hidden absurd easter egg level in dustforce that no sane human should ever attempt:
http://www.twitch.tv/bluedragoon53/c/6837173
Fair warning, massive volume spike at the end of that video :)

For me personally, I've recently been trying to learn the dustforce DX any% speedrun route. Finally managed to get a run under 42 minutes with a 41:42:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_nRxAVShc

Its not a top tier run by any means, but sub 42 has been a personal goal of mine for a while, so I'm happy to hit it :)

I might try to learn the 16 red keys category soon (SS ranks on the normal levels).
I don't think I'm nutty enough to try SS all levels, though, which includes the difficults and specifically yotta which I've only SS'ed once.

For comparison, WR for any% is 38:42
http://www.speedrun.com/Dustforce_DX#Any%25_All_Levels_NG%2B

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Taking a break from dustforce posting.

vorpal has been going in on super meat boy any% runs recently, trying to improve his WR. Definitely worth a watch:

http://www.twitch.tv/vorpal

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Dice has been running SS all levels in dustforce, aiming to take back the WR:

http://www.twitch.tv/dicetherice

He's had a couple runs so far going into yotta at WR pace by quite a bit but lost it on yotta.
Worth a watch to see someone tackle on of the most insanely difficult speedrun categories of any game.

edit:
Calistus will be running any% all levels at sgdq this year, which should also be a good watch. But SS all levels is something unlikely to show up at a marathon just for how few people can even complete it, let alone do it quickly.
(Technically, Dustforce's first marathon appearance was SS all levels at one of the gdq's, but the runner ended up not SS'ing yotta. No knock on him though, because just doing that at all is nightmarish)

edit2:
He got the WR!

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Only very loosely a speedrun, but two slightly silly people are attempting to get 16 red keys (one of the three common run categories) in Dustforce using different halves of a single controller at the same time.

http://www.twitch.tv/yumbunz

• Locked thread