Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Catherine's on there?

Now that's both unexpected and very interesting. People run this game? I tried it myself for a bit just to beat the proclaimed Easy WR time because said time was a bit crap and then I sort of lost interest because streaming difficulties and lack of competition.

I want more details on that, frankly. Difficulty? Runner? I'd love to see someone school Hard mode quickly, I'd definitely watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

This video really does just sum up in 20 seconds, the entire experience of running GTA games.

Subject to the cruel whims of an uncaring RNG, but damned if it doesn't culminate in some hilarious crap sometimes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dammit, Catherine seems to have been dropped. :smith:

The schedule in general though looks pretty interesting to me, good bunch of games I've never seen run before that I'd like to see a run of. Like The Immortal, for instance.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Uyama doesn't like Catherine because he thinks it's "too repetitive" apparently :geno:

He's not wrong, in all fairness, but then again you could say the same thing about a lot of games he's let through. Insert obligatory dig at Final Fantasy runners here.

In any event, he did at least listen to fairly huge outcry and brought back Pilotwings 64.

I can't say I disagree with the decision, I've tried running Catherine myself and there is honestly not all that much to it.

It's still a little annoying that one guy can simply choose to drop games at their whim, I figured this would be a democratic sort of thing, not "I think this game is boring so no-one can enjoy it".

I thought the point of SGDQ in the first place was a marathon for the games that AGDQ wouldn't even consider? Or am I wrong and has it always been subject to the similarly frustrating and inconsistent quality control of Uyama?

Dude also cut Sweet Home at one point under the reasoning "we need to cut down on RPG's". Sweet Home is a slightly over an hour long run, as far as RPG's go, this really is a more solid contender for marathon-suitable than most.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 24, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

The thing about a democracy is that all kinds of dumb things can get involved. If it was a democracy, people would complain that it wasn't up for an open public poll. No system of choices will ever be fair, things are going to get cut that people don't agree with, and someone's not going to agree with the choices. It's not like Uyama is in a vacuum, either. The schedule can (and has, and will) change based on what people are saying and doing.

At the end of the day, Uyama takes a lot of his own personal time to organize the marathons, he knows the data from what was popular, and he has his head in the speed running community. I trust him over pretty much anyone to make good decisions as to what should and shouldn't be in a marathon.

Also, if you think Uyama doesn't include games he thinks are boring, then you are flat out wrong, because I can tell you he does not at all care for a lot of the games that make it in. The real problem is that in making cuts, he has to summarize his thoughts on games to simple little bullets, and often the wording rubs people the wrong way when a game they like doesn't make it.

Yeah, I can agree with most of this. I may have phrased things more harshly due to being a tad bitter. I mean nothing personal by it, really. Slightly vexed and there's an easy blame target. My apologies.

I know he listens, Pilotwings 64 was put back on due to fairly large outcry and I think Binding of Isaac was also cut at least partially in response to people saying the run blew at AGDQ, which it really did.

I trust the man knows what he's doing, but from my perspective the decisions occasionally comes across as somewhat arbitrary or subject to personal whim since no-one has any idea who he confers with to decide these things. It's probably not actually the case but it sure can look that way sometimes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

Somehow, the Battletoads glitch TAS just got made quicker by glitching past most of the ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcD5e02B68U

:magical:

I read their write-up and I still don't understand how they've made that work.

They just suicide and suddenly, bam. Ending cutscene, doesn't even fight the last boss, just right to the end cutscene.

Reminds of me of this Super Mario Land 2 TAS which I completely gave up on trying to understand. Something about falling into RAM and hitting the point that triggers the ending.

It's utterly fascinating to watch people gently caress with the game on such a fundamental level.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

wa27 posted:

If you're really cheap, you can take your chances with an $8 Easycap off Amazon.

To add clarity to EasyCaps, because this can be a little confusing. Absolutely do not buy anything actually named "EasyCap", this product naming has been phased out by the company and is now used exclusively by Chinese knock-off capture cards.

I personally have one, in my experience it's been functional but somewhat limited in features. It wouldn't capture off an Xbox 360 in colour, for instance. PAL-60 apparently just makes it poo poo itself, go figure.

But that's just me, other people and I trust them on this, have reported things like the cards having a generally lovely durability and in the worst case scenario, bursting into flames.

If you must buy an EasyCap, the one you want is an "EzCap", that's what they were re branded to.

The chinese knockoffs are far cheaper, but I refuse to recommend something that's apparently an outright fire hazard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zlocista posted:

I've been watching some OoT and Wind Waker runs recently, is there any reason why they run the Japanese versions of the games?

The reason is primarily text speed, but also Wind Waker has a fair few subtler regional differences. I think the regional differences with regards to gameplay is actually in the English version's favour, but the text speed of the Japanese outweighs it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

wa27 posted:

I don't know much about Sonic, but I assume the in-game timer is slowed in the PAL version to make the times comparable to NTSC?

Basically the low-down on Sonic timing is that if you go fast, the time bonus gained from going fast at the end of a level will take so long on the results screen that it is actually slower real-time than if you just waste a few seconds doing bullshit.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

qntm posted:

That's pretty interesting and I'm completely behind it. It opens up a bunch of new games where the aim would just be to showcase insane glitches or to get a nonsensical score. Only a few steps down that road is a point where you have to replace the "Quick" in "Awesome Games Done Quick" with something else. "Awesome Games Done Awesome", maybe.

This is more or less the point of a TAS. Speed factors into it but above all is the enjoyment of the viewer, perfectly competent speed TAS'es get chucked simply on the grounds of not being interesting.

I prefer to take these things on a case by case basis, usually what's fastest is the most impressive but Dish described a scenario in which trading speed for entertainment purposes sounds totally valid, especially if the difference is something as minor as 6 seconds.

Making broad, sweeping statements about how speedrunning should happen doesn't really work with something this nuanced.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Heresiarch posted:

I suppose that next we're going to see "Dear Ester" speedruns.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Yes, in a game entirely about walking, someone figured out a method by which to walk faster.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Bacon Drew posted:

Is his real name Cosmo? someone asked in a donation the other day what his real name was and he said it was a secret.

Pretty sure his real name is Cosmo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cannot Find Server posted:

OK I can understand not wanting to see Wind Waker for whatever reason, but uh, there's a good alternative already: don't watch it. I find most Final Fantasy speedruns to be boring as all hell, but I'm not dumb enough to think pulling them would be a good idea; they are popular games that bring in donations. I just do other things while they are being run.

I think his case is more one of not wanting to be too repetitive. It was at last year's AGDQ as well, ought to give something else a shot and I can understand that.

Mind you, I'm told the run has been changed in a good number of ways so perhaps a repeat might not be the worst idea in the world. If a run's changed to prevent stagnation, it's popular with the people and it brings in donation money, then I really don't see anyone who loses here besides people who take other people playing video games too seriously.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Eight megaman games and five hours of Pokemon is...weird and not exactly my cup of tea. But goddamn, most of this list sounds like solid goddamn gold.

Barkley, Little Nemo, Mr Domino, Mirror's Edge....

poo poo! Ihavenoname got Double Spoiler into the marathon! Now that's awesome as gently caress, good show dude. That run is pretty nuts, a bullet hell speedrun, which I'm aware sounds retarded on paper but is actually really impressive in execution. This list makes me super happy. I got nothing to complain about here, this is solid.

I do raise an eyebrow at the choice of Spelunky, though. It's a speed-runnable game, to be sure, but the random nature of it I wouldn't have thought suits a marathon format well. This seems like it could be another Isaac in the making. I have somewhat limited experience with Spelunky though and Isaac's failure was primarily due to a terrible runner so maybe I'm totally wrong. We'll have to see.

Getting hype.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

Are you playing the Saturn version? I can't imagine you'd bring an arcade box to AGDQ, right?

The game had a rather recent compilation re-release along with the previous game, Tower of Doom, on PC, PSN and Xbox, I believe. It's likely one of those versions.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Any actual runs of the game posted anywhere? I can't seem to find the game in the VODs for that channel.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

What possesses people to think this is a good idea? Not even on the level of performing glitches and crashing demo units and telling representatives about it, I mean on the level of attempting to make conversation by talking about video game glitches? Who does that?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Does werster have some kind of breathing difficulty or something because man that panting is disgusting.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

heeheex2 posted:

loving TheMexicanRunner just beat the Contra WR. God drat, congrats man.

Also this thread dies without drama so http://pastebin.com/ZNGia2H1 is a good pastebin

He did? Always as soon as I stop watching, always. But seriously, that's loving incredible considering how difficult and tightly optimised Contra is. I'm watching that VOD for sure.

Also my god that pastebin exudes butt-hurt.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

But who are these people and why are they at all relevant? Otherwise it seems like random bitching.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

IIRC the TAS is several seconds farther ahead than that due to a difference in how they were timed.

Yeah, this. TAS's are timed from power on to last input, I think. Speedruns are timed from when he gains control to last input.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Brett824 posted:

Someone made a gameshark code for saving and loading states in SM64, on console.

Man, that's crazy. How does that even work?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I can agree with that. I honestly like the concept of making speedrunning more presentable and easier to understand and pie's efforts thus far are commendable for attempting to bring such a thing mainstream.

I just take major issue with making any sort of deal with Machinima. That seriously cannot end well, plus that whole clause about Machinima getting the rights to any player who participates in a race open to the public is ludicrous on the face of it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

JordanKai posted:

e: 'We Will Rock You' isn't even structured like that. -1/10, lay off immediately.

This made me the most angry out of anything in this entire kerfuffle.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

This seems like bullshit but I can't even fathom how people have the energy to care this much about it

This is a pretty legit concern for people whose hobby it is to stream speedruns since Twitch is about the only place you can do it and nobody wants a dickhead running the thing, same goes for anyone who likes watching speedrun streams. Trivial in the grand scheme of things yes, but so are video games in general.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Geight posted:

e: http://www.twitch.tv/cruxit his title just got changed from REMOVE HORROR aaaaaand offline

Bravely but foolishly threw himself onto the sword in a manner that was incredibly hilarious. RIP Cruxit.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Prediction: major streamers get unbanned, most minor streamers take a while but get unbanned, Horror resigns.

I don't see Horror resigning, mainly because an official apology and a ban reversal for those affected is basically all that's necessary.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Given the abuses of power I think his position is untenable.

Probably, but the site is ran by massive manchildren and in response to this whole thing a lot more admins went on a silly killing spree as well, probably banning more people than horror himself.

If they kicked horror out, surely it would be inconsistent to keep those same admins on who basically reinforced his bullshit? Then you'd have like three or four admins being dropped and that doesn't seem likely. I would really like that to happen, but I doubt it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I think for games like hl2, portal, a good commentary makes all the difference.

Good commentary makes a lot of difference regardless of the run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

argondamn posted:

Honestly though, they just need something and it doesn't have to be perfect.

Yeah, they're really fussing about trying to get it to be absolutely perfect when the inherently muddy and confusing nature of version differences across thousands of games makes that goal absolutely impossible. Like, this is a fight you cannot win, the only solution that won't come across as making sweeping decisions for a bunch of people who may not like your decision is just to declare open season for all versions, include filters for version and let the community make of it what they will.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic but I think all this stalling and trying to hash out how to make it perfect is a complete waste of everyone's time when perfection in this case is impossible, intangible even.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Most emulators are DEEPLY FLAWED SIMULATORS. They don't "allow" you to do anything - they SIMULATE (not emulate)

This is the most insane thing I've ever read in this thread. Emulators do not emulate, apparently.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Opinion Haver posted:

Haha, what? Why?

Laughing stock of /srg/.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dizz posted:

One thing I will never understand about speedrunners is why would they run games that make them mad?

Practising a game to the degree that speedrunners do to get extremely good at them will basically make you hate them at some point along the line. At that point, I suspect you keep going just out of habit.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Booourns posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/b/498009259 skip to 5:39, total control has now been acheived. RIP SOTN

I have absolutely no idea what he's doing to this game and I really want to know.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Brett824 posted:

doesn't mean the game is actually that bad to play.

It controls like complete dogshit and getting anyone to do anything you want to do is a lot harder than it looks. It's pretty bad to play, dude.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I guess the main problem is it's still like an hour and a half of non-broken Final Fantasy 7 as a run up to the actual interesting part.

There's been worse poo poo with longer runtimes put into marathons so I'd reckon that's an acceptable risk.

I'm just interested at the prospect of a Final Fantasy marathon run that doesn't take all day, so I'm all for it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

...oh. And here I was, looking at SDA's lack of runs and thinking it wasn't done much. :eng99:

Given how slow to post runs SDA often is, I wouldn't take it as an indicator of the state of runs for a particular game at all.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

The point of a speedrun shouldn't be to entertain, it should be to finish the game fast. It's fine if you want to race a specific route or category for show, but in a true any% category that seems completely inappropriate.

While I completely agree with you in a certain sense, it's basically just labelling issues and not something worth bothering yourself about.

Old "Any%" will retain that moniker because people still want to race and run that category because it's entertaining to them and to other people and it's been known as Any% for a while so it's kind of a legacy thing that stuck.

The new trick will probably just get lumped with "Any% glitched" and that'll be fine. It's just a bunch of labels anyway that made sense at the time but got twisted as new things were discovered but a clear preference for the old routing remained.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I like the fact Cosmo runs on iQue because it makes people mad.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

timp posted:

but I don't even watch his streams anymore because he's so insufferably whiny about everything.

Anytime I've ever seen him stream he either isn't using his mic or is barely talking so I don't know what the deal is here.

EDIT: he has puzzling opinions on lots of things yeah but hell of I hear any of it from his streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

less circlejerking more actual speedruns

SSBMstuff is streaming Crash 3: Warped 105% speedruns for a while as he works towards a sub 2:15 run. Presently he's about half an hour in and a minute ahead, so looking good. The PS1 Crash games are kind of underrated speedgames so check it out, it's pretty cool.

edit: Twitch stopped screwing up and put me on a higher quality and I can now read the text that says his splits are all hosed up and not indicative of anything, so nevermind I don't know how good this run is so far. :v:

• Locked thread