Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Am I the only person in the world who finds babies annoying rather than adorable?

No, I'd mute the stream every time it'd start making noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, a few of the games are getting a bit overdone, I would've liked to see some newer things. But popularity comes first since it brings in the donations. I plan on going, even though I'm not running anything. Maybe I'll get some time during the bonus stream, but probably not.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

furry drum circle posted:

It doesn't quite capture the awkwardness of being there in person though, especially without all the lighthearted context of the previous shoutouts. Also I did not realize how loving bored I looked (I was). I hope nobody mistook my ear digging as genuine

I don't remember it too well, but I was standing/sitting off camera waiting for it to end since it dragged on and on. I also wasn't around for those curse-filled runs of his, thankfully.

Don't think he ever talked to me for the whole week, either. Probably afraid of me or something :j:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

It's always amazing what NES carts can do.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

iastudent posted:

Just noticed on the schedule they got rid of the TASBot demonstration. Something happen to it?

Apparently it broke and couldn't be used. Sunset Riders replaced its timeslot.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
At this point, the chat is rather entertaining.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Silento posted:

Care to post some qoutes? I'm running the stream in the background, so I don't have the chat up.
There were a few in there making comments about Jman's mom and that event. One mention how this thread is having a blast watching the breakdown.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Studio posted:

How much has been made from these in the past?
Took these from the various archived marathon pages:

Classic Games Done Quick: $10,000
Awesome Games Done Quick 2011: $52,000
Summer Games Done Quick 2011: $20,000
Awesome Games Done Quick 2012: $149,000

There was a Japan Relief Done Quick in there too, but there's no stats for that one.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
It'll be interesting seeing how the AGDQ game list ends up this year. I'd love to see Wind Waker on there considering how popular it's been in the other streams.

I just know I won't be offering anything since it's so strict.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
His birthday was last week, yeah. Apparently wasn't the best birthday for him, either, but whatever. He annoys me a bit with the outbursts. I prefer his brother mike89, though he's back in school so he hasn't had time to stream.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Another good thing for RPG runs is to see what bosses are brick walls without grinding or having specific skills. Don't overlook status effects and buffs (don't know if phantasy star has those, so this is more general)

Of course grinding doesn't apply when you're like me and running a game that has no grinding and depends more on skills and strategy...at least Growlanser 2 is relatively short.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Eonwe posted:

No matter what happened, we have to keep this firmly situated in the lens of a sex starved nerdy guy who plays video games fast on Twitch.

Seeing this kind of poo poo makes me what to stop saying that I'm a girl who speedruns, as if that doesn't label someone enough there's now this that goes around.

Also I know that if you're not anime attractive that chat will hate you :v:

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 2, 2014

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Speedrun Neopets: The Darkest Faerie with me. I have WR.

Don't tempt me, I actually bought that game at launch (and never finished it)

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Has anyone ever been caught cheating in a lttp rando race? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to just have the stream up on a second device in the room. I wonder what they do to curb cheating cause the commentators seem pretty confident no one has.

Along with people forgetting to unbind fast forward, there was a guy in the last tourney who turned off some graphic layers so he could get through dark rooms without the lamp (or something similar). He was DQ'd from the race. Apparently he didn't know that was against the rules? In a later race he also used the fast forward and/or save state loads, and DQ'd again.

On the other hand I think there are some cases of the player getting spoiled via a private message or something and they would .forfeit in the race channel and explain why, so they were being honest about things.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I once improved my PB of a dumb PS2 game (Shepherd's Crossing) by a good amount because when I did it previously I didn't know there was a run button. :doh:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I like the idea of the Really Really Long A Thon, just to showcase games that have longer runs. But I'm also a person who is ok with putting a long run on in the background and only half paying attention.

And honestly the "getting around" of Baten Kaitos 100% having so much downtime by airing it alongside a ton of other games is hilarious

Also S&P is cool cause he taught me how to play Jubeat.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, it starts with Arabian Nights and ends with Deadly Towers (unless Princess Rescue and whatever replaces the setup block also count as bad games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Having run mostly action-type games, or games that have big communities so the routing is already all finished, routing (well, route testing/cleaning up) a RPG where you're at the mercy of random drops determining your stats and therefore your battle strategies is a pain.

Also, KennyMan plz add me to your superfast goon list: https://www.speedrun.com/user/kariohki all my stuff is there

• Locked thread