Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Unless you're chessnetwork, at that point you need moobot on the harshest settings and half a dozen of active, mercyless moderators with itchy timeout/ban fingers to weed out all the creepy, horrible assholes.
:ssh: You can register new twitch names over and over again without impunity, so there is literally no way to punish dedicated trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm going to ask: is there anything interesting in a speedrun of, say, FF7? The cutscenes are fixed length, and the battles seem to mostly be random encounters. The only thing I can think about that has some amount of strategy or skill is the RTS section.

Are other JRPGs different?

The RTS section takes about 10 seconds because it's programmed in a way that you win the moment there are no enemy units on screen, so you can rush the couple initial spawns and then its over. That's all I remember about that run though.

I don't watch a lot of jrpg speedruns but usually the cool parts are technical breakdowns in terms of circumventing and breaking the systems of the game, the runner demonstrating an encyclopedic knowledge of a several hours long game, just having a completely bonkers glitch like the 2^8 floors thing in FF4, or in games with a lot of RNG the runner having to gamble on it cope with bad breaks.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
The door only appears for me if my window is stretched beyond 1400px wide.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I also did a 12 hour speedrun challenge thing with Gundam Side Story for the Dreamcast. The only times I found were for Any% NG+ Hard Mode and were from a reddit thread and only had in-game times of 52:05 and 39:20, and I got it down to 28:41 with 38:15 in real time with load times.

I'd wager that with with some optimizations and getting lucky with the enemy and ally AI in 4 or 5 places, the time could come down to sub 35, but that sounds like a nightmare and I got my goals of sub 40 real and sub 30 game so unless I get better dreamcast capture cables and wanna do better for SDA or end up with competition, I'm happily done.

• Locked thread