Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I just figured out a reliable way to do the final boss skip in NES Rambo.

What the gently caress has this thread done to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

Oh wow, some of these IWBTG clones that are becoming popular to stream are loving terrible. And the chatrooms all go "This game is so epic hard lol xD".
This is no IWBTG, this is "Let's throw all the poo poo we can at the wall every two loving seconds", and people eat it up.
There's a guy that speedruns Boshy though and that guy is crazy and he owns.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
He also missed the WR by about half a second, that run was crazy.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't the MTPO community make a really in-depth series of video strategy guides a few years back? I know I saw something like that but I can never find it now. :\

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

There was a guy on Youtube called KingdomCarts who had some really good videos that sort of explained how to do entry-level speedrun stuff against each boxer in the game up through Bull 2. He made all his videos private about a year ago, though, so that might be the person you're thinking of.
That's probably it. Sucks that he made them private.

e: Oh my god how have I never seen the Daicbro% run before now.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 12, 2013

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrosiris posted:

It's really risky to declare any given run as killing it, because Aghanim/Ganon luck is a cruel and vengeful mistress.
Yeah, about that... :sigh:

e: And a perfect Ganon fight to take it!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Oh snap we're gonna get real Daicbro%?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
S is on End of the Line, he's almost done!!

Edit: Done, new WR! :v:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Super Metroid should really be in every marathon if only because kill/save the animals is consistently by far the largest bid war in everything it's in.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
These are some... interesting HL2 settings on the Happy Tails stream.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Someone donate to call the Suikoden castle Castle Vania, I've tapped out my donation budget. Thanks :)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Medallions/stones/trials. Basically it means you play the game somewhat as intended.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

that Vai sound posted:

And now he has a new SotN Any% WR! 18:20.32
Noooooooooooo, Daicbro% is dead! :(

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So I take it MAME would be out of the question for arcade speedruns then?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Cosmo has 7500+ viewers right now and as far as I can tell he's just doing Wind Waker runs. :stare:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Someone speedrun Mocap Boxing, thanks in advance :)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, odd question, but I guess it's somewhat related to this thread. Is there a sound file of the minotaur from Catechumen going "AROOOOOOOO" floating around anywhere? One of my buddies wants it for a ringtone. :v:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

There's an entire marathon being organized that's gonna be nothing but bad games, so you're in luck. :v:
I was just about to say that Awful Games should be its own separate thing, so this is great news. :)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden made it. The whole rest of the list could be games I give zero rat's asses about and I'd be happy.

Also if this game gets run I want the Barkley team on a Skype call. They're goons, right?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So does a Borderlands speed run revolve around getting the Evil Smasher as fast as possible and then glitching everything to death? Because that would be fun.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

F-zero should be amazing as apparently the runner they got is supposed to be like top 3 in the world or some poo poo.
Yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig1B0doIjTo

:stare:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm not sure about the coop run, but the single player run beats the game at level 20, and you need to be level 25 to even equip the evil smasher, plus you need to do a sidequest. So, it's faster to just take 10 minutes to beat the boss than it is to grind up for and go get the smasher.
Do you have a good link to a single player run? Because now I'm curious to see the route it uses.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The D&D arcade games are actually really solid beat-em-ups if you've never played them. Find them on a MAME rom site or something.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Watching Romscout's SD3 stream last night and hearing Murph struggle his way through Dirty Harry dredged up many, many painful childhood memories. I have no idea how you beat the game without the infinite lives code, and even then it's not easy. (I'm free_b on Twitch by the way.)

BTW, have you found the room in stage 1 that there's no way out of yet? :getin:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

I haven't found that. I gave up on actually playing stage 1 and just looked up a map a long, long time ago.

I've gotten REALLY close to beating it now. The final boss is just SO random in how he moves/shoots, and if you miss him too many times its GG, infinite lives or not, since the magnum seems to be the only thing that hurts him.

The game is really, REALLY funny, but its the kinda game that'll make anyone crash and burn on it, which is the main thing preventing me from getting into it. All the other bad games I've played I at least I felt like I had control over the outcomes, this one I'll do the same things and get wildly varying results.
You can hit the final boss with the harpoon gun too, but only when he's at the absolute lowest point in his movement pattern since you can't aim it upward.

Come to think of it, I think I ended up Game Genie-ing this game as a kid. Infinite ammo Game Genie code AND the infinite lives code was the only way I could even come close.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Since people seem to be interested enough in this horrible, horrible mess, here's the highlight of the run http://www.twitch.tv/murphagator/c/2903819

I don't know what sort of horrors you had to go through to route that, but that was insane. 12-year-old me was very jealous.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like Adam AK is offline - did he finally finish the 100% GTA3 run?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The debt collector is coming after the Chicagothon runners IRL. :ohdear:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

kaujot posted:

Can I get an explanation of that?
The "debt collector" is a name (I think) PJ gave to the variance/RNG in games, i.e., if you're having a good string of luck, the debt collector is going to come along later and gently caress that all up for you.

Anyway, there was (still is?) a huge gently caress-off thunderstorm right where they are.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I just tuned in to drunk Romscout OOE and this is amazing.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Cool, I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't care for FF runs at all. Feasel's FF1 runs are kind of interesting because FF1 is so much different from later games in the series, but that's about the only time I can get interested in a FF run at all.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah okay, I'll have to make another exception for the DieHard% run at SGDQ because that poo poo just broke my brain.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Brett824 posted:

I'm baffled. Why don't people just stream themselves pressing buttons fast.

Don't worry man I got you covered. :c00l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocLyPOgMurw

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If I got $2500 I'd get 250k pennies and speedrun making them rear end pennies.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
A new SMB1 record? I had just assumed that that game was so competitive that it had been completely figured out and improvements were just completely impossible, so... drat.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I've gotten into speedrunning I play SotN on a stick now because it's 1000x easier to shield dash on a stick than it is on the horrible 360 pad. The spell inputs are pretty similar to fighting game commands too so that makes things a bit easier as well.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Cannot Find Server posted:

Think for a second about the amount of tricks that have been discovered as 'TAS-only' that people figure out how to do anyway, though.

This one though... I think Rom said that it was something like 1/4100 RNG to get the drops and everything else you need, and then it's a frame perfect trick to actually pull it off or something like that? It seems pretty dumb in a non-TAS setting.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey, Romscout is doing a Death skip in non-luck mode SOTN runs now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLMFDZbar4I

e: Someone above me posted about this, but I have video :cool:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

pyromance posted:

SotN has gone through so many changes in the past month. It's insane how much more broken an already broken game has become with more people working on skips.

Also, skipping Death at the beginning means that the meal ticket drop COULD happen in a normal run, rather than requiring specific runs for it, which puts it a little closer to actually happening.

Yeah, it seems like the approach Rom is taking right now is "I'm not going to go out of my way to try the meal ticket skip, but if one happens to drop then I may as well go for it." So it might happen eventually, but it's not something that it seems like Rom is really going to try for specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus christ.

• Locked thread