Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

On the subject of TASes purely designed for entertainment, one of the most famous examples is the Family Feud Glitchfest by Heisanevilgenius.
ABRACADABRA I WIN

I love it when TAS techniques are applied to poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

On the subject of breaking games in half, there's also this Zelda 2 run.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rashomon posted:

I haven't watched a ton of speed runs, but this was always my favorite due to both the sheer insanity of how fast it is and how it utterly ignores the actual rules of the game. Link's all, "Walls? Side scrolling physics? No thanks!" It's like he's quantum tunneling everywhere or something.

Not to mention "this exit goes there? Nah, I'd rather be on the other side of the map."

Here's another "gently caress how the game is supposed to be played" run, of Portrait of Ruin. A bit less incoherent, but still crazy. (Fewer giant holes in the programming to exploit through on later hardware than the NES, I suppose.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Threep posted:

This one is hilarious. It's just so abrupt.
It's like even the game is confused. "The end? I think?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... is SDA not the site that has a Deus Ex and Morrowind speedrun on it? Is that some other site I'm thinking of?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Wind Waker TAS (WIP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7wFN9GL4Gg

(Seizure warning! :frogsiren:)
Yesssssss. It begins!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

buttopticor posted:

Incidentally, while there is a TAS like that RTA (clocking in at just under 10 min), there's also a TAS using a glitch so ridiculous they had to branch it off into a separate "glitched" category (also a human probably couldn't do this glitch):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syo5sI-iOgY
link for embedded impaired

That run is a little over 2 and a half minutes.
It also uses some trickery with Yoshi and a Chargin' Chunk to spit out an "end the level" object on the first level.

While the real level goal is on the screen.

Because it saves a few frames, and that's just how TASes roll. :coal:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Violen posted:

Have you cats seen this hot new Momma Slapz TAS?

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323689#323689
... What the hell?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Violently Car posted:

Reverse Boss Order is the best Super Metroid category. Does anyone ever run it?
Does this count? http://tasvideos.org/2078M.html

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh man, that is gonna be great.

And Yoshi's Island playaround? That's going to be double-great! :monocle:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Color Printer posted:

Also you can kill those little dodongo things in OoT by making them eat bombs what the hell? :psyduck:
Am I the only person who remembers that Dodongo dislikes smoke? Why is this a surprise (he said never having actually played OoT)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Obscure Risk posted:

E: For SM64 120 star TAS updates, the person uploading the run says it will probably be up tonight or tomorrow morning.
Yessssssssssss :getin:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Obscure Risk posted:

Mugg1991 just recently published his Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga TAS.

It's definitely worth the watch!
The HUD that he made to go along with the video very nice as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pneQhV_aYc
Barrels break reality. Good to know!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Dos posted:

I still am amazed by all the zips in Sonic 3 + Knuckles. I get how they get out of bounds, but I still do not understand how they control it in anyway as the camera goes all over the place.

The reverse gravity Carnival Night Zone 1 fight is also pretty amazing to see.
In the TASes, camhacks so they can see what's going on, or possibly just comparing the location of the character to maps.

If people do this in realtime, uh... No idea.

I think my favorite might the the Zelda 2 glitched TAS where Link just flies around, ends up in entirely different places for no apparent reason, and kills nothing but the endboss.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

You just gotta know. I made a short video for one of them.
Basically for the Sonic 3 zips you go left off the edge of the level. If the system for coordinates loops around you are teleported to the end of the level geometry and the camera zooms right to catch up.

While the camera is zooming just get to roughly the same vertical position as the boss area in the level (you will be further right than it) and the camera will lock and teleport you there because obviously it's time for the boss fight if you got the camera to the boss area.

If you are not in the right vertical spot the camera will catch up to you and you can explore this boring or glitched up area. This is useful for memorizing it and performing better next time.
Ah! I was thinking of the trick TASes use sometimes on to force themselves offscreen so they can navigate without some things spawning (like enemies and spikes, I believe) so they don't have to stop for them until the camera catches up, rather than the "walk off the left, arrive on the right" trick. Which seems impractical at best without the aids I mentioned.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

(HLIHH has 180 segments, god knows how many rerecords, and uses extensive scripts to do things with a frame precision unattainable by hand) but are noticably absent.
Well, they have a policy against using cheat codes in general. (Except in cases of using them to unlocked higher difficulties.)

... I don't know if things like game-engine scripts used in HLIHH would count, but I expect a gigantic shitstorm of an argument to erupt if you tried to find out.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Did they explain what they meant by "faked"? I know many TASes these days involve editing the input file directly sometimes.

Does the demo format for Doom include information other than starting RNG seed and input?

EDIT: Google searching indicates no, and in fact the "RNG" is based off player input. So, uh. Sounds like Doom demo files should pass fine, since "it is actually possible to perform this input on a real input device" is not a requirement for TAS entries. :psyduck:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 15, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Christ, doesn't that put him within a second and a half of the goddamned TAS of the game?
Let's see.. 4:58.56, while... the current TAS record appears to be 4:57.31.

So 1.25 over the TAS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kaschei posted:

I can only find 4:57.31 for the TAS of the same run (there's something called "-3 Ending" that is much shorter).
That's for the Famicom Disc System version, which reacts differently to the glitch which lets you get to "Minus World".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

Weapons aren't actually a big problem in Hotline: Miami. There is a very small quantity of guards with completely random weapons, but most are designated as random(melee) or random(gun), and although the machine guns might be slightly more useful than the shotguns for speedrunning, it's almost certain that you could find a new gun within six kills whenever you need to.
The floor weapons lying around seem to be significantly more random than that, though. And seem to have a much larger pool of possibilities than enemies do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

39:15, 22 minutes in-game when optimized for in-game timing.

Or 21:25 and 12 minutes in-game if you want to see the game broken severely.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

absolutely anything posted:

Eliminate all humans, TAS supremacy
:cool::hf::science:

Although the fact that I prefer things like the game-shattering Rockman 1 TAS means I'm probably a little biased here. (be sure to watch the credits too)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So wait. Not only does it do memory shenanigans to get to the credits in under 100 seconds, it's console verifiable? :sbahj:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm not sure what the definition for that is precisely, i assume he means that it doesn't depend on emulator specific behavior.
Boot up a console, feed the input into it, the run goes off properly.

EDIT: Here's the list of the ones where that's actually been done.

EDIT EDIT: Which does not appear to contain any Super Mario World ones already, oh well.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 27, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, that's the part i'm a bit uncertain about, i assume it means hooking up the controller cables to the external port of a pc and then somehow make sure it stays in sync?
More "hoping" it stays in sync, as I understand. If you can't get the RNG to behave exactly the same between the emulator and console, or lag is slightly different, it won't work on the console.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Once you've got your system syncing the input stream with the console booting up properly, anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

I assume the SNES is deterministic and has a consistent RNG state at the start which is based on player input afterwards.

It might be a bit tough to verify this on console though, since the final set of inputs uses 4 controllers.
That's what multitaps are for!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Couldn't multitaps mess up the RNG manipulation? I assume this is pretty precise stuff.
It's the only way to get more than 2 controllers in, so it's already using them.

In fact it's actually using TWO multitaps, and using two controllers on each for its input according to the author's notes. :eng101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

usedpizza posted:

It pretty much varies by every game. If you've seen feasel's recent runs of TMNT, he tries to start the game on a certain music cue because the technodrome location is determined at the start of the game, and supposedly the same frame will give the same place every time.
That's how console RNGs from before they had clocks and poo poo in them had to work, in fact. They don't have any source of randomness other than time since power on, and player input/results of previous randomness.

The trick is hitting that single specific frame with human reflexes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

What I'm looking for:

1) Skips you'd like to see featured.

http://tasvideos.org/1686M.html seems like a good source! :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Dos posted:

Entertainment has always been a big consideration with speedruns and TASes. Take a look at any published fighting game TAS and it's always a playaround video rather than one character doing one combo to everybody and being done with it.
Oh really? :laugh:

it's in the Vault for a reason

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Dos posted:

I was going to mention this as I also saw it! It does get a bit tiring after 10 minutes, but OGGITYBOOGITYBOOGITY over and over is comical in its own way
Yeah, its single-minded repetition has its own charm.

I mean I am not planning to watch any other pure speed fighting game TASes after this. I got my fill here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

UraniumAnchor posted:

SDA uses "gain control to loss of control", which isn't always the same thing as last input, things like controllable cutscenes at the end would count for "last input". Bionic Commando is a good example, SDA timing stops when you reach the top of the escape tunnel, but TAS timing stops when the text box closes since you need to hit a button for it. Conversely, Blaster Master stops earlier by TAS timing than SDA timing, because you have control while the boss is exploding even though you don't have to do anything else at that point, so the TAS just stops as soon as the last grenade is tossed.

That said, yeah, the SMB1 tas would be 4:54-ish by SDA timing.

There's a couple of TASes which just stop input as soon as the final boss shows up and finish the game anyway to shave time off.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pyromance posted:

Yeah, here's a video of the trick that allows it to be done. After sitting in Rom's stream and hearing what it would take to actually meet all the criteria and get a sub-7 clock rush, I think this is probably TAS only.
... what just happened? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So guys somebody completed Earthbound in four minutes that's pretty cool right?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvJqzYpWms i don't understand what's going on

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 20, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheQat posted:

I love that the first part of the video is just making music with the menu sounds (Earthbound still has the best menu sounds of all time)
Yeah I think he was just wasting time to get to when it was time to deploy the crazy trick?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Garfu posted:

Can someone briefly explain what's happening here? I read the whole description of the video but I still don't get the point it.
I think he's trying to get the star which requires you to fly through those coin formations in the sky, without actually collecting any, which requires loving around with objects to make some of the coins not load?

EDIT: Yeah that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's a reason I've never considered actually making a TAS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

There's always the Escapipe sequence break in Phantasy Star 3.

You have to sell all of your starting equipment to afford it, and if you use it you get teleported out of the story jail cell and the king basically says "Good job, but you hosed up the plot. Try again."
Not to mention the later one they didn't catch which lets you skip an entire generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

Tompa is a boss dude. All of his commentary at AGDQ was interesting.

I feel like eventually most of the TAS videos are going to be:

1) Find a way to execute arbitrary code.
2) Call ending.

At least people will still make fun TAS's like the Melee one.
Nah they'll have categories for things that are more gameplay-oriented too.

• Locked thread