Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Former Human posted:

Ugh, I really need to ignore the chat for the Ocarina of Time stream.

"Why is he walking backwards? That's dumb."

It's a speedrun. You move faster that way. He isn't doing it to look cool.

"Why does he keep restarting? Why doesn't he use save states?"

He's playing on a console!

"The OoT record isn't 2:42:31 it's 59 minutes lol you suck."

That's a different category. This is an all-boss run.

"Why would you skip [insert trick here]."

:wrongful:

You forgot the best one:

"Why is this in Japanese?"

Dear god. Don't forget these get repeated every 3-4 minutes without fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
And he does it, nearly 2 minutes better than the old. 2:40:44.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

2600 viewers by the end, that's pretty serious.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I like the 3 Funkdoc Castlevanias because even though he's pretty banal he makes up with great gameplay. The God Hand might be good(might). Your Kid Chameleon should be fun. Both Portals bore me to tears. Jman's Ninja Gaiden's are always good and I'll be interested to see UA do 3. Will definitely tune in for Yoshi's Island as Tri-Hex seems to have more flair than most runners and that makes YI very fun to watch.

The only thing I really don't like seeing in there is the 12 hour block for VII. That's just ridiculous and horrible watching for everyone. Plus Rane grates on my nerves really bad.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I don't hate Rane the person, I just hate Rane the guy who talked the entire time he was in the room last year. He just has no filter, is really loud and talks over everyone. I'm sure he's a nice guy, he just talks too much.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mega Man races can be a lot of fun. Simon's LP thread of MM4 has a race in it and it's a mixture of hilarious drunken play and some serious skill. If you get 3-4 quality runners racing it can get really exciting.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You guys weren't kidding with that Keen, he annihilated it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

:stare: doesn't even begin to cover it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea I almost get the feeling they'd disqualify nero's run the second he skipped Lakitu's intro speech.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

furry drum circle posted:

Also here's a new UMK3 playaround video with a ton of golden moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NZpzgbQpc

Not entirely sure what I just saw but my god was it fun to watch.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That run is so good you could pass it off as the TAS and I don't think anyone is picking up the difference. That's insanely perfect.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Well I managed to work things out so I actually will get to see Tri-Hex's YI run tonight. I'm pretty happy as I was looking down the pages for what I'd miss and was instantly disappointed but things worked out in the end so hooray.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

My understanding is it's largely in there because it's so inserted into nerd nostalgia that it just lends itself to making shitloads of money. I think the game's aged terribly and I personally have watched about 5 minutes of it during both years but people love it and just throw their wallets at it so I understand why they do it.

I really wish they wouldn't close with it and I really wish they'd put the first 6 hours on from like 3AM-9AM so people can sleep and not really miss anything but what can you do?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

AnacondaHL posted:

Nero's on Twitch.tv doing a 70 star run!
http://www.twitch.tv/neronero679

Just turned into a race with Sig.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Liku posted:

I love watching Sig run but god drat the people in this chat are some of the most annoying denizens of the internet, I can't stand it. I think it gets to me because it's live.

Gear symbol -> Hide Chat

Usually what I do when watching any stream.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

As does UraniumAnchor.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Funkdoc's Castlevania I/III/IV runs are great and he does awesome commentary just by himself. Mega Man 9's buster only is really good and has a ton of clutch moments. The Ninja Gaiden race is good, PJ wrecks Battletoads and the TMNT4 is always fun. Both PunchOut ones are good(blind PunchOut!) as well. Kareshi's Ghost n' Goblins shows you how a ridiculous game can be owned and the Super Ghouls n' Ghosts race with him and PJ is great. Also the SMB3 small-Mario all levels, too. All the Contras are good and whatever I've missed has probably already been said.

Still waiting on OOT myself, watched just about everything I've had an interest in watching.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

The description makes that sound not very marathon viable. Still crazy.

Not very considering what's at stake with a death.

Besides, a year from now there is no telling what will be discovered.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zachol posted:

If the approval process for speedruns is so complicated and slow, why even bother with a game as recent as Super Meat Boy? Won't any run be obsolete by the time it gets up on the site?
Or am I underestimating how often new records get posted for all games? I remember seeing repeated new Mario 64 times which kind of boggles my mind.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not really familiar with the behind the scenes parts of speedruns. I just like watching them. :)

Those more popular speedrunning games move so fast it just doesn't make sense to constantly keep submitting them to SDA.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

It really never gets old.

Also if I'm reading chat right sig just got 49:32 on the 70 star run. :toot:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Liku posted:

It was old when it started, and no he didn't.

Well,

bye.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Do they have a list or at least a rough guess of what's being run for SGDQ?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Holy poo poo I hope people manage to mention that in donations next year. It was sad to see him treat his mom like that but on the other hand I was laughing pretty hard.

I got really weirded out by his attitude in the Ninja Gaiden race when he blew it at the end and basically started smacking himself in the head and at least restraining what was likely a river of cursing ready to come out. You could see the other runners in the room get weirded out by it, too. That he raged at the stream, who could clearly hear him getting upset and understanding he needed to take a breather, is ridiculous as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Didn't even see the upload comments.

quote:

AUTISTIC MANCHILD GETS MAD AT VIDEO GAME AND IS RUDE TO PARENTS, GETS LAID THE gently caress OUT ON LIVE INTERNET STREAM

:laffo:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Both Startropics, Rygar race, Legacy of the Wizard race, Megaman 1/4/5, Zelda 1 and 2, Duck Tales 1 and 2 and Legend of the Mystical Ninja will be must watch for me.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Well, Mike is dumb and wrong. I don't even care about you beating the game, I'd rather watch you play and rage before I want to see another boring RPG or SOTN being run for the 3,000th time.

And I'd guarantee you goons would probably go a long way towards helping you if it became a donation goal. Just keep on him about the support you're getting for the game, maybe you'll break him down eventually.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Summer Games needs to be the time when they unleash new runs and in general have a bit more fun with the schedule. I get why certain games are always going to be featured but maybe save more of the usual suspects for the big one and let people try some new ones out in the summer to see if maybe something is worth doing again in January.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

My understanding of Twin Galaxies is they're how your parents would attempt to speed run a game. Perish the thought of exploiting game mechanics.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

He taught him the Gohma fight double KO, and now they're doing the movement into the edge of the warp and using Ocarina Items to play a bottle like an ocarina.

I love how this sentence gets crazier and crazier. They've just so broken this game beyond anything I've ever seen.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

So funny hearing spiderwaffles name. I remember playing A/D with him in TFC(3v!) like nearly a decade ago.

Good memories :3:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Funkdoc decided to do some early morning streams and I decided to tune in and got to see him break the CV3 Trevor-only WR with a new 29:36.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 19, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

It's a really good run. It starts off a bit slow but about midway he picks it up and just tears it apart. Almost everything in the 2nd half of his run goes his way when he needs it to outside of a few minor things.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

:laffo: this thing just gets better and better. Donate at Summer Games and make that your comment and see how far they read it before they stop.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

How do you know when dudes are streaming?

SDA has an active list of them http://www.w00ty.com/sda/stream/

and then I just end up following the streams of guys I enjoy watching and get the e-mail alerts when they start streaming.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

It is a derail but man is it ever hilarious. He's so incredibly quick to rage at anything that it makes him picking difficult videogames to learn how to perfect and speedrun even that more odd.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Keyboard Kid posted:

Wasn't Jman the one constantly yelling 'gently caress' 'poo poo' 'drat' etc during his run, although everyone was explicitly told not to use that kind of language for this event (which most other runners had no issue with; they also banned in chat for this I think)? I remember people saying oh, it's okay because it's jman lol which I honestly think is enough of a reason to keep him barred from the event. His speeches are also the absolute worst.

His Shinobi run was the one where he lost it at that boss and just yelled out like 4-5 explicit words in a row. I believe the "law" allows for one every half-hour but he seemingly ignores that on a rather consistent basis. That and most people use their 1 for the occasional "drat" or "poo poo" not "you cocksucking human being whore thundercunt" or some other verbal diarrhea that seems to spew from his mouth when he can't accept his inability to beat a game at a specific level of play.

I am not in charge of the marathons and I understand SGDQ is set and ready to go in about a month but I think at this point they should cut ties with him for future marathons and perhaps revisit the notion for 2014 or so. People are going to troll him at SGDQ and it will bring down the quality of the marathon and in the end the people running it will have themselves to blame. He's an adult. There's no reason to toss pity at him like you would a child. Mike and the others in charge need to sit down with him and explain that he does represent the same community and that his antics reflect poorly upon the community.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Been watching it since the start. He might have the WR in hand very shortly but he'll be finetuning it over the next few days anyways so tune in whenever you get a chance.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Good news is he had horrible luck all over that run and still more or less tied it so he's going to beat this record's rear end when he puts it all together and gets some good luck.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I didn't see the SMRPG play today but I have to say I feel a little let down by the marathon. Not exactly his fault, because you can't control for luck and you just never know what you're going to get. But one second off the WR.. After so much preparation, that's sad. He had a $500 fundraising goal and received $620, so that part went well for him.

I felt the same after he basically tied the thing the first night, it seemed like he was just going to wreck the thing in a day or two. He got so burnt out by the end but what can you do. I'm sure he'll come back and get the run he wants soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think my personal watchlist is going to be both Startropics, Contra 3 and 4, Shatterhand, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Legacy of the Wizard(race!), Typing of the Dead, Zelda II, Rygar(race!), both Duck Tales, and maybe LBP.

I like the variety they're tossing in here and a few of these are going to be extremely fun to watch, like the Legacy race.

• Locked thread