Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I just realized that I missed the entire chicagothon thing, is there a recording of it anywhere? (I noticed romscouts twitch has a few of it on past broadcast, but I have no idea if that's the whole thing or not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Striker is a really cool guy, looking forward to this one.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

Conversely I feel they could have done a better job highlighting smaller folks who would benefit more from the exposure, especially ones running stuff at SGDQ. Instead they went with a series of Twitch partners who already bring in hundreds of viewers consistently.

Don't get me wrong, it's super cool they're doing this, and they picked some really cool people, but some deep cuts would've been nice to see. Maybe next round of this community spotlight thing.

I feel like Striker is pretty small, he doesn't even have a sub button, and his only Marathon run was at the last AGDQ (it was a pretty great run though). Go1den is pretty well known I suppose, and the other ones have been somewhere between Striker and Go1den in popularity I think? It's not like they are showing off Cosmo or Siglemic or something.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I wonder how long he'll be playing Battle For Olympus, would be funny of this game already ended him at game #4 or whatever. This game is probably not as bad as some of the games you guys have already mentioned, but it's pretty bullshit to figure out in it's own right.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Silver Surfer isn't really that hard when taken into account all the schmups out there, it just has a special rap because of the AVGN episode. TMR won't have any issue with it at all, I'd be surprised if it takes him even an hour to finish it.

Now loving Ultima 3 on the other hand...

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I've never seen that Ultima game.

Is it tough? Boring?

Ultima 3 is insanely obtuse and actively gets harder as you level up (the higher level you are the stronger the monsters are).

The best way to play it is to do everything in your power to get as strong as you can at as low level as possible. TMR obviously has no idea this is a thing, and could very well play for 10s of hours before the game gets impossible because his level got to high before he gets to the hidden magic town to buy the gear to fight the monsters of that level(I don't really remember exactly how to find that town anymore but I do remember it's pretty bullshit, not to mention he'd need the money to buy the gear, know he needs it, etc.).

Edit: I don't think he's gotten any new spells for his casters yet either, so they are both effectively dead weight at this point since he's fighting level 7 equivalent monsters with starting spells.
Double Edit: Never mind, looks like he has gotten some.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 9, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

pixaal posted:

He is currently abusing the 100 gold you get for a new character and gifting it and deleting characters and making new ones. This is hilarious. I'm not sure if this is going to let him win, but his reasoning behind it is interesting enough.

Nah, with the amount of money you need 100 gold per new character is insanely slow, there is a much, much faster way to get money though but he will almost certainly not figure it out without someone just telling it to him.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

pixaal posted:

After 35 hours he let people tell him how to beat it, took 4 hours. He lost at the end to the place falling apart and had to redo the ending. It was glorious. I think he said he lost to a floor, but I'm not positive he was pretty upset about it.

The final battles in Ultima 3 are literally against the grass and the floor, for whatever the hell reason they have the highest stats in the game and have no graphic or anything (all you can see is grass against the grass and floor against...the floor). I'm not really sure what the hell they are actually meant to be? Exodus itself is a computer, so I think it's supposed to be like it fighting you...somehow, or something, and the game was made in 1983, and it's confusing. I wonder to this day what they were actually going for. After you beat them you put 4 punch cards that you find in random places throughout the game into the computer that fix it's programming or something and you win.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Maybe I'm blind but where on that page does it say why games were rejected.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing Claude run FFT as a finale even, I wonder why Mike thinks the game would be a bad idea? The game is super loved, and has character names and stuff for donation incentives. It's longish but there's been much longer RPG runs in GDQs.

Edit: Then again, I do realize that these event schedules aren't made just for me, because if they were they would all be Metroidvanias, classic (and some non classic) platformers, and RPGs, but there are still some games I'd really like to see that haven't been at GDQs yet.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 19, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Sounds like it's time to organize a speedrunning marathon for the south. I vote for Houston.

How are the GDQ's are pyramid schemes?

It was in the convention room next door, not the gdq itself.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Cosmo just got an 8:52 in SotN any%. Such a weird run.

(his timer says 52)

"I got one dollar from James who says you're a human being. Thank you James"

Aaaaand someone gave Cosmo $500.

Apparently Caleb got a $1000 donation yesterday, which is just nuts.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Yeah Puncayshun is loving nuts, the last like 3 times I randomly looked at his stream he got a new World Record. Dude is insane.

Edit: What's crazy is if you watch and listen to him he talks about how bad a lot of his splits are on stuff, and how much better his time could be. Yet, no other SM64 runner could ever hope to come close to his times. He's basically only playing against himself at this point.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 14, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

Someone donated 2k to the JRTA marathon with the message to "do the thing" and now there are weird noises and I have no idea what's happening

Pretty nuts that they are not even a day into this thing and are already over the goal. I was actually worried about this not getting met, but I guess I was worried for nothing.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Yeah that race was fantastic. We can only hope some of the races at AGDQ go that well!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Yeah I've pretty much decided that halfcoordinated is a badass. A shame that it sounds like he was passed up for AGDQ?

Edit: Although I get that he runs Vanquished, which, while a game I love, I do realize that basically all of like 100 people have actually heard of Platinum Games and their insanely good games like Vanquished.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 27, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

That's an odd thing for Uyama to say since he let Viewtiful Joe through on it's easiest mode and that went over pretty well I think. Then again Viewtiful Joe is probably their most well known game, with Vanquished probably being their least, so I can see that part of the thought process, but Vanquished is still a cool game.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Holy crap, Paris Dakar for AGDQ 2015!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

ArfJason posted:

It's a racing event, which was faithfully adapted into a videogame for the famicom gaming console, even if it turned out to be a bit hard.

If only the real event had segments where you had to fight the military.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Violently Car posted:

Claude's getting marathon lucked really hard. I hope this doesn't make Uyama even less likely to put it in AGDQ 16.

It's still a pretty interesting run, I've never watched a run of FFT before but I am a fan of the game so it's not bad in that aspect.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

crestfallen posted:

Sure, but you miss my point. They do when one metric is "does this game make sense to include in a GDQ?" IIRC, one of the reasons it was rejected was explicitly because there weren't very many good donation incentives and/or it wouldn't bring in enough money.

If FFT could show that it can bring in substantial sums (and with a smaller audience than a GDQ to boot) it could change the equation some.

Anyway, looks like it ended up bringing in about $1000, a little less than 10% of the total at the time. Not too shabby.

More then that, it brought in more like 2,000 due to that challenge near the end.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

An Ultima IX run would be amusing in the same way that Sonic 2006 runs kind of are. Unfortunately, as broken as '06 is, Ultima IX is just that much worse, so much so that speedrunning it would be a battle against the game crashing all the time as much as anything else.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Dizz posted:

I'd rather read stupid comments over watching a 20 hour Final Fantasy block.

I'd rather watch a 20 hour Final Fantasy block then read stupid comments.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

There was a ticker on the website anyway, that's probably fine, I don't know if I'd really want a ticker on the actual stream, I don't think I'd ever read or care to read it. Having the host read the comments during deader times in the run is fine.

As for the screen space thing, it's hard to say, a million people tend to say "this could be better and here's HOW", then show a picture that looks actively worse then what past GDQs actually looked like , so I'm not sure what the perfect answer there is.

One thing I will say, is if you have multiple players try to coordinate where their screen is to where the actual person is on the couch. That color of name thing is the color of the screens border thing in the last ESA was really stupid.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

SeXReX posted:

too be fair its online so there is no couch but that gave me a good giggle.

From what I remember, weren't some of them on a couch and some of them were just in a separate room in a LAN or something?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Well, it wasn't just for style in that case because it was the only way to tell who was who.

On a more serious note, is the Final Split thing done? I've actually always liked watching TSSB and The Final Split, because I can't watch every speedrunner forever, for obvious reasons, so they show me who has done what when and such for the last week, and I liked having two shows that showed different views, but yeah.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Studio posted:

The opposite is true actually. As streamers get more and more consistent donations they stop caring about them.

True for some streamers but Caleb always seems happy even for the small donations (from what I've seen at least, I don't watch him all the time, just occasionally).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Puncayshun is kind of the current big SM64 runner isn't he? I think he generally has more viewers then Sig now, and has all the WRs or whatever (though Sig is still very well known).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I enjoy watching bits and pieces of these silly marathon things. Donate if you want, or don't, it's still fun either way if you like watching marathon speedruns(which I actually like better then watching a million reset runs until they get the perfect WR, although it is fun to catch them when they do manage to pull off a WR) so I don't know what the problem is.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

FamDav posted:

yo so how does the speedrunning community feel about a known adulter being one of the first speedrunner at agdq 2015?

What?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Shirtless ban seems pretty pointless to me(were there a lot of people getting straight up nude on Twitch or something?), but I guess I don't really care, I watched people like Caleb because they were entertaining people who were also really good at games I like to watch speed ran, not because he was shirtless or whatever.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I don't know if this Bunnies vs. Maids thing on the Mega Marathon is the dumbest thing I've ever seen or the smartest(for raising money anyway).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

This SMRPG Low Level(Mega Marathon) run is the best kind of train wreck, and having people vote for which egg he picks is pretty funny.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I would've liked to see an actual good Minecraft run, the guy who has the 37 minute WR could've been pretty cool, but yeah a 2 + hour run by YouTube popular Let's Player's would've most likely been pretty terrible for this marathon(to be fair I don't know the guys at all, maybe they are super entertaining, but still if your average time is quadruple the WR, I mean this is a drat speedrun marathon). Plus Vanquish is a pretty cool speedgame anyway.

Edit: Oh hey, Vanquish is being ran by halfcoordinated as well, neat.

Double Edit: For those complaining about the money grubbing streams or whatever, I hope you did watch parts of the Scrubathon Marathon this last week, it was mostly a blast, and no money involved, lots of good speedruns. It did have a lot of RPG runs though, which I like, but a lot of people here don't seem to, so there was that.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I thought the trailer was fine, could have been better, could have been worse, a lot of the complaints about it are most certainly legitimate though. I liked the music well enough personally.

I don't understand why Trihex just doesn't just play other games? Yoshi's Island isn't the only game in the entire world to speedrun, even if he is mainly known for it.

Edit: Also, it's not like you need to have the WR to be the best person to show a game off at a marathon, good commentary can go really far at still being really good at a game but just not being the absolute best.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 29, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I have, well, an extremely large set of doubts surrounding the notion that you need a 13 person team of paid help to spray Febreze and make sure the tracker doesn't crash(it will anyway). I certainly understand that this event consumes a lot of hours for a very, very small number of people and their continued involvement keeps this thing going but half of that list of names is a lot of superfluous bullshit.

I can't wait to see how those 3 PR managers listed there really get the word out to Kotaku 40 hours before it ends. You'd think with so much in the realm of promotion and marketing you could expect to see an obvious and calculated pattern of growth due to their involvement and OK I'll stop here.

I'm actually pretty sure that list of people is pretty much the same exact people that were doing that same stuff for all the other marathons, it's just "official" now or whatever. Also, last I checked there was a pretty significant amount of growth? Like, AGDQ is something like 10 times larger then it was 2 years ago and who knows how much it will raise this year but last year over doubled the previous.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

It's a shame I have to work a lot this week, was really looking forward to watching as much of RPGLB as I could (yes, I'm one of those guys that actually likes RPG speedruns), I guess I'll have to watch the majority of it after the event actually ends.

Edit: That thing with Romscout and Iga was really cool, also that Kickstarter was over funded in less then a day. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, a lot of people (including me) would like a new Metroidvania game made by Iga.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 12, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Yeah I've enjoyed every run I've watched so far. That being said if you just straight up don't like RPG speedruns then well, yeah you probably won't enjoy watching one.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

There's the one Ys 1 run on I think...the master system? That abuses a glitch at the start of the game to warp to the credits and thus it can be beaten in less then a minute or some poo poo. Besides that I think I saw someone run Ys 2 in an online marathon before, but nothing big.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I actually kind of want to watch that Lunar 2 run but god drat it's going to be exactly when I want to be asleep, and all the runs after it are good as well so it's not like I can just stay up and easily sleep during them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Final Fantasy 4 race ended up with less then a 30 second difference between 1st and 2nd place, goddamn.

• Locked thread